Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Professional Cycling For the Fans (http://www.bikeforums.net/professional-cycling-fans/)
-   -   Wow. The Giro is awesome... (http://www.bikeforums.net/professional-cycling-fans/737121-wow-giro-awesome.html)

2ndGen 05-21-11 07:33 AM

Wow. The Giro is awesome...
 
I am a total newb when it comes to pro racing so excuse my gushing. I watch it when it's on, but I have no idea of the mechanics of a race. Last year, I watched whatever I could and my GF sat with me throughout the entire TDF which was a really pleasant deal.

However, I am thoroughly appreciating the cliche'ish term of the "human drama" of the race. I'm loving how teams work together and the humility of the lesser racers who put in their work for their stars.

I have to say, without spoiling anything, Conti is showing me a lot this year. I can't wait to see him at the TDF.

B. Realization 05-21-11 08:34 AM

I dunno if I would describe it as awesome. Seems that El Pistolero is in a class all by himself and is leaving the peleton scrapping for lesser podium spots at will. It would have been interesting if perhaps Rujano was closer in the standings.

I'm not sure what effect this will have on his performance at the TdF. Because of his dominating performance, I am thinking that he's peaked but don't know if one if able to peak again in time for the TdF.

IMO on thing is for sure...the UCI will move him up on the Index of Suspicion.

Jed19 05-21-11 08:47 AM

Contador is the best overall rider in the world right now. I just hope no dope is involved. My head thinks otherwise though.

mkadam68 05-21-11 09:39 AM

I think alot of people are anticipating Conty's appearance at France. But, as B.R. said, it's more about whether he can maintain his level of fitness or peak again after Italy. If he does... wow.

eddiepliers 05-21-11 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkadam68 (Post 12673606)
I think alot of people are anticipating Conty's appearance at France. But, as B.R. said, it's more about whether he can maintain his level of fitness or peak again after Italy. If he does... wow.

I bet you a bloodbank on it..

Chaco 05-22-11 09:41 AM

I love it too. But the video resolution is as bad as the race is good. I'm sure the organizers of the Giro would like their event to have the same status as the Tour de France. They should start by improving the quality of the television feed. It's especially aggravating when you go from watching the Tour of California in hi def to the 1980's quality video of the Giro.

2ndGen 05-22-11 01:12 PM

Damn! Contador is...

http://www.catnaps.org/islamic/islam...nkeypickup.jpg

Caretaker 05-22-11 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaco (Post 12677156)
I love it too. But the video resolution is as bad as the race is good. I'm sure the organizers of the Giro would like their event to have the same status as the Tour de France. They should start by improving the quality of the television feed. It's especially aggravating when you go from watching the Tour of California in hi def to the 1980's quality video of the Giro.

Personally, I'd prefer to watch the Giro in B&W than the ToC in HD.

qmsdc15 05-22-11 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaco (Post 12677156)
I love it too. But the video resolution is as bad as the race is good. I'm sure the organizers of the Giro would like their event to have the same status as the Tour de France. They should start by improving the quality of the television feed. It's especially aggravating when you go from watching the Tour of California in hi def to the 1980's quality video of the Giro.

I watch La Gazzetta's free live stream on my computer. It's a better resolution and much fewer breaks for advertisements. It starts earlier than UniSports' program too. I also have the TV on for the English language commentary, but I listen to the Italian commentators too. They are better at naming the riders. The rider names are the only thing I understand in Italian.

vik 05-22-11 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jed19 (Post 12673470)
Contador is the best overall rider in the world right now. I just hope no dope is involved. My head thinks otherwise though.

Well I wouldn't bet my truck against the fact Contador is doping. History has shown us that everyone on the podium is doped. I think the tip is in the comments from other riders when they use certain words to highlight the fact that a guy like Contador is unstoppable, an alien in an other class, etc... To me that's code for "He's doped up to the gills".

cyclocommuter 05-22-11 04:47 PM

Personally, I'd prefer to watch the Giro in B&W than the ToC in HD.

+1. Same here.

RonH 05-22-11 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vik (Post 12678219)
Well I wouldn't bet my truck against the fact Contador is doping.

+1
A.C. the doper
http://images5.cpcache.com/product_z...quare-true.jpg

2ndGen 05-22-11 05:15 PM

And Contador is still kicking the other dopers butts! LOL

prettyshady 05-23-11 02:34 PM

I liek the way the Giro is adventurous with the route.

Tuesday is a TT with 1000 vertical meters of climbing, with mountain top finishes wednesday and thursday.

luxroadie 05-24-11 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaco (Post 12677156)
I love it too. But the video resolution is as bad as the race is good. I'm sure the organizers of the Giro would like their event to have the same status as the Tour de France. They should start by improving the quality of the television feed. It's especially aggravating when you go from watching the Tour of California in hi def to the 1980's quality video of the Giro.

Yeah - just knock down all of those mountains -- clear out that weather -- and route the race up Bald mountains. That'll fix those signal drops for sure and we can get back to watching exciting racing in great terrai ... oh wait...

kleinboogie 05-24-11 11:08 AM

Agreed that USN video feeds they buy are horrible. I got bored 4 days ago. TOC in HD owns. Cheers

Homebrew01 05-24-11 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 12678599)

How can you say that ? Just because he's winning ... He's never tested posi ...... oh ....um .... nevermind. :innocent:

iBiker 05-24-11 12:39 PM

I have to agree 2ndgen, I'm really liking the Giro (crappy video and all). I was gone over the weekend and just watched AC give Rujano the stage, that was nice of him.

I really enjoyed the Sprints, anyone else think the bunch sprints looked extra chaotic?...maybe it was just the video feed, but man, everyone looked just a little more helter skelter in the final Km to me.

My opinion on doping, a little jaded, but anyone winning elite level sports is on something. I fully admit I could be wrong, but it remains my opinion.

collegeskier 05-24-11 03:18 PM

I think it might be more interesting without AC. Then again they might not attack each other like they have been attacking AC. The struggle is more compelling when you crack one day and then are back the next.

hudsonbay 05-24-11 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndGen (Post 12678634)
And Contador is still kicking the other dopers butts! LOL

Lol - that's what I say about Lance. If the guy was really a doper he's still heck of a cycler to place 3rd in the TdF in 2009 (at age 38 iI think). Not that I think LA was on juice at the time.

wabbit 05-24-11 11:06 PM

the giro has always been my favourite of the grand tours...it's so much more fun than the TDF, especially the last few years when Lance won every tour...there's nothing like a stage in the Dolomites.
I found out too late that one of the digital channels has been carrying the Giro...i'm totally annoyed, because I would have upgraded.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:36 AM.