Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    cycling fanatic Ken Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Posts
    1,080
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Contador is back!

    I haven't been on this forum for a while, partly because Rogers Sportsnet broadcast Tirreno-Adriatico and Paris Nice with a 1-day delay and I was afraid of spoilers. I am surprised to find that there has been no mention of Tirreno-Adriatico, and that is probably because of spotty TV coverage in USA. If you didn't see it, you missed some fantastic stages. Contador was his old self and beat Quintana by 1 second on stage 4, then dropped him on stage 5, and others, to eventually win the race by 2:05.

    Looking forward to Milan-Sam Remo on Sunday but even more to Volta a Catalunya starting Monday. The Volta has Contador, Froome, Quintana, Uran, Rodriguez, Tejay, Horner, etc. Should be great. Sportsnet will again be a day delayed so, please, no spoilers.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    2010 Cannondale Supersix Hi-Mod, 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert, 1984 Trek 520, 1981 Peugeot beater
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stage 5 of TA was quite a race. It was good to see Contador in his old form.

  3. #3
    cycling fanatic Ken Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Posts
    1,080
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rogers Sportsnet did not air Milan-San Remo and never posted a reason. I forgive them because I am grateful that they show a lot of cycling, but it is bush-league to not even have an announcement.

    I watched the final 3 minutes on Steephill and it seems it was not an exciting race.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rabraistan
    Posts
    208
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see the UCI allows some dopers back into racing. /sarcasm
    Quote Originally Posted by gaucho777 View Post
    I know people hate seeing bikes on cycling-related forums, so my apologies for that.
    No single raindrop considers itself responsible for the flood.

  5. #5
    self propelled lifer peter_d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Manitoba
    My Bikes
    1962 Dawes Galaxy; 72 Gitane Interclub;73 Peugeot PR10;78 Torpado Luxe;73 Grandis; 81 Raleigh/Carlton Comp; 85 Bianchi Stelvio; 87 Bianchi Brava; 73 Bottechia Special; 1969 or70 Bob Jackson
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never been a fan of Contador the man but I have to admit to a grudging respect for his racing style. He's willing to go for it himself rather than hiding behind his teammates for 95% of the race

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
    My Bikes
    7 single speed road
    Posts
    4,164
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peter_d View Post
    I've never been a fan of Contador the man but I have to admit to a grudging respect for his racing style. He's willing to go for it himself rather than hiding behind his teammates for 95% of the race
    agreed...

    you have to admire the guy's willingness to work, at any rate. in yesterday's Volta a Catalunya stage, a sprinters stage, he came in sixth, as a result of some intense effort near the end, with little chance of gaining anything on the GC leader.

    he's a pretty canny strategist too.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Haunchyville
    Posts
    6,328
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan View Post
    agreed...

    you have to admire the guy's willingness to work, at any rate. in yesterday's Volta a Catalunya stage, a sprinters stage, he came in sixth, as a result of some intense effort near the end, with little chance of gaining anything on the GC leader.

    he's a pretty canny strategist too.
    He was hoping to gain a time bonus. He missed by one place as they are only given 1-5.

  8. #8
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    My Bikes
    Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike
    Posts
    1,741
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay for winning more races and have them retroactively removed from doping allegations. Amazes me he hasn't been given a lifetime ban yet.

  9. #9
    Senior Member MinnMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis
    My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Posts
    1,645
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zymphad View Post
    Yay for winning more races and have them retroactively removed from doping allegations. Amazes me he hasn't been given a lifetime ban yet.
    If they gave lifetime bans based on one failed test, how many would be out of the peloton?

  10. #10
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    My Bikes
    Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike
    Posts
    1,741
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
    If they gave lifetime bans based on one failed test, how many would be out of the peloton?
    Who cares. They should enforce their rules. If the UCI and other promotions decide they allow doping, so be it. I don't care. But if doping is against rules, then enforce it. Why should other cyclists be banned but Contador continued to be celebrated and allowed to compete. His wins at both Espana and France were revoked.

    And do you seriously believe he wasn't doping with Team Astana? Do you seriously believe he hasn't been doping for the past at least half decade?

    If the UCI and professional cycling want to prove they do want to keep competition clean, they should give Contador lifetime ban and retroactively remove all his wins from 2006 onward. Screw him. As long as he's riding, pro cycling will be tainted.

    Personally I don't care if cyclists dope. I think Lance Armstrong is hands down the best cyclists of my lifetime. I believe even if Froume and Wiggins were doping, they wouldn't be as good as Armstrong. But if you're going to have rules, enforce them. No exceptions, no special treatment. It should be zero tolerance. If you don't have zero tolerance then the competitors will always believe there is a chance they will get away with it and continue to compete and just think, I have to dope better.

    I suspect Contador is just doping smarter.

  11. #11
    Senior Member MinnMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis
    My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Posts
    1,645
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to see yet another thread (much less another rider/race/year/etc) hijacked to debates about doping. Your sentiment is acknowledged Zymphad and I know that many agree with you. But as we watch these races, we can't erase from the screen or the road the guys we think are cheaters. They are there on the road and one can't help but root for or against them and note who is strong and who isn't. Cheating or no, Contador is a remarkable resilient competitor. I don't usually root for him - there are others I prefer. But he has skills and he has guts.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rabraistan
    Posts
    208
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
    I hate to see yet another thread (much less another rider/race/year/etc) hijacked to debates about doping. Your sentiment is acknowledged Zymphad and I know that many agree with you. But as we watch these races, we can't erase from the screen or the road the guys we think are cheaters. They are there on the road and one can't help but root for or against them and note who is strong and who isn't. Cheating or no, Contador is a remarkable resilient competitor. I don't usually root for him - there are others I prefer. But he has skills and he has guts.
    But increased strength and resiliency/recoverability are the advantages of doping. If you're going to ignore the difference that makes to race results, you might as well lift the ban on doping entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaucho777 View Post
    I know people hate seeing bikes on cycling-related forums, so my apologies for that.
    No single raindrop considers itself responsible for the flood.

  13. #13
    Senior Member MinnMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis
    My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Posts
    1,645
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john.b View Post
    But increased strength and resiliency/recoverability are the advantages of doping. If you're going to ignore the difference that makes to race results, you might as well lift the ban on doping entirely.
    Yeah yeah, sure. That's not my point. My point is that he's in there in the race. You or we might think he shouldn't be there, but as long as UCI doesn't take him out, the other riders are marking him or drafting him or getting smoked by him, etc. He's not just getting his own result, he's influencing the other racers' strategies and therefore their results too. So if I'm going to watch a race, I'm not sitting there thinking - he's a doper, the guy behind him is a better person. I'm taking in the race as it unfolds, with him as an actor.

    I'm not arguing what's right and wrong - I'm just telling you how I feel when I'm watching.. I can't watch every race keeping track of who's legit and pretending the other ones aren't there because 3 years from now their result will be voided. Making sure the racers are legit is UCI's job and if they aren't doing it right, then shame on them. But my job is either to enjoy watching the race or to say it's all a crock and do something else with my leisure time.

    Years ago I stopped watching pro football when I decided that the prevent defense was a conspiracy by the NFL to make games more exciting. I lost interest. I'm not at that point with bike racing. Maybe you are.
    Last edited by MinnMan; 04-07-14 at 11:27 PM.

  14. #14
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,395
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post

    Years ago I stopped watching pro football when I decided that the prevent defense was a conspiracy by the NFL to make games more exciting. I lost interest. I'm not at that point with bike racing. Maybe you are.
    Seriously? You think that an NFL head coach, who is measured on wins and losses, and is subject to termination from a highly lucrative job at any time, would call a defense for the purpose of allowing the other team to get back in the game and potentially win?
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  15. #15
    Senior Member MinnMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis
    My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Posts
    1,645
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    Seriously? You think that an NFL head coach, who is measured on wins and losses, and is subject to termination from a highly lucrative job at any time, would call a defense for the purpose of allowing the other team to get back in the game and potentially win?
    "the only thing the prevent defense does is prevent you from winning" - John Madden

    After watching with great excitement the spectacular drives that invariably happen in the last couple of minutes of close games, I began to feel manipulated. And I note that those coaches get paid millions of dollars as severance when they are fired.

    But this is not the place to debate the NFL. You are free to believe what you like, as am I. Just like we can harbor or ignore suspicions of doping.

  16. #16
    Senior Member roadwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Galt Gulch
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Super Six High Mod, Evo, Sram Red, CAAD9 Rival
    Posts
    10,046
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
    Years ago I stopped watching pro football when I decided that the prevent defense was a conspiracy by the NFL to make games more exciting. I lost interest. I'm not at that point with bike racing. Maybe you are.
    I would have guessed it was because you live in Minneapolis and are stuck with the Vikings...
    "Nothing is so typical of middling minds than to harp on the intellectual deficiencies of the slightly less smart, but considerably more successful."
    Bret Stephens, WSJ

  17. #17
    Trek 500 Kid Zinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Spokane WA
    My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Posts
    2,462
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I always liked Contador. Good on him and he looks like a good pick for the Tour this year.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

  18. #18
    Senior Member reef58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    My Bikes
    Serotta Nove
    Posts
    1,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john.b View Post
    But increased strength and resiliency/recoverability are the advantages of doping. If you're going to ignore the difference that makes to race results, you might as well lift the ban on doping entirely.
    Yea but if you magically removed all drugs from the face of the Earth one rider would still have an advantage in strength, resiliency and recovery. Failing a failed drug test you run what you brung. The topic is beat to death. I still fail to understand why some folks get so emotional about it.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Hollywood, Florida
    My Bikes
    DeRosa,,Guerciotti, Cinelli, Giordana,Trek Mamba, 8000, Gureciotti
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did Contador pass his test?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •