Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 87
  1. #1
    Senior Member Mithrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    My Bikes
    2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail
    Posts
    2,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Liggett burns BMX and Mountain biking Olympic categories

    http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...lympics_232044


    I see his point, that they were added to the Olympics while decimating Track Cycling to make room for them, but I think he's aiming at the wrong target. Looking over the various sports that are included I see several that in my opinion are just ridiculous and should not be a part of the olympics:


    * Racewalking - I mean seriously? How did this ever become a thing? Who cares?
    * Ping Pong - Good god.
    * Equestrian events - there are six of them. I thought the Olympics were about HUMAN achievement, why are animals allowed to take part at all?
    * Triathlon - I've never understood the point of triathlons. Why swim 1 mile, bike 25 miles, and run 6 miles, when you could just bike 32 miles instead? Ok all snark aside, as an olympic sport this seems somewhat redundant, as there already is swimming, cycling, and running events.
    * Basketball - More of a personal preference to be honest. I just can't stand Basketball. It's not about who scores the most points, it's about who fails to score the most points, if that makes any sense. I find it incredibly boring.
    * Sailing - 10 events. Really?! There's already canoeing and rowing.
    * Shooting - 15 events. I give up.

    There's a ton of things that Phil could have attacked in place of BMX and MTB, imo, so I think he's got misdirected anger here.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Haunchyville
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...lympics_232044


    I see his point, that they were added to the Olympics while decimating Track Cycling to make room for them, but I think he's aiming at the wrong target. Looking over the various sports that are included I see several that in my opinion are just ridiculous and should not be a part of the olympics:


    * Racewalking - I mean seriously? How did this ever become a thing? Who cares?
    * Ping Pong - Good god.
    * Equestrian events - there are six of them. I thought the Olympics were about HUMAN achievement, why are animals allowed to take part at all?
    * Triathlon - I've never understood the point of triathlons. Why swim 1 mile, bike 25 miles, and run 6 miles, when you could just bike 32 miles instead? Ok all snark aside, as an olympic sport this seems somewhat redundant, as there already is swimming, cycling, and running events.
    * Basketball - More of a personal preference to be honest. I just can't stand Basketball. It's not about who scores the most points, it's about who fails to score the most points, if that makes any sense. I find it incredibly boring.
    * Sailing - 10 events. Really?! There's already canoeing and rowing.
    * Shooting - 15 events. I give up.

    There's a ton of things that Phil could have attacked in place of BMX and MTB, imo, so I think he's got misdirected anger here.
    Think of how a Ping Pong fan would view the cycling entries: "BMX? Really? Don't they already have road, track and MTB? I thought BMX was for 10 year olds anyway." The fans for those other sports could say the same.

    Except Racewalking. That is some dumb@$$ $h1t.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Giacomo 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Queens NYC
    Posts
    1,801
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I admit that I havn't watched much BMX racing, but what I've seen looks really pretty ridiculous - grown men on tiny little bikes in full race leathers, really?

    This whole X Game stuff is purely nonsense IMHO. This generation has taken activities that my generation did for fun when we were kids and had long outgrown and somehow made a "sport" of it and do it into there adult years. I think these grown BMX'ers, skateboarders etc. need a real job...

    Just one mans opinion....
    Colnago Super
    Basso Gap
    Fabio Barecci
    Miyata 1400A

    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride."
    ~
    John F. Kennedy, Former U.S. President

  4. #4
    Senior Member roadwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Galt Gulch
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Super Six High Mod, Evo, Sram Red, CAAD9 Rival
    Posts
    9,962
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phil's right.

    I am engaged in debate with a number of my biking mtb friends. They are claiming that a 30-40km mtb race is as tough as racing for150 miles. I suggested that the reason why, after leaving mtb racing and coming to road, it took evans and hesjedal a while to get up to speed was due to the difficulyt of learning how to race for six hours at a pop. Not for an hour.

    They cant handle the truth.
    "Nothing is so typical of middling minds than to harp on the intellectual deficiencies of the slightly less smart, but considerably more successful."
    Bret Stephens, WSJ

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Haunchyville
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    Phil's right.

    I am engaged in debate with a number of my biking mtb friends. They are claiming that a 30-40km mtb race is as tough as racing for150 miles. I suggested that the reason why, after leaving mtb racing and coming to road, it took evans and hesjedal a while to get up to speed was due to the difficulyt of learning how to race for six hours at a pop. Not for an hour.

    They cant handle the truth.
    Conversely, you could also point out that Levi Leipheimer won the first major mtb race he was in. (2010 Leadville 100)

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Haunchyville
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm suddenly thinking about Men's Synchronized Swimming. Did these guys ever make it in?


  7. #7
    Senior Member himespau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    7,538
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know equestrian's got history behind it, but I'll agree with the OP that this should be about human achievement, not how well you can ride a horse.
    Punctuation is important. It's the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse" and "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse"


  8. #8
    Goodbye Leeroy Jenkins tagaproject6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    My Bikes
    Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record);Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force);Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)
    Posts
    7,028
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trampoline, anyone!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TOML

    _________________________________________________________________________

    Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record)
    Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force)
    Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival)
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Williamsburg, Tennesse.
    My Bikes
    All have flats.
    Posts
    887
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BMX takes more skill.
    And it's more fun to look at than a bunch of DOPED UP [and not in the fun way] kooks go in circles.
    Grandpa Freds be all angry and confused about all this newfangled stuff.
    Cry harder.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Giacomo 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Queens NYC
    Posts
    1,801
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    BMX takes more skill.
    And it's more fun to look at than a bunch of DOPED UP [and not in the fun way] kooks go in circles.
    Grandpa Freds be all angry and confused about all this newfangled stuff.
    Cry harder.
    Ummm, nothing new about this "newfangled stuff".

    I did all of that nonsense stuff when I was a kid on my stingray... then I grew up.


    Peace, out yo...
    Colnago Super
    Basso Gap
    Fabio Barecci
    Miyata 1400A

    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride."
    ~
    John F. Kennedy, Former U.S. President

  11. #11
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    6,878
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget about conflicts between cycling and other sports. There's little the cycling establishment can do about that. Ligget is right, cycling has shot itself in the foot. In order to accommodate BMX and MTB, as well as the entirely reasonable objective of giving equal time to the women, it has sacrificed some of the most iconic events in the sport. No individual pursuit? Really?

    And this is the UCI's fault. Not the IOC. Effectively the IOC has taken the UCI's advice. Nonsense.
    Last edited by chasm54; 07-27-12 at 03:10 PM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,407
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is old and gettng a tad senile. He is like an old, favorite uncle who now says silly things that make you say DAHELL!. Cut him some slack.
    My current stable:

    1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

  13. #13
    Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder Zephyr11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between heaven and hell
    My Bikes
    '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone
    Posts
    3,479
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by canam73 View Post
    Think of how a Ping Pong fan would view the cycling entries: "BMX? Really? Don't they already have road, track and MTB? I thought BMX was for 10 year olds anyway." The fans for those other sports could say the same.

    Except Racewalking. That is some dumb@$$ $h1t.
    I never took racewalking seriously until I met a competitive racewalker. They're walking at sub-6:15 mile pace for 12.4 miles, and sub-7:00 mile pace for 31 miles.

    That said, I can see why he's upset about track events being cut, but to claim that mountain biking and BMX have no place in the Olympics just proves Liggett's an idiot. The Olympic Games evolve. If they didn't evolve at all, all we'd have today are probably like 10 sports and a handful nations...or naked men participating in track & field, wrestling (woohoo, naked men wrestling!), and chariot races if you want to go back even further.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pasadena, CA(for now)
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomo 1 View Post
    I admit that I havn't watched much BMX racing, but what I've seen looks really pretty ridiculous - grown men on tiny little bikes in full race leathers, really?

    This whole X Game stuff is purely nonsense IMHO. This generation has taken activities that my generation did for fun when we were kids and had long outgrown and somehow made a "sport" of it and do it into there adult years. I think these grown BMX'ers, skateboarders etc. need a real job...

    Just one mans opinion....

    Couldnt agree more. Add to your arguement how tv.seems.to forcefeed the.X Games down everyones throats at every given moment, really turns me off on all things x games. Having any of them as olympic events, really shows a lack of.credibility to some of the games, IMO. If i never see another x games like event, or the.sports associated with , ever again, that wouldnt be soon enough. I wish ESPN would stop devoting so much time to the X Games, but we cant always get what we want. I watch about ZERO minutes of anything X Games, or any of the sports related to it, my friends hate it too.
    Last edited by LemondFanForeve; 07-27-12 at 08:40 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Haunchyville
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr11 View Post
    I never took racewalking seriously until I met a competitive racewalker. They're walking at sub-6:15 mile pace for 12.4 miles, and sub-7:00 mile pace for 31 miles.
    You could take anything, say fish gutting, and the very fastest at it would be impressive. That doesn't make any less stupid as an Olympic sport.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Mithrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    My Bikes
    2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail
    Posts
    2,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr11 View Post
    I never took racewalking seriously until I met a competitive racewalker. They're walking at sub-6:15 mile pace for 12.4 miles, and sub-7:00 mile pace for 31 miles.

    That said, I can see why he's upset about track events being cut, but to claim that mountain biking and BMX have no place in the Olympics just proves Liggett's an idiot. The Olympic Games evolve. If they didn't evolve at all, all we'd have today are probably like 10 sports and a handful nations...or naked men participating in track & field, wrestling (woohoo, naked men wrestling!), and chariot races if you want to go back even further.
    You forget there would be naked women too.



    Think about that.

  17. #17
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, there are some real snobs in this thread.

    i just learned that BMX is for little kids or for adults who havent grown up.

    and i learned that mountain biking is so easy anyone can win.

    got it.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    land of the Mile
    Posts
    345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only 15 shooting events WTF
    Last edited by aboatguy; 07-28-12 at 07:52 PM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Williamsburg, Tennesse.
    My Bikes
    All have flats.
    Posts
    887
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomo 1 View Post
    Ummm, nothing new about this "newfangled stuff".

    I did all of that nonsense stuff when I was a kid on my stingray... then I grew up.


    Peace, out yo...




    Quote Originally Posted by steam master View Post
    wow, there are some real snobs in this thread.

    i just learned that BMX is for little kids or for adults who havent grown up.

    and i learned that mountain biking is so easy anyone can win.

    got it.
    Seriouzzzzzzz Roadiezzzzzzzz are Serious Lamers. Hilarity abounds seeing grown men whine about their gentlemanly [doped up] sport being contaminated by "less serious" cyclesports. Moreso when you read about them doping up Gran Fondo's so they can win crappy Chinarellos and the adulation of their fellow dorkmeisters. I'd like to see them compete in the CMWC, or the Beer Olympics.
    They wouldn't last two seconds in an Alleycat. Probably be so busy checking their Strava stats they'd run over a pedestrian.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pasadena, CA(for now)
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post




    Seriouzzzzzzz Roadiezzzzzzzz are Serious Lamers. Hilarity abounds seeing grown men whine about their gentlemanly [doped up] sport being contaminated by "less serious" cyclesports. Moreso when you read about them doping up Gran Fondo's so they can win crappy Chinarellos and the adulation of their fellow dorkmeisters. I'd like to see them compete in the CMWC, or the Beer Olympics.
    They wouldn't last two seconds in an Alleycat. Probably be so busy checking their Strava stats they'd run over a pedestrian.
    Wow Corky, you have some SERIOUS issues.

  21. #21
    Senior Member colombo357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,986
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should just turn the triathlon into a combination of road, mtb, and bmx, then get rid of the mtb and bmx events.

    PROBLEM SOLVED.
    "I just googled triple crank set and i see what your saying. this bike has 9 of those "cranksets".
    "They are showing [the TDF of Versus] at 5 different times in the day. It doesn't say which one is the live one."

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pasadena, CA(for now)
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    Forget about conflicts between cycling and other sports. There's little the cycling establishment can do about that. Ligget is right, cycling has shot itself in the foot. In order to accommodate BMX and MTB, as well as the entirely reasonable objective of giving equal time to the women, it has sacrificed some of the most iconic events in the sport. No individual pursuit? Really?

    And this is the UCI's fault. Not the IOC. Effectively the IOC has taken the UCI's advice. Nonsense.
    This too.

  23. #23
    Has opinion, will express
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12,774
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ho hum.

    As I have become older, the Olympics have become more and more irrelevant.

    Money speaks volumes.

    Except for boring and irrelevant opening ceremonies.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Williamsburg, Tennesse.
    My Bikes
    All have flats.
    Posts
    887
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LemondFanForeve View Post
    Wow Corky, you have some SERIOUS issues.


    I don't know if I should be flattered or frightened when the Dopedstronged Lemond fan is saying I have issues.


    Didn't a grip of Track Stars get their start BMXing? What about Sagan? Didn't he get his start on BMX and MTB? But those aren't "Real" sports with crappy black and white Rapha flavored Histories, so they must not be on the same level as Road Racing.
    Racing bikes is Racing bikes. The Olympics is already brought to you courtesy of Coca Cola and McDonald's, and the "Amateur" darlings of the 1st World participating are Pro's, so who cares?

  25. #25
    Senior Member eddiepliers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2011 Scott Addict R3 and Redline Conquest with Campy Veloce
    Posts
    661
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    You forget there would be naked women too.



    Think about that.
    Thank you for that...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •