Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-21-11, 09:58 PM   #176
wabbit
Sprockette
 
wabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 5,503
great stage, but not for AC...i think it's true, he never really recovered from the giro but it's not like his career is over! he knows there will be other tours...next year he will have to consider skipping the giro. I still like him better than AS or FS though...
talk about the face of suffering though, Voeckler! You have to root for the guy!
__________________
You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. That's great...if you want to attract vermin.
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 10:53 PM   #177
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
talk about the face of suffering though, Voeckler! You have to root for the guy!

He should really have style points deducted for that tongue...
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 11:08 PM   #178
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider
 
gpsblake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South Carolina
Bikes:
Posts: 1,870
No one has mentioned this, but a ton of riders including Mark Cavendish were way below the cut off limit today. But the tour, not having the guts to eliminate to eliminate Cavendish and half the field.... just simply deducted 20 points from the points classification standings.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201..._a16&eref=sihp

Quote:
The pace was such that more than half of all riders finished so far behind Schleck that they would normally have been disqualified. But Tour organizers invoked a rule that allowed them to keep competing with a penalty.

The penalty lopped off 20 points from the stragglers in the competition for the green jersey for best sprinter. Britain's Mark Cavendish saw his tally fall to 300 points - just 15 ahead of Jose Joaquin Rojas of Spain.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1So8pfWyA
gpsblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 11:17 PM   #179
Malloric
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsblake View Post
No one has mentioned this, but a ton of riders including Mark Cavendish were way below the cut off limit today. But the tour, not having the guts to eliminate to eliminate Cavendish and half the field.... just simply deducted 20 points from the points classification standings.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201..._a16&eref=sihp
Because eliminating half the field would be a good thing, why?
Malloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 11:25 PM   #180
Dolomiti
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Because eliminating half the field would be a good thing, why?
Or for an alternative viewpoint... whats to stop the autobus from deciding "since they won't eliminate us no matter how far behind we finish, why not joyride it and finish an hour behind the leader?"
Dolomiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 11:32 PM   #181
Malloric
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 182
1) The threat of being eliminated.
2) The loss of points versus some other sprinter who decided not to "get with the program."

It's not like this was some "special exception." It's in the rules. It happens pretty much every year.
Malloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 11:56 PM   #182
Kind of Blued
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Golden, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
1) The threat of being eliminated.
2) The loss of points versus some other sprinter who decided not to "get with the program."

It's not like this was some "special exception." It's in the rules. It happens pretty much every year.
Just because it happens every year, doesn't mean it's not a special exception. If they have to make an exception to their rule every year, maybe their rule sucks.
Kind of Blued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 12:33 AM   #183
Malloric
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blued View Post
Just because it happens every year, doesn't mean it's not a special exception. If they have to make an exception to their rule every year, maybe their rule sucks.
Or maybe the rules are perfectly fine, which is why they were written the way they were. Just saying. I don't see how following the rules is "making an exception"....
Malloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 02:11 AM   #184
thenomad
Riding like its 1990
 
thenomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: IE, SoCal
Bikes:
Posts: 3,749
Oh please, i know its an opinion thread but geeze, to say that Andy didn't win it was just the chasers who gave it to him is rediculous. Those same folks would be all "rah rah" if it were Alberto instead, saying he smoked them tactically etc.

Don't diminish the game of tactics, teams, mental games and individual riders that make up the Tour. Just enjoy it for what it was, another great stage in an otherwise close tour with lots of drama. I cheer for AS and AC and like CE and TV too.

Just relish the fact that tomorrow and Saturday will be great as well. So nice to see that the tour hasn't been decided by the second week with the rest of it merely a parade.
thenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 04:25 AM   #185
bikeride 
smell'n bacon
 
bikeride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
Oh please, i know its an opinion thread but geeze, to say that Andy didn't win it was just the chasers who gave it to him is rediculous. Those same folks would be all "rah rah" if it were Alberto instead, saying he smoked them tactically etc.

Don't diminish the game of tactics, teams, mental games and individual riders that make up the Tour. Just enjoy it for what it was, another great stage in an otherwise close tour with lots of drama. I cheer for AS and AC and like CE and TV too.

Just relish the fact that tomorrow and Saturday will be great as well. So nice to see that the tour hasn't been decided by the second week with the rest of it merely a parade.
Amen to that. AS made an incredible ride yesterday and all the know-it-alls here are bending over backwards trying to downplay it. Whether you hate him or not he deserves THE credit for that ride.

Last edited by bikeride; 07-22-11 at 04:52 AM.
bikeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 06:08 AM   #186
Skewer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
Contador has cracked; no beef this year?
Imo, It is much more likely just a guy who already has a hard effort in his legs winning the Giro.

Last edited by Skewer; 07-22-11 at 06:38 AM.
Skewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 10:30 AM   #187
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider
 
gpsblake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South Carolina
Bikes:
Posts: 1,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Because eliminating half the field would be a good thing, why?
Because it would guarantee they don't ever slack off like that again.
gpsblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:36 PM.