Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-13, 08:54 AM   #1
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
Thread Starter
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,553
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Phil can't even get the winner right (stage3 spoiler alert)

Great job on the mic today.

After trotting out a win for Peter Sagan and espousing his greatness it turns out that the crafty little wheel sucker Gerrans (after a great lead out from his teammate) pips him at the line to win another stage of the TDF. Which is pretty much what I saw as it was happening. And Paul wasn't jumping on the bandwagon either.

After totally screwing the pooch the best Phil can come up with is "sometimes dreams do come true". Is he shilling for Disneyland?

So I'm going to wish upon a star that this dottering Lancesucker gets strep throat this evening.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 07-01-13 at 10:08 AM.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 09:36 AM   #2
Giacomo 1 
Senior Member
 
Giacomo 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I disagree.

So Phil missed a call, no big deal IMHO. I think both Phil and Paul bring a dignified class to the Tour. They are old-school cool, without the gitchy, glitzy, catch phrases we're forced to listen to from the NFL, NBA, and MLB announcers and without the in-your-face, street attitude so prevalent in our sports calls today. They call the race well, give interesting facts and figures without overwhelming us like so many modern era announcers do, they tell good stories and are just easy on the ears. I might feel this way because I'm abit of an old school guy myself and miss the simple and fun call of Phil Rizzuto announcing Yankee games.

I was actually on the way to starting a thread on just how well NBC SportsNetwork has done on their coverage, but I'll just put it here. They have really stepped things up and have treated this Tour like the important sporting event it is. They have pretty much dedicated their whole day to live coverage and tape delay. Everyone gets a chance to watch. And their helicopter coverage is simply beautiful, as they show the gorgeous scenery and the movement of the riders. I've been highly impressed, especially when you look back at just how bad their cycling coverage has been before this!

Kudo's to NBC!
__________________
Colnago Super
Torelli Pista
Basso Gap
Fabio Barecci
Miyata 1400A

It never gets easier, you just go faster. ~ Greg LeMond
Giacomo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 09:40 AM   #3
Giacomo 1 
Senior Member
 
Giacomo 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh, and I think that Gerrans just surprised the heck out of Sagan with a beautiful inside move. Sagan went a hair late and just missed him at the line. Had the race gone another 50 ft., I think Sagan wins...
__________________
Colnago Super
Torelli Pista
Basso Gap
Fabio Barecci
Miyata 1400A

It never gets easier, you just go faster. ~ Greg LeMond
Giacomo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 09:59 AM   #4
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
Thread Starter
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,553
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1 View Post
I disagree.
How dare you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1 View Post
So Phil missed a call, no big deal IMHO
That's what he's paid to do. If he was a doctor he'd be killing people right and left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1 View Post
They are old-school cool, without the gitchy, glitzy, catch phrases we're forced to listen to
Both of them are nothing but catch phrases and jimmicky gibberish at this point. Plus Phil is wrong so often it's silly. Count how many times Paul says "the sport of professional cycling" over the next three weeks. "Dancing on the pedals" Blah blah blah. Really, I've been listening to these guys for years and the last five have been a downhill slide into pomposity and cliches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1 View Post
I might feel this way because I'm a bit of an old school guy myself and miss the simple and fun call of Phil Rizzuto announcing Yankee games.
I'm 53. I'm also a racer with more than a few championship jerseys. A lot of what they feed the audience is malarky. Guy cramping on a descent is "shaking the lactic out of his legs". Everyone descends in excess of 70 MPH on a technical descent. Er, OK.

There was an old Mad Magazine spoof on learning how to speak with a British accent, because then you could be a complete idiot and people would still believe you knew what you were talking about.

The guys who are doing the smaller races and the Eurosport crew do a much better job.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 10:08 AM   #5
Cat4Lifer
Velo Club La Grange
 
Cat4Lifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: MDR, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just adding to my post count.
Cat4Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 10:11 AM   #6
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post

There was an old Mad Magazine spoof on learning how to speak with a British accent, because then you could be a complete idiot and people would still believe you knew what you were talking about.
Speaking of how dare you, how dare you let people in on my secret. Only works in the States, unfortunately, I should spend more time over there.

Quote:
The guys who are doing the smaller races and the Eurosport crew do a much better job.
Agree about this. The Eurosport team of Kirby and Kelly (David Harmon is suffering from depression, apparently) are altogether more informative and less inclined to hype it up. It's a pity about Phil, he seems to be more and more prone to recycling a few stock and oft- repeated phrases.
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 10:12 AM   #7
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
Thread Starter
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,553
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1 View Post
Oh, and I think that Gerrans just surprised the heck out of Sagan with a beautiful inside move. Sagan went a hair late and just missed him at the line. Had the race gone another 50 ft., I think Sagan wins...
It didn't go another 50 feet though.

No surprise move either. Gerrans was in front of Sagan from around the 500m mark, with his guy on the front drilling it. Gerrans timed it perfectly, as did his teammate. Sagan just didn't have enough punch to come around in time.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 10:12 AM   #8
reef58
Senior Member
 
reef58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wilmington, NC
Bikes: Serotta Nove
Posts: 1,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We don't get EuroSport
Phil makes a lot of mistakes, but he is not a doctor, no loss of life
He is actually pretty good at what he does. If the broadcast is 4 hours much of that time is uneventful, and he makes it interesting enough. That is an underrated skill
reef58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 10:14 AM   #9
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
Thread Starter
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,553
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
Speaking of how dare you, how dare you let people in on my secret. Only works in the States, unfortunately, I should spend more time over there.
You could be king.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 10:27 AM   #10
Giacomo 1 
Senior Member
 
Giacomo 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
How dare you.
Sorry, didn't mean to get up all in your grill yo! (Geez, why can't Paul and Phil call the race like that?)


Quote:
That's what he's paid to do. If he was a doctor he'd be killing people right and left.
Ummm, he's not a doctor, you drama queen...



Quote:
Both of them are nothing but catch phrases and jimmicky gibberish at this point. Plus Phil is wrong so often it's silly. Count how many times Paul says "the sport of professional cycling" over the next three weeks. "Dancing on the pedals" Blah blah blah. Really, I've been listening to these guys for years and the last five have been a downhill slide into pomposity and cliches.
jimmicky gibberish? How dare you say that! Ummm, what does that mean exactly?


Quote:
There was an old Mad Magazine spoof on learning how to speak with a British accent, because then you could be a complete idiot and people would still believe you knew what you were talking about.
I do! And it's very easy on the ears to...

Quote:
The guys who are doing the smaller races and the Eurosport crew do a much better job.
Maybe, but I'm just glad to have such extensive coverage and to see NBC do such a fine job. The simplicity of Phil and Pauls call is for an American audience that rarely watches "the sport of professional cycling"..
__________________
Colnago Super
Torelli Pista
Basso Gap
Fabio Barecci
Miyata 1400A

It never gets easier, you just go faster. ~ Greg LeMond
Giacomo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 10:42 AM   #11
Giacomo 1 
Senior Member
 
Giacomo 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reef58 View Post
He is actually pretty good at what he does. If the broadcast is 4 hours much of that time is uneventful, and he makes it interesting enough. That is an underrated skill
Completely agree.

It certainly takes a different skill set than calling a hockey game and it is not always easy to keep somebody glued to a 4 hr. stage, something I think both Phil and Paul do well...
__________________
Colnago Super
Torelli Pista
Basso Gap
Fabio Barecci
Miyata 1400A

It never gets easier, you just go faster. ~ Greg LeMond
Giacomo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 10:51 AM   #12
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: teh Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 19,878
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
the few folks (based on the ratings) that remain glued are likely a set of folks that would be glued if they dubbed animal noises over the entire four hours.
gsteinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 11:48 AM   #13
reef58
Senior Member
 
reef58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wilmington, NC
Bikes: Serotta Nove
Posts: 1,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Phil and Paul are to me like Madden and Sumerall in football. They were not the best technically, but their voices signified a big game, and I found them entertaining. I miss Bob Roll calling the evening coverage. He wasn't bad.
reef58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 12:10 PM   #14
HardyWeinberg
GATC
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: south Puget Sound
Bikes:
Posts: 7,538
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
I would just like to interject that I am not thrilled w/ nbc sports unless I just haven't been watching closely enough, but yesterday at least they showed the stage trophy presentation and the yellow jersey presentation but seemed to show coming attractions of other stuff entirely during the other ones. Not that that's a crucial part of my viewing experience.

Mostly I'm glad when the stages end in time for me to leave the house and bike to work and not be much later than I would be on any other day. That's a tribute to start times and time zones of course.

Another maybe nbc maybe general hassle is, my wife was pointing out how many things Phil was wrong about and with the time lag between audio and video we had to wait to see what he was describing before figuring out if he was wrong or not.

I have no real complaint about the degree to which Phil is wrong, it reminds me of Dave Niehaus' Mariner game calls.
HardyWeinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 12:41 PM   #15
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
Great job on the mic today.

After trotting out a win for Peter Sagan and espousing his greatness it turns out that the crafty little wheel sucker Gerrans (after a great lead out from his teammate) pips him at the line to win another stage of the TDF. Which is pretty much what I saw as it was happening. And Paul wasn't jumping on the bandwagon either.

After totally screwing the pooch the best Phil can come up with is "sometimes dreams do come true". Is he shilling for Disneyland?

So I'm going to wish upon a star that this dottering Lancesucker gets strep throat this evening.
Be careful ehre...the Philophiles will have your skull for this.

I too am tired of Phil's coverage.

I was at Doger Stadium last night to watch the Dodgers pummel the Phillies. Phil should take broadcasting (and diction) lessons) from Vince Scully.

But like a slightly demented old uncle, Phil can be amusing at time. For instance, on today's coverage Paul was commenting on how the race organizers used a boat to ferry people from one side of the island ot the other.

Then Phil pipes in: "and that is not a row boat we are talking about, it is a proper boat, it can even carry lorries."

Really Phil? Was that your attempts at being funny? Was there anyone who thought that Paul was referring to a row boat? Or even a Roman galley?

I get it that he is English and all of that and that he can't bring himself to say "truck" instead of lorrie so that those of us on this side of the pond can figure out what he is talking about. But when is he ever going to learn to properly pronounce the name "Los Angeles?" It is so annoying every time he says "Los An-che-liz."

Oh well, there is always the "mute" button.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 12:47 PM   #16
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
I get it that he is English and all of that and that he can't bring himself to say "truck" instead of lorrie so that those of us on this side of the pond can figure out what he is talking about. But when is he ever going to learn to properly pronounce the name "Los Angeles?" It is so annoying every time he says "Los An-che-liz."
LOL. I'm no Ligget fan, but of all the criticisms that can be levelled at him, this is the funniest to English ears. Americans' insistence on mangling British place names is notorious over here.
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 01:29 PM   #17
Leinster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 2,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
Agree about this. The Eurosport team of Kirby and Kelly (David Harmon is suffering from depression, apparently) are altogether more informative and less inclined to hype it up. It's a pity about Phil, he seems to be more and more prone to recycling a few stock and oft- repeated phrases.
Bring back David Duffield!

Phil and Paul aren't bad. Phil's good for the occasional English eccentricism. On last year, the tour was passing a nuclear power plant, Sherwin points out "I'm not too happy about that, because they use water from the English channel to cool the reactor." Ligget pipes up; "Well I'm sure when they're done with it, they put the water back." Paul; <stunned silence...>.
Leinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 02:02 PM   #18
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
LOL. I'm no Ligget fan, but of all the criticisms that can be levelled at him, this is the funniest to English ears. Americans' insistence on mangling British place names is notorious over here.
That is perfectly fine. But I am watching the Tour in the USA not in England. NBC is broadcasting to a USA audience. I live close enough to Los Angeles where it offends my ears to hear Ligget's utter failure to even try to get it right. And, finally, Los Angeles is a Spanish name, at the very least the old coot should try to pronounce it the way it is pronounced in Spanish.

Again, using announcer Dodger announcer Vince Scully as an example of fine broadcasting He is 85 years old and has no problem whatsoever pronouncing ballplayers' names. These are ballplayers that come from all over the world, including Japan, Korea, Cuba, etc. It is just a question of being attentive to the task at hand. BTW, when I finally make the trip to the other side of the pond, I will definitely make the effort to get your names correctly pronounced.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 02:04 PM   #19
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leinster View Post
Bring back David Duffield!

Phil and Paul aren't bad. Phil's good for the occasional English eccentricism. On last year, the tour was passing a nuclear power plant, Sherwin points out "I'm not too happy about that, because they use water from the English channel to cool the reactor." Ligget pipes up; "Well I'm sure when they're done with it, they put the water back." Paul; <stunned silence...>.
Priceless!!!!
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 02:07 PM   #20
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
That is perfectly fine. But I am watching the Tour in the USA not in England. NBC is broadcasting to a USA audience. I live close enough to Los Angeles where it offends my ears to hear Ligget's utter failure to even try to get it right. And, finally, Los Angeles is a Spanish name, at the very least the old coot should try to pronounce it the way it is pronounced in Spanish.
I'm sure if Mr Ligget knew where you lived, he'd make a special effort.

Try to ditch the notion that the USA is the centre of the universe. You think NBC is the only network in the world picking up Ligget's commentary? And as for pronouncing Los Angeles in the Spanish style, let's consider American commentators' concern to pronounce Paris in the French style, or Seville in the Spanish...
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 02:18 PM   #21
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Bikes:
Posts: 9,576
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
There was an old Mad Magazine spoof on learning how to speak with a British accent, because then you could be a complete idiot and people would still believe you knew what you were talking about.
You ever watch "Arrested Development"? They did a great version of that with Mr. F.
himespau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 02:23 PM   #22
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
I'm sure if Mr Ligget knew where you lived, he'd make a special effort.

Try to ditch the notion that the USA is the centre of the universe. You think NBC is the only network in the world picking up Ligget's commentary? And as for pronouncing Los Angeles in the Spanish style, let's consider American commentators' concern to pronounce Paris in the French style, or Seville in the Spanish...
I am sure that Ligget would make the effort. He seems like a very polite and well-mannered bloke; like most British folks are. The USA iS the center of my Universe. If American commentators were broadcasting in France or Spain, I would call them out if they mispronounced Paris or Sevilla.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 02:35 PM   #23
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid
 
Zinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Spokane WA
Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
Posts: 2,519
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Whatever his many faults I'd personally still prefer him to the guys I hear from on my free feeds.
Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 02:55 PM   #24
dalameda
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't watched today's leg yet, so that totally qualifies me to make a statement without resorting to facts, but I did read an interesting article this morning bemoaning the fact that the tour hasn't taken advantage of some modern technology such as RFID tracking that would make it a lot easier to identify the cyclists. This was in reference to stage 2, where apparently race radio had the identity of the rider wrong and was thus misleading everyone who was going off of the race radio.
dalameda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 03:09 PM   #25
chewa
The Flying Scot
 
chewa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North Queensferry Scotland and London (and France)
Bikes: Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
He is just calling it from a small screen in the press tent. Nobody died.

I can choose between Eurosport or ITV4. Phil and Paul are on the latter. I like their style. Yes, they use a lot of clichés, but try to talk for a full stage without repeating yourself.

Liggett has done a huge amount for cycling, helping to popularise it the way Murray Walker did for F1.

As for pronunciation, I found that funny as a few years ago I heard Bob Roll (I think) and he kept referring to the Tour DAY France!
__________________
plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens

1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
(YES I LIKE STEEL)
2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1
chewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:34 PM.