Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-21-13, 06:00 PM   #1
RFEngineer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Westminster, CO
Bikes: 2006 Trek 1200, 2015 Motobecane Turino Team
Posts: 95
Valverde's 10 minute mechanical

I didn't see what happened near the beginning of the tour where Valverde lost 10 minutes due to a broken wheel, or whatever, but I understand he had to wait for the team car to do a wheel swap. His team was all around him, why didn't someone give him their wheel or bike if he was the team captain? Is there a rule against that? Thanks!
Alan
RFEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 06:22 PM   #2
Athens80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsimons View Post
I didn't see what happened near the beginning of the tour where Valverde lost 10 minutes due to a broken wheel, or whatever, but I understand he had to wait for the team car to do a wheel swap. His team was all around him, why didn't someone give him their wheel or bike if he was the team captain? Is there a rule against that? Thanks!
Alan
He might have done better if he'd gotten a teammate's wheel or bike right away and started riding. But he didn't lose ten minutes just from waiting for the team car. They couldn't rejoin the GC group on their own because of the wind, and eventually fell back to a group behind.
Athens80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 06:24 PM   #3
RFEngineer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Westminster, CO
Bikes: 2006 Trek 1200, 2015 Motobecane Turino Team
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens80 View Post
He might have done better if he'd gotten a teammate's wheel or bike right away and started riding. But he didn't lose ten minutes just from waiting for the team car. They couldn't rejoin the GC group on their own because of the wind, and eventually fell back to a group behind.
Gotcha. That makes sense.
RFEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 06:26 PM   #4
License2Ill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 329
I thought he did take a teammate's wheel? He should've just taken the bike because the peleton was moving at a 35mph clip at that point. That's why he lost so much time, the team could never catch back up to the split peleton. That was the same day the peleton was split in two due to crosswinds after the breakaway. He only lost like 3 minutes on the fix, but they got pushed further back trying to catch back up to the front.
License2Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 06:29 PM   #5
Homebrew01
Senior Member
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
Posts: 19,432
Riding someone else's bike for any distance would suck. Then he'd need to stop again for a bike change.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike
Homebrew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 06:34 PM   #6
License2Ill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew01 View Post
Riding someone else's bike for any distance would suck. Then he'd need to stop again for a bike change.
Yeah, this is true, but he likely wouldn't have lost the group if he did that, instead being able to swap out once a team car got back to him. It wouldn't have had the same effect on time at that point.
License2Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-13, 08:48 AM   #7
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by License2Ill View Post
Yeah, this is true, but he likely wouldn't have lost the group if he did that, instead being able to swap out once a team car got back to him. It wouldn't have had the same effect on time at that point.
The problem was the cross wind. When you have a significant cross wind and echelons forming, you've got little time to react. Cavendish, who made the lead echelon, said you had 5 seconds, or you'd never make it.

Valverde had the mechanical at precisely the wrong time. Even if he got a bike in 15 seconds he wasn't making the lead echelon.

In that condition, you either make the echelon, or you're f'd.

Experienced bike racers know where on a course you have conditions for this, and are prepared to react. ( see e.g. Hincapie and Armstrong f'ng over Contador a few years ago). YOu've got to be upfront turning into a cross wind section. Valverde was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:20 AM.