Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Recreational Cyclocross and Gravelbiking This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-25-07, 10:54 PM   #1
iansir
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seattle
Bikes: Giant TCR2
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

I know what Motobecane is, I know what I'm getting into, this thread isnt about that.

What do you think of the bike? I am a bit concerned about the frame - I am mainly looking for a rain bike with full fenders (this is the northwest and i will ride it nearly half the year, mostly base miles). Here is the link:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._cross_pro.htm
Clearly a good deal on parts alone, just skeptical on the frame, looking for someone to egg me on before I order it
iansir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-07, 01:50 AM   #2
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I didn't get very many answers when I posted about it. Anyone try a Motobecane Cross I still think it's a good bike and might buy one. Good luck

Tim
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-07, 07:39 AM   #3
kmoses
GADawg
 
kmoses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: Salsa Ala Carte, Kona Jake
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't own one so I can't speak to their reliability, but at that price I say go for it. That's an awesome component package for the price and if the frame goes to crap you can just pickup another on ebay (kona,cannondale, giant, etc.),throw the old components on it. I've got a Kona Jake with tiagra/sora that cost $200 less than that motobecane. FYI, I've seen red motobecanes fantoms on ebay with 105 components for around $550.
kmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-07, 08:36 AM   #4
scattered73
Justin
 
scattered73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bayou City
Bikes: Soma Double Cross, KHS Urban Uno
Posts: 1,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansir
I know what Motobecane is, I know what I'm getting into, this thread isnt about that.

What do you think of the bike? I am a bit concerned about the frame - I am mainly looking for a rain bike with full fenders (this is the northwest and i will ride it nearly half the year, mostly base miles). Here is the link:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._cross_pro.htm
Clearly a good deal on parts alone, just skeptical on the frame, looking for someone to egg me on before I order it
I have the fantom cross, not the pro and love it. I am 6ft and have the 58cm don't know if that helps. I think that the pro has rack eyelets on the rear end as where mine only has it on the front . Yesterday I was hit with a pretty good down pour on my 40 mile ride and it took it great, hell I took a detour through a dirt(mud at that point) trail just for the fun of it, was already soaked might as well play.
scattered73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-07, 03:18 PM   #5
bikesdirect_com
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by scattered73
I have the fantom cross, not the pro and love it. I am 6ft and have the 58cm don't know if that helps. I think that the pro has rack eyelets on the rear end as where mine only has it on the front . Yesterday I was hit with a pretty good down pour on my 40 mile ride and it took it great, hell I took a detour through a dirt(mud at that point) trail just for the fun of it, was already soaked might as well play.

I can help you out on this

This frame is the exact same quality as you find on a cross bike from Fuji, Felt, Kona, Redline, Giant, Specialized. There is exactlt zero difference in quality between Motobecane and these; this is a known fact in the cycling industry. No one in the know would debate that there is a quality difference in this frames.

Specs I think speak for themselves and we are selling this bike faster than we forecast [same with Fantom Cross].

mike
bikesdirect_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-07, 06:16 PM   #6
iansir
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seattle
Bikes: Giant TCR2
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I busted out the credit card and ordered, we'll see how it goes!
iansir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-07, 08:41 PM   #7
scattered73
Justin
 
scattered73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bayou City
Bikes: Soma Double Cross, KHS Urban Uno
Posts: 1,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansir
Well I busted out the credit card and ordered, we'll see how it goes!
Have fun with it, just took mine for 70 miles today on road/off road today. It truly fits me well I hardly if ever get sore. Over 2300 miles to date on it.
scattered73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 08:10 AM   #8
MillCreek
BF Risk Manager
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Snohomish County, Washington USA
Bikes: Road, mountain and folding
Posts: 894
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Mike, somewhat off topic here, but I am still looking forward to some commuter bikes from you. I participated in the thread last year in which you were soliciting input. Do you have anything you are able to report on this?
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 05:54 AM   #9
bikesdirect_com
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillCreek
Mike, somewhat off topic here, but I am still looking forward to some commuter bikes from you. I participated in the thread last year in which you were soliciting input. Do you have anything you are able to report on this?
commuter bikes are a special interest of mine
but it seems all commuters like something different

so I am having rack brazeons and eyelets put on most bikes that could be good for commuting

WINDSOR - TOURIST, THE HOUR, LEEDS, DOVER

MERCIER - GALAXY, CORVUS

MOTOBECANE - OUTCASTs, FANTOM CROSS, MIRAGE SPORT, RECORD, 300HT

DAWES - LIGHTINGS SPORT [TONS OF PEOPLE COMMUTE ON THIS $200 BIKE WITH STEM SHIFTERS]
LIGHTING 1000 & 1200

I can not get a good handle on one design that most commuters like -- but the Single speed bikes are popular for that and of course the Galaxy -- Cross bikes also getting popular for commters
bikesdirect_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-07, 10:09 AM   #10
MillCreek
BF Risk Manager
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Snohomish County, Washington USA
Bikes: Road, mountain and folding
Posts: 894
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Actually, I have thought that the Motobecane Cafe Noir, and Cafe Latte, with a good fender, rack and lighting setup, would make excellent commuter bikes.
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:52 AM.