Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
  1. #1
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    was 2012 TDF the most boring ever ?

    I was very disappointed. It was boring.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,742
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it was not that great. Especially when the most talented climber of his generation (Contador) was not there.
    Regards,

    Jed

  3. #3
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you are right. i dont like contador but he was exciting to watch and was probably the best rider in the tour.

    correct me if i am wrong, but it looked like wiggins teamate could have beaten him but slowed down instead.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,742
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steam master View Post
    you are right. i dont like contador but he was exciting to watch and was probably the best rider in the tour.

    correct me if i am wrong, but it looked like wiggins teamate could have beaten him but slowed down instead.
    Yeah, Froome could have put some time on Wiggins. How much time, and whether he could have won the whole GC shebang is another kettle of fish altogether, as Wiggins is a much better time-trialist than Froome. The truth though, is that Froome was hired as Wiggo's domestique, and he stuck to his job description.
    Regards,

    Jed

  5. #5
    Professional Fuss-Budget Bacciagalupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,289
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you're basing this on how many years of TdF history? 2 or 3?

    Plenty of TdF's have been won with a strong team and conservative tactics, notably Anquetil's 5 wins. It happens because in many cases, a strong team conservative tactics are a good way to win. Kinda hard to argue with success.

    Plus, the great thing about the Tour is that it involves much more than just the GC. E.g. this year you had France taking 5 stages, lots of new talent (Sagan, TVG, Pinot), a fairly intense Polka Dot competition....

  6. #6
    Senior Member eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,400
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except for Voeckler's facial expressions, Gilbert scaring the $hit out of a little girl, and TeeJay winning the white jersey, yes a very boring TdF.

    Snoozeville...(yet I miss it).
    My current stable:

    1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

  7. #7
    Senior Member eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,400
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bacciagalupe View Post
    plus, the great thing about the tour is that it involves much more than just the gc. E.g. This year you had france taking 5 stages, lots of new talent (sagan, tvg, pinot), a fairly intense polka dot competition....
    ^^^this^^^
    My current stable:

    1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

  8. #8
    Lance Hater Laggard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    4,316
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steam master View Post
    I was very disappointed. It was boring.
    Then you are a boring person.

    When you have more than two tdfs under your belt you will learn to enjoy and appreciate all aspects of racing, not just the GC.
    i may have overreacted

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    331
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch it again and look out for Cancellara, Cavendish, Fedrigo, Froome, Goss, Greipel, Kessiakoff, Millar, Morkov, Pinot, Rolland, Sagan, Sanchez, Sorensen, van Garderen, Voeckler, etc. etc.

    There's plenty to watch beyond the GC leader board.

  10. #10
    Senior Member zonatandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Posts
    9,941
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you call it 'most boring', then why did you watch it?

  11. #11
    Senior Member cthenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Walnut Creek
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone/DA9000, 2002 Litespeed Classic
    Posts
    767
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of the ones I've watched, yes. Really, it's hard to compare to 2011, one of the best I've seen, but overall, I'm already starting to forget what happened from day to day. Apart from Voeckler a few days, and Froome's hilarity on Stage 17(?) when he kept looking back and motioning for Mr. Wiggo, there wasn't much to take away from this years edition. Oh yeah, I remember Greipel kicking Crashy Farrar in the head and then winning a stage, that was pretty awesome.

  12. #12
    Senior Member downtube42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Columbus, Indiana
    My Bikes
    too many/not enough
    Posts
    1,511
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Athens80 View Post
    Watch it again and look out for Cancellara, Cavendish, Fedrigo, Froome, Goss, Greipel, Kessiakoff, Millar, Morkov, Pinot, Rolland, Sagan, Sanchez, Sorensen, van Garderen, Voeckler, etc. etc.

    There's plenty to watch beyond the GC leader board.
    +1
    What is bicycle touring?
    "So I kept looking and eventually found that a spark plug had same threads. So I cycled next two days until I got to Jackson, MS with a spark plug instead of right pedal." - mev

  13. #13
    1. e4 Nf6 Alekhine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    7844`W, 4246`N
    My Bikes
    Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)
    Posts
    870
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, there are other things besides the GC to spice up a tour, absolutely. I think people are making the mistake of not indicating that they are talking about the GC comp exclusively, instead saying it was a boring tour, and as people are correctly pointing out, it just wasn't. I found Voeckler's and Sagan's stories this year very exciting. I don't see any reason why the question of this year's GC being something of a Bore de France is particularly illegitimate though. It's okay to say it. I've been enjoying this event and others longer than many here have been alive, and yes, I was less than enthusiastic about the 2012 GC comp as it unfolded.

    That said, to answer the OP, sure - there are other tours in history that compete with it and even supersede this year's GC in the snooze department. To some extent any GC comp where the first place finisher thrashes the field from beginning to end is in its way boring or at least not so suspense-filled, and there have been plenty of those, including probably the most celebrated tour ever with Merckx in '69. The difference in that case is that Merckx was such an exciting rider and went all out and blasted the field on more than just the TTs (and of course won everything there was to win). It's just exciting to watch a superman do his thing. People look forward to interesting mountain stages and GC contender stage wins that aren't TTs. That's just the way it is. The desire to root for the underdog is an old one too, so people want to see a visible struggle between worthy adversaries, preferably with some seesaw component in the standings or even made-up time on a stage over the leader, even if the underdog loses in the end. Added to this, just about any tour where some current top class rider(s) are absent can be disappointing for some before it even begins, or tours where a big name drops out mid-ride, etc (Ocana!). Lots of variables, and this year's tour had a few of the negative ones in the same hat. Funny enough, I found it exciting in those moments this year where Evans bonked in the mountains.

    Would disagree to a slight extent with Bacciagalupe about all 5 of Anquetil's wins, though his characterization of Anquetil is pretty true. He was primarily a conservative rider whose godlike TT skills did most of the trick, not unlike Wiggo. But it's not just the winner and his team tactics that makes it boring or not. It takes two (sometimes more) to tango, and it feels like people are disappointed with Wiggins'/SKY's competition more than anything. Conservative GC riders and TT specialists who are workmanlike in the climbs still have to deal with not-so-conservative competitors, particularly in the mountains, and those competitors can make for a wildly exciting GC comp no matter how boring the winner's tactics are - or even better - the comp can make that conservative rider drop his conservatism (and his support). The 1964 tour was especially dramatic with regard to what people want out of a good GC, and the duel between Anquetil and Poulidor on the Puy de Dome absolutely dwarfed anything in this year's GC comp suspense-wise. To be fair, it dwarfed most GC stories and was a very close race, with Anquetil not taking the maillot jaune until very late and only beating Poulidor by 55 seconds overall. I have a photo of those two practically leaning on each other on the Puy with looks on their faces that are pretty similar to death - that's exciting. The 1961 tour (Anquetil) on the other hand was even more of a total whitewash than this one.

  14. #14
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember at least 3 stages where the "favorite" sprinters jumped and then quit after about 2 seconds. It really seemed to be that they didnt care and didnt want to put in the effort.

    There didnt seem to be any competition in the mountains.

  15. #15
    Senior Member colombo357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steam master View Post
    I was very disappointed.
    Nobody cares. Nobody.
    "I just googled triple crank set and i see what your saying. this bike has 9 of those "cranksets".
    "They are showing [the TDF of Versus] at 5 different times in the day. It doesn't say which one is the live one."

  16. #16
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colombo357 View Post
    Nobody cares. Nobody.
    says the person who took the time to respond.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Leander Texas
    My Bikes
    GT avalanche, '78 Gran Criterion
    Posts
    133
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if I would say boring, but it was lacking something this year IMO.
    Lacking a truly dangerous attacker from the GC--i.e Contador. Yes, there were attacks, but not much got away. Yes, Sky was dominant, too dominant for a very interesting tour? To me it seemed I was watching a lot of tour, waiting for the action to come that really didn't materialize. I always like to see attacks, especially in the mountains. Did this year seem less mountainous? Maybe some changes in years to come? No radios and smaller teams maybe. 9 guys a team seems like a lot. Maybe limit the number in the field/team members on certain days--maybe this will change the look of the tour and limit some of the crashes. I dunno, maybe all the tv coverage has me wanting to see action all the time. Maybe I have forgotten how tough each stage is and it can't be all action. Also seems there are limited tactics in this kind of a race and everybody knows them so breaks don't get away often enough?

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    738
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2012 TDF was not boring. However, this thread is.

    Which do you prefer? A relatively clean peloton or each rider bringing 4 bags of blood to the start? Maybe 2006 with Floyd falling apart & losing huge amounts of time one day. A transfusion for recovery that evening & the next day riding away from the peloton all day.

  19. #19
    Senior Member colombo357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steam master View Post
    says the person who took the time to respond.
    Irrelevant.

    I would agree that the GC aspect of the tour wasn't particularly suspenseful, but nobody cares about how "disappointed" you are. The tour isn't about you, contrary to what you'd like to believe.
    "I just googled triple crank set and i see what your saying. this bike has 9 of those "cranksets".
    "They are showing [the TDF of Versus] at 5 different times in the day. It doesn't say which one is the live one."

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Haunchyville
    Posts
    5,802
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So then what was the most boring TdF? Because even if none were truly boring, one of them was still 'the most boring'.

    Maybe not ever, because most of us weren't alive for the early ones, but say of the last 30 years.

  21. #21
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colombo357 View Post
    but nobody cares about how "disappointed" you are. The tour isn't about you, contrary to what you'd like to believe.
    I tend to disagree. I am the fan, the consumer, the reason the tour is put on. I pay for the tour. If fans are disappointed they watch less and then races go away and people like you cry because they cant ooogle their favorite men in spandex. Think of Georgia and Colorado and many others.

    Now dont tell me no one cares about me and what I think because I AM IMPORTANT.

  22. #22
    Goodbye Leeroy Jenkins tagaproject6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    My Bikes
    Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record);Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force);Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)
    Posts
    6,972
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steam master View Post
    I tend to disagree. I am the fan, the consumer, the reason the tour is put on. I pay for the tour. If fans are disappointed they watch less and then races go away and people like you cry because they cant ooogle their favorite men in spandex. Think of Georgia and Colorado and many others.

    Now dont tell me no one cares about me and what I think because I AM IMPORTANT.
    Midnight Biker? Is that you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TOML

    _________________________________________________________________________

    Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record)
    Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force)
    Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival)
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)

  23. #23
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tagaproject6 View Post
    Midnight Biker? Is that you?

    I usually go to bed around 9:30

  24. #24
    It's MY mountain DiabloScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mt.Diablo
    Posts
    5,380
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by canam73 View Post
    So then what was the most boring TdF? Because even if none were truly boring, one of them was still 'the most boring'.
    I think it was one of the Indurain years... I can't remember which because they all seemed the same. Also, Indurain was the most boring winner.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  25. #25
    Senior Member Keith99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,706
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alekhine View Post
    Ya, there are other things besides the GC to spice up a tour, absolutely. I think people are making the mistake of not indicating that they are talking about the GC comp exclusively, instead saying it was a boring tour, and as people are correctly pointing out, it just wasn't. I found Voeckler's and Sagan's stories this year very exciting. I don't see any reason why the question of this year's GC being something of a Bore de France is particularly illegitimate though. It's okay to say it. I've been enjoying this event and others longer than many here have been alive, and yes, I was less than enthusiastic about the 2012 GC comp as it unfolded.

    That said, to answer the OP, sure - there are other tours in history that compete with it and even supersede this year's GC in the snooze department. To some extent any GC comp where the first place finisher thrashes the field from beginning to end is in its way boring or at least not so suspense-filled, and there have been plenty of those, including probably the most celebrated tour ever with Merckx in '69. The difference in that case is that Merckx was such an exciting rider and went all out and blasted the field on more than just the TTs (and of course won everything there was to win). It's just exciting to watch a superman do his thing. People look forward to interesting mountain stages and GC contender stage wins that aren't TTs. That's just the way it is. The desire to root for the underdog is an old one too, so people want to see a visible struggle between worthy adversaries, preferably with some seesaw component in the standings or even made-up time on a stage over the leader, even if the underdog loses in the end. Added to this, just about any tour where some current top class rider(s) are absent can be disappointing for some before it even begins, or tours where a big name drops out mid-ride, etc (Ocana!). Lots of variables, and this year's tour had a few of the negative ones in the same hat. Funny enough, I found it exciting in those moments this year where Evans bonked in the mountains.

    Would disagree to a slight extent with Bacciagalupe about all 5 of Anquetil's wins, though his characterization of Anquetil is pretty true. He was primarily a conservative rider whose godlike TT skills did most of the trick, not unlike Wiggo. But it's not just the winner and his team tactics that makes it boring or not. It takes two (sometimes more) to tango, and it feels like people are disappointed with Wiggins'/SKY's competition more than anything. Conservative GC riders and TT specialists who are workmanlike in the climbs still have to deal with not-so-conservative competitors, particularly in the mountains, and those competitors can make for a wildly exciting GC comp no matter how boring the winner's tactics are - or even better - the comp can make that conservative rider drop his conservatism (and his support). The 1964 tour was especially dramatic with regard to what people want out of a good GC, and the duel between Anquetil and Poulidor on the Puy de Dome absolutely dwarfed anything in this year's GC comp suspense-wise. To be fair, it dwarfed most GC stories and was a very close race, with Anquetil not taking the maillot jaune until very late and only beating Poulidor by 55 seconds overall. I have a photo of those two practically leaning on each other on the Puy with looks on their faces that are pretty similar to death - that's exciting. The 1961 tour (Anquetil) on the other hand was even more of a total whitewash than this one.
    Bolding mine.

    I agree. Just want ot emphasise that if one was looking only at teh GC race 69 was over pretty early. But Merckx was the unAnquetil. He was not satisfied to defend, he attacked. I'm pretty sure that by midway through stage 17 everything was settled (save mathematically or Eddy crashing out) but it was the end of the stage that became the thing of legends.

    There was plenty in this years tour. Plenty to go with on how Green would play out until fairly late. With a not a pure sprinter in the mix there wa a lot of interesting tactical decistion made. (and one could anticipate just where the possibilities were). But these went unnoticed until after the fact.
    Perish any man who suspects that these men either did or suffered anything unseemly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •