Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-14, 09:52 PM   #1
bauhaus92
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro 08
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to believe!! Please convince me Nibali is riding clean

Day after day of constant attacks that just blow away the field. He's not even laboring when he attacks. He crosses the line with all the poise of a dignitary, while others behind him are gasping for the last breath in their lungs. I quote Rodriguez the other day; “I thought that I could win, that was my intention. More or less I felt good but I was missing something to be able to follow Nibali. He passed me like an aeroplane,”

Hmmmm What was he missing?

Please help me, I don't want to be a skeptic.
bauhaus92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-14, 10:27 PM   #2
Gallo
Senior Member
 
Gallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego CA
Bikes: 2008 Wilier Motorolio Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail 1986 Paramount 2014 Pivot Mach 429c
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
These questions will always be asked. It is not as if he has not dropped Rodriguez before. He is not a surprise or coming out of nowhere.

2010 third Giro first Vuelta

2011 second Giro 2012

2012 third Tour

2013 first Giro

I am not saying he is doping and I a not saying he is not because I do not know.

Rodriguez used a term common in cycling and not an indication or accusation of doping. Fulsang has been a stud working for him on the climbs leaving him with energy for finishes.

However there is a body of work there that is impressive and his style has always been cool and the man has always been able to climb. The reason he is where he is the day he and Fulsang crushed everyone on the cobbles
Gallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-14, 10:36 PM   #3
bauhaus92
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro 08
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallo View Post
These questions will always be asked. It is not as if he has not dropped Rodriguez before. He is not a surprise or coming out of nowhere.

2010 third Giro first Vuelta

2011 second Giro 2012

2012 third Tour

2013 first Giro

I am not saying he is doping and I a not saying he is not because I do not know.

Rodriguez used a term common in cycling and not an indication or accusation of doping. Fulsang has been a stud working for him on the climbs leaving him with energy for finishes.

However there is a body of work there that is impressive and his style has always been cool and the man has always been able to climb. The reason he is where he is the day he and Fulsang crushed everyone on the cobbles
I understand that he didn't just pop onto the scene but when he was third in 2012 he was 3 minutes down on Froome and over 6 minutes on Wiggins. Froome won last year but no where close to the dominance Nibali has shown so far. Both Froome and Wiggins would finish a mountain stage gasping from the effort but I see nothing from Nibali. Just the fact that he is with Astana can't help but make some, like me, skeptical.

Last edited by bauhaus92; 07-19-14 at 10:44 PM.
bauhaus92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-14, 10:51 PM   #4
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Bikes:
Posts: 6,789
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauhaus92 View Post
Both Froome and Wiggins would finish a mountain stage gasping from the effort but I see nothing from Nibali.
He looked gased on Stage 8 after barely hanging with Contador and finishing 3rd.

DiabloScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-14, 11:05 PM   #5
bauhaus92
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro 08
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
He looked gased on Stage 8 after barely hanging with Contador and finishing 3rd.

Oh that's right, the guy who got DQ'd for doping himself on the same team. Forgot about that.
bauhaus92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-14, 11:12 PM   #6
gregf83 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes:
Posts: 7,337
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
There is nothing anyone can say that will remove your doubt. So enjoy the race or don't but don't expect someone to prove he's clean.
gregf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-14, 11:21 PM   #7
bauhaus92
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro 08
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
There is nothing anyone can say that will remove your doubt. So enjoy the race or don't but don't expect someone to prove he's clean.
I do enjoy the race. Watched every minute so far. And i'm not a Nibali hater. I've pulled for him a few times. And now that the tour is already over i'll enjoy watching the fight for the rest of the podium. But every rider has at least one bad day as did Froome last year and Wiggins the year before. I will reserve complete judgment until that day comes for Nibali and he loses a minute to his rivals, then I will believe he is human and clean.
bauhaus92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 12:01 AM   #8
Gallo
Senior Member
 
Gallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego CA
Bikes: 2008 Wilier Motorolio Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail 1986 Paramount 2014 Pivot Mach 429c
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I believe you want to believe he is doping
Gallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 12:27 AM   #9
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider
 
gpsblake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South Carolina
Bikes:
Posts: 1,888
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I don't think it's so much doping but more of a weak GC field with Contador and Froome gone. Nibali was almost everyone's pick to finish 3rd before the tour began and was completely prepared for the tour this year.

Let's hope the doping is all but gone, the number of riders getting caught is almost zero today. Of course, they could have adapted Armstrong tactics to get around the testing.
gpsblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 01:40 AM   #10
dahoss2002
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bossier City, La
Bikes: 70's Motobecane, 89 Centurion Ironman
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Everyone has caught onto the Team Sky "training at altitude regimen" Nibali, Contador, and Valverde all did it this spring along with Froome. Contador and Froome aint here though
dahoss2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 07:26 AM   #11
gregf83 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes:
Posts: 7,337
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauhaus92 View Post
I do enjoy the race. Watched every minute so far. And i'm not a Nibali hater. I've pulled for him a few times. And now that the tour is already over i'll enjoy watching the fight for the rest of the podium. But every rider has at least one bad day as did Froome last year and Wiggins the year before. I will reserve complete judgment until that day comes for Nibali and he loses a minute to his rivals, then I will believe he is human and clean.
The notion that you can determine whether a rider has taken drugs in the past year based on how tired he looks at the end of a race or whether or not he has a bad day is naive and illogical.

Just enjoy the race...
gregf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 08:41 AM   #12
DLBroox
Senior Member
 
DLBroox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Curve D3, Dahon Mu Uno
Posts: 807
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Wow we made it two weeks in before someone just had to start a doping thread. Too bad.
DLBroox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 08:43 AM   #13
Leinster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 2,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsblake View Post
I don't think it's so much doping but more of a weak GC field with Contador and Froome gone. Nibali was almost everyone's pick to finish 3rd before the tour began and was completely prepared for the tour this year.

Let's hope the doping is all but gone, the number of riders getting caught is almost zero today. Of course, they could have adapted Armstrong tactics to get around the testing.
All of this. And not to forget that Quintana isn't in the Tour either. If Nibali was coming in 4th on all these climbs nobody would be suggesting he was juicing, just that the other 3 ahead of him were.
Leinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 08:50 AM   #14
bauhaus92
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro 08
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really meant what I said in my thread title, "I want to believe" I just wanted to hear what others had to say and from the overwhelming response in defense of Nibali I thank all of you for reassuring me there is real hope that the sport is as clean as it possibly can be at the moment. The High altitude training makes sense. I really want it to be true. I hate explaining to all my non-cycling friends why I love the sport, when there has been such a tainted history so i just needed a little reassurance from reasonable fans.
bauhaus92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 08:56 AM   #15
gregf83 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes:
Posts: 7,337
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
I'm not sure that's the take away message from this thread. No one here has any idea if the field is riding clean or not. Personally, I just assume many are taking something illegal just like they do in most other sports.

I suspect you don't really care if they're doping or not as long as you don't have to hear about someone getting caught.

It's simpler if you just assume they're all on something and enjoy the racing for what it is.
gregf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 09:40 AM   #16
Leinster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 2,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauhaus92 View Post
I really meant what I said in my thread title, "I want to believe" I just wanted to hear what others had to say and from the overwhelming response in defense of Nibali I thank all of you for reassuring me there is real hope that the sport is as clean as it possibly can be at the moment. The High altitude training makes sense. I really want it to be true. I hate explaining to all my non-cycling friends why I love the sport, when there has been such a tainted history so i just needed a little reassurance from reasonable fans.
Just tell them "hey, at least my sport does something about catching the cheats." If your friends are into baseball, American football, football-football, wrestling, whatever, they're pretty much just fooling themselves if they think their own guys are clean.
Leinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 09:46 AM   #17
colombo357
Senior Member
 
colombo357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauhaus92 View Post
I really meant what I said in my thread title, "I want to believe" I just wanted to hear what others had to say and from the overwhelming response in defense of Nibali I thank all of you for reassuring me there is real hope that the sport is as clean as it possibly can be at the moment. The High altitude training makes sense. I really want it to be true. I hate explaining to all my non-cycling friends why I love the sport, when there has been such a tainted history so i just needed a little reassurance from reasonable fans.
Why be so whiny and overly emotional?

"I really want", "I hope", "I hate", "I love", "I just needed".

This thread is about you, not about Nibali. Get a grip.
colombo357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 10:02 AM   #18
koolerb
Senior Member
 
koolerb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Bikes: Giant Defy 1, and some others
Posts: 891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll assume he's clean and just having a great tour until there's some evidence to the contrary. Where the heck are we when anytime someone does something exceptional they're accused of cheating. I guess we should all just strive to be mediocre.
koolerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 11:02 AM   #19
DLBroox
Senior Member
 
DLBroox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Curve D3, Dahon Mu Uno
Posts: 807
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombo357 View Post
Why be so whiny and overly emotional?

"I really want", "I hope", "I hate", "I love", "I just needed".

This thread is about you, not about Nibali. Get a grip.
DLBroox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 11:30 AM   #20
jeirvine 
Senior Member
 
jeirvine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bethesda/Baltimore MD
Bikes: Too many to count. No wait: eight. I have eight bikes.
Posts: 2,169
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I think the EPO era allowed a lot of pro cyclists to be at or near the same stratospheric performance level. Now that (IMHO) folks are riding clean, I think riders at the very top of their game will simply stand out amongst the field. Doesn't rule doping out, but I can believe Nibali is simply that much better at the moment than his (remaining) competitors.
__________________
The man who dies with the most toys…is dead. - Rootboy
jeirvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 07:40 PM   #21
Giacomo 1 
Senior Member
 
Giacomo 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for bringing up doping.

I was naively enjoying what I thought was a very interesting TDF and hadn't even thought about the doping issue. How silly of me.
__________________
Colnago Super
Torelli Pista
Basso Gap
Fabio Barecci
Miyata 1400A

It never gets easier, you just go faster. ~ Greg LeMond
Giacomo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 09:10 AM   #22
Rich Gibson 
Senior Member
 
Rich Gibson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Annandale, VA
Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0
Posts: 522
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauhaus92 View Post
Oh that's right, the guy who got DQ'd for doping himself on the same team. Forgot about that.
And that has WHAT to do with the OP's question? The 2014 Tour de France. I also noticed a shot at that finish line with AC ahead when Nibali was wiped and now almost miraculously he flies up every hill. It's a reasonable question to ask when seemingly all the other top flight GCs are at a similar level and his performance level is so elevated. That said, it will be interesting to see how Majka performs in the Pyrenees.

Rich
__________________
..life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes. ― Andy Rooney ...enjoy what's left!

Last edited by Rich Gibson; 07-21-14 at 09:13 AM.
Rich Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 10:30 AM   #23
Keith99
Senior Member
 
Keith99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Gibson View Post
And that has WHAT to do with the OP's question? The 2014 Tour de France. I also noticed a shot at that finish line with AC ahead when Nibali was wiped and now almost miraculously he flies up every hill. It's a reasonable question to ask when seemingly all the other top flight GCs are at a similar level and his performance level is so elevated. That said, it will be interesting to see how Majka performs in the Pyrenees.

Rich
So the original accusation was he is finishing every stage looking 'fresh', but once it is pointed out that he was exhausted on one stage that serves just as well as 'evidence'

And of course he is said to be demolishing his opposition when in fact a good part of his lead is because of great teamwork over the cobbles.

If he has no bad days, that is evidence he is doping. If he has a bad day and bounces back, that is evidence he is doping.

And I'd bet if he has a bad day and does not bounce back that is evidence his doping program finally failed. But that one will at least take him off the hotseat, the focus of 'he must be doping' will shift to the new leader.
Keith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 12:11 PM   #24
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07
 
Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SE Florida, USA aka the Treasure Coast
Bikes:
Posts: 5,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsblake View Post
I don't think it's so much doping but more of a weak GC field with Contador and Froome gone. Nibali was almost everyone's pick to finish 3rd before the tour began and was completely prepared for the tour this year.

Let's hope the doping is all but gone, the number of riders getting caught is almost zero today. Of course, they could have adapted Armstrong tactics to get around the testing.
I tend to hold to this line. Anything is possible but I see a strong and prepared GC rider beat up on a depleted field. Tejay is a year away.
__________________
“Life is not one damned thing after another. Life is one damned thing over and over.”
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 12:17 PM   #25
amit_shah25 
Drunken Master
 
amit_shah25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Teaneck NJ
Bikes: Jamis Ranger 1.0 (Mutilated !!), Trek Portland
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith99 View Post
And I'd bet if he has a bad day and does not bounce back that is evidence his doping program finally failed
__________________
Nothing to say !
amit_shah25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:23 PM.