Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cancellara leaving Saxo Bank

    http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/...xo-bank_141136

    So we may as well start up the rumors here where he's going. I'll go ahead and throw out the obvious one that he is following the Schleck brothers to their new team. Anybody want to start some others?
    Everyone has a right to an opinion. However, this does not mean that one's opinion is right.

  2. #2
    Heretic Caretaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3
    Posts
    1,292
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionKhan View Post
    Anybody want to start some others?
    Team Honda
    History is the future

  3. #3
    Senior Member Kayce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    1,846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BMC is the only other team with enough money, and it seems like he would much prefer the Luxembourg team. Lots more friendly faces, more classics riders and more of a chance to contest GT stages.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rotten Bastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee thanks for the spoiler alert




  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotten Bastard View Post
    Gee thanks for the spoiler alert




    Spoiler?
    Everyone has a right to an opinion. However, this does not mean that one's opinion is right.

  6. #6
    Heretic Caretaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3
    Posts
    1,292
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayce View Post
    BMC is the only other team with enough money, and it seems like he would much prefer the Luxembourg team. Lots more friendly faces, more classics riders and more of a chance to contest GT stages.
    Or he could join Radio Shack. That way he'd have more of a chance to contest the ToC.

    My money is on Radio Schleck.*

    *You have to be over 60 and from uk/Ireland to get it.
    Last edited by Caretaker; 09-19-10 at 05:14 AM.
    History is the future

  7. #7
    snob rogwilco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    1,178
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a big surprise I guess. No idea how much money Cancellara is getting but it's probably less than he could get with a new contract.

  8. #8
    Senior Member collegeskier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Evanston, IL
    My Bikes
    Felt F5, Fuji Robaix Pro and a KHS Mountain Bike
    Posts
    817
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He must already have an idea of where he is going and how much money they are going to offer him. It sort of looks like Riis is having management problems though. I am thinking the dynamic behind the scenes there is not good at all.

  9. #9
    Dropped again guadzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    A small tropical island
    My Bikes
    Damocles, Shiv, Lynskey, X-Fire, LHT, +
    Posts
    3,455
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More likely he wants to go to a team where he is the main star, and not an uber-domestique.
    Peace is knowing someone else is suffering more than you are.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Kayce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    1,846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was definatly a big star on Saxo, the same way he would be on any team. And by being on a team with a GT contender he had more focus than if he was on say Omega-Pharma, FDJ, or Quickstep.

    I dont believe the problems of Riis's management. If anything its a good sign that he built a team that wants to stick together, which is what I think the issue is. Riis has always been good at building a great group of rides that work so well together. And thats what the Schlux team is trying to do.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Rotten Bastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionKhan View Post
    Spoiler?
    it was a joke, amigo. a bad one.

  12. #12
    Senior Member nvrlnd7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vista,CA
    My Bikes
    Tommaso Aggraziato,Schwinn Varsity TT Custom
    Posts
    253
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    conti kit..jpgThe 2011 saxobank kit,and the real reason cancellara left ! i like it,but i see why spartacus would be a little upset.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
    Meh, it wasn't hard to see that one coming.

    I'm kinda surprised the "Contador has no chance to win the TDF because Saxo will be a weak team now that everyone went with the Schlecks' team" threads haven't started yet.
    Everyone has a right to an opinion. However, this does not mean that one's opinion is right.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well eventally if contador is so good as everybody says he should be able to win the tour all by himself. He can TT big time and climbs awesome, the issue now is who is going to "advice him" because he doesn't look to have so much brains and probably we will see more screw ups next season than ever before.

  16. #16
    Senior Member collegeskier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Evanston, IL
    My Bikes
    Felt F5, Fuji Robaix Pro and a KHS Mountain Bike
    Posts
    817
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
    Well eventally if contador is so good as everybody says he should be able to win the tour all by himself. He can TT big time and climbs awesome, the issue now is who is going to "advice him" because he doesn't look to have so much brains and probably we will see more screw ups next season than ever before.
    Riis is a big name manager with huge credentials and as much as I think he has a team in crisis at the end of this year, I think he can give plenty of advice to Contador. I don't think that staying at Astana with Vino heading up the bunch could have been better by any stretch of the imagination. Unless of course advice means PEDS in which case I am sure he has a connection still.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know if you have noticed but every team in last 3 to 5 years for him has been weird, sorry for this but some Spaniards are pretty brute and looks like AC is one of them so he is more like a darn animal that u have to keep well controlled or some stuff will happens, i dont think he is a racer that you can thrust that much either, he attacks when he shouldnt and weird behavoir also, i don't know if that's because he has been controled too much or is just like a racer that the ADD just gets him in the races or in the most important momments, personally i dont like him because u never know what it will happens and just just does nothing to win sometimes. This year if it wasnt because AS doesnt know how to shift he could have been in big troubles, he did nothing in the mountains and people was xpecting stuff like LA or Pantani type of attachs (I miss this type of crashing the adversary demonstrations) but he showed up nothing. That's why I imply before that I hope now he shows how good he is or Riiis will be in big troubles stuck with him and with a super weak team, just like it was happening to evans at lotto.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
    I dont know if you have noticed but every team in last 3 to 5 years for him has been weird, sorry for this but some Spaniards are pretty brute and looks like AC is one of them so he is more like a darn animal that u have to keep well controlled or some stuff will happens, i dont think he is a racer that you can thrust that much either, he attacks when he shouldnt and weird behavoir also, i don't know if that's because he has been controled too much or is just like a racer that the ADD just gets him in the races or in the most important momments, personally i dont like him because u never know what it will happens and just just does nothing to win sometimes. This year if it wasnt because AS doesnt know how to shift he could have been in big troubles, he did nothing in the mountains and people was xpecting stuff like LA or Pantani type of attachs (I miss this type of crashing the adversary demonstrations) but he showed up nothing. That's why I imply before that I hope now he shows how good he is or Riiis will be in big troubles stuck with him and with a super weak team, just like it was happening to evans at lotto.
    First off, this thread is about Cancellara. Secondly, everything in your post is nonsense.

    Assuming that you are talking about Contador, which this thread was NOT about and is appears you were caught up in a fanboy rant: Well, nobody has noticed it because you have no idea what the hell you're talking about. There was nothing weird about Astana this year. The team fully supported AC and he won the TdF. The rest of your BS post about Spaniards being "brute" and "more like a darn animal that u have to keep well controlled or some stuff will happens" is pure crap. It was Alberto Contador that rode the tactical controlled race this year. It was Andy Schleck that made the critical mistake. Nobody, that mattered, took any time out of AC in the mountains. On one mountain stage AS took about 10 seconds. And on another mountain stage AC took the same 10 back from AS. I'm sure you were one of the people who harped all year about how weak Astana would be and that there would be no way AC could win. Well, you're wrong. Riis will put together a strong team and Contador will be the favorite next year. Schleck might get him, then again he might not. But this crap you're throwing about about AC being out of control or having ADD is nonsense. Your implication that you "now hope he shows how good he is" is stupid. Alberto Contador has won the last 5 grand tours that he's raced in. He's the best tour rider in the world right now. That's how good he is. You have a right to your opinion. The problem is that your opinion is wrong. Its smacks of racist overtones and is baseless in factual support. I know my reply may seem harsh, but to many times we allow stupid opinion to be blathered about unchecked.

    Why don't you just admit that you don't like AC because he's a potential threat to Lance Armstrong's? AC stood up the Armstrong and JB and still won. There is nothing wrong with it. Just stop trying manufacture silly reasons for not liking AC or to denigrate his ability as a bike racer. Jeez, get over it already.
    Everyone has a right to an opinion. However, this does not mean that one's opinion is right.

  19. #19
    Velo Club La Grange Cat4Lifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    MDR, CA
    Posts
    1,215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionKhan View Post
    Secondly, everything in your post is nonsense.
    lol
    I didnt' make it below the third line.

    I read Cancellara was unsure about which team he would be on next year,
    but Riis's decision to boot Andy from the Vuelta helped him make up his mind.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Kayce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    1,846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read Cancellara was unsure about which team he would be on next year,
    but Riis's decision to boot Andy from the Vuelta helped him make up his mind.
    Where?

  21. #21
    Velo Club La Grange Cat4Lifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    MDR, CA
    Posts
    1,215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just skimmed the article.
    It was either velonews or cyclingnews.

  22. #22
    snob rogwilco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    1,178
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm. seems like Cancellara doesn't have much personal ambition beyond doing what he's been doing at CSC/Saxo Bank the last couple years. A little boring imo, I would've liked to see what Cancellara could be able to do if he tried improving his climbing ability, but whatever, being known as the best time trialler is nice too I guess.

  23. #23
    Senior Member gear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    North shore of Mass.
    Posts
    2,131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogwilco View Post
    Hm. seems like Cancellara doesn't have much personal ambition beyond doing what he's been doing at CSC/Saxo Bank the last couple years. A little boring imo, I would've liked to see what Cancellara could be able to do if he tried improving his climbing ability, but whatever, being known as the best time trialler is nice too I guess.
    Most professional athletes try and improve aspects of their performance that they are deficient with. I would be surprised to find that Cancellara hasn't worked on climbing to become as good at it as he can be in that area. The problem for Cancellara and climbing would be be less about desire and more about body type. He's big with lots of muscle. Turning this body type into a climber would be like trying to turn a full back into a wide receiver. You can make improvements but you just can't change completely.

  24. #24
    Professional Fuss-Budget Bacciagalupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,384
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think Cancellara has many illusions about expanding his repertoire. He is supposedly a top TT guy in no small part because he's incredibly flexible and can maintain a superbly aerodynamic position much longer than most other riders. Nothing about that lends itself to becoming a great climber; if he works on that at all, it's probably just so he can hang in the mountains, help the GC guy, and try to nail the final TT's.

    I'd also say that "best TT'er in the world" is actually a fairly ambitious goal. Many cyclists strive their entire career for a single TdF stage win, let alone to ride in yellow as much as he has.

  25. #25
    Senior Member collegeskier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Evanston, IL
    My Bikes
    Felt F5, Fuji Robaix Pro and a KHS Mountain Bike
    Posts
    817
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogwilco View Post
    Hm. seems like Cancellara doesn't have much personal ambition beyond doing what he's been doing at CSC/Saxo Bank the last couple years. A little boring imo, I would've liked to see what Cancellara could be able to do if he tried improving his climbing ability, but whatever, being known as the best time trialler is nice too I guess.
    I think he is excelling in what he does best, and clearly one of the best cyclist in the world. Did you catch Paris-Roubaix, the pain he dished out in the TDF, the gold and rainbow kit whenever he time trials. Not to mention a bronze medal in road race. What greater ambition do you want him to have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •