Cool Frame Choices
I am building my first CX bike for this season and already have a full Ultegra mix with Open Pros. Like most, I don't want to spend alot of money on this project, but I want a frame I will be happy with down the road. I have played the upgrade game, and while it is fun, it is just more expensive in the long run. I have looked at several frames for the build and am making my choice next week. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on any of these frames, or any others you might suggest. Bike will be for winter training for next years road season and a couple of CX races this year. I am addicted to steel, but would consider alloy with a carbon fork. All choices are brand new.
1) 2004 Lemond Poprad (Alloy Fork) $499
2) 2002 Lemond Poprad (Steel Fork) $350
3) 2003 Gunnar Crosshair (frame and fork) $830
4) 2002 Airborne Carpe Diem (frame & fork) $899
5) 2004 Bianchi Euro steel CX (frame & fork) $599
6) 2003 Soma Fabrications CX (frame & fork) $375
I am leaning towards the 2004 Lemond Poprad or the 2004 Bianchi CX. The Poprad is Reynolds 853 and the Bianchi is their Euro steel tubing that they have used in their steel road bikes. Anyway, the cool thing is how many choices are out there and that the bicycle makers are starting to catch on.