Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-24-13, 01:32 AM   #51
SpeshulEd
Super Moderator
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 7,410
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
He even said he was whipped after the TdF, this is more of a recovery ride for him than anything else.

Everyone threw a fit about him doing so well in the TdF, now it seems everyone is upset that he can't keep up his performance.
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 08:35 AM   #52
Rich Gibson 
Senior Member
 
Rich Gibson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Annandale, VA
Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0
Posts: 522
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
He even said he was whipped after the TdF, this is more of a recovery ride for him than anything else.

Everyone threw a fit about him doing so well in the TdF, now it seems everyone is upset that he can't keep up his performance.
Recovery ride, my butt. How is it that Peter Sagan can compete now so soon and win (2 stages and even as a sprinter, 17th in the TT!) and T.J. and Talansky and many others? Plain and simple Froome is sandbagging. He won the big prize and as a champion he is expected to perform at that level for the season or more. I wouldn't be surprised if he also bows out of the 2014 TDF for some vague reasons. Dejavu.

Last edited by Rich Gibson; 08-24-13 at 08:40 AM.
Rich Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 09:15 AM   #53
Nerull
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 1,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As I'm sure Contador was just demonstrating his disregard for the Tour de France when he did terribly after dominating the Giro a few years back. Putting everything into a single race can't possibly have any negative effects afterward.

This forum really is bonkers. Conspiracies and ulterior motives under every rock.
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 10:53 AM   #54
SpeshulEd
Super Moderator
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 7,410
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Gibson View Post
Recovery ride, my butt. How is it that Peter Sagan can compete now so soon and win (2 stages and even as a sprinter, 17th in the TT!) and T.J. and Talansky and many others? Plain and simple Froome is sandbagging. He won the big prize and as a champion he is expected to perform at that level for the season or more. I wouldn't be surprised if he also bows out of the 2014 TDF for some vague reasons. Dejavu.
Haha, i was just saying he is treating it like a recovery ride. I'm sure if he turned it up, he could do much better. I agree with the above poster who said the Sky Team has no interest in this race. They were trying to help Dombrowski, but now that he is out, I think they're just trying to get to the end without any injuries.

Personally, I think Sagan is still aiming for the yellow jersey (keep in mind I'm still halfway through stage three, no idea what has happened the last couple of days). I like Sagan a lot, he's a beast...I feel he treats most races as a chance to show the world how flippin' awesome he is. I'm surprised he hasn't ridden a wheelie across the finish line yet.

As for TJ and Talansky, it's not like they were really leaders of the pack in the TdF. I kind of feel all the riders pick the races they gun for each season and the rest of the races are more for training than anything else.
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 08:07 PM   #55
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider
 
gpsblake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South Carolina
Bikes:
Posts: 1,889
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I knew weeks ago that Froome had no shot nor any intent of winning this race. However, him and Porte sandbagging it in the Time Trial was just sad to see, just no excuse for that. For one day, they could act like they care. Froome now 45 minutes off.

Glad to see Sagan giving the fans a great show and putting the effort in.
gpsblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-13, 04:45 PM   #56
Athens80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sandbagging

Gents: sandbagging is deceptively underperforming with the purpose of gaining an advantage later in the competition. Froome and Porte were not sandbagging in Colorado. No knowledgeable person was fooled into believing that they're actually mediocre stage racers, and they gained no advantage thereby. They did not target Colorado. They targeted races such as the Tour de France and the World Championships. You don't ride as hard as possible every race, if you want to win any.
Athens80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-13, 11:14 PM   #57
cyclezen
OM boy
 
cyclezen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Goleta CA
Bikes: a bunch
Posts: 3,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
so, was it just my directv, or was today's stage pre-empted by some auto racing, after having suffered thru 2 hrs of mostly boring and fragged video and 10 lbs of commercials in a 6 lb bag?
I mean, I'm so much of a bike racing fan that I'll watch just about ANY racing, but this was torture. I even fast-forwarded it to get past the rear end views and the inane commentary.
The 'cameo' footage of Froome abandoning was actually a hilight...
cyclezen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-13, 11:53 PM   #58
SpeshulEd
Super Moderator
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 7,410
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclezen View Post
so, was it just my directv, or was today's stage pre-empted by some auto racing, after having suffered thru 2 hrs of mostly boring and fragged video and 10 lbs of commercials in a 6 lb bag?
I mean, I'm so much of a bike racing fan that I'll watch just about ANY racing, but this was torture. I even fast-forwarded it to get past the rear end views and the inane commentary.
The 'cameo' footage of Froome abandoning was actually a hilight...
I'm still on stage 4, but yeah, I feel ya.

I really wish the commentators would talk about what is happening on-screen. Most times it's just random comments about riding a bike or bike racing. Sometimes its informative, which is nice, but I wish they talked more about what was happening on the screen and the riders - like... "this is # so and so, he won the second stage in the something-something race recently, this year he's hoping to do better in such and such." It can't be that hard, the guys have numbers pinned on. The commentators could look up the number and read the paragraph about the rider. Or at least tell me more about what the teams are doing, their strategy, etc.
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 08:19 AM   #59
canam73
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Haunchyville
Bikes:
Posts: 6,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
I'm still on stage 4, but yeah, I feel ya.

I really wish the commentators would talk about what is happening on-screen. Most times it's just random comments about riding a bike or bike racing. Sometimes its informative, which is nice, but I wish they talked more about what was happening on the screen and the riders - like... "this is # so and so, he won the second stage in the something-something race recently, this year he's hoping to do better in such and such." It can't be that hard, the guys have numbers pinned on. The commentators could look up the number and read the paragraph about the rider. Or at least tell me more about what the teams are doing, their strategy, etc.
Damned commentators are sandbagging.
canam73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 12:25 PM   #60
Rich Gibson 
Senior Member
 
Rich Gibson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Annandale, VA
Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0
Posts: 522
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens80 View Post
Gents: sandbagging is deceptively underperforming with the purpose of gaining an advantage later in the competition. Froome and Porte were not sandbagging in Colorado. No knowledgeable person was fooled into believing that they're actually mediocre stage racers, and they gained no advantage thereby. They did not target Colorado. They targeted races such as the Tour de France and the World Championships. You don't ride as hard as possible every race, if you want to win any.
Good grief! Talk about a parsing a word to make it come out to suit one's argument. Let's see, how about slacking or loafing? Froome quit after two laps of stage seven.

While I'm delighted for Sagan (my ancestry is Slovakian) if this race is going to gain any legitimacy they're going to need to end a few stages on an uphill climb. Right now it looks like its a PR-fest for each town in which the race ends.
Rich Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 12:57 PM   #61
canam73
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Haunchyville
Bikes:
Posts: 6,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Gibson View Post
Good grief! Talk about a parsing a word to make it come out to suit one's argument. Let's see, how about slacking or loafing? Froome quit after two laps of stage seven.

While I'm delighted for Sagan (my ancestry is Slovakian) if this race is going to gain any legitimacy they're going to need to end a few stages on an uphill climb. Right now it looks like its a PR-fest for each town in which the race ends.
It is. As are many of the post Tour races. Guys who still want to race up hills are doing the Vuelta. If you made the Pro Challenge hard the only foreign riders who would show up are the young guys and domestiques who were left off the Vuelta team and still want to prove something. Which would be fine by me, but to sell the advertising they need to Froome and the like to show up. The only thing that will change the nature of the race is a better calendar date or a ridiculous pay day.
canam73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 08:29 PM   #62
badhat
impressive member
 
badhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: fort collins
Bikes: c'dale supersix, jamis trilogy, spec. tricross
Posts: 2,706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam73 View Post
It is. As are many of the post Tour races. Guys who still want to race up hills are doing the Vuelta. If you made the Pro Challenge hard the only foreign riders who would show up are the young guys and domestiques who were left off the Vuelta team and still want to prove something. Which would be fine by me, but to sell the advertising they need to Froome and the like to show up. The only thing that will change the nature of the race is a better calendar date or a ridiculous pay day.

you really gotta look at the media markets and title sponsors to figure out whos showing up to race and whos just there for a paid vacation/press junket.

cannondale, BMC, and garmin care about the US for obvious reasons.

sky, argos, saxo tinkoff? not really.
badhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:07 PM.