Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Professional Cycling For the Fans (http://www.bikeforums.net/professional-cycling-fans/)
-   -   A female grand tour???? Would it work???? I would watch it. (http://www.bikeforums.net/professional-cycling-fans/901928-female-grand-tour-would-work-i-would-watch.html)

Zinger 07-18-13 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leinster (Post 15864589)

Put the women on the same roads as the men, an hour (2 hours to be safe? Maybe with a start nearer the finish) ahead of the men, and show some of the womens highlights, including the finish, in the first hour of the 3 hours of men's race coverage, and, personally, I'd watch. The same way people watch women's tennis, and women's Track & Field at the Olympics.

That's exactly how they organized it at the Coors Classics. Guys like Mo Siegel and Michael Aisner also realized the benefits of having crits and circuit races in their stage races as being much more fan friendly to an American audience. IMO, you won't grow cycling in the US if you follow the European pattern of organizing stage races. If the same fans that watch the men's races watch the women's, it's much more likely to take off and if the spectators are up close and personal they'll not only get more to watch but they'll better identify with the competitors.

Personally I don't think that a lot of the people organizing stage racing in this country have the knack for marketing to the wider American audience.

And I never dreamed I'd be somewhat of a tennis fan until Maria Sharapova came along, lol.

gpsblake 07-18-13 02:37 PM

What would the logistics be let's say if they had the women start like 30 minutes behind the men during a grand tour on the same day? Fans would get two races to see live, the cost would be lower and I would think sponsorship cost would be much lower as all the infrastructure would already be in place. Maybe having them do all 21 stages is a stretch but let's say 7 stages. I don't think they could do the time trial the same day as the men though because it already takes many hours just to complete a men's time trial stage.

njlonghorn 07-18-13 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpsblake (Post 15864835)
What would the logistics be let's say if they had the women start like 30 minutes behind the men during a grand tour on the same day? Fans would get two races to see live.

If the women started 30 minutes later, they would finish an hour later, or more. TV networks would have little if any incentive to cover the end of the women's race.

To make it work, the women would have to start first. How much earlier they start could be determined stage by stage, so that the women would finish during a boring portion of the men's stage. In the early days of this venture, the women would be piggybacking on the television appeal of the men's race. Eventually, if things go well, the female riders would gain name recognition such that female-only races would draw TV interest.

All in all, I think this is a fantastic idea. I don't know if it will ever happen, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't worked.

ksisler 07-18-13 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpsblake (Post 15859214)
I mean a real female grand tour, 21 teams of 9 riders, riding over the same mountains..... Could be very marketable I would think.

I would want it for sure!

colombo357 07-18-13 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bats (Post 15864261)
As a woman, I've often wondered why male cycling fans prefer to watch men in spandex over women. :thumb:

A lot of pro female cyclists look like men. Slow men.

Leinster 07-18-13 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njlonghorn (Post 15866055)
If the women started 30 minutes later, they would finish an hour later, or more. TV networks would have little if any incentive to cover the end of the women's race.

To make it work, the women would have to start first. How much earlier they start could be determined stage by stage, so that the women would finish during a boring portion of the men's stage. In the early days of this venture, the women would be piggybacking on the television appeal of the men's race. Eventually, if things go well, the female riders would gain name recognition such that female-only races would draw TV interest.

All in all, I think this is a fantastic idea. I don't know if it will ever happen, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't worked.

Yup, I'd be 100% in favour of this.

It could be tried in the classics first, maybe. The women could start from Bastogne an hour or 2 after the men leave Liege, get to Liege 2 hours before the men, and have the finish of the women's race shown just after the men get over La Redoute or something.

I think this is a brilliant idea and we should put it to the Tour organisers immediately. They'll totally go for it and give us credit and everything. It'll be awesome.

gpsblake 07-18-13 11:29 PM

Here's a story the USA Today picked up on today about a women's tour
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...hange/2530107/

One of the problems of starting a women's race before the men's on the same day would be the large parade of vehicles that comes through before the race from the sponsors and others. TV doesn't show them much but from what I understand, those are a big part of the race itself and fans line up to get free stuff from them.

Zinger 07-19-13 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njlonghorn (Post 15866055)
To make it work, the women would have to start first. How much earlier they start could be determined stage by stage, so that the women would finish during a boring portion of the men's stage. In the early days of this venture, the women would be piggybacking on the television appeal of the men's race. Eventually, if things go well, the female riders would gain name recognition such that female-only races would draw TV interest.

All in all, I think this is a fantastic idea. I don't know if it will ever happen, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't worked.

The road races used to work just like that in the Coors Classics right up until they stopped organizing the mens race. Insurance costs and lack of competition for the 7-11 men's team were the reasons that the whole stage race finally folded but they never had a problem including a women's stage race and the crowds who showed up for the races always seemed to make an enthusiastic audience for the women's race.

The crits and circuit races were scheduled apart but usually on the same course with the same audience and they were covered by the media that covered the mens races at the time.....So it has worked and it could work.

I think the only reason that the TDF began to organize the Tour Cycliste Feminin was not to be out-done by the Americans in something that's supposed to be a European centric sport. Like I said though, I don't think it will happen in Europe unless it happens here first.

parkersdad 07-20-13 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bats (Post 15864261)
As a woman, I've often wondered why male cycling fans prefer to watch men in spandex over women. :thumb:

I would like to have topless bike racing!!! Smile

Caretaker 07-21-13 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkersdad (Post 15871934)
I would like to have topless bike racing!!! Smile

You've already got riders unzipping their jerseys and I saw genitalia a couple of stages ago when a moto camera picked up a rider taking a comfort break.

Not enough for you?

njlonghorn 07-21-13 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkersdad (Post 15871934)
I would like to have topless bike racing!!! Smile

The only surprising thing about this comment is that it took so long for anyone to post it. Next will come someone suggesting that the male winners get the female leaders as a prize, then it will escalate into nasty comments about the sexual orientation of elite female athletes, then the moderators will shut the thread down.

parkersdad 07-21-13 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njlonghorn (Post 15872386)
The only surprising thing about this comment is that it took so long for anyone to post it. Next will come someone suggesting that the male winners get the female leaders as a prize, then it will escalate into nasty comments about the sexual orientation of elite female athletes, then the moderators will shut the thread down.

i put smile. I was just playing around. I watch some women's sports and enjoy them. Women's college basketball would be my favorite. I made a couple of games in person last year.

bats 07-21-13 02:42 PM

Yes, I think we can all manage to keep this discussion civil and inject a little humor simultaneously. Perhaps the Piedmont deadpan doesn't translate very well on the Internette (I lived in Greensboro for five years, parkersdad).

AnthonyMcEwen 07-21-13 02:50 PM

Oh common, who doesn't want to watch fit/sexy/hot and sweaty females battling out race wins with each other, I would not miss it for the world.

AnthonyMcEwen 07-21-13 02:52 PM

And I don't mean that in a sexxist or abusive way before I offend anyone, just saying I wouldn't mind a race with a bit of eye candy, we all thought it I am just saying it, I actually am very repsectfull of women before anyeone goes and says anything like me being like that.

DLBroox 07-21-13 02:53 PM

Adding another woman's point of view, I've tried to watch women race and I don't actually enjoy it. Maybe it's that fact that I like to look at the guys. I'm a leg gal myself...or maybe it's more primal and I like to watch strong men compete. Whatever it is, I've just never enjoyed watching any women's sports as much.

Kidding aside, I love all sports and am an athlete myself. I just think there's something special about watching strong guys compete no matter what the sport. It's not the same watching women.

sci_femme 07-21-13 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLBroox (Post 15873546)
Adding another woman's point of view, I've tried to watch women race and I don't actually enjoy it.

Girls can be tough, re - 2008 Olympic women's road race, crappy road, bad air and even worse weather. But I can see your point of view perfectly. Girls in general ride conservative, smart races, not too big on showmanship. Big part of it is the lack of funds. In the crash of 2012 Olympics women's road race there was a rider on a TT frame, and they are called a**-hatchets for a reason. Obviously, it was her only machine. Watch girls fall and half the time they make last desperate effort to protect the equipment. Heartbreaking.....

JasonCarp 07-21-13 08:29 PM

You think the idiots running next to the riders in the mountain stages wouldn't be reaching in for a grope? Besides all testosterone shots do for women is grow them facial hair and an adams apple.

Zinger 07-22-13 03:24 AM

The 2013 Cascade Cycling Classic in Oregon just finished a 5 stage race for men and women. There were 79 women who finished the race. The GC podium from first to third:

Kristin McGrath (Exergy TWENTY 16)

Claudia Haeusler (Team TIBCO)

Mara Abbott (Exergy TWENTY 16)

MattFoley 07-22-13 07:48 AM

If the male riders would actually get out there and support women riders, I'd wager women's cycling (as a spectator sport) would catch on much more quickly. I know Teejay made some good comments about it at the ToC, but that's the only time I've heard a pro male rider talk about it. If the men got more involved, maybe doing some publicity rides with the women pros or whatever, it would help a lot.

MattFoley 07-22-13 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonCarp (Post 15874399)
You think the idiots running next to the riders in the mountain stages wouldn't be reaching in for a grope? Besides all testosterone shots do for women is grow them facial hair and an adams apple.

So women shouldn't get equal time because sleazy men might physically assault them...that seems fair.....

JasonCarp 07-23-13 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattFoley (Post 15875301)
So women shouldn't get equal time because sleazy men might physically assault them...that seems fair.....

Didn't say it was right... Women should get equal time if they are equally entertaining to watch and sponsors will cough up money for said entertainment.
I watch women's tennis and golf, but won't watch women's basketball for those exact reasons. I grew enamored with tennis when Martina Hingis was playing and grew to like the sport more than men's because the volleys were longer, and the product didn't look amateurish compared to the men's game. Men's game was serve, ace, serve, fault, serve ace, short volley. Attractive women like Natalie Gulbis make me want to watch women's golf. I find women's basketball akin to watching an 8th grade boys team, of which I can't stand.

If there were attractive women riding at good speeds up and down mountains, I would would watch.

Zinger 07-23-13 02:03 PM

If I want to ogle I usually go to an establishment that caters to that sort of thing. When I'm watching women compete in bike racing that's not really my priority. Boy I see some sweeties passing this old man on carbon fiber bikes on the local mup nowadays though.....Can't help but notice that :D

Bacciagalupe 07-23-13 03:01 PM

It seems that Marianne Vos and a few other riders are pushing for a women's tour. ASO is considering it, though they say it'll take more than a year to set it up.

https://www.change.org/petitions/aso...tour-de-france

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aso-...tour-de-france

Keith99 07-23-13 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonCarp (Post 15879919)
Didn't say it was right... Women should get equal time if they are equally entertaining to watch and sponsors will cough up money for said entertainment.
I watch women's tennis and golf, but won't watch women's basketball for those exact reasons. I grew enamored with tennis when Martina Hingis was playing and grew to like the sport more than men's because the volleys were longer, and the product didn't look amateurish compared to the men's game. Men's game was serve, ace, serve, fault, serve ace, short volley. Attractive women like Natalie Gulbis make me want to watch women's golf. I find women's basketball akin to watching an 8th grade boys team, of which I can't stand.

If there were attractive women riding at good speeds up and down mountains, I would would watch.

Tennis and volleyball are sports where the women's game comes off very well. The decrease in raw power makes for longer points and is a better spectator game. In lower level tournaments they may be more apt to suffer from imbalance. For the neutral spectator a slaughter is not entertaining. But that is becoming rare at the top levels.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:47 PM.