Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-19-13, 01:11 AM   #1
SGcyclist
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lance Armstrong 'comeback' in sport - Ironman triathlon vs 4 times WC Chris McCormack

From Lance's twitter feed and Macca's challenge this race looks like it is on. I can certainly see why Macca wants to just go out and race the guy - as an athlete all your life you would like to just race for fun right? But no doubt this will bring up a lot of arguments in the sport.

Fascinating event for cycling and triathlon nevertheless. I mean who will win anyway?

http://decaironman-training.com/2013...-who-will-win/
SGcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 01:40 AM   #2
Brannigan
Urban Gearhead
 
Brannigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Bikes: '98 Ibis Spanky, '73 Bottecchia, Bruce Gordon (of NM) TT, '98 GT Avalanch
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh? Very cool, looking forward to that! Thanks for that post.
Brannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 01:53 AM   #3
3alarmer
Can'tre Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Bikes: old ones
Posts: 13,913
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
ibtl
3alarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 02:27 AM   #4
Ice41000
Senior Member
 
Ice41000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGcyclist View Post
From Lance's twitter feed and Macca's challenge this race looks like it is on. I can certainly see why Macca wants to just go out and race the guy - as an athlete all your life you would like to just race for fun right? But no doubt this will bring up a lot of arguments in the sport.

Fascinating event for cycling and triathlon nevertheless. I mean who will win anyway?

http://decaironman-training.com/2013...-who-will-win/
Let me guess, there is no testing?
Ice41000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 04:38 AM   #5
thehammerdog
Senior Member
 
thehammerdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NWNJ
Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.
Posts: 2,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lance may be a bit of a tool, but he is a monster of an athlete and has been a competitive pro since a very young age. I wish him well and want to see him compete in races not just some gimmick.
thehammerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 05:58 AM   #6
Dan333SP
Posting while riding
 
Dan333SP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: RVA
Bikes: 2013 Madone 3.1
Posts: 4,235
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehammerdog View Post
Lance may be a bit of a tool, but he is a monster of an athlete and has been a competitive pro since a very young age. I wish him well and want to see him compete in races not just some gimmick.
A bit? Lol.
Dan333SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 10:04 AM   #7
achoo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan333SP View Post
A bit? Lol.
They're ALL utter tools at that level.

Because to get to that level you have to be an utter tool such that NOTHING other than winning matters. AND you need to have the right genes, the right opportunities, and avoid injuries.
achoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 10:34 AM   #8
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry
 
Campag4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 10,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lemond who was on Anderson Cooper's show a while back said something quite telling about Lance. Btw, Lemond believes Lance should be in jail and not just stripped of his titles. Lemond said he remembered when young brash Lance was coming up when Lemond was in his prime.
He said that 'unmodified' Lance was never any better than a top 30 rider. Telling and I believe him.
Campag4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 10:41 AM   #9
AERO63
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
Lemond who was on Anderson Cooper's show a while back said something quite telling about Lance. Btw, Lemond believes Lance should be in jail and not just stripped of his titles. Lemond said he remembered when young brash Lance was coming up when Lemond was in his prime.
He said that 'unmodified' Lance was never any better than a top 30 rider. Telling and I believe him.
So LA was never better than a top-30 rider as he was "coming up"? Well that settles it. His "coming up" was as good as he could have possibly gotten, since that's the case with every athlete. The day someone turns pro is the best they'll ever be. Makes perfect sense.
AERO63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 10:48 AM   #10
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry
 
Campag4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 10,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AERO63 View Post
So LA was never better than a top-30 rider as he was "coming up"? Well that settles it. His "coming up" was as good as he could have possibly gotten, since that's the case with every athlete. The day someone turns pro is the best they'll ever be. Makes perfect sense.
No you misinterpreted or I wasn't clear. Lemond has forgotten more about cycling than the 41 combined. Lemond watched the entire trajectory of Lance's career. He said he wasn't stronger than a top 30 rider before he made 'some changes'.
Campag4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 10:50 AM   #11
CbadRider
Administrator
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 5,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moved from Road to Pro.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 10:52 AM   #12
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 14,213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
and of course 1 person's opinion is fact?
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 11:13 AM   #13
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry
 
Campag4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 10,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
and of course 1 person's opinion is fact?
That's right. His position trumps yours and mine and others who weren't there competing.
Campag4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 12:03 PM   #14
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 14,213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
hahaha and that's YOUR opinion
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 12:18 PM   #15
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 14,213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
just so there's no hard feelings ...
Attached Images
File Type: png duty_calls.png (13.8 KB, 29 views)
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 11:46 PM   #16
bikepro 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Allen, TX
Bikes: Look 585
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
ibtl
I just wish this guy (Lance) would just go away. I'm really tired of all the cycling news trying to wring the last drop from his stories. We need to be focused on how Cookson is literally reinventing the UCI and the future of cycling.
bikepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-13, 03:30 AM   #17
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: normal heights-san diego, ca
Bikes: come and get 'em
Posts: 2,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
regardless of your feelings or position on armstrong being doped to the gills, microdosing, transfusing, mainlining, whatever...7 tdf's in a row is still a tremendous accomplishment.
sure, he was the most compensated rider and had the most resources monetarily and otherwise but to drag your carcass over the alps and pyrenees and still be in a position to win
year in/year out took beyond ridiculous training, a ton of concentration and a lot of luck. as history has shown, there are very few saints at the top end of cycling. we'll never know
what armstrong would have been capable of post-cancer without doping but a top 30 cycling athlete is still a helluva athlete.
ooga-booga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-13, 04:08 AM   #18
Ice41000
Senior Member
 
Ice41000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by achoo View Post
They're ALL utter tools at that level.

Because to get to that level you have to be an utter tool such that NOTHING other than winning matters. AND you need to have the right genes, the right opportunities, and avoid injuries.
Maybe most of them are tools, probably not all of them, though, but Lance was level or two above everyone else ever.
Ice41000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-13, 06:26 AM   #19
roadwarrior
Senior Member
 
roadwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Bike Business!!!
Bikes: Cannondale Super Six High Mod, Evo, Sram Red, CAAD9 Rival
Posts: 10,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
No you misinterpreted or I wasn't clear. Lemond has forgotten more about cycling than the 41 combined. Lemond watched the entire trajectory of Lance's career. He said he wasn't stronger than a top 30 rider before he made 'some changes'.
If we merely go with the 8/1/98 disqualification date that was imposed by USADA, not stronger than a top 30 rider included a World Road Championship. A San Sebastian win. A Tour du Pont win. US Amateur Road Championship win. To name a few.

If you have not seen "The Armstrong Lie", do so.

BTW...having known several people who had really really difficult childhoods, I am not at all surprised, nor was I ever surprised, at his behavior.

I also did not mention the two triathlon national championships he won before he was 19. He was a pro triathlete at 14.

I respect LeMond. He and his Dad were frequently at the shop I raced out of when I was a kid. His resume is one of the best and his comeback...well truly amazing. But good grief. I think Lance was a bit better than a top 30 rider. Top 30 riders do not win often and if they do it's races like Circuit de la Sarthe and somesuch.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 12-20-13 at 08:57 AM.
roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-13, 11:51 AM   #20
MinnMan
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Bikes: 2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
Posts: 2,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
This has gone so far past beating a dead horse that it's not even like beating horse bones anymore. Maybe it's grinding the bonemeal from dead horses.

But addressing Lemond's comments, I say BS. Armstrong dominated because he was a great athlete AND because he cheated. No mid-pack athlete could have done what he did just by doing more doping than the rest. What he could have won in a fair sport, we'll never know, but he wouldn't have been just another domestique in the peleton.

So those of you who say he is a great athlete are right.

And those of you who say he is a dirty cheat are also right.

And I wish he would go away, but the fact that we're even reading this thread suggests that we'll be debating LA for years to come.
MinnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-13, 12:47 PM   #21
mprelaw
Senior Member
 
mprelaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 2,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice41000 View Post
Maybe most of them are tools, probably not all of them, though, but Lance was level or two above everyone else ever.
That's is probably the most hilarious statement that I've ever read on Bike Forums, and there's a whole cornucopia of them to choose from.

Lance was a "level or two above everyone else ever"? Above Anquetil? Coppi? Merckx? Hinault? Fignon? LeMond? Not only better, but "a level or two above"? I won't throw Indurain in there, because he and Lance are cut from the same cloth.

Cycling existed long before 1999. You need to read some history. What other GTs did Lance ever finish, let alone win? The TdF is only one, and in most years, the Giro and Vuelta are more difficult. Hinault and Eddy won them all, and Hinault won each at least twice.
mprelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-13, 02:16 PM   #22
canam73
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Haunchyville
Bikes:
Posts: 6,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprelaw View Post
That's is probably the most hilarious statement that I've ever read on Bike Forums, and there's a whole cornucopia of them to choose from.

Lance was a "level or two above everyone else ever"? Above Anquetil? Coppi? Merckx? Hinault? Fignon? LeMond? Not only better, but "a level or two above"? I won't throw Indurain in there, because he and Lance are cut from the same cloth.

Cycling existed long before 1999. You need to read some history. What other GTs did Lance ever finish, let alone win? The TdF is only one, and in most years, the Giro and Vuelta are more difficult. Hinault and Eddy won them all, and Hinault won each at least twice.
Hmm. I took Ice to mean Lance was a level or two above everyone in the "being a tool" category.
canam73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-13, 04:35 PM   #23
robabeatle 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: ?
Bikes: i may have bike(s)
Posts: 2,178
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
yeah, mprelaw read again.
robabeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-13, 09:17 AM   #24
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 14,213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
I think we can all agree the sport needs a new clean role model (or more than one) to take his place. the sport gained a lot, and then lost a lot.
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-13, 09:25 AM   #25
Caretaker
Heretic
 
Caretaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3
Posts: 1,586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
This should appeal to the kind of people who like watching horses race against zebras.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:00 PM.