Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-12-12, 06:23 PM   #1
Talldog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Several
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Whoa ... Froome is actually stronger than his "leader"

Must have the Sky brass stressing a bit. The Froomster definetly made a statement today. And Wiggins looked so vulnerable without him during said statement. The Froomster, on the other hand, looked almost invincible, so much so that he had to be reigned back in via team orders. Embarassing ... if you are Wiggins.

Surely Wiggo must love the terms of his signed contract .... LOL.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 06:30 PM   #2
thechemist
In the Pain Cave
 
thechemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Bikes:
Posts: 1,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I loved nibali's commentary afterwards. Any mention of wiggins was followed by froome carrying wiggo. Especially when nibali gave the two the final stare down before his second attack knowing that froome would reel him in but wiggins was suffering. Not to take away from wiggins as he is in great form but I wish it was a role reversal between the two.
thechemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 06:38 PM   #3
Hezz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,649
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
Must have the Sky brass stressing a bit. The Froomster definetly made a statement today. And Wiggins looked so vulnerable without him during said statement. The Froomster, on the other hand, looked almost invincible, so much so that he had to be reigned back in via team orders. Embarassing ... if you are Wiggins.

Surely Wiggo must love the terms of his signed contract .... LOL.
No, Wiggins and the team knows that Froome is a better climber than Bradly is. But Wiggo is a better at ITT. So this is a gamble. Froome does seem to have a edge with endurance and recovery to Wiggo. Imagine if Froome improved just 1 percent. He would perhaps be as dangerous in a GC as Contador. If Froome had not punctured in an earlier stage he would probably only be down about 30 seconds.

The issue with Froome and perhaps his frustration is that if allowed to go on his own during the last 10k of the big climbing stages he would possibly put enough time on Wiggins to beat him. But it's nice for Sky to have two individuals out in front because it's easier for two people to shoulder the pressure of the yellow jersey during the race. The kind of racer Wiggins is. He will likely have to wear the yellow jersey for the rest of the race because he is not explosive enough in the big climbs to take major time on anyone. So he can't afford to loose it to anyone but Froome and that be only a couple of seconds.
Hezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 07:40 PM   #4
MinnMan
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Bikes: 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
Posts: 2,229
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Froome looks great - he gets the respect of the whole world for being the best GC rider out there and he still gets props for being a team player. He's a stronger climber than Wiggins and he may be almost as good at time trialing. After all, he came in second on Monday. If it weren't for the time he lost in stage 1 and his self-restraint, he'd be winning now.

But his time will come. Some other year.
MinnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 07:44 PM   #5
seanthebear
Senior Member
 
seanthebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Taiwan
Bikes: Fuji Roubaix, Bianchi mongrel
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's pretty exciting to have two guys, Sagan and Froome, in their first tours, showing such explosive talent. I'd love to see Froome and Contador go head to head next year, presuming Contador can get his form back.

Ooh, just realized, we got Froome vs Contador in the Vuelta no?
seanthebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 09:16 PM   #6
cthenn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Bikes: 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, 2016 Devinci Hatchet, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.
Posts: 1,485
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
I can't believe Froome is willing to give up his opportunity to win the Tour de France. Clearly...it's crystal clear...that Froome is by far and away the best GC rider in this race. Next year, you are gonna have AC back, Andy Schleck (though his TT'ing is a joke) who will be riding with Frank, and a host of other guys who can win the race. To just say "some other year"...it's not that simple. He could win the race, you do it. Screw orders. You don't think he could find a team if he wins the tour?

All of a sudden, I'm back into this race, after being lulled to sleep for so many days! Wiggins had better pray he doesn't have a bad day. One bad moment, Froome is gonna pounce. I bet it happens.
cthenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 09:19 PM   #7
otter1833
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Raleigh NC
Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo, Gary Fisher Marlin
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think Froome and van Garderen should be unleashed! Loyal as they are, their Captains are holding them back from some truly amazing results! BTW, glad to have seen Wiggo pat Nibali on the back while crossing the line....no more bad blood.
otter1833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 09:20 PM   #8
MinnMan
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Bikes: 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
Posts: 2,229
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthenn View Post
I can't believe Froome is willing to give up his opportunity to win the Tour de France. Clearly...it's crystal clear...that Froome is by far and away the best GC rider in this race. Next year, you are gonna have AC back, Andy Schleck (though his TT'ing is a joke) who will be riding with Frank, and a host of other guys who can win the race. To just say "some other year"...it's not that simple. He could win the race, you do it. Screw orders. You don't think he could find a team if he wins the tour?

All of a sudden, I'm back into this race, after being lulled to sleep for so many days! Wiggins had better pray he doesn't have a bad day. One bad moment, Froome is gonna pounce. I bet it happens.
Dream on. Froome has made it 100% clear that he is not going to pounce on Wiggins. Unless Wiggins gets eliminated by a crash or something similar, Froome is just the best domestique in France.
MinnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 09:26 PM   #9
cthenn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Bikes: 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, 2016 Devinci Hatchet, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.
Posts: 1,485
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
Dream on. Froome has made it 100% clear that he is not going to pounce on Wiggins. Unless Wiggins gets eliminated by a crash or something similar, Froome is just the best domestique in France.
If Wiggins has any kind of bad day, and Nibali et al gap Wiggins, Froome will go. I have no doubt. It's entirely up to Wiggins. If Wiggins can hang with the elite riders, you are right. But if Wiggins has a bad day like Evans, and is behind the race, Froome is not gonna ride like Teejay. He's not letting the 2011 Vuelta happen again, regardless of how much Sean Yates yells at him. He'll bolt away from Wiggins, and right past everyone else. I hope it happens. Sky is so boringly robotic. Their racing, their interviews, everything...stiff Brits! Unleash Froome and he'll put 6 minutes on the field by the end.
cthenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 09:39 PM   #10
MinnMan
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Bikes: 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
Posts: 2,229
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
I don't think so. Wiggins has about 2 1/2 minutes on Nibali and is better at time trials. If Nibali drops Wiggins, Froome is going to stay with his team leader, pull him up the mountain if he has to, and thereby limit the damage.
MinnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 02:59 AM   #11
Jamesw2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston TX area
Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Aggressor, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There was a report about the wives and girlfriends of the SKY riders on Twitter. wiggins wife did not include Froom in the congratulations on the twitter messages . And Froom wife noticed

found it
http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/201...rs-on-twitter/

Now we have drama

Last edited by Jamesw2; 07-13-12 at 03:12 AM.
Jamesw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 04:51 AM   #12
gear
Senior Member
 
gear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North shore of Mass.
Bikes:
Posts: 2,131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had a hard time explaining to a friend (who doesn't follow pro cycling) how the team mate of the guy winning the race is the strongest rider in the race. Froome will have have fun picking his new contract and team for next year, cha-ching!
gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 05:20 AM   #13
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gear View Post
I had a hard time explaining to a friend (who doesn't follow pro cycling) how the team mate of the guy winning the race is the strongest rider in the race. Froome will have have fun picking his new contract and team for next year, cha-ching!
Froome signed a new three-year contract with Sky after the Vuelta. That doesn't make it impossible for him to move, but Sky pay better than pretty much anyone else at the moment, which is why they have such a super-strong bunch of domestiques.

It's actually quite usual for the up-and coming star to support a rider weaker than himself. Think Riis and Ulrich, for example. Froome's time will come.
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 05:26 AM   #14
jmccain
Senior Member
 
jmccain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It was one day.
jmccain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 11:22 AM   #15
Keith99
Senior Member
 
Keith99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccain View Post
It was one day.
Not for Froome. He has had a few great days.

But in a way the position he is in is his own fault. He is 2 minutes back because he got caught in a crash early, not becaseu he set the tempo in the mountians and blew up.

That he made that early mistake counts against him twice. The actual time and the team confidence.

Personally I think the team should give him a bit more freedom late in stages. Depending a lot on how Wiggins is feeling and what other riders are there. (including teh non-contenders for the teams of contenders).

Of course it is far easier to be more agressive when you are just a fan.
Keith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 11:27 AM   #16
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith99 View Post
He is 2 minutes back because he got caught in a crash early.
No, he punctured too late to be able to get back on. The crash in the subsequent stage wasn't a problem, it was within the last 3km.
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 11:33 AM   #17
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: teh Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 19,948
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith99 View Post
Not for Froome. He has had a few great days.

But in a way the position he is in is his own fault. He is 2 minutes back because he got caught in a crash early, not becaseu he set the tempo in the mountians and blew up.

That he made that early mistake counts against him twice. The actual time and the team confidence.

Personally I think the team should give him a bit more freedom late in stages. Depending a lot on how Wiggins is feeling and what other riders are there. (including teh non-contenders for the teams of contenders).

Of course it is far easier to be more agressive when you are just a fan.

Sky has a lot invested in winning the tour. Froome winning stages does not factor into that. In fact, it can be argued it could very well hurt that goal.
gsteinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 01:27 PM   #18
YMCA
starting pistol means war
 
YMCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Bikes: Cervelo R3
Posts: 3,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanthebear View Post
It's pretty exciting to have two guys, Sagan and Froome, in their first tours,
This is actually Froome's second run at the Tour.
Rode for Barloworld in 2008.

Definitely his French coming-out-party though.
YMCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 01:35 PM   #19
reef58
Senior Member
 
reef58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wilmington, NC
Bikes: Serotta Nove
Posts: 1,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The bottom line is Wiggins has 2:23 on Nibali, and Froome has :18 on Nibali. Most agree barring some major incident the race for GC is all but done. What purpose would there be in messing with that now?
reef58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 01:47 PM   #20
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider
 
gpsblake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South Carolina
Bikes:
Posts: 1,895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
If Froome isn't called back, Froome becomes Nibali's domestique instead of Wiggins.
gpsblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 02:07 PM   #21
colombo357
Senior Member
 
colombo357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The queen stage is Stage 16, just a few days away. Froome could easily make up 2 minutes if he were unleashed and held his form.

This year is his big chance. AC will be back next year dominating the race until 2018.
colombo357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 02:20 PM   #22
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reef58 View Post
The bottom line is Wiggins has 2:23 on Nibali, and Froome has :18 on Nibali. Most agree barring some major incident the race for GC is all but done. What purpose would there be in messing with that now?
Glory, plus the fact that no one knows what the future holds. A lot of things could happen to Froome that would keep him from returning to the Tour int he shape he is now. Remember LeMond's hunting accident?

If I was in Froome's place, I would be looking out for myself. Contador did it to Armstrong a couple of years back.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 03:05 PM   #23
reef58
Senior Member
 
reef58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wilmington, NC
Bikes: Serotta Nove
Posts: 1,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Glory for who Team Sky? They are already 1 & 2. If you mean individual glory by going rouge I doubt he does that.
I think Armstrong did it to Contador not the other away around, as AC was the team leader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
Glory, plus the fact that no one knows what the future holds. A lot of things could happen to Froome that would keep him from returning to the Tour int he shape he is now. Remember LeMond's hunting accident?

If I was in Froome's place, I would be looking out for myself. Contador did it to Armstrong a couple of years back.

Last edited by reef58; 07-13-12 at 03:12 PM.
reef58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 03:09 PM   #24
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
Contador did it to Armstrong a couple of years back.
In everyone's mind but Armstrong's, Contador was the team leader.

Froome will do what he's paid to do. Especially since he will know better than anyone that he may not be able to beat Wiggins even if he tried. Riding solo, with Sky against him rather than with him? Good luck with that.
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 04:02 PM   #25
Andy_K 
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Bikes: 2013 Kona Jake, 2015 Kona Jake the Snake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 2006 Kona Kula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2001 LeMond Buenos Aires, 1984 Pinarello Gran Turismo, 1982 Trek 614, 1978 Austro-Daimler, 1987 Pinarello Montello
Posts: 9,165
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsblake View Post
If Froome isn't called back, Froome becomes Nibali's domestique instead of Wiggins.
So I can understand why Froome would sit up and wait when he got the call on the radio, but why in the world would Nibali wait with him? Either Wiggins was coming back pretty quickly anyway or Nibali was suddenly impersonating Evans.
__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:36 PM.