Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Slippery Urethane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    My Bikes
    2013 Ridley Noah, 2011 Ridley X-Fire, 2008 Scott Addict R2, 2007 Scott Cross Comp, 2004 Stumpjumper M4 Pro HT, 1996 Salsa La Raza, 1990 Schwinn Predator
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Best Bars for CX?

    Hi...I'm building up my first CX bike and was wonding which bars are best based on shape and materials...any specifics which are best, ie, aluminum vs. carbon, std (round) vs. wing?

    I know it's a matter of what we're used to for the most part however aspects such as carbon's dampening vs. fragility I'm sure are a factor as no one enjoys snapping a bar mid-race even if it gives your hands a break.

    Any experience/feedback would be most appreciated!

  2. #2
    Senior Member meanwhile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not tried these, but they have a cult following over here in the UK - On One Midge Bars:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=82928

    http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/ar...N=1788&SP=&v=1







    As you can see, very different to regular drops. Riders here use them for mountain biking and single speed road bikes as well as cyclo. Control and shock absorption are said to be outstanding. I'm told they're quite like the design of the bars on early randeour bikes, when even a lot of the TDF took place on unpaved roads. I'm planning to put them on my Sirrus hack-bike, and then if I like them on the Cotic Roadrat or Uncle John I'm ordering later this year.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,965
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The typical idea would be a flared and shallower bar. Idea being (I guess) that aerodynamics is relatively less important in cross vs road. The typical example is the Salsa Bell Lap bar:


    I run a Salsa Short n Shallow bar, very similar but no flare, I am happy with it.

  4. #4
    Perineal Pressurized dobber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In Ebritated
    Posts
    6,557
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meanwhile View Post
    As you can see, very different to regular drops. Riders here use them for mountain biking and single speed road bikes as well as cyclo. Control and shock absorption are said to be outstanding. I'm told they're quite like the design of the bars on early randeour bikes, when even a lot of the TDF took place on unpaved roads. I'm planning to put them on my Sirrus hack-bike, and then if I like them on the Cotic Roadrat or Uncle John I'm ordering later this year.
    On-One Midge bars are fantastic, but the trick is to mount them up as high as possible, almost to the point that the drops are at a level equivalent to where you'd usually ride the flats.


    This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a set of 44 cm Bell Laps as everyone I talked to loves them. I am racing though and find them too wide. I am planning to ride the same bars that are on my road bike this season. Traditional bend al. Ritchey WCS 42 cm bars. I hope i do not miss the flare of the Bell Laps.

  6. #6
    Senior Member meanwhile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dobber View Post
    On-One Midge bars are fantastic, but the trick is to mount them up as high as possible, almost to the point that the drops are at a level equivalent to where you'd usually ride the flats.
    Yes. One of the things that seems to win people over is that riding in the drops becomes the dominant position, and it's incredibly secure and ergonomic, due to the flare built into the bars. Getting up on the hoods becomes the equivalent of using extensions on MTB bars - a very high leverage position for out of the seat sprinting, but not one you use for long. The other thing to say is that the flaring makes Midges very wide - about 54cm???

  7. #7
    Don't smoke, Mike. shapelike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy
    Posts
    3,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the Bell Laps are actually all that shallow ... compare the drop w/ some other bars and they look pretty standard. This year I'm going to try out the FSA Wing Pro Shallows. Last year I used some of the Ritchey Pro Biomax II bars. Both of those are shallow bars w/ various funky shapes to make things more comfortable (in theory).

  8. #8
    antisocialite dirtyphotons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,385
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fwiw, i like regular old road drops. one size wider than on my road bike. it's very much a matter of preference.

    my recommendation would be to find some cheapo bars and stems and experiement.

    edit: also fwiw, i would not race with carbon bars. this is a really contentious topic and i really don't want to open up a carbon vs. no carbon debate, but for handlebars i don't see the reward (some vibration dampening and a few grams of weight) to outweigh the risks (more abrupt failure mode). plus i don't want to spring for a new pair of carbon bars every time i crash.
    Last edited by dirtyphotons; 06-24-08 at 06:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
    Because when fashion conflicts with function, I vote for function.

  9. #9
    The mods changed this... damocles1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bars are very personal. What works for one person may feel like crap to another. You rarely see wacky bar set-ups IN races.
    When I'm putting a cross bike together for someone, I tell them to use the same bar as they do on their road bike. The biggest issue I had when going back and forth between the road and CX bikes was the difference in the bars. Same bars on both bike...no issue.
    Some folks can't tell a difference though, and short reach/shallow drop CX bars work fine for them.

    Get a bar that works for YOU!

  10. #10
    Banned. El Diablo Rojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ATX, Ex So Cal
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu
    Posts
    11,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by damocles1 View Post
    Bars are very personal. What works for one person may feel like crap to another. You rarely see wacky bar set-ups IN races.
    When I'm putting a cross bike together for someone, I tell them to use the same bar as they do on their road bike. The biggest issue I had when going back and forth between the road and CX bikes was the difference in the bars. Same bars on both bike...no issue.
    Some folks can't tell a difference though, and short reach/shallow drop CX bars work fine for them.

    Get a bar that works for YOU!
    damocles I just bought my first cross bike, I am setting it up with the same controls as my road bike but with less of a drop. Is this how you set yours up?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,965
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo View Post
    damocles I just bought my first cross bike, I am setting it up with the same controls as my road bike but with less of a drop. Is this how you set yours up?
    Adam Myerson has some advice:
    http://www.cycle-smart.com/coaching/...rossbike1.html
    that can be distilled as (1) run the saddle anywhere from road bike height to 1cm lower and (2) flip the stem up.

  12. #12
    4 letter tirade
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    8 blocks west of the Sears Tower
    My Bikes
    Soon to be owner of a matching pair of Rock Lobster CX machines, Kelly Deluxe, Bianchi Commuter, Waterford R22
    Posts
    541
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was building my bike up last summer I was debating changing bars and getting carbon ones. After looking into it a little deeper, I found I was going to pay 3 or 4 times more for a carbon bar that does not way any less than the aluminum bars i was already running. Racing for an hour, I wasn't worried a whole lot about any vibration issues, the race is going to hurt one way or another anyway. I'd personally stay away from winged bars, the awkward hand position, plus mud and wet conditions spells disaster in my mind if you need to use the tops of your bars for anything. I liked the little bit of flair in the bell laps because it made it easier for me to grab the end of the bars once the bike was on my shoulder....

    just my opinion, I think most of what is said above from others is good advice

  13. #13
    Banned. El Diablo Rojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ATX, Ex So Cal
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu
    Posts
    11,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flargle View Post
    Adam Myerson has some advice:
    http://www.cycle-smart.com/coaching/...rossbike1.html
    that can be distilled as (1) run the saddle anywhere from road bike height to 1cm lower and (2) flip the stem up.
    That's pretty much how I'm going. I'm going to leave the stem 'unflipped' as I will have 1.5cm more stack height. If that doesn't work then I'll flip it.

  14. #14
    Slippery Urethane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    My Bikes
    2013 Ridley Noah, 2011 Ridley X-Fire, 2008 Scott Addict R2, 2007 Scott Cross Comp, 2004 Stumpjumper M4 Pro HT, 1996 Salsa La Raza, 1990 Schwinn Predator
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great advice...thanks everyone!

    I'll post pics of it when completed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •