Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Senior Member CrankyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    721
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Conti's Specialized Frame - Truth?

    So far there appear to be at least four different stories regarding Conti's bike and at least three came from people supposedly involved. Any guesses what folks are trying to cover up?
    "Trying to cure traffic congestion by adding more capacity is like trying to cure obesity by loosening your belt." - ATL Urbanist

  2. #2
    Senior Member Giacomo 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Queens NYC
    Posts
    2,022
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOne View Post
    So far there appear to be at least four different stories regarding Conti's bike and at least three came from people supposedly involved. Any guesses what folks are trying to cover up?
    Yeah, no bike manufacturer wants to have one of their frames fail in the biggest showcase of the year.

    Very bad for sales and contracts...
    Colnago Super
    Torelli Pista
    Basso Gap
    Fabio Barecci
    Miyata 1400A

    It never gets easier, you just go faster. ~ Greg LeMond

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
    My Bikes
    7 single speed road
    Posts
    4,439
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    trouble is that we will probably never know what happened.

    OTOH, what with all the video cameras out there, we may well see something turn up on youtube...

  4. #4
    nun
    nun is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
    Posts
    2,634
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's reported that Belkin confirm the collision with the Saxo car where they claim Contador's second bike got broken. The impact knocked a bike off the Belkin car and it hit the windscreen.

    http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/07/ti...ontador-frame/

  5. #5
    Professional Fuss-Budget Bacciagalupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,384
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOne View Post
    So far there appear to be at least four different stories regarding Conti's bike and at least three came from people supposedly involved. Any guesses what folks are trying to cover up?
    No one is trying to cover up anything.

    Numerous riders saw Contador crash. Saxo was taking risks on a slippery descent, Contador hit something, lost his grip, and went off the bike. The bike was damaged some time after the crash. Not that complex, folks.

    Edit....


  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North West South Carolina
    Posts
    515
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truth may or may not have come out yet. By his on words a Saxo rider following Conti saw him go down, slid past him about 50 meters, went back and gave him his bike and immediately picked up Conti's (quote) "broken bike" and waved to be sure the team car did not go past him.

  7. #7
    Seņor Member ericy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Vienna VA
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3
    Posts
    734
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony N. View Post
    Truth may or may not have come out yet. By his on words a Saxo rider following Conti saw him go down, slid past him about 50 meters, went back and gave him his bike and immediately picked up Conti's (quote) "broken bike" and waved to be sure the team car did not go past him.
    True but he also said that Condator was reaching for some food and hit something like a pothole or a rock, and then lost control.

    I can't imagine taking my hands off the bars while riding at 70kph. But then again I am only a recreational rider.

  8. #8
    GATC
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    south Puget Sound
    Posts
    6,620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe View Post
    No one is trying to cover up anything.

    Numerous riders saw Contador crash. Saxo was taking risks on a slippery descent, Contador hit something, lost his grip, and went off the bike. The bike was damaged some time after the crash. Not that complex, folks.

    Edit....

    That is Nicholas Roche's bike, don't know if that's the one Contador was riding when he went down.

  9. #9
    Senior Member work4bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Atlantic Beach Florida
    Posts
    638
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nun View Post
    It's reported that Belkin confirm the collision with the Saxo car where they claim Contador's second bike got broken. The impact knocked a bike off the Belkin car and it hit the windscreen.

    Tinkoff Saxo tangle with Belkin bikes identified as cause of snapped Contador frame | CyclingTips
    Mystery solved.
    "The aim of science is to make difficult things understandable in a simpler way; the aim of poetry is to state simple things in an incomprehensible way. The two are incompatible."

    -- Paul Dirac

  10. #10
    Senior Member dstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Awesome, Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6
    Posts
    3,751
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
    Mystery solved.
    So...$20k worth of bikes destroyed in the span of a few minutes? Ouch.

    2014 Specialized RoubaixOOOOOO 2003 Interloc ImpalaOOOOOO 2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)


  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    613
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
    Mystery solved.
    Too simple.

    Remember Kennedy.... I saw the first draft of the Warren Commission Report. In it, the president had been killed by a drunk driver...

  12. #12
    Senior Member CrankyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    721
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
    Mystery solved.
    Don't think so. I'm no conspiracy theorist but anytime you get people changing their story that many times in the way that they did sort of screams cover-up.
    "Trying to cure traffic congestion by adding more capacity is like trying to cure obesity by loosening your belt." - ATL Urbanist

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    470
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mayer View Post
    Too simple.

    Remember Kennedy.... I saw the first draft of the Warren Commission Report. In it, the president had been killed by a drunk driver...
    That wasn't the president, that was Mary Jo Kopechne...

  14. #14
    LBKA punkncat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    OTP South
    Posts
    2,087
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally feel like Contador got hit by a car and no one wants to admit it. I think the car on the roof pic was staged after the bike was cleaned up some. Too many stories and too quick to cover up a failure with several lame attempts which obviously showed someone didn't make the calls to correlate the stories before people rushed to cover for the manufacturer. I think after the Tour some things will come out about this.
    One Foot Less

  15. #15
    Senior Member work4bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Atlantic Beach Florida
    Posts
    638
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
    I personally feel like Contador got hit by a car and no one wants to admit it. I think the car on the roof pic was staged after the bike was cleaned up some. Too many stories and too quick to cover up a failure with several lame attempts which obviously showed someone didn't make the calls to correlate the stories before people rushed to cover for the manufacturer. I think after the Tour some things will come out about this.
    I haven't seen detailed pics of the bike, but shouldn't there be more damage than a broken frame, such as mangled wheels, handlebars, or whatever...
    "The aim of science is to make difficult things understandable in a simpler way; the aim of poetry is to state simple things in an incomprehensible way. The two are incompatible."

    -- Paul Dirac

  16. #16
    LBKA punkncat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    OTP South
    Posts
    2,087
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
    I haven't seen detailed pics of the bike, but shouldn't there be more damage than a broken frame, such as mangled wheels, handlebars, or whatever...
    Consider that we didn't see the bike until over a day later....anything could have happened. Really, who knows...but I LOVES a good conspiracy.

    I believe in the linked story it claims that the bike caught on another bike or rack as they passed a car...so where is the damage from that catch, other than the cleanly broken frame? I would also expect to see something else bent (whatever "hooked" on the rack) from that as well.
    There is no footage of the wreck, the bike swap, the riding down the road a bit further, nothing but him sitting and changing a shoe after he had already swapped bikes and attempted to ride again.
    Last edited by punkncat; 07-21-14 at 11:02 AM.
    One Foot Less

  17. #17
    GATC
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    south Puget Sound
    Posts
    6,620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
    I personally feel like Contador got hit by a car and no one wants to admit it.
    Why would they hide that, they were thrilled when Hoogerland and Flecha got run off the road into barbed wire a couple years ago.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
    Why would they hide that, they were thrilled when Hoogerland and Flecha got run off the road into barbed wire a couple years ago.
    "Thrilled" wouldn't be the word I'd use for their reaction to that.

    But I think if Contador got hit by a car, he (and Roche, and the other riders who were near at the time) wouldn't be shy about coming forward and saying it.

  19. #19
    Old. Slow. Happy. MileHighMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Boulder County, CO
    Posts
    1,457
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contador be like:

    wonkador.jpg
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

  20. #20
    Coppista Rhinelander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dallas
    My Bikes
    Bianchi
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heard today that Alberto is having complications in his recovery process (...stiches came off ... still bleeding..?)
    Get well soon, Alberto

  21. #21
    GATC
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    south Puget Sound
    Posts
    6,620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NYT article:

    Much as in what are now called cycling’s black years of doping, there is a code of silence among riders, even retired ones, and mechanics and team officials over the issue of carbon bike and wheel durability. The teams and riders exist, in part, to act as powerful marketing tools for bike-makers.

    But when they spoke on the condition they not be identified, their stories emerged. Riders described landing on the top, horizontal tube of the bikes during crashes and ending up on the road after their frames splintered and collapsed. Small spills that used to mean, at best, straightening handlebars often require a bike change. Mechanics say they sometimes return the shattered remains of frames to manufacturers in bags intended to hold a single bicycle wheel.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/sp...tml?ref=sports

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •