Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    6,951
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Giro Stage 7: San Salvo - Pescara

    177 km, a "medium mountain" stage. The way the race has gone so far, I suspect the smaller teams will make this hard and difficult to control.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Wexford, Ireland
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Link to profile - http://www.grassyknolltv.com/2013/gi...profile-07.jpg

    I'm cramping up just looking at it.

  3. #3
    starting pistol means war YMCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    east coast
    My Bikes
    Cervelo R3
    Posts
    3,062
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pozzato for the win

  4. #4
    lead on macduff!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    south park-san diego, ca
    My Bikes
    2002 Coppi KSC Plane-1986 Masi 3Volumetrica-1985 Pinarello Treviso
    Posts
    1,858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^good call on pozzato. i'll go with kessiakoff from astana instead of gusev or brutt from katusha. a few of the usual suspects for a stage win here are too close to the top
    of the leaderboard to be let out of sight. hope it's as exciting and animated of a stage as it looks to be on paper

  5. #5
    starting pistol means war YMCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    east coast
    My Bikes
    Cervelo R3
    Posts
    3,062
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^
    Taking an Astana rider would not be wise.
    They'll be fully dedicated to Nibali this Giro.
    DiLuca would be a good choice, but I'll stick with my pick of FP

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Wexford, Ireland
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes, like riding sheet ice out there. Nibali's even gone down once.

    Edit: And there goes Wiggo!
    Last edited by Darkglasses; 05-10-13 at 09:11 AM.

  7. #7
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    6,951
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love this race. Year after year, it is more animated than the TdF. A really tough day for the big boys, today. More like skiing than cycling on the final descent.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

  8. #8
    starting pistol means war YMCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    east coast
    My Bikes
    Cervelo R3
    Posts
    3,062
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly why pros are pros.
    Fitness is only one part of the game.
    Skills, technique, etc... are paramount at this level of the sport.
    Great day to watch a bike race

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    912
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nibali's crash management skills are as artful as his descending skills. So Pro.

    After riding all three Grand Tours last year, Hansen definitely deserved that.

  10. #10
    cycling fanatic Ken Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Posts
    1,080
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    Love this race. Year after year, it is more animated than the TdF. A really tough day for the big boys, today. More like skiing than cycling on the final descent.
    +1

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Wexford, Ireland
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bradley has dropped to 23rd, 1.32 behind the leader Intxausti. Not impressed with him today, lots of riders hit the deck but nobody else that I could see just freewheeled home afterwards. Lots of dropped riders were bombing passed him on his way to the line. He'd better have an absolutely extraordinary time trial tomorrow. Anything less and the rest of the field should start getting their hopes up. There's been plenty of big and small names who are better placed and have shown much more desire for the maglia rosa.
    Last edited by Darkglasses; 05-10-13 at 06:03 PM.

  12. #12
    cycling fanatic Ken Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Posts
    1,080
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the impression that Wiggins had tires that were not as suited to the wet as the other riders. Probably wrong, I think he just lost his nerve. He couldn't even keep up with his teammates.

    Question: In Formula 1 the drivers head for the pits for rain tires when it starts to rain. Could cyclists change their tires? They would have to be the same size or they would not fit the brake clearance, but they could have a softer compound and different tread pattern. Better yet, change to a bike that has been set up for the wet. They never do it so I presume it is against regulations. I have never raced and never thought of this until I saw Bradley tiptoeing the final 6 km today.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Wexford, Ireland
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
    I got the impression that Wiggins had tires that were not as suited to the wet as the other riders. Probably wrong, I think he just lost his nerve. He couldn't even keep up with his teammates.

    Question: In Formula 1 the drivers head for the pits for rain tires when it starts to rain. Could cyclists change their tires? They would have to be the same size or they would not fit the brake clearance, but they could have a softer compound and different tread pattern. Better yet, change to a bike that has been set up for the wet. They never do it so I presume it is against regulations. I have never raced and never thought of this until I saw Bradley tiptoeing the final 6 km today.
    A few people have been tweeting into the Eurosport commentators about that lately. Apparently, specialist wet weather tires were briefly experimented with by Michelin (and another, less well known maker that I can't remember) in the early 90s but weren't continued. Sean Kelly was of the opinion that ordinary bike tyres just aren't that bad that it's necessary, unlike F1 slick tyres which just plain don't work in the rain. Plus, the profile of bike tyres is so tiny and the friction levels are so much smaller, that even having more tread on bike tyres wouldn't have all that big an effect.

    Just impractical for very minimal gains.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's understandable that Wiggins wouldn't want to hurt himself since he's the main contender for the tour de france. Even going slowly, he still fell, so the risks were high. However, all I was thinking about seeing him riding down the wet hills was that my little sister would probably have been faster.

    I'm cheering for Ryder tho, so Wiggins can be last and I'll be happy.
    Last edited by Microtom; 05-10-13 at 09:07 PM.

  15. #15
    Sprockette wabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,503
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pretty treacherous descents!
    You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. That's great...if you want to attract vermin.

  16. #16
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    6,951
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post

    Question: In Formula 1 the drivers head for the pits for rain tires when it starts to rain. Could cyclists change their tires? They would have to be the same size or they would not fit the brake clearance, but they could have a softer compound and different tread pattern. Better yet, change to a bike that has been set up for the wet. They never do it so I presume it is against regulations. I have never raced and never thought of this until I saw Bradley tiptoeing the final 6 km today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkglasses View Post
    A few people have been tweeting into the Eurosport commentators about that lately. Apparently, specialist wet weather tires were briefly experimented with by Michelin (and another, less well known maker that I can't remember) in the early 90s but weren't continued. Sean Kelly was of the opinion that ordinary bike tyres just aren't that bad that it's necessary, unlike F1 slick tyres which just plain don't work in the rain. Plus, the profile of bike tyres is so tiny and the friction levels are so much smaller, that even having more tread on bike tyres wouldn't have all that big an effect.

    Just impractical for very minimal gains.
    Not just impractical for minimum gains, but impractical because using tread would actually make things worse.

    The narrowness of bicycle tyres makes it impossible for them to aquaplane, so being treadless actually improves traction by maximising the small contact point. Having tread would simply reduce the amount of rubber on the road, so traction would be reduced, not increased. If you read the schwalbe website they address this, explaining that slick is better than treaded but that having a slightly rough or serrated surface is best, because it helps the tyre lock onto micro roughnesses in the tarmac.

    There are some specialist wet weather tyres. One of the schwalbe ultremos, for example, uses a softer compund for grip in the wet. And there is nothing to prevent teams using them. But they roll slightly less well than the others and may be even more likely to pick up debris and puncture, so one wouldn't want to use them all the time. And swapping to them in wet conditions would be problematic because it would entail either changing both wheels - time-consuming - or carrying sufficient extra bikes to re-equip everyone every time. I guess the latter could be done, but one would have to be very convinced of the advantages.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

  17. #17
    cycling fanatic Ken Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Posts
    1,080
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    And swapping to them in wet conditions would be problematic because it would entail either changing both wheels - time-consuming - or carrying sufficient extra bikes to re-equip everyone every time. I guess the latter could be done, but one would have to be very convinced of the advantages.
    When I suggested a separate bike for wet conditions I was thinking of wider tires. Wiggins could have ridden my touring bike faster than his racing bike. Fully loaded. You are right that they couldn't carry wet bikes for all, but one for the GC contender might be possible.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Wexford, Ireland
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microtom View Post
    It's understandable that Wiggins wouldn't want to hurt himself since he's the main contender for the tour de france. Even going slowly, he still fell, so the risks were high. However, all I was thinking about seeing him riding down the wet hills was that my little sister would probably have been faster.

    I'm cheering for Ryder tho, so Wiggins can be last and I'll be happy.
    *Whisper* This is the Giro D'Italia, Froome is going to be the main contender for the Tour de France!

  19. #19
    Senior Member Homebrew01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ffld Cnty Connecticut
    My Bikes
    Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
    Posts
    15,640
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkglasses View Post
    Bradley has dropped to 23rd, 1.32 behind the leader Intxausti. Not impressed with him today, lots of riders hit the deck but nobody else that I could see just freewheeled home afterwards. Lots of dropped riders were bombing passed him on his way to the line. He'd better have an absolutely extraordinary time trial tomorrow. Anything less and the rest of the field should start getting their hopes up. There's been plenty of big and small names who are better placed and have shown much more desire for the maglia rosa.
    He looked like big baby out there.
    Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •