Help me justify the purchase of a carbon fork (yes I am racing my bike once built). I'm thinking about buying one yet a few things are holding me back which are:
- damage rate / chipping / scratches / denting
- concerns about durability, cracking / splitting
pros to a carbon fork:
- durable (but how durable)
- is only double the cost of a steel fork (100$ as opposed to 50$)
cons to me buying a carbon fork:
- does not seem justifiable yet
- I have a 1" unthreaded headset and finding a all carbon 1" threadless fork without an integrated headset piece is a bit harder
- because of the above statement it also limits the interchangability for me or limits me to buying 1" threadless frames
- if it were a 1" steel or aluminum fork I would care less about hell I put the bike through.
so knowing those facts, please help me justify as to why I should or should not buy one. Why did you buy one?