Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Wow is anyone going to attack???? Come on - no more follow the leader....PLEASE...

    Down to really 2 mountain stages. Nibali would have to take 4 minutes out of wiggins just to tie.

    Aint happening.

    TeeJay is too busy trying to prop up over the hill wiggins who did none of the work in last years TDF.

    Froome is too busy being Bradleys b!tch.

    Wheres Contador and Schleck when you need them,,,,

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,741
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littletunny View Post
    Down to really 2 mountain stages. Nibali would have to take 4 minutes out of wiggins just to tie.

    Aint happening.

    TeeJay is too busy trying to prop up over the hill wiggins who did none of the work in last years TDF.

    Froome is too busy being Bradleys b!tch.

    Wheres Contador and Schleck when you need them,,,,
    You meant to say Evans instead of wiggins re Tejay.

    Yes, this Tour does miss Contador and Andy Schleck. No doubt about it.

    And Froome went for the money when he signed his present contract with Sky. He should have signed with a team where he could contend for the GC win. He might never win the TdF in the future, and if this is so, he'll always look back to this Tour with regret.
    Last edited by Jed19; 07-16-12 at 12:50 AM.
    Regards,

    Jed

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,085
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jed19 View Post
    You meant to say Evans instead of wiggins re Tejay.
    Must be, as Wiggins was out early last year with a broken collar bone.

    Good for Sky to have Froome as an option up front if anything happens to Wiggens, as we still have distance to go, but it's getting a bit tame with no-one attacking, with Evans efforts yesterday not amounting to anything.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's attacking going on, it just isn't working worth a damn.

    - Mark

  5. #5
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    6,402
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
    There's attacking going on, it just isn't working worth a damn.

    - Mark
    This. Everyone seems to think all these guys have to do to beat Wiggins is ride away from him. What they may be missing is, Wiggins appears to be stronger than any of them. As a certain Mr Armstrong once said "motivation won't take you very far if you don't have the legs".

    Seriously, in all the fuss about how well Froome is doing, people are overlooking just what great shape Wiggins seems to be in. In the saddle, high cadence, reels everything back in without fuss, and with speed and energy to spare to give a very fast lead-out to EBH in a sprint finish. In every single mountain stage Evans, Nibali or van den Broeck have attacked - sometimes more than one of them. But they've barely put a dent in him.

  6. #6
    starting pistol means war YMCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    east coast
    My Bikes
    Cervelo R3
    Posts
    3,014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post

    Seriously, in all the fuss about how well Froome is doing, people are overlooking just what great shape Wiggins seems to be in. In the saddle, high cadence, reels everything back in without fuss, and with speed and energy to spare to give a very fast lead-out to EBH in a sprint finish. In every single mountain stage Evans, Nibali or van den Broeck have attacked - sometimes more than one of them. But they've barely put a dent in him.
    correct

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Physically, CT / Mentally, San Francisco
    My Bikes
    BMC Team Machine, BMC Road Racer, BMC Streetfire, BMC AlpenChallenge
    Posts
    207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    Seriously, in all the fuss about how well Froome is doing, people are overlooking just what great shape Wiggins seems to be in. In the saddle, high cadence, reels everything back in without fuss, and with speed and energy to spare to give a very fast lead-out to EBH in a sprint finish. In every single mountain stage Evans, Nibali or van den Broeck have attacked - sometimes more than one of them. But they've barely put a dent in him.
    With the lack of mt. top finishes, there haven't been the sustained attacks like in year's past. The course this year doesn't seem as focused on the mts, and when they are in the mts, the finishes 25km down the other side effectively neutralize the attacks. I'm not a fan of this year's course. There's too much emphasis on the individual TT and the flat, sprinter's stages, and they've just sapped the ability of anyone to take back time on the mt stages.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any of the favorites that need time will need to perform a vino or a hinault to win. Add that to be lucky enough for sky to let them go. Is not going to happen, nobody has the legs.

    Nibali will defend his 3rd place but he will lose it in the TT to evans, Evans as long is close to nibali he will podium for sure. Nibali and evans are racing for 3rd place unless a disaster happens that mess up froom in the TT and he lose like 4 minutes (accident??) In the case of wiggo, same situation and those two will race conservatively, they can't risk the podium and have a lot of time to play with aswell. Sincerely? they won this thing already.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Physically, CT / Mentally, San Francisco
    My Bikes
    BMC Team Machine, BMC Road Racer, BMC Streetfire, BMC AlpenChallenge
    Posts
    207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They won this thing a week ago with the individual TT. It was over from that point on.

    edited to add....with the exception of Tommy V., and he's too far down in time, no one else in the entire peloton has the nerve or courage of a Hinault to go for the win. This is just 2000+ miles of guys pedaling across France together.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant to say Teejay dragging Evans up the moutain.

    Its "looks" like Wiggins is deserving but I would like to see him earn it, not just pulled along. In fact I would like to see him destroy someone on the mountains. Somebody do something.

    The year Contador won it, he was right there at the front in the mountain stages with not a lot of help.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Giacomo 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Queens NYC
    Posts
    1,651
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez, stage 15 and again the breakaway is running away from the Sky controlled peloton.

    All the top sprinters left behind because none of the teams will support them. Why would these teams let Sky control the pace like this?
    Colnago Super
    Basso Gap
    Fabio Barecci
    Miyata 1400A

    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride."
    ~
    John F. Kennedy, Former U.S. President

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because they can't do crap, everybody is tired, two more days of climbs ahead and the TT. Nobody will burn, the sprinters teams screw up anyways w/o putting anybody in those brakes. A lot of guys abandoning today so that can tell you how hard this race is, and today is a flat day were the guys arent even going that fast comparatively speaking.

    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomo 1 View Post
    Geez, stage 15 and again the breakaway is running away from the Sky controlled peloton.

    All the top sprinters left behind because none of the teams will support them. Why would these teams let Sky control the pace like this?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    912
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point. These guys are just lazy. Everyone with a 7w/kg FTP should just ride off the front on the next mountain stage and drop Team Sky.

  14. #14
    Ex Coelis CALE262's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Beaumont, AB. Canada
    My Bikes
    have wheels...
    Posts
    307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFred View Post
    With the lack of mt. top finishes, there haven't been the sustained attacks like in year's past. The course this year doesn't seem as focused on the mts, and when they are in the mts, the finishes 25km down the other side effectively neutralize the attacks. I'm not a fan of this year's course. There's too much emphasis on the individual TT and the flat, sprinter's stages, and they've just sapped the ability of anyone to take back time on the mt stages.

    This.

    2012 Really is the most boring TdF in recent memory thanks to the course layout IMHO. More tacks required.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice...
    Colnago C59/SR-EPS, Ridley Helium/SR11, Marinoni Leggero/Duracci, Orbea Opal/Duracci

  15. #15
    Senior Member Keith99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,661
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But Evans did attack.

    And because of it he went from a solid second to 4th.

    Most effective way to defend Yellow is to punish failed attacks.
    Perish any man who suspects that these men either did or suffered anything unseemly.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess they can't do much more- and it's a combination of a route that doesn't give many opportunities in the mountains and the race lacking both elite climbers and decent domestiques to back them up.
    Contador and Andy Schleck are probably the only ones that could make the difference on their own, despite the Sky train chasing them (esp if they were working together like in 2010). But even without them, it could've been more exciting with few good climbers ganging up on Sky- and ideally having some support from their teams. However it seems that there are only two guys whose climbing is consistently good- Nibali and Van den Broeck. But even if they went early and worked together, they'd probably have to work against four- Porte, Rogers, Wiggins and Froome. And as much as I'd love to see them putting everything on the line, why should Nibali risk his podium spot? It's a big achievement considering he's basically on his own and many didn't believe he can get there.
    It would be very different if he got the support he deserves. If for example Szmyd and Basso were in good shape, of course they are much better climbers than any of Sky domestiques (obviously, except for Froome). Or if Vanendert was as good as last year. Also, it would help if Samuel Sanchez didn't crash (and was fit), if Scarponi and Valverde were closer to their top shape, if Frank was more consistent and so on. Again, if Rogers and Porte are among, I don't know, 7-8 best climbers in the race, you know that either something is very wrong with Team Sky or that the field is really weak.
    Because this time it's not really that guys aren't gutsy enough to attack, just nothing comes out of it when they try. The battle with Sky could've been great but they don't have enough tactical options.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone mentioned Wiggins being in the saddle - and it just dawned on me... I haven't seen him stand once. I'm sure he has at some point - but he's literally shutting down all these attacks while staying in the saddle. He looks rather bored through most of the stages - just pedaling away...

  18. #18
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,741
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MH817 View Post
    Someone mentioned Wiggins being in the saddle - and it just dawned on me... I haven't seen him stand once. I'm sure he has at some point - but he's literally shutting down all these attacks while staying in the saddle. He looks rather bored through most of the stages - just pedaling away...
    Wiggins must be in some real good shape/form. It does not even look like he's working hard on this mountain climbs. He is either real good, or, some funny stuff is going on.

    We'll see.
    Regards,

    Jed

  19. #19
    Senior Member eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,388
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    This. Everyone seems to think all these guys have to do to beat Wiggins is ride away from him. What they may be missing is, Wiggins appears to be stronger than any of them. As a certain Mr Armstrong once said "motivation won't take you very far if you don't have the legs".

    Seriously, in all the fuss about how well Froome is doing, people are overlooking just what great shape Wiggins seems to be in. In the saddle, high cadence, reels everything back in without fuss, and with speed and energy to spare to give a very fast lead-out to EBH in a sprint finish. In every single mountain stage Evans, Nibali or van den Broeck have attacked - sometimes more than one of them. But they've barely put a dent in him.
    As much as I dislike Wiggo, I have to agree that your analysys of the current situation is spot on. This is turning out to be a very boring Tour. Well, there are always the Olympic games.
    My current stable:

    1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

  20. #20
    Lance Hater Laggard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    4,314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guy won Paris Nice, Tour de Romandie and Criterium du Dauphine this year. He's having a phenomenal year and there is no one who can touch him at the moment. Would be interesting to see this Wiggins go up against an in-form Contador.
    i may have overreacted

  21. #21
    Senior Member Keith99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,661
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
    The guy won Paris Nice, Tour de Romandie and Criterium du Dauphine this year. He's having a phenomenal year and there is no one who can touch him at the moment. Would be interesting to see this Wiggins go up against an in-form Contador.
    Against this Wiggans with this team I'd ahve to make him a heavy favorite compared to Contador and the best support he has had in the past.
    Perish any man who suspects that these men either did or suffered anything unseemly.

  22. #22
    lead on macduff!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    south park-san diego, ca
    My Bikes
    2002 Coppi KSC Plane-1986 Masi 3Volumetrica-1985 Pinarello Treviso
    Posts
    1,741
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hopefully all the big boys can stay out of trouble-injury and otherwise-for next year's tdf so we can have a more exciting show (with contador & a schleck back into the fold). much has been said in the past about the riders making the race vs the course making the race. having a more 'humane' course this year with sky's dominance/the seeming lack of successful protagonists would seem to indicate otherwise. can you imagine how bored we all would really be had there been a ttt this year? both froome & wiggo would be up likely an extra 45+ seconds.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    central jersey coast
    My Bikes
    2008 Cervelo RS, 2004Trek 2100,1985 Nishike Prestige
    Posts
    745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFred View Post
    With the lack of mt. top finishes, there haven't been the sustained attacks like in year's past. The course this year doesn't seem as focused on the mts, and when they are in the mts, the finishes 25km down the other side effectively neutralize the attacks. I'm not a fan of this year's course. There's too much emphasis on the individual TT and the flat, sprinter's stages, and they've just sapped the ability of anyone to take back time on the mt stages.
    I agree, this course has made for some boring mountain stages.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    738
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MH817 View Post
    Someone mentioned Wiggins being in the saddle - and it just dawned on me... I haven't seen him stand once. I'm sure he has at some point - but he's literally shutting down all these attacks while staying in the saddle. He looks rather bored through most of the stages - just pedaling away...
    He's stood up a number of times, but not nearly as much as any of his competition. When he does stand, he still has the same smooth efficient pedaling style as when he is seated. Doesn't rock the bike back and forth like Cadel who looks like he is grinding no matter how hard or easy the climb. In fact, his upper body is just as motionless as when he is seated.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •