Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-29-13, 01:20 PM   #1
vvup
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: france
Bikes: 60cm center to top, sometimes 57 center to top
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tony Martin, stage 6 - Vuelta.

Did you see that?
vvup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 01:45 PM   #2
canam73
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Haunchyville
Bikes:
Posts: 6,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nope, read it on the ticker. Still had my heart rate up.
canam73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 02:25 PM   #3
vvup
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: france
Bikes: 60cm center to top, sometimes 57 center to top
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam73 View Post
Nope, read it on the ticker. Still had my heart rate up.
Such an epic ride. I can't relate to time trials with all that expensive area bits and long walm ups. But this was road cycling, on a road bike. The most epic solo ride I have ever seen.
vvup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 02:59 PM   #4
TommyBing
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Auzeville-Tolosane, Midi-Pyrénées
Bikes: Redline Carbon Conquest Team, Colnago X-Lite (Wrecked, Stripped, Wal-Arted), Ibis Hakkalugi (STOLEN!!!), Bianchi Imola, Bianchi San Jose, Soma DC DC
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I watched that all morning here. Transfixed.

How Markov had the audacity to act like he did ANYTHING!!!! He just won a bike race. Everyone will forget the stage winner except his parents. Stayed covered and probably just spun 220 watts all day, did his little trackboy thing in the last 1km and caught the KING OF MEN.

Heil Tony Martin.
TommyBing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 03:32 PM   #5
GrayJay
Senior Member
 
GrayJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: EagleRiver AK
Bikes:
Posts: 1,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Martin likely would have survived to the line if Cancellara had not put in his final dig to close the gap. Odd thing though was that Cancellara was not leading out an RS teammate and didnt really have much chance of winning for himself with a line of the other teams sprinters in his draft, seems like it was a bit of a spoiler move.
GrayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 03:48 PM   #6
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic
 
Ken Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Bikes: Cannondale T800
Posts: 1,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Amazing performance by Martin. I have seen other races where a breakaway is caught on the line, but never a solo breakaway.
Ken Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-13, 01:50 AM   #7
totalnewbie
Senior Member
 
totalnewbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: taiwan
Bikes: Giant Defy Comp3
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what a heartbreaker to be caught out of gas at the last 20 meters. 20 meters... may be less.

can anyone educate me on a couple:

1. at the last stretch, martin's cadence is dropping rapidly. if he had switched to a lower gear, could he have maintained the speed? or are the legs so tired that they can't spin fast even on the granny gear?

2. he held the same 9 seconds lead at 5km until under 1km. typically at other chase i have seen, that time dropped at a steady pace, like 1 sec for every 100m for example. wonder if the peloton simply held back from 5km to 1km to deliver a cruel blow to martin. could they have overtaken martin, say, at 3km if they tried?
totalnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-13, 05:44 AM   #8
canam73
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Haunchyville
Bikes:
Posts: 6,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalnewbie View Post
what a heartbreaker to be caught out of gas at the last 20 meters. 20 meters... may be less.

can anyone educate me on a couple:

1. at the last stretch, martin's cadence is dropping rapidly. if he had switched to a lower gear, could he have maintained the speed? or are the legs so tired that they can't spin fast even on the granny gear?

2. he held the same 9 seconds lead at 5km until under 1km. typically at other chase i have seen, that time dropped at a steady pace, like 1 sec for every 100m for example. wonder if the peloton simply held back from 5km to 1km to deliver a cruel blow to martin. could they have overtaken martin, say, at 3km if they tried?
1. Only Martin know's for sure, but he is among the top time trialists in the world. I'd guess he knows himself well enough to choose the most efficient gear.

2. At that point one of the teams probably could have taken the lead and dragged the peloton up to Martin, but then they would have blown themselves for a final sprint lead out. So they let him him dangle while the sprint teams get organized for the final charge. I do think in this case they under-estimated Martin a bit but for the top guys in the stage it didn't matter.
canam73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-13, 06:47 AM   #9
thechemist
In the Pain Cave
 
thechemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Bikes:
Posts: 1,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBing View Post
I watched that all morning here. Transfixed.

How Markov had the audacity to act like he did ANYTHING!!!! He just won a bike race. Everyone will forget the stage winner except his parents. Stayed covered and probably just spun 220 watts all day, did his little trackboy thing in the last 1km and caught the KING OF MEN.

Heil Tony Martin.
Markov still deserves the win. No need to lambast the guy because Tony Martin didn't quite win it. It still takes A LOT of effort to organize a leadout and pull through for the win in those last kms.
thechemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-13, 07:41 AM   #10
TommyBing
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Auzeville-Tolosane, Midi-Pyrénées
Bikes: Redline Carbon Conquest Team, Colnago X-Lite (Wrecked, Stripped, Wal-Arted), Ibis Hakkalugi (STOLEN!!!), Bianchi Imola, Bianchi San Jose, Soma DC DC
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see you're more a fan of the practical. There's nothing more boring than tactical bike racing, spinning with a heart rate of 140, using just enough bike handling to make sure everyone else gets the wind besides you. It's easy to find the watts late when you haven't done anything all day. In fact, I don't recall Markov's name ever coming up yesterday, ever. It was a tactical, boring, professional win of a bike race that had exactly one interesting participant. But you're a research lawyer, or an actuary, or a budget analyst, so the tedious, calculated precision with which Markov won really spoke to you.

And history will easily forget this win, too. This stage will always be "Do you remember when Martin road 100 miles by himself until "they" caught him on the line?"

He didn't organize any leadout. He followed Cancellara's wheel because he was as fresh as a daisy.

Yesterday was just a NASCAR race where the losers caught the faster car that ran out of gas.
TommyBing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-13, 02:07 PM   #11
vvup
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: france
Bikes: 60cm center to top, sometimes 57 center to top
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Todays stage 7 a late break got away. The Vueta is a climbers tour, and the big time sprinters have not turned up and nor have their entourage. The peloton is not working in the way we are used to seeing in the Tour de France.

Also did anyone watch the 'world ports classic' day 1, the breakway took a short cut gainning 3 minutes and ended up winning. No race radios, confusion in the bunch, quiet funny.
vvup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-13, 03:46 PM   #12
GrayJay
Senior Member
 
GrayJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: EagleRiver AK
Bikes:
Posts: 1,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Seems to me that the participating Vuelta teams did not bring along the top-tier flat stage sprinters this year. Cav, Greipel, Goss, Sagan, Kittel are all sitting out from the Vuelta. Without a top-tier sprinter, few of the teams are as commited to a race day strategy that sacrifices most of the teammates in support of a mediocre sprinter that has low odds of a win. The sprinters and leadout trains also just seem much less organized than the well-drilled final 5km efforts that were displayed at Giro and TDF.
GrayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-13, 05:00 PM   #13
Keith99
Senior Member
 
Keith99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBing View Post
I see you're more a fan of the practical. There's nothing more boring than tactical bike racing, spinning with a heart rate of 140, using just enough bike handling to make sure everyone else gets the wind besides you. It's easy to find the watts late when you haven't done anything all day. In fact, I don't recall Markov's name ever coming up yesterday, ever. It was a tactical, boring, professional win of a bike race that had exactly one interesting participant. But you're a research lawyer, or an actuary, or a budget analyst, so the tedious, calculated precision with which Markov won really spoke to you.

And history will easily forget this win, too. This stage will always be "Do you remember when Martin road 100 miles by himself until "they" caught him on the line?"

He didn't organize any leadout. He followed Cancellara's wheel because he was as fresh as a daisy.

Yesterday was just a NASCAR race where the losers caught the faster car that ran out of gas.
Dream on. What Martin did will be forgotten in 10 years. All that will remain is the line in the record books saying Markov won the stage.

I'd give an example, but I can't think of one. Even I forget guys who try and gain nothing.
Keith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-13, 01:48 PM   #14
mr,grumpy 
Senior Member
 
mr,grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boston Burbs
Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento, 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e
Posts: 780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBing View Post
I watched that all morning here. Transfixed.

How Markov had the audacity to act like he did ANYTHING!!!! He just won a bike race. Everyone will forget the stage winner except his parents. Stayed covered and probably just spun 220 watts all day, did his little trackboy thing in the last 1km and caught the KING OF MEN.

Heil Tony Martin.
+1.
I was acualy pissed.

Some one else made a good point though that is was Cancellara who really spoiled it, Markov just happened to be behind him when he got spat out the front.
__________________
"I'm built like a marine mammal. I love the cold! "-Cosmoline
"MTBing is cheap compared to any motorsport I've done. It's very expensive compared to jogging."-ColinL
Rides:
1999-ish Diamondback Sorrento (I'm not Dead Yet! I feal happy. I think I'll go for a walk!)
1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2007 Gary Fisher Advance (giving the Sorrento a break)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing)
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)


My little bike blog.
mr,grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-13, 07:30 AM   #15
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Bikes:
Posts: 6,853
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith99 View Post
Dream on. What Martin did will be forgotten in 10 years. All that will remain is the line in the record books saying Markov won the stage.
Agreed, although Markov will probably not be remembered at all; where Martin will be remembered as a winner of some great races, and some great efforts that almost worked... like Fignon... and Cancellara... and probably Horner.
DiabloScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:08 PM.