Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pasadena, CA(for now)
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Is Cadel Too Far Back To Win?

    Barring any unforseen crashes in the next few days, is Cadel too far back to repeat? He had a strong team, which made me think he'd repeat, now I just dont see it. But, alot can happen in the next few days.

    Any thoughts, does Wiggins have it sewn up pretty much?

  2. #2
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    6,271
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LemondFanForeve View Post
    Barring any unforseen crashes in the next few days, is Cadel too far back to repeat? He had a strong team, which made me think he'd repeat, now I just dont see it. But, alot can happen in the next few days.

    Any thoughts, does Wiggins have it sewn up pretty much?
    You're kidding, aren't you? Evans is ten minutes behind Wiggins, eight behind Froome, almost seven behind Nibali, with one flat stage and a TT to come, and you're still thinking about him winning?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    land of the Mile
    Posts
    345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bwahaha.jpgOnly way he can win now is if Wiggins, Froome and everyone else ahead of him is POISONED like Frank Schleck.

  4. #4
    Senior Member eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,046
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cadel who?
    My current stable:

    1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

  5. #5
    powered by Racer Ex gsteinb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    teh Jersey
    Posts
    15,607
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unpossible

  6. #6
    Annoyed. Andy Somnifac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    935
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meh.

  7. #7
    Senior Member DLBroox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Miami, FL
    My Bikes
    Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Curve D3
    Posts
    511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No wait, I think it could happen. On Sunday, as Wiggo is having his champagne toast, Greg Lemond pops out of the crowd and shoves a newspaper into Wiggo's spokes. Chris Anker Sorenson is nearby and because he has experience at this, reaches down to pull the paper out. Tyler Farrar, who is not paying attention crashes into them and takes the whole peloton down. Cuddles, who had been trying to bridge the gap to a break is then pulled all the way to Paris on the wheel of, none other than, Floyd Landis.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    734
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DLBroox View Post
    No wait, I think it could happen. On Sunday, as Wiggo is having his champagne toast, Greg Lemond pops out of the crowd and shoves a newspaper into Wiggo's spokes. Chris Anker Sorenson is nearby and because he has experience at this, reaches down to pull the paper out. Tyler Farrar, who is not paying attention crashes into them and takes the whole peloton down. Cuddles, who had been trying to bridge the gap to a break is then pulled all the way to Paris on the wheel of, none other than, Floyd Landis.
    Take a look at the various bookmakers odds. On paddypower.com if you place a bet on Wiggins for $100 and you win, your return is $100.50. If you bet on Cadel & you & he somehow win, your gain is $50,100. So, about the same as Germany invading France before the tour ends.

    As Alex says in Everything is Illuminated "My grandfather informs me that is not possible."
    Last edited by daveF; 07-20-12 at 11:02 AM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,055
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure he can do it. At the TT stage he'll make up so much time, he'll end up winning the tour by 8 seconds.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Haunchyville
    Posts
    5,635
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffpoulin View Post
    Sure he can do it. At the TT stage he'll make up so much time, he'll end up winning the tour by 8 seconds.
    Sideburns = ponytail.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not even in my wildest dreams I pictures cadel taking 12 mins out of wiggo in the ITT specially when in the same distance in a hilly terrain that was best suited for cadel, wiggo took almost 2 mins outta cadel

    The answer to the OP's question is ... Yes, he is too far back

    IMO the only way for him to win is that the 4 1st positions in the GC had 4 or 5 puctures during the ITT

  12. #12
    Senior Member cthenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Walnut Creek
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone/DA9000, 2002 Litespeed Classic
    Posts
    732
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are your other 1070 posts this dumb? Or are you trolling?

  13. #13
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 1999 Kona Muni Mula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    6,639
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
    IMO the only way for him to win is that the 4 1st positions in the GC had 4 or 5 puctures during the ITT
    Does Cadel still have those tacks he collected in his tires?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Several
    Posts
    441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by canam73 View Post
    Sideburns = ponytail.
    LOL ...

    And Cadel could lodge a protest against Wiggo's illegal (?) TT bars.

    Last edited by Talldog; 07-20-12 at 01:39 PM.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope he does, but after seeing the sky guys probably even riding the regular bikes cadel would not bring even 10 secs out of them tomorrow.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
    Does Cadel still have those tacks he collected in his tires?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Haunchyville
    Posts
    5,635
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess if the GC is pretty much decided the only thing left is to see if Cav can make up 226 points to win the green again.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Keith99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,605
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone here think of any winner who came back from 10 minutes or more since WW II?

    I found one and suspect one or 2 more. But these are all in the time when final margins were usually in the half hour range.

    For those who know cycling it was the final win of the rider whose first and last wins were seperated by the largest margin.
    Perish any man who suspects that these men either did or suffered anything unseemly.

  18. #18
    Senior Member cthenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Walnut Creek
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone/DA9000, 2002 Litespeed Classic
    Posts
    732
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by canam73 View Post
    I guess if the GC is pretty much decided the only thing left is to see if Cav can make up 226 points to win the green again.
    So what I heard is that if he gets into a breakaway, and rides the Champs the required 8 laps, finishes the race, then goes back to the start and rejoins the peloton, and wins again, then he can get double points. Don't know if that's gonna be enough though...

  19. #19
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    6,271
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith99 View Post
    Can anyone here think of any winner who came back from 10 minutes or more since WW II?

    I found one and suspect one or 2 more. But these are all in the time when final margins were usually in the half hour range.

    For those who know cycling it was the final win of the rider whose first and last wins were seperated by the largest margin.
    According to Wikipedia, Fausto Coppi came from 55 minutes back in 1949, making up the time in the mountain stages. I don't have any corroboration, though, and I'm trying to imagine how Coppi could lose 55 minutes in the first place...

  20. #20
    Senior Member Keith99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,605
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    According to Wikipedia, Fausto Coppi came from 55 minutes back in 1949, making up the time in the mountain stages. I don't have any corroboration, though, and I'm trying to imagine how Coppi could lose 55 minutes in the first place...
    Looks like you found a different Wiki than I did. Wha ti found did not give give the time, but gave why. Infighting within the Italian team. Remember that was the National Team era for the TDF and Italy had 2 of the top Cyclists in History. Egos were a huge problem.
    Perish any man who suspects that these men either did or suffered anything unseemly.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Keith99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,605
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    According to Wikipedia, Fausto Coppi came from 55 minutes back in 1949, making up the time in the mountain stages. I don't have any corroboration, though, and I'm trying to imagine how Coppi could lose 55 minutes in the first place...
    I think Wiki is wrong again!

    http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/

    Has stage details including the GC for the top 10 at the end of each stage. A bit of a problem as Coppi was outside the top 10 a lot before stage 7.

    But taking his GC place at the end of 7 which was 28:03 back and adding in his margin in stage 7 over the GC leader 7:32 and also an additional minute which seems to be the bonus for winning a stage and it comes out to 36:35. Similar calculations for Stage 10 gives 31:51.

    Neither is 55 minutes.
    Perish any man who suspects that these men either did or suffered anything unseemly.

  22. #22
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    6,271
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith99 View Post
    I think Wiki is wrong again!

    http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/

    Has stage details including the GC for the top 10 at the end of each stage. A bit of a problem as Coppi was outside the top 10 a lot before stage 7.

    But taking his GC place at the end of 7 which was 28:03 back and adding in his margin in stage 7 over the GC leader 7:32 and also an additional minute which seems to be the bonus for winning a stage and it comes out to 36:35. Similar calculations for Stage 10 gives 31:51.

    Neither is 55 minutes.
    No, but both are more than half an hour, which is a lot more than ten minutes! LOL. Apparently Coppi was already well behind when he crashed and broke his bike. Damn, I wish I'd seen him.

    Incidentally, I don't know whether you caught up with my reply about Romaine and Sylvere Maes, but it looks as if wiki was right about them not being related.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Riverside County, CA
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LemondFanForeve View Post
    Barring any unforseen crashes in the next few days, is Cadel too far back to repeat? He had a strong team, which made me think he'd repeat, now I just dont see it. But, alot can happen in the next few days.

    Any thoughts, does Wiggins have it sewn up pretty much?
    unless all ahead of him crash, i don't see him coming in first.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Riverside County, CA
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith99 View Post
    Can anyone here think of any winner who came back from 10 minutes or more since WW II?

    I found one and suspect one or 2 more. But these are all in the time when final margins were usually in the half hour range.

    For those who know cycling it was the final win of the rider whose first and last wins were seperated by the largest margin.
    so who was it?

  25. #25
    Senior Member Keith99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,605
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    No, but both are more than half an hour, which is a lot more than ten minutes! LOL. Apparently Coppi was already well behind when he crashed and broke his bike. Damn, I wish I'd seen him.

    Incidentally, I don't know whether you caught up with my reply about Romaine and Sylvere Maes, but it looks as if wiki was right about them not being related.
    Nope missed that one. I found a couple more sites that said they were brothers. The only one I found that seemd to imply otherwise was memorie du cyclisime which called one the others 'namesake' but that was a google translation and I wonder if one could easily read too much into the choice of translation.

    What evidence did yuo dfind that they were not brothers?
    Perish any man who suspects that these men either did or suffered anything unseemly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •