Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 133

Thread: Horner

  1. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    837
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thechemist View Post
    Its going to be a rough few years for GT jersey winners with LA at el. I just wish we could get past this. Why do we have 7+ articles from Velo, cyclingnews stipulating did these guys dope? Innocent until proven guilty, its just a bummer that these guys can't embrace such a win without being riddled with questions.
    A 41 year old winning his first Grand Tour by riding away from the likes of Purito and Valverde up the steepest mountains in Spain would draw questions no matter what era it happened in. Throw in all the Lance stuff and the hotel screw-up, and there looks to be some smoke blowing around and lots of people looking for a fire.

  2. #27
    Senior Member roadwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Galt Gulch
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Super Six High Mod, Evo, Sram Red, CAAD9 Rival
    Posts
    9,929
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caretaker View Post
    Everyone seems to be blaming the Spanish testing agency for the leak but it could have been some hotel employee or a journalist hanging round it hoping for an interview.
    Had they checked ADAMS, they would not have gone to the wrong hotel. I think that's the point.
    Last edited by roadwarrior; 09-17-13 at 10:59 AM.
    "Nothing is so typical of middling minds than to harp on the intellectual deficiencies of the slightly less smart, but considerably more successful."
    Bret Stephens, WSJ

  3. #28
    Pseudo Retro Grouch bici_mania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Not In Texas
    My Bikes
    Olmo San Remo
    Posts
    443
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leinster View Post
    A 41 year old winning his first Grand Tour by riding away from the likes of Purito and Valverde up the steepest mountains in Spain would draw questions no matter what era it happened in. Throw in all the Lance stuff and the hotel screw-up, and there looks to be some smoke blowing around and lots of people looking for a fire.
    +1

    A 41 year old that was part of the LA dynasty.

    I love watching pro cycling, I admire what these athletes do and have some understanding of what it takes. But it is going to take a few years without major doping scandals before I see a rider in the top 20 of any race and be confident they are not doping. Much more so for one my age winning a grand tour.
    Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. - Charles M. Schulz

  4. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    2,947
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bici_mania View Post
    A 41 year old that was part of the LA dynasty.
    Horner rode on the same team as Armstrong. To claim 2009-2011 was part of the Armstrong Dynasty is a real stretch.

  5. #30
    Heretic Caretaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3
    Posts
    1,246
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    Had they checked ADAMS, they would not have gone to the wrong hotel. I think that's the point.
    Have they access to his ADAMS data? It was my understanding that they were acting on information supplied by USADA.

    The point is also about the fact this appeared in the media before the mistake was discovered.
    Last edited by Caretaker; 09-17-13 at 02:37 PM.
    History is the future

  6. #31
    lead on macduff!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    south park-san diego, ca
    My Bikes
    2002 Coppi KSC Plane-1986 Masi 3Volumetrica-1985 Pinarello Treviso
    Posts
    1,792
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    arguably the greatest american roadie ever given his absolute domestic dominance and later european success-riding much of it as a super-domestique.

    people will argue armstrong (maybe not anymore) or lemond but greg's pro career was shorter. granted, he does have 3 tdf's and a few wc's.
    i'd rather be alive wrong than dead right

  7. #32
    Senior Member MinnMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis
    My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Posts
    1,630
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leinster View Post
    A 41 year old winning his first Grand Tour by riding away from the likes of Purito and Valverde up the steepest mountains in Spain would draw questions no matter what era it happened in. Throw in all the Lance stuff and the hotel screw-up, and there looks to be some smoke blowing around and lots of people looking for a fire.
    +1. I truly hope he's clean, but watching him stand on his pedals seemingly indefinitely as he climbed away, you couldn't help but think that this is what they all looked like back in the day when they were doped to the gills.

  8. #33
    Senior Member roadwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Galt Gulch
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Super Six High Mod, Evo, Sram Red, CAAD9 Rival
    Posts
    9,929
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caretaker View Post
    Have they access to his ADAMS data? It was my understanding that they were acting on information supplied by USADA.

    The point is also about the fact this appeared in the media before the mistake was discovered.
    Yes, they would have access. It is actually administered by WADA. It is in twelve languages. And I totally agree with your last sentence. Which is why there will probably be a punitive lawsuit filed.
    "Nothing is so typical of middling minds than to harp on the intellectual deficiencies of the slightly less smart, but considerably more successful."
    Bret Stephens, WSJ

  9. #34
    Senior Member roadwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Galt Gulch
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Super Six High Mod, Evo, Sram Red, CAAD9 Rival
    Posts
    9,929
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leinster View Post
    A 41 year old winning his first Grand Tour by riding away from the likes of Purito and Valverde up the steepest mountains in Spain would draw questions no matter what era it happened in. Throw in all the Lance stuff and the hotel screw-up, and there looks to be some smoke blowing around and lots of people looking for a fire.
    There was no hotel screw up from Horner's perspective. It has already been established that, in regard as to his following protocol, Horner did nothing wrong. It was the fault of the testing agency and their blabbing it happened only makes them look more idiotic.
    "Nothing is so typical of middling minds than to harp on the intellectual deficiencies of the slightly less smart, but considerably more successful."
    Bret Stephens, WSJ

  10. #35
    johnliu@earthlink.net jyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Portland OR
    My Bikes
    61 Bianchi Specialissima 71 Peugeot G50 7? P'geot PX10 74 Raleigh GranSport 75 P'geot UO8 78? Raleigh Team Pro 82 P'geot PSV 86 P'geot PX 91 Bridgestone MB0 92 B'stone XO1 97 Rans VRex 92 Cannondale R1000 94 B'stone MB5 97 Vitus 997
    Posts
    3,780
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
    +1. I truly hope he's clean, but watching him stand on his pedals seemingly indefinitely as he climbed away, you couldn't help but think that this is what they all looked like back in the day when they were doped to the gills.
    He always climbs standing, for as long as I've been watching him. Not "indefinitely", more like for ten minutes.
    Your signature contains too many lines and must be shortened. You may only have up to 2 line(s). Long text may have been implicitly wrapped, causing it to be

  11. #36
    Pseudo Retro Grouch bici_mania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Not In Texas
    My Bikes
    Olmo San Remo
    Posts
    443
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asgelle View Post
    Horner rode on the same team as Armstrong. To claim 2009-2011 was part of the Armstrong Dynasty is a real stretch.
    You are correct, that is a stretch. I want a bit to far.
    Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. - Charles M. Schulz

  12. #37
    Senior Member mprelaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,843
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ooga-booga View Post
    arguably the greatest american roadie ever given his absolute domestic dominance and later european success-riding much of it as a super-domestique.

    people will argue armstrong (maybe not anymore) or lemond but greg's pro career was shorter. granted, he does have 3 tdf's and a few wc's.
    Don't forget his two TdF podiums as a domestique for Fignon in 1984 and Hinault in 1985, along with a 3rd place finish in the Giro in 85 as well.

    He also has a junior WC, and two podium finishes at the WC to go along with his 2 rainbow jerseys.

  13. #38
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,236
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ooga-booga View Post
    arguably the greatest american roadie ever given his absolute domestic dominance and later european success-riding much of it as a super-domestique.

    people will argue armstrong (maybe not anymore) or lemond but greg's pro career was shorter. granted, he does have 3 tdf's and a few wc's.
    WTF?

    Not even close. Lemond's an order of magnitude above Horner. Hampsten's above Horner.

    If we're talking domestic success, Horner didn't win as much as Davis Phinney, who also has 2 TDF stage wins, to Horner's zero.

    And if you don't consider doping, you've got to put Armstrong, Hamilton, and Landis above Horner.

    And what is this European success? Other than the Veulta win, what do you have 9th place in the TDF? 5th in the Tour de Suisse?

    In fact the pattern appears rather smelly: Giro; One start, One DNF; Tour de France; 33rd, 61st,14th, DNF, 9th, DNF, 13th; Veulta; 20th, 36th, DNF, then 1st at age 41?
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  14. #39
    It's MY mountain DiabloScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mt.Diablo
    Posts
    5,448
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    And what is this European success? Other than the Veulta win, what do you have 9th place in the TDF? 5th in the Tour de Suisse?
    It's Vuelta. And he also has a Vuelta al País Basco in which he kicked arse on Valverde, Rodriguez, Sanchez, and Gesink including a win in the TT stage.

    Domestically he's also won the San Francisco Grand Prix and Tour of California, Redlands multiple times, and Tour of Georgia.

    He's a fun guy to watch, comparisons to Lemond and Phinney are just silly.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  15. #40
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,236
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
    It's Vuelta. And he also has a Vuelta al País Basco in which he kicked arse on Valverde, Rodriguez, Sanchez, and Gesink including a win in the TT stage.

    Domestically he's also won the San Francisco Grand Prix and Tour of California, Redlands multiple times, and Tour of Georgia.

    He's a fun guy to watch, comparisons to Lemond and Phinney are just silly.
    He had a great domestic career, and success in Europe that most anyone would be proud of. But it's not of the magnitude that makes him "arguably the best american racer ever"

    I think I'd be more exited about the Vuelta win, if I weren't so suspicuous, which is a sad commentary on the state of the sport now.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  16. #41
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am happy for Horner. Having said that, I am very suspicious too. Just look at the people he defeated, and at the ripe old age of 41 too.

    It also just so happened that he turned in this result of his life just as he'll need a new contract. That makes me suspicious. It just goes to show the damage dopers have done to pro cycling. It is gonna be a long long time before a grand tour winner is not viewed suspiciously as a doper. And that is a real shame.
    Regards,

    Jed

  17. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    2,947
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    I think I'd be more exited about the Vuelta win, if I weren't so suspicuous, which is a sad commentary on the state of the sport now.
    An insider's perspective http://cameronwurf.blogspot.com

  18. #43
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,236
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asgelle View Post
    An insider's perspective http://cameronwurf.blogspot.com
    I hope he's right, but we've heard it all before.

    His point that other riders would not tolerate it in this generation if a top rider was winning by doping, assumes that the other riders are not doping.

    Again, I hope he's right, but one bitten, twice shy.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  19. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    837
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    I hope he's right, but we've heard it all before.

    His point that other riders would not tolerate it in this generation if a top rider was winning by doping, assumes that the other riders are not doping.

    Again, I hope he's right, but one bitten, twice shy.
    When he goes on about "nimrods and bogus calculations" he sounds a bit like he doth protest too much. When he says "today's peloton wouldn't stand for it," well you'd think the post-Festina guys wouldn't have stood for it either.

    I want to believe too, but it's going to take time.

  20. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    2,947
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leinster View Post
    When he says "today's peloton wouldn't stand for it," well you'd think the post-Festina guys wouldn't have stood for it either.
    You should go back and read some of the contemporary publications from the 90's and early 2000's. You won't see language like that at all.

  21. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    837
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asgelle View Post
    You should go back and read some of the contemporary publications from the 90's and early 2000's. You won't see language like that at all.
    Not so much the language/content/vocab, no, but the indignant "how dare you question us" tone.

  22. #47
    Professional Fuss-Budget Bacciagalupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,315
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leinster View Post
    Not so much the language/content/vocab, no, but the indignant "how dare you question us" tone.
    Yep. Riders stopped racing for a full hour in the middle of the stage, to protest the searches and investigations into Festina.

  23. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    837
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe View Post
    Yep. Riders stopped racing for a full hour in the middle of the stage, to protest the searches and investigations into Festina.
    I was reminded of that on that "100 years of the tour" doc that got shown here this year. The helicopter shots of different riders literally pointing fingers in the middle of a stopped peloton brought back some bad memories.

  24. #49
    me have long head tube TallRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    4,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the regular-American-news-outlets-that-covered-Horner's-victory, you can add Grantland (an ESPN subsidiary aimed at a statistically- and culturally-aware crowd)
    Chris Horner, the Unlikely American Cycling Hero

    ...But with apologies to the real cycling fans of the Internet, I'm going to make five assumptions about you, the Grantland reader who stumbled on this article.
    First, you've only ever heard of the Vuelta in passing, if at all, and ditto for Chris Horner.
    Second, you're wondering why you should care.
    Third, you lack some basic facts.
    Fourth, the first word that comes to mind when you come across a cycling story is "doping."
    Fifth, you've yet to encounter the poetic side of the sport...
    Nice article, trying to explain some of the basics of bike racing to the unfamiliar sports fan.
    Unfortunately, it was posted at 5:30 PM on a Wednesday, and apparently most people who read Grantland check the website while at work.

  25. #50
    johnliu@earthlink.net jyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Portland OR
    My Bikes
    61 Bianchi Specialissima 71 Peugeot G50 7? P'geot PX10 74 Raleigh GranSport 75 P'geot UO8 78? Raleigh Team Pro 82 P'geot PSV 86 P'geot PX 91 Bridgestone MB0 92 B'stone XO1 97 Rans VRex 92 Cannondale R1000 94 B'stone MB5 97 Vitus 997
    Posts
    3,780
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earlier in Wurf's blog, he recounts a conversation with Horner about what racing was like earlier in Horner's career. Horner said that back in the day he struggled to keep up with the peleton, even to make it to the feed zone in time for food. I wonder if he was telling young Wurf what it was like when doping was in full swing, and I also wonder if that has something to do with Horner's retreat to the US domestic racing scene for a decade in mid-career. I also wonder why he was, apparently, never accepted into the inner circle of top-level US pro racers in Europe.
    Your signature contains too many lines and must be shortened. You may only have up to 2 line(s). Long text may have been implicitly wrapped, causing it to be

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •