Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,548
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    my first cx bike! (pic included)

    so, i recently acquired my first sx bike. i think i got a REALLY good deal. i like the bike a lot so far. however...some people have gotten me worried that the frame is too big for based on how low my seat post is. but i have a hair of standover clearance...which is fine by me. and my top tube is shorter than my roadbike toptube. the seat-tube is a bit longer than my roadbike seat-tube.

    so far, it hasn't felt uncomfortable. any thoughts?

    here she is! 2007 Blue CX6.5 with Ultegra/105 mix! wish i could have take a better pic...i'll try later...


  2. #2
    Bike rider Elisdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SW Chicago suburbs
    My Bikes
    Redline D460, Redline Monocog Flight 29er, IRO Rob Roy, Specialized P1
    Posts
    353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks awfully nice, but it's too clean.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh, UK
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bike.

    Are you confident that the saddle is at the right height? If yes and you are comfortable, don't worry about it. If you're not sure, Sheldon Brown has advice on what the correct height should be http://sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html#height

    Have fun.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,964
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by celerystalksme View Post
    so, i recently acquired my first sx bike. i think i got a REALLY good deal. i like the bike a lot so far. however...some people have gotten me worried that the frame is too big for based on how low my seat post is. but i have a hair of standover clearance...which is fine by me. and my top tube is shorter than my roadbike toptube. the seat-tube is a bit longer than my roadbike seat-tube.
    Based on the headtube, I'm guessing you are a petite person? The sizing of these bikes with 700c wheels is always a bit different than the more standard sizes. IMO standover is irrelevant if the distance between the contact points is correct.

    The bars look higher than the saddle. Is this the way it is on your road bike? You could easily lower them with using fewers spacers or a different stem, if that's what you want.

    Blue is a nice bike. Congrats!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe you can lower the handlebars by flipping the headset over?

    Also, you got that on eBay didn't you? I think I bid on that one.

  6. #6
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,548
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rlivermore View Post
    I believe you can lower the handlebars by flipping the headset over?

    Also, you got that on eBay didn't you? I think I bid on that one.
    i didn't bid on it the first time he listed it. it didn't sell. he relisted it again and i just used 'buy it now' before anyone bid. with the ebay special offer, i paid $810. not bad for a bike that was $2000+ when new. i talked to the guy...the bike was his friends. she won it at a cx race. she took it out for one test ride...decided she didn't need the bike, liked her seven mudhoney better and gave it to her friend to sell for whatever he could get. so yeah...for all intents and purposes, it's a brand new 2007 Blue CX6.5. flawless...not a single scratch or sign of use.

    ebay and craigslist have been very kind to me!

  7. #7
    powerfully luxurious chimivee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Orange, CA
    Posts
    2,417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rlivermore View Post
    I believe you can lower the handlebars by flipping the headset over?
    Bad idea.
    - James

  8. #8
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,548
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i could remove a spacer and flip the stem to get my bars lower. but i hear cx riders generally ride more upright than roadies...that's why i did that...?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,964
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by celerystalksme View Post
    i could remove a spacer and flip the stem to get my bars lower. but i hear cx riders generally ride more upright than roadies...that's why i did that...?
    http://cyclocrossworld.com/Tech.cfm?...ShowDisabled=0

  10. #10
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,548
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting...

    i think i'll have to move my seat back for sure...drop my bars for sure...and maybe lower my seat by another hair...

    thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •