Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-31-10, 07:00 AM   #1
Amoxicillin
Waiting to commute...
Thread Starter
 
Amoxicillin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Basel, Switzerland
Bikes: Number of bikes changing ...
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lauren Fignon - RIP :((

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/20100...-est-mort.html

deeply sorry to hear that :_(
Amoxicillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 07:52 AM   #2
Namenda
.
 
Namenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: "The Woo", MA
Bikes:
Posts: 4,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Terribly sad.
Namenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 08:15 AM   #3
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá
 
jfmckenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The edge of b#
Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.
Posts: 5,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Reposer en paix
jfmckenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 08:57 AM   #4
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,160
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Fignon had an excellent career. Had things gone a little different, he could have been close to the all time greats. Injury cost him a shot at least 2 TDF wins, and an epic ride by Lemond (and not tucking his ponytail in) cost him another.

Its unfortunate that Fignon is defined to many (at least Americans) by a loss, rather than his wins.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 08:58 AM   #5
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,160
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
1982 Criterium International
1983 Tour de France
1 stage, Tour de France
1 stage, Vuelta a España
1984 Tour de France
5 stages, Tour de France
KoM, Giro d'Italia
1 stage, Giro d'Italia
1986 Flèche Wallone
1987 1 stage, Tour de France
1 stage, Vuelta a España
1988 Milan - San Remo
1989 Giro d'Italia
1 stage, Giro d'Italia
Milan - San Remo
Grand Prix des Nations
Trofeo Angelo Baracchi, with Thierry Marie
Tour of Holland
1 stage, Tour de France
Critérium des As
1990 Criterium International
1992 1 stage, Tour de France
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 09:04 AM   #6
bellweatherman
Senior Member
 
bellweatherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin
Bikes: Too many to count
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow. Only 50 years old too. Very sad indeed.

Besides a great champion, he was also one of the classiest professional riders around. A very smart and humble man. French cycling fans used to call him Le Professeur.

RIP Laurent.
bellweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 09:10 AM   #7
bellweatherman
Senior Member
 
bellweatherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin
Bikes: Too many to count
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
Fignon had an excellent career. Had things gone a little different, he could have been close to the all time greats.

He was one of the all time greats. Period. No ifs. He had, by any measure, a very successful career.
bellweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 09:36 AM   #8
wobblyoldgeezer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Brighton, UK
Bikes: Rocky Mountain Solo, Specialised Sirrus Triple (quick road tourer), Santana Arriva Tandem
Posts: 1,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
From a recent interview

Je n’ai pas envie de mourir à 50 ans, mais si c’est incurable, qu’est-ce que j’y peux ? J’aime la vie, j’adore rigoler, voyager, lire, bien bouffer, comme un bon Français. Je n’ai pas peur de la mort, je n’en ai juste pas envie !

I don't want to die at 50, but if it's incurable, what can I do about it? I love life, I love to have a laugh, to travel, to read, to eat well, like a good Frenchman. I'm not afraid of death, I just don't want it. (My translation)

I have nothing but admiration and regret
wobblyoldgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 09:49 AM   #9
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,160
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellweatherman View Post
He was one of the all time greats. Period. No ifs. He had, by any measure, a very successful career.
No doubt he had a wonderful career, and one 99.9% of professional cyclists would envy.

However it depends how you define all time greats. 20 people have won 2 or more Tour de Frances.

You would have to put Fignon a rung below Anquetil, Merckx, Armstrong, Coppi, Hinault, Indurain, Contador, and arguably Lemond.

My point however, was that had things broken a bit different for him, he could have been considered as one of the top handful of all time.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 09:55 AM   #10
bellweatherman
Senior Member
 
bellweatherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin
Bikes: Too many to count
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
No doubt he had a wonderful career, and one 99.9% of professional cyclists would envy.

However it depends how you define all time greats. 20 people have won 2 or more Tour de Frances.

You would have to put Fignon a rung below Anquetil, Merckx, Armstrong, Coppi, Hinault, Indurain, Contador, and arguably Lemond.

My point however, was that had things broken a bit different for him, he could have been considered as one of the top handful of all time.


To those that didn't become a cycling fan since 2000, the sport of cycling is not just about the Tour de France.

Fignon's palmares are up there with the best. He IS one of the greatest.
bellweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 10:04 AM   #11
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,160
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellweatherman View Post
To those that didn't become a cycling fan since 2000, the sport of cycling is not just about the Tour de France.

Fignon's palmares are up there with the best. He IS one of the greatest.
Taking, Armstrong, and Contador out of the equation, haivng ridden in an era focusing on the TDF, Fignon's palmares are not that overwhelming in comparison to multiple Grand Tour winners.

Fignon had 3 classics wins, and a Giro win in addition to his 2 Tour de Frances.

That certainly doesn not put him in the same league as Merckx, Hinault, Anequetil, Coppi. Arguably not ahead of Lemond (with 3 grand tour wins and 2 world championships). And comparable to the palmares of a number of 2 time TDF winners.

And I'm not trying to denigrate Fignon. My point again is to suggest that with a little bit different luck, he could have been considered alongside Indurain, Hinault, etc., and as luck played out, he fell a bit short of that.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 10:48 AM   #12
Kayce
Senior Member
 
Kayce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St Louis
Bikes:
Posts: 1,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fignon is always the one I point out when people suggest I would be a better rider with contacts.

Also to argue that Lemond was in a higher leauge than Lemond is wrong. 2 tours, 1 giro, 2 Milan- San Remos, 2Criterium Interantionals, stages at all 3 grand tours, and second at a tour based on equiptment not skill.

Lemond never had the varitey and quality of wins, I think a lot of people's view of him is tinged by being American. He was a great ride, and changed the sport more than any other professional, but Fignon was a better bike racer.
Kayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 11:12 AM   #13
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,160
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayce View Post
Also to argue that Lemond was in a higher leauge than Lemond is wrong. 2 tours, 1 giro, 2 Milan- San Remos, 2Criterium Interantionals, stages at all 3 grand tours, and second at a tour based on equiptment not skill.

Lemond never had the varitey and quality of wins, I think a lot of people's view of him is tinged by being American. He was a great ride, and changed the sport more than any other professional, but Fignon was a better bike racer.
I think its debateable. Lemond won 2 world championships, and the Dauphine Libere, a stage of the Giro, 3rd and 4th place finshes in the Giro.

I think most people would take a World Championship over a Milan San Remo win (and Lemond almost won Milan San Remo, and a few other classics.) And the Dauphine is at least on a par with the Criterium International.

Lemond couldn't have won the Super Prestige Pernod trophy without consistnely high results in quality events.

Lemond also lost more of his potential to injury than Fignon.

Finally Lemond beat Fignon head to head on the cycling's largest stage.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 11:18 AM   #14
Jed19 
Senior Member
 
Jed19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 4,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A sad day! He was a real classy gentleman.

May the winds be at his back always.
__________________
Regards,

Jed
Jed19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 11:53 AM   #15
Flaneur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Fignon was a great rider, with a flamboyant attacking style. He had the mentality of a Patron, which he needed, to take on the quality of opponent that was around in the 80's. His Tour victory of '84 was a fantastic destruction of the opposition, completed in a dismissive, irresistable manner.

His classic and stage wins were often achieved in a similarly unpredictable and courageous way- attacking early and holding the whole field at bay.

One of my favourite riders of all. Nobody from the last 20 years compares- a true original.
Flaneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 12:57 PM   #16
gnome 
shaken, not stirred.
 
gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Shaky Isles.
Bikes: I've lost count.
Posts: 3,082
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Rip.
__________________
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
vBulletin: snafu
gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 02:00 PM   #17
ultraman6970
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is sad, one of the greatest. And i put him with the biggest guys.
ultraman6970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 07:07 PM   #18
bellweatherman
Senior Member
 
bellweatherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin
Bikes: Too many to count
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I put him up there with the greatest also. No stupid qualifying remarks and no ifs. Anyone who didn't just get all their info off of Wiki knows what Fignon has accomplished. Fignon was second to Lemond in 1989. Both great champions. He doesn't have the Tour wins as the legendary Merckx, or Hinault. He is 2nd to no one though as a true champion. There is no doubt though the legacy he left as an iconic figure in pro cycling.
bellweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 07:37 PM   #19
SBRDude
Godfather of Soul
 
SBRDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex, 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert,2008 Gary Fischer Hi Fi Carbon, 2002 Specialized S-Works hard tail, 1990 Kestrel KM 40
Posts: 1,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
I think its debateable. Lemond won 2 world championships, and the Dauphine Libere, a stage of the Giro, 3rd and 4th place finshes in the Giro.

I think most people would take a World Championship over a Milan San Remo win (and Lemond almost won Milan San Remo, and a few other classics.) And the Dauphine is at least on a par with the Criterium International.

Lemond couldn't have won the Super Prestige Pernod trophy without consistnely high results in quality events.

Lemond also lost more of his potential to injury than Fignon.

Finally Lemond beat Fignon head to head on the cycling's largest stage.
Very sad about Fignon. I recall hearing that he was ill, but this is still sad news.

Regarding Lemond, the way I look at it is that he had the ability to beat Hinault in Hinault's last victory, which would have meant that Hinault only won 4 times and Lemond 4 times. That was a team decision, not a victory decided by talent (arguably, at least). Also, who knows what Lemond might have done if he didn't have that hunting accident. Like you said, luck (or fate, perhaps) plays a role in how we remember these guys.

RIP, Laurent Fignon.
SBRDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 09:18 PM   #20
Laggard
Lance Hater
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 4,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Shocked as I thought he was doing ok.

Saddened because he was an amazing rider and a nice person.
Laggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 09:21 PM   #21
scary_perry
Fatso
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary, Canada
Bikes: 2010 GIANT TCX 1, 2010 Tomac Cortez
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
50 is young. Metastasized cancer is a killer. Poor guy went down fighting, but it was in his intestines, pancreas, lungs and throat. He was a real character that gave a lot to the sport. Very sad.
scary_perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-10, 03:24 AM   #22
frpax
Steel is real, baby!
 
frpax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tempe, AZ
Bikes: 1987 Basso Gap; 1987 Specialized Sirrus; 1990 Miyata 721A
Posts: 2,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Very sad. One of my favorites.

May he rest in peace. He's in a better place now.
frpax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-10, 08:33 AM   #23
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,160
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellweatherman View Post
Anyone who didn't just get all their info off of Wiki knows what Fignon has accomplished.
Dude, I first started paying attention to Professional cycling during Merckx's career. I watched Fignon win his Tours. I followed his career as best you could in America at the time, having suscribed to Velonews for 30 plus years. I've been to the Tour twice, and ridden a fair sampling of the major climbs of the TDF.

While I'll use on line resources to insure my recollection is correct, and to document what I say, our assumption that my knowledge of professional cycling is gleaned from the internet after 1999 is sorely mistaken.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-10, 08:35 AM   #24
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,160
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
Shocked as I thought he was doing ok.

Saddened because he was an amazing rider and a nice person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scary_perry View Post
50 is young. Metastasized cancer is a killer. Poor guy went down fighting, but it was in his intestines, pancreas, lungs and throat. He was a real character that gave a lot to the sport. Very sad.
Pancreatic cancer is almost always fatal; once you get the diagnosis it's too late. The 5 year survival rate is below 5%.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 12:52 AM   #25
E.A. Webb
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
Dude, I first started paying attention to Professional cycling during Merckx's career. I watched Fignon win his Tours. I followed his career as best you could in America at the time, having suscribed to Velonews for 30 plus years. I've been to the Tour twice, and ridden a fair sampling of the major climbs of the TDF.

While I'll use on line resources to insure my recollection is correct, and to document what I say, our assumption that my knowledge of professional cycling is gleaned from the internet after 1999 is sorely mistaken.
There were some posts in this thread that are now deleted which bellweatherman was responding to.
E.A. Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:13 PM.