Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

View Poll Results: Vuelta Stage 20: On which climb will Horner make his move on the red jersey?
Climb 1: Alto de la Cabruana 0 0%
Climb 2: Alto de Tenebredo 0 0%
Climb 3: Alto del Cordal 1 7.14%
Climb 4: Alto de l'Angliru 11 78.57%
Neither... he will wait for Nibali to blow a gasket. 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-12-13, 07:07 PM   #1
xfimpg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xfimpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,089
Vuelta Stage 20: On which climb will Horner make his move on the red jersey?

Vuelta Stage 20: On which climb will Horner make his move on the red jersey?
xfimpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-13, 08:19 PM   #2
MinnMan
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Bikes: 2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
Posts: 1,989
He'll go for whatever opportunity he finds - if he has the opportunity, he'll attack on either. Nibali has faded on these final climbs several times now.
MinnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-13, 08:35 PM   #3
bruin11 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Bikes: Lynskey Helix, Serotta Fierta IT, Torelli, Raleigh Carbon Revenio 3.0
Posts: 355
He won't attack until the final climb. Kind of crazy to try a long distance attack before then.
__________________
bruin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-13, 08:44 PM   #4
jyl
Senior Member
 
jyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland OR
Bikes: 61 Bianchi Specialissima 71 Peugeot G50 7? P'geot PX10 74 Raleigh GranSport 75 P'geot UO8 78? Raleigh Team Pro 82 P'geot PSV 86 P'geot PX 91 Bridgestone MB0 92 B'stone XO1 97 Rans VRex 92 Cannondale R1000 94 B'stone MB5 97 Vitus 997
Posts: 6,912
He will have his team burn their matches in climbs 1-3, so that the GC group arrives at climb 4 as tired as possible. I think that is what they did in today's stage.

I worry, though, how Horner copes with the super steep grades, like >20%. I vaguely recall reading where someone, maybe he himself, said those weren't his strong suit. I know earlier in the race he mentioned having a hard time following the initial accelerations by Purito and Valverde. I wonder if he and his team haven't learned that they have to do as much damage to everyone's legs as possible before the final climb, to weaken those accelerations. Horner's weapon seems to be not a sudden sharp acceleration, but the ability to steadily push the pace and hold it high. Admittedly I haven't been able to watch all the stages, maybe I've missed his 0-60 moves.
jyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-13, 03:52 AM   #5
Caretaker
Heretic
 
Caretaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3
Posts: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post
He will have his team burn their matches in climbs 1-3, so that the GC group arrives at climb 4 as tired as possible. I think that is what they did in today's stage.

I worry, though, how Horner copes with the super steep grades, like >20%. I vaguely recall reading where someone, maybe he himself, said those weren't his strong suit. I know earlier in the race he mentioned having a hard time following the initial accelerations by Purito and Valverde. I wonder if he and his team haven't learned that they have to do as much damage to everyone's legs as possible before the final climb, to weaken those accelerations. Horner's weapon seems to be not a sudden sharp acceleration, but the ability to steadily push the pace and hold it high. Admittedly I haven't been able to watch all the stages, maybe I've missed his 0-60 moves.
18, 19, 20, 21% didn't seem to cause him any problems on the final kms. of stage 18 where he crossed the line 25 seconds ahead of Nibali. All these seconds were gained over the toughest gradients.

Horner may not have to make a move on stage 20. If he has a lead of 20 seconds after stage 19 he will be able to just shadow Nibali.

Last edited by Caretaker; 09-13-13 at 04:16 AM.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-13, 07:33 AM   #6
TallRider
me have long head tube
 
TallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 4,106
Horner doesn't have the sprint gear on super-steep climbs, but he has a higher sustained gear. And the Angrilu is plenty long for sustained to beat out sprint punch.

Horner won't attack until the final climb. It would be stupid to attack earlier, because Nibali is one of the best descenders in the peloton, and Horner is not. Plus an earlier attack would be risky, and Horner is very close to the lead and doesn't need to take risks because he's been climbing better than everyone else including Nibali.

He may have his team keep the pace high on the earlier climbs, as jyl points out, so that the riders arrive at the Angrilu already tired.

But as caretaker says, Horner may (perhaps probably) be already in the lead after stage 19. He wouldn't need to attack, but he still might raise the pace toward the end of the Angrilu and gain more time.
TallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-13, 08:39 PM   #7
xfimpg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xfimpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRider View Post
But as caretaker says, Horner may (perhaps probably) be already in the lead after stage 19. He wouldn't need to attack, but he still might raise the pace toward the end of the Angrilu and gain more time.
I think Horner will need to attack on the Angliru to get more time between himself and Nibali because Nibali has the ability to outsprint him - think of the that last couple of Kms, so 3 seconds won't be enough.

Either way, it's going to be gangbusters!
xfimpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-13, 09:02 PM   #8
MinnMan
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Bikes: 2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
Posts: 1,989
If they are still within seconds of each other, could there be any actual racing during stage 20?
MinnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-13, 10:33 PM   #9
TallRider
me have long head tube
 
TallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 4,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
I think Horner will need to attack on the Angliru to get more time between himself and Nibali because Nibali has the ability to outsprint him - think of the that last couple of Kms, so 3 seconds won't be enough.
Either way, it's going to be gangbusters!
I'm looking forward to seeing the stage, but Horner will probably make more time on Nibali without having to really attack.
TallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 12:27 AM   #10
colombo357
Senior Member
 
colombo357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
I think Horner will need to attack on the Angliru to get more time between himself and Nibali because Nibali has the ability to outsprint him - think of the that last couple of Kms, so 3 seconds won't be enough.
Doesn't matter. Nibali doesn't have the ability to separate himself from the peloton, and the peleton will come in with the same time. 3 seconds is enough.
colombo357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 02:58 AM   #11
Caretaker
Heretic
 
Caretaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3
Posts: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombo357 View Post
Doesn't matter. Nibali doesn't have the ability to separate himself from the peloton, and the peleton will come in with the same time. 3 seconds is enough.
The peloton will fracture on the final climb. Three seconds isn't enough today. It might be tomorrow.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 06:48 AM   #12
xfimpg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xfimpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombo357 View Post
Doesn't matter. Nibali doesn't have the ability to separate himself from the peloton, and the peleton will come in with the same time. 3 seconds is enough.
.
It does matter. 3 seconds isn't enough to cover a mechanical breakdown.
xfimpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 01:09 PM   #13
TallRider
me have long head tube
 
TallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 4,106
the stage panned out as I expected, with Nibali bravely trying to make time, Horner patiently riding his pace and knowing he has better legs, and eventually riding away from Nibali. Chapeau!
TallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 02:02 PM   #14
xfimpg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xfimpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,089
Did you see the look on Fulsang's face when Nibali decided to attack Horner in the last few Kms? It was like "Hey man, did I ride all the way up here for nothing???"
xfimpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:18 PM.