Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-12, 05:12 PM   #1
sci_femme
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Southeast
Bikes: cyclotank
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
"Rise, Sir Bradley"?

To all the Brits out there - is it possible this year, seeing that the guy already is CBE?

Curious minds need to know.....

SF
sci_femme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-12, 07:27 PM   #2
nun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
Posts: 3,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sci_femme View Post
To all the Brits out there - is it possible this year, seeing that the guy already is CBE?

Curious minds need to know.....

SF
Yep it's entirely possible. If Chris Hoy has a knighthood Wiggins should have one too. I'd actually like Victoria Pendleton to be given a Dame.
nun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-12, 07:38 PM   #3
cincipeddler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Given the turbulent history of recent tour winners tarnished reputations I would suggest that the honour is held off for a few years, at least til his career is over anyway!
cincipeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-12, 09:45 PM   #4
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unfortunately it is entirely possible, yes. It's about time we abandoned this nonsense.
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-12, 05:35 AM   #5
nun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
Posts: 3,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
Unfortunately it is entirely possible, yes. It's about time we abandoned this nonsense.
I tend to agree with you; honors are anachronistic. But if Bradley becomes a Knight, Victoria should become a Dame.
nun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-12, 05:57 AM   #6
steve2k
Senior Mumbler
 
steve2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: England
Bikes: Ridgeback Voyage (for touring and commuting), unknown beach cruiser (for smiling)
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't get the furore, you should see the British papers this morning.

Ok, I appreciate he did a great thing, but it's not like he was doing a paper round last week and now he's won the tour de france. He's Olympic champion and he's had the sky team with all that entails getting him to this point. I'd have been more surprised if Sky hadn't won the tour this year.

I like Bradley, I think he's great in interviews, has a real passion for cycling and the tour and is clearly a very talented rider, but the British press are saying he's the best British sports person ever.

Some athletes train with a small team, no money and in run down gyms and still go on to be world champions. I think this needs some perspective.
steve2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-12, 07:03 AM   #7
mustang1
Senior Member
 
mustang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: London, UK
Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail
Posts: 2,714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I heard someone remark on itv4 about the football of 1966. oh boy, who the heck cares about winning something 46 years ago. forget the past, celebrate the current.
mustang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-12, 10:29 PM   #8
wabbit
Sprockette
 
wabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 5,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
has BW ever met the queen before this? if not, he will now!
__________________
You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. That's great...if you want to attract vermin.
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-12, 06:23 AM   #9
Flaneur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2k View Post
I don't get the furore, you should see the British papers this morning.

Ok, I appreciate he did a great thing, but it's not like he was doing a paper round last week and now he's won the tour de france. He's Olympic champion and he's had the sky team with all that entails getting him to this point. I'd have been more surprised if Sky hadn't won the tour this year.

I like Bradley, I think he's great in interviews, has a real passion for cycling and the tour and is clearly a very talented rider, but the British press are saying he's the best British sports person ever.

Some athletes train with a small team, no money and in run down gyms and still go on to be world champions. I think this needs some perspective.
I think this is the greatest ever single sporting achievement by a British person. I wonder if the tabloids would agree with me, were the Sky team not part of the Murdoch image rehabilitation process?
The News International connection may hurt Wiggins chances of short term recognition. In the long term, he will be offered a great many tributes- but which ones will he accept?
Flaneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-12, 11:06 AM   #10
rex615
canis lupus familiaris
 
rex615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Carolina
Bikes: En plus one
Posts: 2,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
From Reuters http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...86N12K20120724

Not quite knighthood, but its a start.
rex615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-12, 01:19 PM   #11
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post
I think this is the greatest ever single sporting achievement by a British person. I wonder if the tabloids would agree with me, were the Sky team not part of the Murdoch image rehabilitation process?
The News International connection may hurt Wiggins chances of short term recognition. In the long term, he will be offered a great many tributes- but which ones will he accept?
Hmm. Greatest ever sporting achievement by a Brit? I'm a cycling fan, so that's tempting, but comparisons between different sports are difficult. Roger Bannister? He wasn't the first Brit, he was THE FIRST.
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-12, 03:22 PM   #12
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post
I think this is the greatest ever single sporting achievement by a British person. I wonder if the tabloids would agree with me, were the Sky team not part of the Murdoch image rehabilitation process?
The News International connection may hurt Wiggins chances of short term recognition. In the long term, he will be offered a great many tributes- but which ones will he accept?
Perhaps not England's greatest sporting achievement. In light of the fact, however, that it took an Englishman ALL of these years to finally win a Tour, let the chap get his knighthood.

He may be the last Englishman to win the Tour for a long while, so enjoy the moment.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 10:49 AM   #13
nun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
Posts: 3,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
So any votes for Dame Victoria Pendleton?
nun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-12, 10:35 AM   #14
NWS Alpine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 1,104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What if they Knight him and he gets caught doping... makes them look bad (just getting you Brits going)
NWS Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:01 PM.