Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-11, 08:51 PM   #1
aussiecycling
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do we REALLY think of Cadel Evans?

Hey guys,

new around here... I found this funny and interesting article on Cadel Evans http://www.barry.com.au/2011/07/14/c...-is-your-life/

What do you think of it? What do you think of Cadel?
aussiecycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 09:10 PM   #2
mwchandler21
Senior Member
 
mwchandler21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mount Juliet, TN
Bikes: T1K
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think this belongs in the pro forum.
mwchandler21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 09:16 PM   #3
tagaproject6
Goodbye Leeroy Jenkins
 
tagaproject6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record);Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force);Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)
Posts: 7,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't know him personally so i can't make any sort of judgement. I think as an athlete, he is awesome! Except for that ridiculous chin
tagaproject6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 09:14 AM   #4
CbadRider
Administrator
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 5,962
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwchandler21 View Post
I think this belongs in the pro forum.
Yep, welcome to the Pro forum.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 10:01 AM   #5
Kind of Blued
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Golden, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"We"? Probably something stupid.
Kind of Blued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 11:10 AM   #6
prettyshady
12345
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: south france
Bikes:
Posts: 1,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I named my car cadel after its climbing ability
prettyshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 12:56 PM   #7
Nick Bain
Senior Member
 
Nick Bain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Driftless
Bikes: Caad8, Tarmac, Raleigh M80, Mukluk 3, Custom chopper.
Posts: 1,718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiecycling View Post
Hey guys,

new around here... I found this funny and interesting article on Cadel Evans http://www.barry.com.au/2011/07/14/c...-is-your-life/

What do you think of it? What do you think of Cadel?
I think he should be respected more than these blokes lead on. These buggars obviously don't no crap about cycling and should shut the front door. They sound like dumb shock jocks anyway.
Nick Bain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 01:04 PM   #8
Caretaker
Heretic
 
Caretaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3
Posts: 1,586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
What do I think of Evans?

I think he's a class GT rider. He's won a sprint stage, he's 3rd on GC and is a top class TTer. Provided he doesn't have a bad day in the mountains I could see him sealing the win on stage 20.

How he comes across post the white line is very much secondary in my book.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 05:54 PM   #9
OrionKhan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes:
Posts: 1,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretaker View Post
What do I think of Evans?

I think he's a class GT rider. He's won a sprint stage, he's 3rd on GC and is a top class TTer. Provided he doesn't have a bad day in the mountains I could see him sealing the win on stage 20.

How he comes across post the white line is very much secondary in my book.
This is my sentiment as well. He has taken a lot of heat for not winning a grand tour yet. But he's not really a pure climber. He can't drop the pure climbers on the big mountain stages. A very good TT man, very good climber. Former road World Champion. Basically a better Levi Leipheimer. This may be his year though. He could be in a position where he just has to hang on in the big mountains and then out TT the others.
OrionKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 06:00 PM   #10
SouthFLpix
Senior Member
 
SouthFLpix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011
Posts: 1,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know Cadel is looking really good right now, but there is this little voice in the back of my mind telling me that he's not going to go all the way. I think eventually he's going to blow up in the mountains.
SouthFLpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 06:14 PM   #11
OrionKhan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes:
Posts: 1,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFLpix View Post
I know Cadel is looking really good right now, but there is this little voice in the back of my mind telling me that he's not going to go all the way. I think eventually he's going to blow up in the mountains.
I hear what you're saying. But he never really blows up. Its more that he can't handle the big accelerations that a Contador or Schleck can put on. Him hanging today was a very good sign for him. But there are several more big mountains to come.
OrionKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 08:36 PM   #12
kimconyc
Seņor Member
 
kimconyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2007 Bianchi HoC 928 SL | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX
Posts: 3,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Really strong rider; never quite lived up to expectations.

The WCS made up for a lot of the let-downs, however; more-so than many others who also were expected to be the next best thing but ended up in super-domestique-or-top-20-purgatory.

Was legitimately robbed of the top spot in the 2009 Vuelta.

Seems a bit eccentric; talks about freeing Tibet but also threatens to cut your head off for stepping on his dog--some would say manic-depressive--I would be too for getting 2nd two years in a row in the TdF.

Weird climbing style. Why doesn't he spin an easier gear with more leg speed?

Good ITT'er but also looks really uncomfortable in his position.

Needs a real team with real trainers. And better "stuff".

Last edited by kimconyc; 07-14-11 at 08:40 PM.
kimconyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 09:45 PM   #13
reef58
Senior Member
 
reef58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wilmington, NC
Bikes: Serotta Nove
Posts: 1,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think Cadel blew his TDF opportunities in 2007 and 2008. He reminds me of Levi, but a bit stronger.

R
reef58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 09:48 PM   #14
kimconyc
Seņor Member
 
kimconyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2007 Bianchi HoC 928 SL | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX
Posts: 3,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reef58 View Post
I think Cadel blew his TDF opportunities in 2007 and 2008. He reminds me of Levi, but a bit stronger.

R
Agree 100%.

He REALLY blew it in 2008. Just didn't want it bad enough. Sastre had a magical tour that year. Legendary attack on Alpe d'Huez.
kimconyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 06:12 AM   #15
Farby
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NY
Bikes:
Posts: 640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
he looks like a muppet. but a great rider. A great rider who won't win though.
Farby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 09:05 AM   #16
Kind of Blued
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Golden, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Judging by the videos of him flipping out on people, I have a sneaking suspicion that he has some deep psychosocial problems that make winning a grand tour harder than the sting in the legs does.

Of course, this kind of foolish unqualified suspicion of people you've never met is what the stupid internet is for.
Kind of Blued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 10:19 AM   #17
cyclezen
OM boy
 
cyclezen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Goleta CA
Bikes: a bunch
Posts: 3,109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
seems normal to me
can talk with his legs
knows how to suffer
...we're all whiners at some time - it's what you do after, when you get it out of your system
he's not some whinny ***** flat stage sprinter
cyclezen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 12:28 PM   #18
Jed19 
Senior Member
 
Jed19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 4,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Excellent pro cyclist, but he won't win.

I once was pumping gas at a Costco next to Dr. Sammy Lee (two-time Olympian gold medalist and famous diving coach) and asked him what was the most important singular characteristic/sine qua non of a great athletic feat, in his experience.

Without any hesitation at all, he mentioned mental toughness. This is the quality I think Cadel is just a tad short on. And that is why he won't win this Tour.
__________________
Regards,

Jed
Jed19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 01:38 PM   #19
Keith99
Senior Member
 
Keith99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed19 View Post
Excellent pro cyclist, but he won't win.

I once was pumping gas at a Costco next to Dr. Sammy Lee (two-time Olympian gold medalist and famous diving coach) and asked him what was the most important singular characteristic/sine qua non of a great athletic feat, in his experience.

Without any hesitation at all, he mentioned mental toughness. This is the quality I think Cadel is just a tad short on. And that is why he won't win this Tour.
You may be right. I get the feeling that this may be the tour that sets thigns for Cadel. Either sets teh mental toughness as lacking or set his breakout.

And it may be somethgn little. Some little thing that makes him think it is his year or some little thing that makes him think he is cursed.
Keith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 05:43 PM   #20
900aero
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Forresters Beach, Australia.
Bikes: Pinarello FPQuattro, Giant XTC 29er
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimconyc View Post
Really strong rider; never quite lived up to expectations.

The WCS made up for a lot of the let-downs, however; more-so than many others who also were expected to be the next best thing but ended up in super-domestique-or-top-20-purgatory.

Was legitimately robbed of the top spot in the 2009 Vuelta.

Seems a bit eccentric; talks about freeing Tibet but also threatens to cut your head off for stepping on his dog--some would say manic-depressive--I would be too for getting 2nd two years in a row in the TdF.

Weird climbing style. Why doesn't he spin an easier gear with more leg speed?

Good ITT'er but also looks really uncomfortable in his position.

Needs a real team with real trainers. And better "stuff".

I think you're totally off the pace here and also in your comment below about blowing it in 2008. Agree with your comment about the Vuelta though. Slow wheel change from neutral service got him there. But you need to cut the guy some slack.

1) He was the 2009 road world champion and has also been a MTB world champ.
2) Wore the pink jersey in his debut GT at the Giro.
3) If BMC is not a real team, what is? Seriously, how pro do you need to be?
4) The 2008 TDF saw Sastre win by a small margin after his team targetted Cadel in the mountains with repeated attacks by both Schlecks and others - all of which he had to cover without strong support. I don't think anyone could have withstood this. The relative weakness of PharmaLotto was one of Cadels bigger problems at the time - although admittedly, his leadership was apparently not as strong as it is now.


Don't mean to be grumpy but I think you can acknowledge the guy a little more than this. The only race so far this year which he hasn't won is the Dauphine (2nd). That kind of record does not come to anybody.
900aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 06:29 PM   #21
kimconyc
Seņor Member
 
kimconyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2007 Bianchi HoC 928 SL | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX
Posts: 3,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900aero View Post
I think you're totally off the pace here and also in your comment below about blowing it in 2008. Agree with your comment about the Vuelta though. Slow wheel change from neutral service got him there. But you need to cut the guy some slack.

1) He was the 2009 road world champion and has also been a MTB world champ.
2) Wore the pink jersey in his debut GT at the Giro.
3) If BMC is not a real team, what is? Seriously, how pro do you need to be?
4) The 2008 TDF saw Sastre win by a small margin after his team targetted Cadel in the mountains with repeated attacks by both Schlecks and others - all of which he had to cover without strong support. I don't think anyone could have withstood this. The relative weakness of PharmaLotto was one of Cadels bigger problems at the time - although admittedly, his leadership was apparently not as strong as it is now.


Don't mean to be grumpy but I think you can acknowledge the guy a little more than this. The only race so far this year which he hasn't won is the Dauphine (2nd). That kind of record does not come to anybody.
Point #4 contradicts Point #3

His results indicate how he is as a rider.
kimconyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 06:46 PM   #22
900aero
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Forresters Beach, Australia.
Bikes: Pinarello FPQuattro, Giant XTC 29er
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How does Point 4 contradict 3? He was riding for Omega Pharma Lotto in 2008, not BMC. Sorry, don't follow.
900aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 06:47 PM   #23
Howzit
Big Blade
 
Howzit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 950
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it just me, or does it seem like EVERYONE not in the cycling community finds the crash involving the news car funny?
Howzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 08:08 PM   #24
reef58
Senior Member
 
reef58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wilmington, NC
Bikes: Serotta Nove
Posts: 1,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am no Cadel fan but Lotto was no use to him. Sorta like Levi riding for Gerolstein(sp)

R
reef58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 05:06 PM   #25
Howzit
Big Blade
 
Howzit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 950
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimconyc View Post
Point #4 contradicts Point #3

His results indicate how he is as a rider.
ZING!! haha, good one!
And i agree.
Howzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:05 PM.