Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-13, 11:31 PM   #1
keithdunlop
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NBC Sports schedule frustration

Does anyone else find NBC Sports' published cycling coverage schedule completely frustrating? I'm recording the Dauphine at their published times on DirecTv only to find that everytime I run the DVR that I get at least 30+ minutes of some other sport. Tonight the entire stage 4 coverage turned out to be a day-in-the-life story of a hockey player -- no Dauphine! WTF?
keithdunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 02:02 AM   #2
Astrozombie
Senior Member
 
Astrozombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: East L.A.
Bikes: Windsor Dover, Motobecane Mirage, Diamondback Insight
Posts: 860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I understand the postgame show, but then they switch to an episode of 24/7 with whatever hockey team what the hell? And no replays?

Last edited by Astrozombie; 06-06-13 at 02:56 AM.
Astrozombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 05:50 AM   #3
a77impala
a77impala
 
a77impala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Western South Dakota
Bikes:
Posts: 1,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been recording two hours of tv to get one hour of biking, this morning in two hours I had twelve minutes of bike racing. This morning they are replaying a hockey game!
I have set to record three hours tonight in hopes of getting the bike race!
a77impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 06:15 AM   #4
Giacomo 1 
Senior Member
 
Giacomo 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I couldn't stay up for the stage last night. Hockey game went into double overtime, and if that wasn't bad enough, as Astrozombie said, they switched to that hockey reality schlock show for another hour. Ridiculous. I also find it hard to believe that they cannot spare an hour in their precious programming to give us a replay. I mean, now much bass fishing and duck hunting can somebody watch?

I think it's time to write some letters to the network guys and make your voices heard.

But face it guys, we're screwed for decent cycling coverage here in the States. It's just a niche sport, and a small one at that. They keep pronouncing how it's growing here by leaps-and-bounds, and while the crowds at the races are actually pretty darn good, there seems to be no interest from TV, except maybe for the TDF. It's going to take another, dare I say it, Lance Armstrong type, to bring interest back to the sport here. So ride TJ, ride!
__________________
Colnago Super
Torelli Pista
Basso Gap
Fabio Barecci
Miyata 1400A

It never gets easier, you just go faster. ~ Greg LeMond
Giacomo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 07:57 AM   #5
Tony N.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North West South Carolina
Bikes:
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with all the above and also watch on Direct TV. Very frustrated.
Tony N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 08:28 AM   #6
Leinster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 2,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1 View Post

But face it guys, we're screwed for decent cycling coverage here in the States. It's just a niche sport, and a small one at that. They keep pronouncing how it's growing here by leaps-and-bounds, and while the crowds at the races are actually pretty darn good, there seems to be no interest from TV, except maybe for the TDF. It's going to take another, dare I say it, Lance Armstrong type, to bring interest back to the sport here. So ride TJ, ride!

Maas true as this is, how does replacing a scheduled tape-delayed bike race coverage with a pre-recorded hockey reality show/ life story help even the guy who wants to watch the reality show/life story? He'll have missed it because he thinks there's a stoopid bike race on at that time!
Leinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 09:14 AM   #7
Giacomo 1 
Senior Member
 
Giacomo 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leinster View Post
Maas true as this is, how does replacing a scheduled tape-delayed bike race coverage with a pre-recorded hockey reality show/ life story help even the guy who wants to watch the reality show/life story? He'll have missed it because he thinks there's a stoopid bike race on at that time!
I get your point, but while cycling is not the most popular sport around, it's still actually a sport and should be given preference over a hockey reality show that is just...just... ummm, well, you know, it's just...CRAPOLA!

NBCSports has a long way to go to get cycling right, but they are capable of it as we've seen great coverage of F1 from them since they took that over from SPEED channel, and heck, even there coverage of Professional Bull Riding and Bass Fishing is very good (if you like those sorts of things!)
__________________
Colnago Super
Torelli Pista
Basso Gap
Fabio Barecci
Miyata 1400A

It never gets easier, you just go faster. ~ Greg LeMond
Giacomo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 11:13 AM   #8
whitemax
Senior Member
 
whitemax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1 View Post
Yeah, I couldn't stay up for the stage last night. Hockey game went into double overtime, and if that wasn't bad enough, as Astrozombie said, they switched to that hockey reality schlock show for another hour. Ridiculous. I also find it hard to believe that they cannot spare an hour in their precious programming to give us a replay. I mean, now much bass fishing and duck hunting can somebody watch?

I think it's time to write some letters to the network guys and make your voices heard.

But face it guys, we're screwed for decent cycling coverage here in the States. It's just a niche sport, and a small one at that. They keep pronouncing how it's growing here by leaps-and-bounds, and while the crowds at the races are actually pretty darn good, there seems to be no interest from TV, except maybe for the TDF. It's going to take another, dare I say it, Lance Armstrong type, to bring interest back to the sport here. So ride TJ, ride!
A niche sport it is, but what I can't understand, is that who the heck is watching hockey in the U.S.? Many people ride bikes here but don't play hockey. I don't get it. With Versus it was bullriding and now it's frickin hockey.
whitemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 11:35 AM   #9
cafzali
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rockland County, NY
Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5
Posts: 1,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemax View Post
A niche sport it is, but what I can't understand, is that who the heck is watching hockey in the U.S.? Many people ride bikes here but don't play hockey. I don't get it. With Versus it was bullriding and now it's frickin hockey.
Hockey is one of the fastest-growing sports in the country as far as viewership goes. When you can fill arenas in places like Nashville and Atlanta, that just a decade ago had barely heard of it and where they never offered it in school as an athletics option, that tells you something.

The vast majority of people who ride bikes don't really have a deep interest in cycling as a competitive sport. If they did, more would offer it and it wouldn't be relegated to late night during the Stanley Cup playoffs, where schedule changes wreak havoc.
cafzali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 11:37 AM   #10
Keith99
Senior Member
 
Keith99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really do not get their coverage.

Honestly is it more stupid then any of the pure cycling people might realize. I'm also a Kings fan. But in the first round I missed the first period of the Kings game because they stayed with the Eastern Conference game. Now that would be fine even if I was in San Francisco. But I live and watch in Los Angeles.

At least they left for the Los Angeles game as soon as the other one was over. I've seen them stay through a post game while missing the LOCAL game in the same sport before.
Keith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 12:50 PM   #11
mprelaw
Senior Member
 
mprelaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 2,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You're complaining about a US cable network, that has a viewing audience of Americans, 99.7% of whom would think that the Dauphine' is a documentary about the search for Louis XVI's lost heir to the throne.

Might I add, the same network whose Olympics coverage is about 30 minutes of taped results, interwoven with 2-1/2 hours of warm and fuzzy profiles of athletes.

Caveat emptor and all that.
mprelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 02:54 PM   #12
Giacomo 1 
Senior Member
 
Giacomo 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprelaw View Post
You're complaining about a US cable network, that has a viewing audience of Americans, 99.7% of whom would think that the Dauphine' is a documentary about the search for Louis XVI's lost heir to the throne.
That may well be, but I would think the whole point of NBCSports owning this cycling series would be to promote it so that people learn the Dauphine is not a documentary about Louis XVI, but a cycling race, and a pretty important one, the lead-up to the TDF!

Your telling me that with all of the garbage that this network shows all day, they can't find a better slot for it somewhere in their lineup? How many duck hunting show's does this network need? They can't give us a replay? They can't give us more than a lousy hour? Heck, Dan Patrick get's 4 hours a day! How are they going to grow the sport if they only show 1 hour of a 4 hour race in the middle of the night? And that's when it's not pre-empted by reality hockey schlock! Right now, cycling is right up there with Midnight Poker and darts. Pro Bass Fishing gets more respect on this network.

OK, I feel better...
__________________
Colnago Super
Torelli Pista
Basso Gap
Fabio Barecci
Miyata 1400A

It never gets easier, you just go faster. ~ Greg LeMond
Giacomo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 08:31 AM   #13
whitemax
Senior Member
 
whitemax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafzali View Post
Hockey is one of the fastest-growing sports in the country as far as viewership goes. When you can fill arenas in places like Nashville and Atlanta, that just a decade ago had barely heard of it and where they never offered it in school as an athletics option, that tells you something.

The vast majority of people who ride bikes don't really have a deep interest in cycling as a competitive sport. If they did, more would offer it and it wouldn't be relegated to late night during the Stanley Cup playoffs, where schedule changes wreak havoc.
That's the thing I don't understand. Why is hockey one of the fastest growing sports in the U.S.? Very few here are able to play the game. You can barely see the puck on t.v. which dampens the viewing experience. And, like him or not, Lance did a lot to popularize the sport of cycling. It was great when you could count on Outdoor Life Network or Versus to provide some coverage of cycling each Sunday during the season. NBC Sports blows.
whitemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 11:38 AM   #14
Tony N.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North West South Carolina
Bikes:
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nope, don't feel better yet. Is there anywhere else that I can watch these bike races even if I have to pay short of going to them? I'm very concerned about nbcsports coverage of tdf. Are these key bike races available online or another sports channel? Since the answer to these questions may be dependent on location, please tell your location.
Tony N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 12:20 PM   #15
Shakeyone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Bikes: 2012 Specialized Tricross-Sport
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I missed out on all of Stage 4 also Like many others I don't understand NBC's cycling broadcasting strategy. I am really excited about the upcoming TDF and at least there they don't disappoint (praying I didn't jinx it). I would bash NBC hard but I don't because no other sport channel is showing anything at all. And the poker crap on sports channels just freaken blows my mind what a bunch of poo!
Shakeyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 02:25 PM   #16
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid
 
Zinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Spokane WA
Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemax View Post
That's the thing I don't understand. Why is hockey one of the fastest growing sports in the U.S.? Very few here are able to play the game. You can barely see the puck on t.v. which dampens the viewing experience.
That's easy.
Hockey is violent and American couch potatoes love violence.
Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 03:02 PM   #17
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget
 
Bacciagalupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The online option last year was fantastic. I could come home, watch as much as I wanted at my leisure, and replay whatever I wanted.

If they revive that for cable subscribers, I'll live. Otherwise, well, I'm sure I can figure out how to write some nastygrams. Isn't that what BF trains you for?
Bacciagalupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 03:06 PM   #18
Giacomo 1 
Senior Member
 
Giacomo 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeyone View Post
I missed out on all of Stage 4 also Like many others I don't understand NBC's cycling broadcasting strategy. I am really excited about the upcoming TDF and at least there they don't disappoint (praying I didn't jinx it). I would bash NBC hard but I don't because no other sport channel is showing anything at all. And the poker crap on sports channels just freaken blows my mind what a bunch of poo!
I've pretty much given up on watching the rest of the Dauphine.

Right now, and I'm sure I'm not alone, I feel like I'm being abused by NBC, like their playing us for suckers. At this point, they could just replace the tour with infomercials about curing baldness or Low T, or how to improve your sexual performance, and have better ratings.
__________________
Colnago Super
Torelli Pista
Basso Gap
Fabio Barecci
Miyata 1400A

It never gets easier, you just go faster. ~ Greg LeMond
Giacomo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 03:35 PM   #19
Shakeyone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Bikes: 2012 Specialized Tricross-Sport
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I totally understand where your coming from and I can't argue. For me the good thing is stage 4 was a TT and I don't enjoy they way those are covered on TV so it was easier for me to rationalize. I did enjoy watching stage 5 and you may too,*warning* it may suck you back in to watch the rest of it!
Shakeyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 06:01 PM   #20
sprince
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia
Bikes:
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Versus' coverage was ok, but was crap as soon as NBC took it over. Too bad we can't get Eurosport in the US. I find their coverage much more enjoyable, even with the crappy streaming issues and popup ads, and even when I have to watch it in French. Al Jazeera has some cycling coverage, since they bought out Gore's network maybe there is hope?
sprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 09:34 PM   #21
cthenn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Bikes: 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, 2016 Devinci Hatchet, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I was pissed off enough when the Giro was not televised this year, now they are screwing with the schedule on NBC Sports as well. Forget arguing about whether hockey is worthy, but it is ridiculous that they play these day in the life shows well after the games. The playoff game goes into OT, then they sit around talking about it, then they show back to back hour long shows of these hockey players. That's what's frustrating. Make an EFFORT to show the bike race with a reasonable amount of time after it's supposed time slot. You don't have to play these stupid taped shows that they could show at any time.
cthenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-13, 01:05 PM   #22
Keith99
Senior Member
 
Keith99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthenn View Post
I was pissed off enough when the Giro was not televised this year, now they are screwing with the schedule on NBC Sports as well. Forget arguing about whether hockey is worthy, but it is ridiculous that they play these day in the life shows well after the games. The playoff game goes into OT, then they sit around talking about it, then they show back to back hour long shows of these hockey players. That's what's frustrating. Make an EFFORT to show the bike race with a reasonable amount of time after it's supposed time slot. You don't have to play these stupid taped shows that they could show at any time.
Actually I don't think those day in the life shows will fly any time. Just catching a bit of them it seemed they are fairly recent, as in this years playoffs or the last part of the regular season.

Likely stuff that would be ignored by hockey fans if replayed next year.

And like other 'up close and personal' stuff it seems it is more important to the network that no staffer works on something that then gets ignored. Can't have production personnel feel unappreciated.
Keith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-13, 07:55 PM   #23
cthenn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Bikes: 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, 2016 Devinci Hatchet, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith99 View Post
Actually I don't think those day in the life shows will fly any time. Just catching a bit of them it seemed they are fairly recent, as in this years playoffs or the last part of the regular season.

Likely stuff that would be ignored by hockey fans if replayed next year.

And like other 'up close and personal' stuff it seems it is more important to the network that no staffer works on something that then gets ignored. Can't have production personnel feel unappreciated.
Yeah, but then why is the TV schedule not showing it? Didn't OP mention something about Direct TV? I have Astound, and it also never said anything about these other shows. It showed NHL hockey then the race. When you DVR something, you are gonna miss it if you don't add an additional 2 or 3 hours to the time because of these "unannounced" shows.
cthenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-13, 10:41 PM   #24
cthenn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Bikes: 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, 2016 Devinci Hatchet, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Argh!!!! Once again, my TV Cable schedule is showing a 100th TdF special that's supposed to be on right now, but nope...more hockey! This time, it's hockey highlights from this season. From THIS season's playoffs. Why does NBC Sports even bother carrying cycling, they just take a crap all over it for ice hockey. I just hope this stupid hockey crap is over by next weekend, or else we'll never know when to watch the Tour. I hate this channel!
cthenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-13, 02:00 PM   #25
Giacomo 1 
Senior Member
 
Giacomo 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthenn View Post
Argh!!!! Once again, my TV Cable schedule is showing a 100th TdF special that's supposed to be on right now, but nope...more hockey! This time, it's hockey highlights from this season. From THIS season's playoffs. Why does NBC Sports even bother carrying cycling, they just take a crap all over it for ice hockey. I just hope this stupid hockey crap is over by next weekend, or else we'll never know when to watch the Tour. I hate this channel!
Well, I'm glad that I went to bed then! I tried to make it, but I was to tired. Sorry you didn't do the same.

Looks like a one time showing to, because I haven't seen it on the schedule again...
__________________
Colnago Super
Torelli Pista
Basso Gap
Fabio Barecci
Miyata 1400A

It never gets easier, you just go faster. ~ Greg LeMond
Giacomo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:58 AM.