Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 107
  1. #51
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,901
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by never_recover View Post
    Well it sounds like you actually get a better coverage than us here in France.. We get a incredibly boring pre-stage "thing" which has nothing to do with cycling, and the live coverage also generally starts 30-60 minutes in...
    That sounds very much like the coverage here in Australia ... except our pre-stage "thing" isn't too bad.


    And in addition to that, we get a 30 minute highlight show right after work, plus every sports segment with the news on TV or radio has a bit about the Tour. I think at least one of the morning shows on TV also does a 15-ish minute segment on the Tour too.



    Quote Originally Posted by never_recover View Post
    Anyway, from this (australian!) article, we get a few interesting stats from last year TDF.. Basically, I think France TV only controls the helicopter feeds but there are many motorcycle feeds and each TV station is free to follow any rider it wants to.. Unlike (I think) most other major event (Soccer, Olympics..) where the feeds are tightly controlled...

    How the Tour de France is Broadcast To the World | CyclingTips

    3,360km of racing

    35 different start/finish town stages

    broadcast in 190 countries

    450 journalists

    121 TV stations covering the event, of which 60 do so live, with 260 cameramen working on motorcycles, in helicopters and at the finish line

    72 radio stations

    560 accredited media organisations

    2400 vehicles on course (organisation, media, publicity caravan, etc.)

    4,500 people, from riders to organisers to media to members of the publicity caravan and so on

    A 12km long publicity caravan that includes 180 vehicles, 600 people and that distributes nearly 15 million items to fans
    Interesting!

    I thought the coverage might be specific to each TV station because ours seems to focus mainly on the breakaway group, next on the leaders, then on the Aussies and Canadians in the group, and finally on anything "interesting" that might be going on, like crashes, or someone doing really well, or something. Last year, for example, we had a lot of coverage of Nairo Quintana.

    But, as another example, I didn't realise Tejay van Garderen was in this year's Tour until just the other day when an announcer commented that he came across the line 4th or 5th or something. They hardly ever talk about him. However, I'm guessing that if I were watching the TDF on an American station, he might be their focus.

  2. #52
    Senior Member kelsodeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    SF bay area
    My Bikes
    are pretty cool
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahaha i download the british eurosport coverage that are all about the english riders. is it not expected to have a nationalistic slant on the broadcasting within that country? i feel like im taking crazy pills here

  3. #53
    Senior Member bruce19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
    My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Posts
    3,288
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once went out on a solo 32 mi. ride and dumped in a corner at about mile 10. Got up with bike undamaged. I, OTOH, was bleeding from elbow and knee. No other damage. I got back on the bike and finished the ride. Later I congratulated myself for my "toughness" as did others who heard the story. Watching what these guys in the Tour endure made me laugh at my absurd ego.

  4. #54
    Senior Member roadwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Galt Gulch
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Super Six High Mod, Evo, Sram Red, CAAD9 Rival
    Posts
    10,048
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RollCNY View Post
    Well, I guess I am the one, because I read the article and found it offensive. Cav "quit", Froome " called it a day", and Contador "surrendered". And Talansky battled on heroically.

    Don't take me wrong, I am amazed he finished, much as I am amazed Tiago Machado struggled on. Honestly, didn't Dan Martin do the same thing last year, but in the pouring rain? Maybe it was Nicolas Roche. But since they are Irish, it shouldn't matter. Cycling has amazing tales of struggling against adversity. Talansky did that. But to say " the boundaries of human endeavor are transcended", I think not. Read about Shackleton and the aptly named Endurance ​if you wish to see man persevere.
    Yeah...good point...

    Contador surrendered to a broken tibia. What a wuss...
    "Nothing is so typical of middling minds than to harp on the intellectual deficiencies of the slightly less smart, but considerably more successful."
    Bret Stephens, WSJ

  5. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tulsa OK
    Posts
    1,361
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would feel bad for Talansky if he didn't run his mouth constantly.

  6. #56
    Bridge Burner RollCNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NY
    My Bikes
    Felt Rejected
    Posts
    7,183
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    I once went out on a solo 32 mi. ride and dumped in a corner at about mile 10. Got up with bike undamaged. I, OTOH, was bleeding from elbow and knee. No other damage. I got back on the bike and finished the ride. Later I congratulated myself for my "toughness" as did others who heard the story. Watching what these guys in the Tour endure made me laugh at my absurd ego.
    Why is your ego absurd? Are you paid to ride your bicycle? Are others paid based upon your performance on a bicycle? Near as I can tell, you were on a recreational ride, and you crashed, and you kept riding. Good on you.

    One of the earliest lessons I learned hiking was "It is always easier to go back to the car." Hiking, like cycling, is as much or more mental as it is physical. It makes us all dig deeper than we might otherwise, and for that I say, good on all cyclists.

  7. #57
    Senior Member Looigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,614
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on the fence as to whether finishing the stage was courageous or stupid...or maybe both. If all it did was exacerbate his injury and delay/prolong recovery, wouldn't that be stupid? It did garner more media coverage for the team sponsors, and perhaps (questionably) raised his esteem among his peers, so does that qualify it as courageous?
    Ride more. Fret less.

  8. #58
    Senior Member bruce19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
    My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Posts
    3,288
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RollCNY View Post
    Why is your ego absurd? Are you paid to ride your bicycle? Are others paid based upon your performance on a bicycle? Near as I can tell, you were on a recreational ride, and you crashed, and you kept riding. Good on you.

    One of the earliest lessons I learned hiking was "It is always easier to go back to the car." Hiking, like cycling, is as much or more mental as it is physical. It makes us all dig deeper than we might otherwise, and for that I say, good on all cyclists.
    I guess my perspective changed on July 24, 20014 when I crashed and came very close to dying or being paralyzed. I thought I knew what pain was and then I had 5 hr. and 4 hr. operations to fuse my cervical spine. Opiates were my friends. Over an hour of surgery to repair my nose, lip and around my eye. And the silly little 6 stitches in my hand. Ha! Got back home on August 1st and wore a brace for a couple months. Back on the cross back for a 25 mi. rail/trail ride the first week in November and a week later did a 32 mi. road ride with my club. From that perspective falling down and getting road rash is pretty insignificant.

  9. #59
    Bridge Burner RollCNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NY
    My Bikes
    Felt Rejected
    Posts
    7,183
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    I guess my perspective changed on July 24, 20014 when I crashed and came very close to dying or being paralyzed. I thought I knew what pain was and then I had 5 hr. and 4 hr. operations to fuse my cervical spine. Opiates were my friends. Over an hour of surgery to repair my nose, lip and around my eye. And the silly little 6 stitches in my hand. Ha! Got back home on August 1st and wore a brace for a couple months. Back on the cross back for a 25 mi. rail/trail ride the first week in November and a week later did a 32 mi. road ride with my club. From that perspective falling down and getting road rash is pretty insignificant.
    Glad you recovered! That sounds terrifying, and definitely perspective changing.

  10. #60
    Senior Member bruce19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
    My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Posts
    3,288
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RollCNY View Post
    Glad you recovered! That sounds terrifying, and definitely perspective changing.
    Thanks. After that I felt like I started a new life. This Thursday I will be off on a solo ride to celebrate (?) the one year marker. Thanks again.

  11. #61
    Bridge Burner RollCNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NY
    My Bikes
    Felt Rejected
    Posts
    7,183
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome. Despite my earlier posts, I am not a tool, I just play one on BF.

  12. #62
    Mostly Harmless rjones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chittenango, NY
    My Bikes
    Have two wheels
    Posts
    24,088
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @bruce19 is one tough hombre.
    Quote Originally Posted by truckstop View Post
    getting banned from trollheim. does that mean you win?

  13. #63
    Senior Member bruce19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
    My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Posts
    3,288
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RollCNY View Post
    You're welcome. Despite my earlier posts, I am not a tool, I just play one on BF.
    Don't we all?

  14. #64
    Senior Member bruce19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
    My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Posts
    3,288
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
    @bruce19 is one tough hombre.
    Still waiting for my NYT article.

  15. #65
    Mostly Harmless rjones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chittenango, NY
    My Bikes
    Have two wheels
    Posts
    24,088
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Okay. I finally read the article. It is unfortunate that, in the beginning of the article, the author chose to build up Talansky by trivializing other riders' ordeals (see paragraphs 4 and 5). It's a common narrative device, but I don't like it.

    I think Talansky showed fortitude by finishing the day. But to imply that Cavendish, Froome, and Contador are quitters ("...riders who had given up...") for abandoning because of injuries is kind of weak story telling.
    Quote Originally Posted by truckstop View Post
    getting banned from trollheim. does that mean you win?

  16. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    My Bikes
    Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike
    Posts
    1,741
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He suffered so he could pull out of the race. How inspiring. Not. Stupidity to me. Pull out, recover and avoid further injury and get ready for the next race. I don't find stupidity to be inspiring.

    Only think I liked about the article was reading the ****** hypocrites Contador and Froume had to pull out of the race.
    Last edited by zymphad; 07-21-14 at 11:17 AM.

  17. #67
    Senior Member longbeachgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Long Beach California
    My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Posts
    3,273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RollCNY View Post
    You're welcome. Despite my earlier posts, I am not a tool, I just play one on BF.
    And such a fine job you're doing.

  18. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    My Bikes
    Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike
    Posts
    1,741
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RollCNY View Post
    One of the earliest lessons I learned hiking was "It is always easier to go back to the car." Hiking, like cycling, is as much or more mental as it is physical. It makes us all dig deeper than we might otherwise, and for that I say, good on all cyclists.
    There is a difference between mental toughness and stupidity. Being mentally tough to continue pushing even though your body and lungs are screaming in pain from exertion is one thing. But to continue to suffer after suffering an injury and can potentially worsen your condition is stupid. Far better to quit to prevent a minor injury that could be remedied with some days off and having it become something that will require months of rehab, surgery etc so you can play hero is plain stupid.

    But then maybe this article was just a fictional story. If Talansky really did injure his back, hips and knees which you would further injure by continuing to ride, then Talansky was not inspiring to me, he was a moron. And as you say, he's a pro, with money and job on the line. Why risk your job when you're young and have a long career head of you? Garmin-Sharpe wasn't going to fire him for pulling out after injuring his back, knee and hips...

    But then I suspect this article was fluff, exaggeration and so on to glorify Talansky. Here is hoping we find out he was doping 3-5 years from now. Maybe that will make the reporter cry.
    Last edited by zymphad; 07-21-14 at 11:51 AM.

  19. #69
    Bridge Burner RollCNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NY
    My Bikes
    Felt Rejected
    Posts
    7,183
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
    And such a fine job you're doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shoveller
    God gave me a gift. I shovel well.
    From Mystery Men

  20. #70
    has a Large Member Campag4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,037
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    With that ride Andrew Talansky went beyond the sphere of the tough cyclist into a space reserved for the triumph of the human spirit. That is a place where one's known boundaries of human endeavor are transcended and is available to all of us no matter how "small" we think our journey is. He gives us hope and expands our definition of "possibility." In the face of despair and defeat this is what a hero does.
    While I give you that Talansky is to be credited for what you call 'heroship' or hero status...I don't see him as any greater than the other guys in the peloton. They are all simply amazing athletes with lion hearts. Nobody can even compete in that race without being off the scale in terms of bravery and sacrifice. For example, you didn't even mention Contador. I will. He broke his tibia in the now infamous crash, got taped up and rode out of the saddle to catch the peloton when he could no longer ride. Probably none of us know anybody that brave.

    To me, they are all warriors and why we watch. They put it all on line. Heat, freezing cold, rain deluges that turn roads in ice skating rinks, 60 mph descents when roads are slippery, cobbles unlike any that we see in the US, mountains most of us can't even climb let alone race.... all why hauling ass and trying to stay upright over 3 weeks and 2000 miles. To me they are all heroic. The TdF this year I admit has really drawn me in. It has been just spectacular.

  21. #71
    has a Large Member Campag4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,037
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    I'm on the fence as to whether finishing the stage was courageous or stupid...or maybe both. If all it did was exacerbate his injury and delay/prolong recovery, wouldn't that be stupid? It did garner more media coverage for the team sponsors, and perhaps (questionably) raised his esteem among his peers, so does that qualify it as courageous?
    I believe that is basically what the guy in the team car was telling him for about 5 minutes.

  22. #72
    Senior Member bruce19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
    My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Posts
    3,288
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
    While I give you that Talansky is to be credited for what you call 'heroship' or hero status...I don't see him as any greater than the other guys in the peloton. They are all simply amazing athletes with lion hearts. Nobody can even compete in that race without being off the scale in terms of bravery and sacrifice. For example, you didn't even mention Contador.
    I responded to the original topic and that was Talansky. But, you apparently missed another comment I made: "And, similar acts by other riders are of similar character. They are to be commended and we all should take their acts as guides for our own lives...."

  23. #73
    has a Large Member Campag4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,037
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    I responded to the original topic and that was Talansky. But, you apparently missed another comment I made: "And, similar acts by other riders are of similar character. They are to be commended and we all should take their acts as guides for our own lives...."
    That's OK. I just don't believe Talansky is any more special than his fellow racers when it comes to bravery and continuing on. I have a different view of courage. Even the guy who got stuck in a crevice when mountain climbing who cut off his arm to escape did so to survive. Some call this courage and others a will to survive and some would call this instinct. Many of the guys racing in the TdF as they approach week three are really banged up and most of us wouldn't ride under those conditions. They are simply the best of the best...all of them.

  24. #74
    Senior Member bruce19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
    My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Posts
    3,288
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
    That's OK. I just don't believe Talansky is any more special than his fellow racers when it comes to bravery and continuing on. I have a different view of courage. Even the guy who got stuck in a crevice when mountain climbing who cut off his arm to escape did so to survive. Some call this courage and others a will to survive and some would call this instinct. Many of the guys racing in the TdF as they approach week three are really banged up and most of us wouldn't ride under those conditions. They are simply the best of the best...all of them.
    I don't disagree. But, when you see that kind of determination it is important to acknowledge it IMO. All of them... as you suggest. I have no problem with that. I think it may have been Greg LeMond who once said "To win the Tour you must know how to suffer." Having played football through college I thought I knew what that meant but I really discovered it's meaning when I started cycling. Strangely I enjoy pushing myself beyond my limits even at age 68. It's actually one of the primary reasons I ride. Makes me feel like an athlete again.

  25. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    My Bikes
    Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike
    Posts
    1,741
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll acknowledge Talansky is a moron if the article is not hogwash exaggeration. And he's not working harder than his teammates, if it weren't them, he would suck. They do most of the work for him... His job is to just finish, which he failed.

    I'll be happy when the younger riders take over the scene. Contador, Froume, Wiggins, they need to be buried. Sick of Team Sky and Astana. F them.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •