Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-13, 08:30 AM   #26
StanSeven
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Delaware shore
Bikes: Cervelo C3, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
Posts: 11,929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Yeah the cost of producing a summary is likely prohibitive. It's not like the US audience is huge and this is a big money maker for NBC. For comparison look at this

Quote:
The United States/Great Britain men’s basketball exhibition game drew 900,000 viewers on ESPN2 Wednesday afternoon, the smallest audience of the exhibition schedule.
The Tour is averaging 400,000 viewers
StanSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 08:50 AM   #27
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity
 
bikerjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado
Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc
Posts: 3,449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like I'm being suckered into a troll thread, but since no one mentioned it check cyclingtorrents.nl. Nice eurosport highlight shows available that are long enough to cover the highlights and a the last 40k or so. If you have a DVR, however, just watch what you want.
bikerjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 09:27 AM   #28
KantoBoy
Senior Member
 
KantoBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baj32161 View Post
.....just can't please some people
no F ***** eh.

I think ITV does 1 hour summaries but I'm not sure where to find it (I went on their website and it's not working). There's old TdF videos on Youtube from ITV that are 1hr> long.

better yet, buy a DVR like what everyone's saying.

I'm just happy I can catch the NBC coverage in full HD. I had to settle for the non-HD coverage the past years.

Last edited by KantoBoy; 07-02-13 at 09:31 AM.
KantoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 09:28 AM   #29
pallen 
Descends like a rock
 
pallen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer
Posts: 4,022
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just watch the last hour - that's where all the excitement is
And with that, I better get out of here
pallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 09:57 AM   #30
rousseau
Senior Member
 
rousseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 2,621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSeven View Post
Yeah the cost of producing a summary is likely prohibitive. It's not like the US audience is huge and this is a big money maker for NBC.
Why on earth would you watch anything other than Eurosport for cycling? Who would anyone rather listen to than Carlton Kirby and Sean Kelly? Or David Harmon, who sadly isn't doing many races this year.
rousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 10:01 AM   #31
Ok86
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmat View Post
record it --FForward the boring bits,and check every 20k or so or if something happens/climbs /sprints etc ,watch the last 20-30k fully
This
Ok86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 10:04 AM   #32
CbadRider
Administrator
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 5,962
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Moved from Road to Pro.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 10:25 AM   #33
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity
 
bikerjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado
Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc
Posts: 3,449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Why on earth would you watch anything other than Eurosport for cycling? Who would anyone rather listen to than Carlton Kirby and Sean Kelly? Or David Harmon, who sadly isn't doing many races this year.
I just started watching Eurosport this year via cyclingtorrents because I no longer have broadcast TV. However, I don't get why people say the commentary is better. Phil and Paul may make mistakes but the Eurosport guys seem to babble about just as much and don't offer as much insight into things. Not saying they are worse but I really don't see them as better either - just different. Of course, hearing CK go nuts at a sprint finish is fun.
bikerjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 11:03 AM   #34
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 14,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
I just put it on and watch occasionally or look up when I hear the announcer say something interesting. One summer I was between jobs and actually watched the whole thing.

but the # and length of commercials is annoying
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 02:26 PM   #35
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid
 
Zinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Spokane WA
Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
Posts: 2,519
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjackson View Post
I appreciate the NBC network covering the entire TdF, but who the hell has time to watch it all. I am surprised there isn't a 1 to 1.5 hour summary show. That is more than plenty to hit the highlights of the day.

Yes, I know I can record it, which I am...it would just be nice to have a summary show every day.
Excellent point. I don't even have to read the rest of the thread to agree with this one. For one thing, this isn't a sport that most Americans are willing to sit through to see who wins a stage. NBC would probably do itself and the sport a favor if they did a highlights show that lasted an hour and a half or two after each stage.

Those of us who don't fall asleep watching the peloton roll down the road for hours should have other options but they aren't doing the sport any favors in this country by taking the lazy road in showing it.
Zinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 12:10 AM   #36
softreset
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerjp View Post
I feel like I'm being suckered into a troll thread, but since no one mentioned it check cyclingtorrents.nl.
Dunno, I pay monthly for Uploaded.net and Rapidgator.net for this exact reason. Never any commercials and I can watch full and complete coverage of things that I'd never be able to otherwise. Besides, I'm supporting the Swiss government and I have money with them so it's a win-win!
softreset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 03:45 AM   #37
mishmash85
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KantoBoy View Post
no F ***** eh.

I think ITV does 1 hour summaries but I'm not sure where to find it (I went on their website and it's not working). There's old TdF videos on Youtube from ITV that are 1hr> long.

better yet, buy a DVR like what everyone's saying.

I'm just happy I can catch the NBC coverage in full HD. I had to settle for the non-HD coverage the past years.
Yeah they do an hour summary, not sure if you can get it in your country but it's showed on ITV player, not sure what time it's put up online but the show is on at 7pm - 8pm (BST)
I'm not too sure what it's like as so far I've been fortunate to catch the whole race.
mishmash85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 06:39 AM   #38
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 14,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
came home from my night job last night but I missed the replay and car racing was on. sometimes I wish they played it back to back to back 24/7
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 07:41 AM   #39
SpeshulEd
Super Moderator
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 7,438
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by softreset View Post
Dunno, I pay monthly for Uploaded.net and Rapidgator.net for this exact reason. Never any commercials and I can watch full and complete coverage of things that I'd never be able to otherwise. Besides, I'm supporting the Swiss government and I have money with them so it's a win-win!
You pay money to download things uploaded to these sites by people who downloaded them from other sites for free?

A fool and his money.
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 08:31 AM   #40
softreset
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
You pay money to download things uploaded to these sites by people who downloaded them from other sites for free?

A fool and his money.
Yeah, like those silly people who pay for Cable TV, or Internet or worse... DVR. What is this, 2006?
softreset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 08:50 AM   #41
Giacomo 1 
Senior Member
 
Giacomo 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
Excellent point. I don't even have to read the rest of the thread to agree with this one. For one thing, this isn't a sport that most Americans are willing to sit through to see who wins a stage. NBC would probably do itself and the sport a favor if they did a highlights show that lasted an hour and a half or two after each stage.

Those of us who don't fall asleep watching the peloton roll down the road for hours should have other options but they aren't doing the sport any favors in this country by taking the lazy road in showing it.
Well, NASCAR can get 2-300,000 fans out at the track to watch a 4-5hr race and a huge TV audience to. My point being, a fan is a fan, and if your a fan of cycling, you watch from beginning to end, just like a NASCAR fan does.

We all complained mightily on this forum about the terrible and near non-existent cycling coverage NBC provided for us, but they have really stepped it up for the TDF, and I'm very appreciative of their efforts here to pretty much kill their regular programming to give us start-to-finish coverage and replays day and night. If I was an NBC Sports exec, I'd be pulling my hair out reading the complaints in this thread...
__________________
Colnago Super
Torelli Pista
Basso Gap
Fabio Barecci
Miyata 1400A

It never gets easier, you just go faster. ~ Greg LeMond
Giacomo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 01:53 PM   #42
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid
 
Zinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Spokane WA
Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
Posts: 2,519
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1 View Post
Well, NASCAR can get 2-300,000 fans out at the track to watch a 4-5hr race and a huge TV audience to. My point being, a fan is a fan, and if your a fan of cycling, you watch from beginning to end, just like a NASCAR fan does.

We all complained mightily on this forum about the terrible and near non-existent cycling coverage NBC provided for us, but they have really stepped it up for the TDF, and I'm very appreciative of their efforts here to pretty much kill their regular programming to give us start-to-finish coverage and replays day and night. If I was an NBC Sports exec, I'd be pulling my hair out reading the complaints in this thread...
Well you're probably right and since I haven't subscribed to their service I should probably defer. My concern was selling the sport to more than 400,000 Americans and when you look at it from their perspective the first 3 hours of a cycling road race is with commentary more akin to watching golf than a high speed Nascar auto race.

I do realize that selling a sport isn't their job though.
Zinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 02:22 PM   #43
Giacomo 1 
Senior Member
 
Giacomo 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
Well you're probably right and since I haven't subscribed to their service I should probably defer. My concern was selling the sport to more than 400,000 Americans and when you look at it from their perspective the first 3 hours of a cycling road race is with commentary more akin to watching golf than a high speed Nascar auto race.

I do realize that selling a sport isn't their job though.
I grew up with highlights of Formula 1 racing. I knew I liked it, but I didn't really understand it or get all to worked up over it either. It wasn't until Speed Channel gave us every race, along with the practice sessions, qualifying and the full race that I really began to love it and understand it. Kind of like soccer today in America. Nobody from my generation would ever sit through a full soccer game, because we didn't really see it much except during the Olympics and maybe the World Cup. Now, with more exposure, Americans are really taking to it. They get it now.

So I think the way to sell a sport is to get people to understand it - the strategies, tactics, the teams and riders, and IMHO you can only do that, if you watch the full event, the whole stage. You have to immerse yourself in it. Watching an hour re-cap is not going to make some newbie understand cycling and it's tactics or get all to excited by it.
__________________
Colnago Super
Torelli Pista
Basso Gap
Fabio Barecci
Miyata 1400A

It never gets easier, you just go faster. ~ Greg LeMond
Giacomo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 02:31 PM   #44
HardyWeinberg
GATC
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: south Puget Sound
Bikes:
Posts: 7,551
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Nice Pacific time zone bonus for tour coverage. We flip it on when we get up and can generally see the end at a time we can still leave the house w/ a relatively straight face and not too much panic about being late. Today was the 1st day of this Tour that I was late to work, but more because after the race ended I rode w/ my 8 yr old to her camp at her speed and my route to work from there was still longer than my route from home. The mountain stages will be tougher. I realize I am fortunate to have relatively slack office hours. (and they are offset by being deep in freeway traffic jams before sunrise at other times)
HardyWeinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 02:32 PM   #45
SpeshulEd
Super Moderator
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 7,438
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by softreset View Post
Yeah, like those silly people who pay for Cable TV, or Internet or worse... DVR. What is this, 2006?
Google "couch potato" (for movies) and "sickbeard" (for tv shows).

I pay for a usenet subscription once a year and everything downloads automatically. When I want to watch tv, I just hit up the jailbroken apple tv running xbmc and see what's been downloaded for me.
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 02:42 PM   #46
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid
 
Zinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Spokane WA
Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
Posts: 2,519
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1 View Post
So I think the way to sell a sport is to get people to understand it - the strategies, tactics, the teams and riders, and IMHO you can only do that, if you watch the full event, the whole stage. You have to immerse yourself in it. Watching an hour re-cap is not going to make some newbie understand cycling and it's tactics or get all to excited by it.
Well I think you could do that in a summation and they used to do an excellent job at it when covering the old Coors Classics. They even showed team pre-race strategy sessions and had cyclists explaining rules and tactics. For taking a several day stage race and condensing it down into two hours they did a remarkable job at that back then and it was a part of growing the sport into what it is now. When I first started cycling the sport wasn't even televised at all in the US. And it wasn't just Lemond and Hampsten that got it rolling from their races in Europe. Their being exposed to an American audience in an American race had a lot to do with it.
Zinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 07:34 PM   #47
CrankyFranky
Senior Member
 
CrankyFranky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Franko barada nikto
Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!
Posts: 1,105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a llllluuuuukkkkkkyyyyy man - in hog heaven with the streaming coverage - i just go to work, open a window with the stream on, put up all the other windows necessary for production, and stick my headphones on. Makes the day go crisply. Every once in a while, I have to interact with someone who needs something, but I pretty much can stand around while the action comes down. I am immensely fortunate to have toured (camping mostly) through France 4 times, so the scenery from the chopper and the repartee from Phil and co. is just sooooooo much jazz for me!
CrankyFranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:56 PM.