Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-18-13, 08:29 PM   #1
Mike F
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mike F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego
Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85
Posts: 2,107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2013 USA Pro Challenge - NBCSC

This should be fun to watch. I didnt realize it was going to be televised.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...hedule/197914/
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 10:22 PM   #2
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid
 
Zinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Spokane WA
Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
Posts: 2,516
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Here are the team rosters:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/...allenge_298054
Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 10:40 PM   #3
Mike F
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mike F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego
Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85
Posts: 2,107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Its going to be nice to get a fix after the TDF
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 08:32 AM   #4
SpeshulEd
Super Moderator
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 7,169
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Too bad Quintana won't be there, that'd be sweet to see him and Froome go head to head again.

I randomly search "cycling" in our program guide at times, there was just a Nature Valley Tour or something that was on CBS Sports Network...only it was only on for an hour, just one episode. I thought the guide messed up so I ended up recording all the repeats too. It was 5 stages of racing, both men and women compressed into an hour. The repeats were really repeats. And it was hardly worth watching because all they showed was the people crossing the finish and standing on the podium.
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 09:23 AM   #5
RideNoCO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who's your pick to win?
RideNoCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 09:36 AM   #6
Chicago Al 
Senior Member
 
Chicago Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago, the leafy NW side
Bikes:
Posts: 2,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have my DVR (DirecTV) set to record 'Cycling' events, which automatically recorded the Eneco Tour recently, and the Tour of Utah, as well as some BMX and MTB racing which I don't really care about.

So I checked and it's going to record the USA PC starting this afternoon, all fine and good.

However there was a Preview show yesterday, and it didn't record that, nor is NBC SN repeating it.

And the NBC SN website shows that they're broadcasting a 'Prologue' today, Stage 1 tomorrow (Tuesday), which doesn't match the schedule at all. I suspect the 'Prologue' is a mistake...and how different would it be from the Preview, anyway? I would like to watch either as I don't know all the cyclists or teams coming into this race.

http://www.nbcsports.com/cycling/nbc...cling-schedule

Grateful to get the coverage and what sounds like a strong broadcast effort, but the communication is just a bit lacking.
__________________
I never think I have hit hard, unless it rebounds.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 08-19-13 at 09:47 AM.
Chicago Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 11:45 AM   #7
LocoCycle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Cali
Bikes: 2010 Marin Lucas Valley
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Al View Post
I have my DVR (DirecTV) set to record 'Cycling' events, which automatically recorded the Eneco Tour recently, and the Tour of Utah, as well as some BMX and MTB racing which I don't really care about.

So I checked and it's going to record the USA PC starting this afternoon, all fine and good.

However there was a Preview show yesterday, and it didn't record that, nor is NBC SN repeating it.

And the NBC SN website shows that they're broadcasting a 'Prologue' today, Stage 1 tomorrow (Tuesday), which doesn't match the schedule at all. I suspect the 'Prologue' is a mistake...and how different would it be from the Preview, anyway? I would like to watch either as I don't know all the cyclists or teams coming into this race.

http://www.nbcsports.com/cycling/nbc...cling-schedule

Grateful to get the coverage and what sounds like a strong broadcast effort, but the communication is just a bit lacking.
I taped the Preview show....you did not miss much. It was okay. They talked about all the stages and highlighted the roster and who might be factor in each one. I got my DVR set up for the whole week.

Then someone said above...to bad Quintana is not going to be there? Was that the Columbian kid that one the White Jersey in this years TDF?
LocoCycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 11:52 AM   #8
Chicago Al 
Senior Member
 
Chicago Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago, the leafy NW side
Bikes:
Posts: 2,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yeah, Quintana was 'the kid' in the white jersey in the TdF. Also the polka dot one. In his first Tour. He did okay.
__________________
I never think I have hit hard, unless it rebounds.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Chicago Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 12:27 PM   #9
GrayJay
Senior Member
 
GrayJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: EagleRiver AK
Bikes:
Posts: 1,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Free online live coverage commences today at 2pm (mountain).

http://radioshacktourtracker.usaproc...challenge.com/
GrayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 02:25 PM   #10
smahler
Senior Member
 
smahler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maryland
Bikes: Specialized Allez & Sirrus
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The gf and I have DVR set. We've really gotten into cycling (both personally and also watching the pros) and even bought the BEIN channel to watch the Giro earlier this year. I really loved Quintana's effort at the TdF - really great. I also love watching Sagan - he's always fun. Should be a good race and am glad to see a lot of the big names are coming 'across the pond' to race here in the States.
smahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 02:35 PM   #11
SpeshulEd
Super Moderator
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 7,169
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Hmm, my thought was that Quintana could be doing the Vuelta, but he's not listed for that either.

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral...3/teams-riders
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 02:50 PM   #12
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid
 
Zinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Spokane WA
Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
Posts: 2,516
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Al View Post
Yeah, Quintana was 'the kid' in the white jersey in the TdF. Also the polka dot one. In his first Tour. He did okay.
He did at that. My old Colombian favorite was Fabio Parra (Podium 3rd in '88) and looks like Quintana has already passed that accomplishment in his 1st TDF. I'd say he shows promise......

Movistar not in this one.
Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 02:56 PM   #13
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid
 
Zinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Spokane WA
Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
Posts: 2,516
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideNoCO View Post
Who's your pick to win?
I'm thinking Tejay and BMC might be up for this one.

Looks like Cannondale is setting up Sagan for today's stage. Crap I've got to go to work though.

Last edited by Zinger; 08-19-13 at 03:03 PM.
Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 03:01 PM   #14
LocoCycle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Cali
Bikes: 2010 Marin Lucas Valley
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
Free online live coverage commences today at 2pm (mountain).

http://radioshacktourtracker.usaproc...challenge.com/
THis live feed is awesome.....thanks
LocoCycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 03:28 PM   #15
RideNoCO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoCycle View Post
THis live feed is awesome.....thanks
Yeah, it's been great today!
RideNoCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 05:46 PM   #16
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider
 
gpsblake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South Carolina
Bikes:
Posts: 1,888
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideNoCO View Post
Yeah, it's been great today!
Chris Froome and Richie Porte... At least pretend you are there to compete, good grief. Dropping 5 to 6 minutes???? At least Andy Schleck made an effort today.
gpsblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 07:52 PM   #17
Mike F
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mike F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego
Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85
Posts: 2,107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsblake View Post
Chris Froome and Richie Porte... At least pretend you are there to compete, good grief. Dropping 5 to 6 minutes???? At least Andy Schleck made an effort today.
+1 Wonder if they will turn it on if Sagan wins some more stages.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 08:11 PM   #18
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid
 
Zinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Spokane WA
Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
Posts: 2,516
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsblake View Post
Chris Froome and Richie Porte... At least pretend you are there to compete, good grief. Dropping 5 to 6 minutes???? At least Andy Schleck made an effort today.
Not going to happen in this one I'll bet. They are winding down from the Tour and showcasing Dombrowski in this one. we'll see how that works out. Schleck might be another story.
Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 08:35 PM   #19
Mike F
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mike F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego
Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85
Posts: 2,107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any significance to C-Dales new kits?
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 09:20 PM   #20
supe1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Motobecane Record
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anybody know where I can get online coverage? I don't have TV and I'm not home for live feed. All I could find on Youtube was 2 minutes of the finish.
supe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 09:56 PM   #21
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid
 
Zinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Spokane WA
Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
Posts: 2,516
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supe1 View Post
Does anybody know where I can get online coverage? I don't have TV and I'm not home for live feed. All I could find on Youtube was 2 minutes of the finish.
There ya go

http://radioshacktourtracker.usaproc...challenge.com/

They have software for mobile phones too. Here's the info:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/watc...nline-for-free

Last edited by Zinger; 08-19-13 at 10:00 PM.
Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 11:47 PM   #22
SpeshulEd
Super Moderator
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 7,169
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
My mother is currently visiting from Michigan for two weeks. I hardly ever see her so it's a treat. I turned this on tonight (dvr'd it) while I was cooking dinner and she was glued to the tv. I turned it off while we ate and then watch some other tv after dinner...flipped it back on when things started quieting down and again, she was glued to the tv. She loves it! She has no idea who wins what or how the points work or what a peleton is but she's totally into watching people ride their bikes. I found it fairly amusing.
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-13, 07:43 AM   #23
LocoCycle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Cali
Bikes: 2010 Marin Lucas Valley
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
My mother is currently visiting from Michigan for two weeks. I hardly ever see her so it's a treat. I turned this on tonight (dvr'd it) while I was cooking dinner and she was glued to the tv. I turned it off while we ate and then watch some other tv after dinner...flipped it back on when things started quieting down and again, she was glued to the tv. She loves it! She has no idea who wins what or how the points work or what a peleton is but she's totally into watching people ride their bikes. I found it fairly amusing.
Good stuff......last month I spent some time with my Father. And we watched quite a bit of the TDF. I just started watching Pro Racing last year...with the Pro Challenge. So as we were watching the TDF...my father said " this guy Peleton....he has to be like the best racer ever. The announcers are always talking about him etc." I explained to him what the Peleton was....man we laughed.....great inside joke now. I called him the other day and told him that his favorite ride "Peleton" was racing in the USA Pro Challenge.
LocoCycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-13, 08:10 AM   #24
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget
 
Bacciagalupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsblake View Post
Chris Froome and Richie Porte... At least pretend you are there to compete, good grief.
Why bother?

They're still recovering from the Tour, and didn't spend the extra week to acclimatize to the elevation.

They also don't care that much about winning a race in Colorado, whereas US teams (e.g. Garmin, RS) are more motivated.


Quote:
At least Andy Schleck made an effort today.
Andy is also mostly just trying to get into shape, he's said his main goal is (iirc) Lombardia.

This is all perfectly normal for bicycle races. The big guns use smaller races to tune their fitness. This also gives other riders on those teams a chance to strut their stuff and/or build experience.
Bacciagalupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-13, 08:13 AM   #25
SpeshulEd
Super Moderator
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 7,169
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoCycle View Post
Good stuff......last month I spent some time with my Father. And we watched quite a bit of the TDF. I just started watching Pro Racing last year...with the Pro Challenge. So as we were watching the TDF...my father said " this guy Peleton....he has to be like the best racer ever. The announcers are always talking about him etc." I explained to him what the Peleton was....man we laughed.....great inside joke now. I called him the other day and told him that his favorite ride "Peleton" was racing in the USA Pro Challenge.
Nice! My mom kept cheering for the guys in the break away, "they're going to win, they led the race for so long." I kept telling her that hardly ever happens. Then all of a sudden I hear her shout, "oh my gosh, they caught up!" She's 71 and has been fairly sheltered her whole life. It's funny when she comes out of her shell. I got her to try sushi and green tea ice cream last week for the first time as well. She loved them.
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:52 AM.