Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    troglodyte ryan_c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    the tunnels
    My Bikes
    Soma DoubleCross, Surly Steamroller, various others
    Posts
    1,284
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK guys, I've browsed through the CX forum a bit (I spend more time other forums) and I didn't come across anything like this right away, so my apologies if this has already been discussed ad nauseum.

    Here's my situation: I ordered a Monk frame from Soul Cycles on closeout for $130 on thursday or so. Just tonight they notified me that they are out of stock in my size. They may have more in late august when they repaint the frames with botched finishes or something like that, but no promises.

    This is quite the bummer since I already ordered some Paul touring canti's and CX levers, a headset, and a stem.

    So I'm looking to get a cross frame without dumping a lot of cash. I'm looking for something that is more classic looking. I am familiar with the Surly Crosscheck, which is nice, and especially affordable since I work in a bike shop (QBP deals all the Surly stuff). I'm REALLY digging the Soma Doublecross, but it's about $470 for frame and fork, not including shipping. Spicer has a nice Al CX frame for $350, powdercoated in "any stock color", no fork.

    So bottom line, what other companies (smaller ones?) make a cross frame that isn't going to break the bank, and is NOT painted safety orange or some other loud color? (something like black or a dark green, or similar preferred)

    I am looking for a frame alone, not a built bike. Sub-$500 is mandatory. Sub-$400 is ideal. Sub-$300 is friggin awesome as long as it doesn't suck.

    This bike will be used for 1-3 day rides/tours on crushed limestone, road, and possibly dirt paths.
    Last edited by ryan_c; 08-08-05 at 10:49 PM.

  2. #2
    Ink-Stained Wretch pinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,731
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check out fetish cycles on ebay...or any frame on ebay, nothing spectacular but decent. (though the fetish is supposed to have a fixed derailler hanger...which I see as a problem for a cross bike but...)

  3. #3
    Macaws Rock! michaelnel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    My Bikes
    2005 Soma Doublecross
    Posts
    1,513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_c
    I'm REALLY digging the Soma Doublecross, but it's about $470 for frame and fork, not including shipping.
    I can't help you with the pricing, but I have a Double Cross I built up a couple months ago and I've really been enjoying it. The only downside is that the paint chips easily, but what the heck, it's my commuter / all-rounder, so I don't really care.
    ---

    San Francisco, California

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    211
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky
    check out fetish cycles on ebay...or any frame on ebay, nothing spectacular but decent. (though the fetish is supposed to have a fixed derailler hanger...which I see as a problem for a cross bike but...)
    i think the fetish is also meant for MTB cranks and v-brakes...and the cable mounts are on the *underside* of the TT -- again, a little weird for a cx bike but maybe fine for a commuter.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey Ryan
    i'm with helimec05 the Redline is the way to go! hands down!!
    dan...

  6. #6
    troglodyte ryan_c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    the tunnels
    My Bikes
    Soma DoubleCross, Surly Steamroller, various others
    Posts
    1,284
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, thanks for the input guys.
    The Fetish is cool, but it looks like I would have to wait who knows how long for my size to come up on ebay (I know there's that one dude who just sells the Fetish bikes for cheap)
    As for the redline... I know its a good frame (and that is a helluva price), but its awfully... RED.
    No offense to anyone, but its possibly my least favorite color for bikes, although yellow is in close competition.

    After all my searching, I think a friend may be able to help me get a good price on a doublecross, so I'm going to build one in the British racing green color, natural cork tape, honey brooks saddle, silver components... see where I'm going with this? I guess I'm more of a "classic tourer" kind of guy.
    If I get the frame, I'll update on the build later. I'm excited to get going on my first 'cross bike.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_c
    OK guys, I've browsed through the CX forum a bit (I spend more time other forums) and I didn't come across anything like this right away, so my apologies if this has already been discussed ad nauseum.

    Here's my situation: I ordered a Monk frame from Soul Cycles on closeout for $130 on thursday or so. Just tonight they notified me that they are out of stock in my size. They may have more in late august when they repaint the frames with botched finishes or something like that, but no promises.

    This is quite the bummer since I already ordered some Paul touring canti's and CX levers, a headset, and a stem.

    So I'm looking to get a cross frame without dumping a lot of cash. I'm looking for something that is more classic looking. I am familiar with the Surly Crosscheck, which is nice, and especially affordable since I work in a bike shop (QBP deals all the Surly stuff). I'm REALLY digging the Soma Doublecross, but it's about $470 for frame and fork, not including shipping. Spicer has a nice Al CX frame for $350, powdercoated in "any stock color", no fork.

    So bottom line, what other companies (smaller ones?) make a cross frame that isn't going to break the bank, and is NOT painted safety orange or some other loud color? (something like black or a dark green, or similar preferred)

    I am looking for a frame alone, not a built bike. Sub-$500 is mandatory. Sub-$400 is ideal. Sub-$300 is friggin awesome as long as it doesn't suck.

    This bike will be used for 1-3 day rides/tours on crushed limestone, road, and possibly dirt paths.


    Shop deal on the cross-check would be very tough (impossible?) to beat... and would work great for your rides.

    marc

  8. #8
    hateful little monkey jim-bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    oakland, ca
    Posts
    5,274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_c
    Hey, thanks for the input guys.
    The Fetish is cool, but it looks like I would have to wait who knows how long for my size to come up on ebay (I know there's that one dude who just sells the Fetish bikes for cheap)
    As for the redline... I know its a good frame (and that is a helluva price), but its awfully... RED.
    No offense to anyone, but its possibly my least favorite color for bikes, although yellow is in close competition.

    After all my searching, I think a friend may be able to help me get a good price on a doublecross, so I'm going to build one in the British racing green color, natural cork tape, honey brooks saddle, silver components... see where I'm going with this? I guess I'm more of a "classic tourer" kind of guy.
    If I get the frame, I'll update on the build later. I'm excited to get going on my first 'cross bike.
    If you're a shop rat, it might be worth giving merry sales a call and seeing what they can do for you on a soma for personal use. They've always seemed pretty nice to me.

  9. #9
    troglodyte ryan_c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    the tunnels
    My Bikes
    Soma DoubleCross, Surly Steamroller, various others
    Posts
    1,284
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim-bob
    If you're a shop rat, it might be worth giving merry sales a call and seeing what they can do for you on a soma for personal use. They've always seemed pretty nice to me.
    Actually, I'm having a friend at another shop do exactly that. He has dealt with Merry Sales quite a bit, so I'll let him figure it out. I don't think we have dealt with Merry Sales at all. Maybe, I dunno. I'm just a wrench. Plus, his shop is a Soma dealer which I thought might not hurt. Either way, I'm probably getting it at wholesale, so I can't complain. Otherwise, yeah the Surly would probably be the best for my use, but I didn't want a third Surly in the garage

    The first installment of parts came today, Paul touring canti's, cross levers, salsa stem, WTB headset, and got a wheelset from a co-worker for a very good price. I think I'm going to go drool over my Paul stuff for a while...

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    call fetish directly. Ignore the prices on the website. the CX frame I called about is 799 on the site. When I called they told me 199. Cant hurt to call and ask the prices if you like them.

    www.fetishcycles.com

    Fetish Cycles CX Bike, The Ankh
    I'm still young, I have lots of riding and drinking left to do !

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    211
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you are interested in SS you cant go wrong with the IRO rob roy

    http://www.irocycle.com/id111.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •