Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Professional Cycling For the Fans (http://www.bikeforums.net/professional-cycling-fans/)
-   -   Vuelta surprises (spoilers) (http://www.bikeforums.net/professional-cycling-fans/910432-vuelta-surprises-spoilers.html)

Caretaker 09-13-13 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpsblake (Post 16062093)
Chris Horner - 42 years old and just reaching his peak.

Not quite, he's 41. Not 42 till October 23rd.

cyclezen 09-13-13 10:37 PM

love that cap/hat that Rodriguez received on the podium, for his stage 19 win
anyone know what this is? assume it's some 'regional' thing, would luv to learn more about it.

EDIT: just found some 'power' charts for Horner on the SRM site - stage 10
http://www.srm.de/news/road-cycling/...pana-stage-10/

and if you back out slowly, there are more charts for other riders in other stages/races - like Valverde in the TDF...

michaelsheller 09-13-13 11:23 PM

so, has anyone else noticed that horner is poised to win the red, white and, if he has a really good day, blue jerseys?? i was going to drink cava to celebrate, but now budweiser seems more appropriate...

Caretaker 09-14-13 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelsheller (Post 16064147)
so, has anyone else noticed that horner is poised to win the red, white and, if he has a really good day, blue jerseys?? i was going to drink cava to celebrate, but now budweiser seems more appropriate...

Fine vintage champagne would be more appropriate. Might I suggest the 1990.

Blue Belly 09-14-13 03:11 AM

Horner looks super thin. Probably the form of his life. He let Rodriguez go yesterday, by choice. The stage today is brutal. Only time will tell who will crack. I'd put my wildcard on Rodriguez to try to win today @ an attempt to take the race. I'd like to see Chris cap his career with a grand tour win. Will be exciting to watch it happen today.

bikerjp 09-14-13 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 16059254)
(You know, it's funny to me that there seem to be only a handful of us on BF following the Vuelta closely. Or at least following it enough to post and discuss. Sure, I know it's not the TdF, but I find the Vuelta much more interesting to follow. In the Tour, you know that the peloton is going to rule and that the breakaway will almost never succeed, but in the Vuelta, the breakaway sometimes survives. And the Vuelta has more exciting hilltop finishes. To me, this beats watching the coronation of Froome or Wiggins in the Tour- though I admit that watching Froome is pretty exciting.)

The Vuelta was the best GT last year and is proving to be so again this year (didn't watch before that). It's too bad the TdF gets all the best riders and then many don't show for the Vuelta. Of course, maybe that's why it's so much fun. Sky made last year's TdF almost not worth watching and nearly did the same this year but I like Froome better than Wigo. Anyone know why Contador isn't defending this year? I know he said he's focused on worlds but is he really a serious contender (I'm sure he'll be in the top 10 but not sure he can win) and not to defend seems like maybe there is another reason.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeshulEd (Post 16060467)
I've said it before and I'll say it again, cyclingtorrents.nl - I've watched almost every major race since the giro this year in HD and most times the commercials are removed.

CT rocks. I canceled my tv service and gave my money to them. Download in HD every day although Kriby is only slightly less annoying than the duo they had on universal sports last year.

ahsposo 09-14-13 09:41 AM

Come on Horner!

ahsposo 09-14-13 09:45 AM

Yeah! Horner's gonna win the Vuelta!

Caretaker 09-14-13 10:02 AM

Nibali kept fighting like a true champion. Congratulations to Horner in anticipation of the victory parade tomorrow.

Bravo to Kenny Elissonde for the stage win, lovely to see his emotion crossing the line.

It's been a great Vuelta.

jyl 09-14-13 11:14 AM

All four of the GC leaders did themselves proud in this race.

Caretaker 09-14-13 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jyl (Post 16065134)
All four of the GC leaders did themselves proud in this race.

Everybody who completed that stage did themselves proud.

Roche in fifth seemed to be comfortable till about half way up and he started looking for his team mate. They came in together on their own so I presume that team mate helped save his GC place with a comfortable 49 second cushion going into the final day.

Blue Belly 09-14-13 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caretaker (Post 16064908)
Nibali kept fighting like a true champion. Congratulations to Horner in anticipation of the victory parade tomorrow.

Bravo to Kenny Elissonde for the stage win, lovely to see his emotion crossing the line.

It's been a great Vuelta.

A true champion would have waited at least a couple more K, knowing that he would likely blow before he hit the line. I'm glad he took the race to Horner but, that was hardly a good place to do it. Nibbles was doomed when he jumped before 6k. Especially knowing Horner's form. It was a great stage/climb to watch, regardless. Maybe one of the best of the year, knowing what was at stake.

Caretaker 09-14-13 01:03 PM

I think you have to give Nibali/Astana credit for trying something different rather than following the script of stages 18 & 19. It didn't work but then neither did the old one.

He could have just defended his second place but didn't.

MinnMan 09-14-13 01:06 PM

It's a pity that the spectators were in so close - it seemed to interfere with the riders and it definitely interfered with the television coverage.

TallRider 09-14-13 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerjp (Post 16064756)
The Vuelta was the best GT last year and is proving to be so again this year (didn't watch before that). It's too bad the TdF gets all the best riders and then many don't show for the Vuelta. Of course, maybe that's why it's so much fun. Sky made last year's TdF almost not worth watching and nearly did the same this year but I like Froome better than Wigo. Anyone know why Contador isn't defending this year? I know he said he's focused on worlds but is he really a serious contender (I'm sure he'll be in the top 10 but not sure he can win) and not to defend seems like maybe there is another reason.

It's a matter of prestige and in-season timing. People will plan their seasons around the Tour, and some people around the Giro. Very few people target the Vuelta as their #1 priority, and a lot of people use it as a tuneup for the World Championships. So the race typically has people who are aiming for a second "peak" of form for the season (after riding the Tour or the Giro).

Last year Contador targeted the Vuelta because it came right after his suspension ended. This year he is knackered from the Tour and trying to round out his form before Worlds without overly fatiguing himself.
Horner is perfectly peaked for the Vuelta because of his early-season injury and knee surgery; otherwise he would have targeted the Tour as well.

But it does seem that this second-tier race status makes for a more exciting race.

Caretaker 09-14-13 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 16065390)
It's a pity that the spectators were in so close - it seemed to interfere with the riders and it definitely interfered with the television coverage.

From what I could judge one of the motos stalled on a steep corner and they lost coverage of the Horner/Nibali group for about two minutes. The spectators are what they are and most from what I saw were urging on the riders. Don't like the ones who look at the cameras (their own or the TV ones) and the guy I saw giving Elissonde a push.

You're going to get scenes like that on big mountaintop finishes and for me that's what makes cycling different.

MinnMan 09-14-13 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TallRider (Post 16065403)
It's a matter of prestige and in-season timing. People will plan their seasons around the Tour, and some people around the Giro. Very few people target the Vuelta as their #1 priority, and a lot of people use it as a tuneup for the World Championships. So the race typically has people who are aiming for a second "peak" of form for the season (after riding the Tour or the Giro).

Last year Contador targeted the Vuelta because it came right after his suspension ended. This year he is knackered from the Tour and trying to round out his form before Worlds without overly fatiguing himself.
Horner is perfectly peaked for the Vuelta because of his early-season injury and knee surgery; otherwise he would have targeted the Tour as well.

But it does seem that this second-tier race status makes for a more exciting race.

I don't think of the Vuelta as being second-tier, really. Neither the Giro nor the Vuelta have the prestige of the TdF- the Tour is the only race that non-enthusiasts know about. But in the cycling world, I think of the Giro and Vuelta as being about equal.

The Vuelta favors climbers, and also, not surprisingly, the spaniards hold it a little more dear, so some riders focus on it more than the Giro, for example.

TallRider 09-14-13 03:11 PM

The tier of grand-tour prestige is clearly (1) Tour (2) Giro (3) Vuelta.

Can you name any big-name rider in recent years who has made the Vuelta the primary goal of his season? (apart from injury issues, like Horner, or return-from-suspension, like Contador last year). I can't think of anyone. This is partly b/c the Vuelta occurs so late in the season, but nevertheless the fact remains that some top riders make the Giro the focus of their season (e.g., Nibali this year, and Wiggins although it kinda doesn't count because he was just trying to avoid overlapping with Froome).

Caretaker 09-14-13 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TallRider (Post 16065622)
The tier of grand-tour prestige is clearly (1) Tour (2) Giro (3) Vuelta.

Can you name any big-name rider in recent years who has made the Vuelta the primary goal of his season? (apart from injury issues, like Horner, or return-from-suspension, like Contador last year). I can't think of anyone. This is partly b/c the Vuelta occurs so late in the season, but nevertheless the fact remains that some top riders make the Giro the focus of their season (e.g., Nibali this year, and Wiggins although it kinda doesn't count because he was just trying to avoid overlapping with Froome).

Well you seem to imply that Horner was a 'big name rider' so I'd suggest Nicholas Roche. He was a support rider in the Tour but in the Vuelta he's the team leader so I'd say doing well in the Vuelta is his primary goal this season. A stage win and finishing fifth in GC should be considered as reasonably successful.

TallRider 09-14-13 04:35 PM

My point above was simply that the Vuelta is the least prestigious of the three grand tours. I don't mean that it's irrelevant; simply that it is on a lower rung than the Giro (and clearly lower than the Tour as well).

Nicholas Roche is a second-tier grand tour rider. A very good rider but not someone who could threaten for the Tour de France. He is the type of rider that is most commonly seen targeting the Vuelta.
Horner is a special case because he is targeting the Vuelta as a result of injury. Were it not for his knee surgery, he would have ridden the Tour.

Caretaker 09-14-13 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TallRider (Post 16065782)
My point above was simply that the Vuelta is the least prestigious of the three grand tours. I don't mean that it's irrelevant; simply that it is on a lower rung than the Giro (and clearly lower than the Tour as well).

Nicholas Roche is a second-tier grand tour rider. A very good rider but not someone who could threaten for the Tour de France. He is the type of rider that is most commonly seen targeting the Vuelta.
Horner is a special case because he is targeting the Vuelta as a result of injury. Were it not for his knee surgery, he would have ridden the Tour.

You're right it is the least prestigious but it's still a GT.

You're also right about Roche but prior to this Vuelta Horner would have been described as second tier also, so him being a 'special case' is irrelevant to your argument.

To win any Grand Tour is an amazing achievement for a rider.

jyl 09-14-13 05:25 PM

Cool quote from Horner, about the celebration in Madrid


“I am too old to party!” he said. “The only place I feel good is when I am on the bike. You’re never really comfortable until you’re into that first hour of the bike. The bike is the zen.”

TallRider 09-14-13 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caretaker (Post 16065843)
You're right it is the least prestigious but it's still a GT.
You're also right about Roche but prior to this Vuelta Horner would have been described as second tier also, so him being a 'special case' is irrelevant to your argument.
To win any Grand Tour is an amazing achievement for a rider.

Agreed on all counts

jyl 09-14-13 06:51 PM

Pre-race interview with Horner. Lots of detail about his training, form, plans. He was very confident.

http://universalsports.com/video/201...ner-interview/

bikerjp 09-14-13 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TallRider (Post 16065622)
The tier of grand-tour prestige is clearly (1) Tour (2) Giro (3) Vuelta.

It may lack prestige, but I'm definitely enjoying the Vuelta the most. I wish the Tour would use time bonuses too. I think it adds a bit more excitement when you can't just sit in the pack and control the whole thing.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:57 PM.