Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Recreational Cyclocross and Gravelbiking This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-08, 12:39 PM   #1
cs1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Cross cranks

Has anyone used a 110 triple crank minus the granny gear? I've always liked the look of Sugino XD and the old Deore cranks. I'm sure I'd have to use a smaller BB to keep the chainline correct.

Tim
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-08, 12:50 PM   #2
cachehiker
Soma Lover
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Logan, UT
Bikes: one bike for every day of the week
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.yellowjersey.org/crankcut.html

http://www.velo-orange.com/suxddocr.html

I believe the true doubles use a 110mm BB just like the triples. A converted triple would work better with a 107mm.

No. I've not personally used one except for a test ride on a Bianchi Axis but I likewise love the old school look. I'm using an Ultegra 6500 with 38-48 chainrings for the same reason and because it's available in a 167.5mm for better clearance.

Last edited by cachehiker; 07-16-08 at 01:18 PM.
cachehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-08, 04:28 PM   #3
cs1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachehiker View Post
http://www.yellowjersey.org/crankcut.html

http://www.velo-orange.com/suxddocr.html

I believe the true doubles use a 110mm BB just like the triples. A converted triple would work better with a 107mm.

No. I've not personally used one except for a test ride on a Bianchi Axis but I likewise love the old school look. I'm using an Ultegra 6500 with 38-48 chainrings for the same reason and because it's available in a 167.5mm for better clearance.
Why would have to mill of the granny ring bosses? They don't protrude far enough to interfere with anything. The new compact double with black rings looks really nice.
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-08, 07:45 PM   #4
Lord Chambers
Senior Member
 
Lord Chambers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm confused, what is the advantage of buying a triple and turning it into a double?
Lord Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-08, 04:06 AM   #5
mrtornadohead
dork. yup.
 
mrtornadohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ohio
Bikes: Trek xo2, Fuji Cross Pro, Schwinn Traveler cross-conversion, Concours, Trek 2300, Takara, Specialized Hard Rock, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, GT LTS Team issue, BikeE, Miyata 110, and some others. Somewhere.
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cs1 - I run this all the time. In fact, I was running a compact double on old 110 bcd cranks about 6 years ago, before it was "cool" or even called "compact double," mainly because I wanted lower gears and was too cheap to go to a triple at the time (48-34 rings).

I run several old Shimano and Sugino 110 bcd cranks that had the bosses to be used as a triple and the only thing you may need is a bottom bracket with a shorter spindle, or just use a shorter spindle if you use an old cup-and-cone bottom bracket. Easy enough. I find absolutely no difference between a crank designed as a double and a crank designed as a triple running only two rings.
mrtornadohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-08, 09:20 PM   #6
climbhoser
Senior Member
 
climbhoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, CO
Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck; '91 Cannondale 3.0
Posts: 1,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cs1 I have a Sugino XD500 Compact Double set in 175 brand spankin' new if you're interested. Can't think of a better 'cross crankset. pm me if ya like.
climbhoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-08, 04:14 AM   #7
cs1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtornadohead View Post
cs1 - I run this all the time. In fact, I was running a compact double on old 110 bcd cranks about 6 years ago, before it was "cool" or even called "compact double," mainly because I wanted lower gears and was too cheap to go to a triple at the time (48-34 rings).

I run several old Shimano and Sugino 110 bcd cranks that had the bosses to be used as a triple and the only thing you may need is a bottom bracket with a shorter spindle, or just use a shorter spindle if you use an old cup-and-cone bottom bracket. Easy enough. I find absolutely no difference between a crank designed as a double and a crank designed as a triple running only two rings.
How much shorter of a BB would you need? My Deore is a 122.5mm BB and the XT crank I have is I believe about 117mm. Shimano used to stock every imaginable size BB spindle. Now they have considerabely less.
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 02:32 PM   #8
mrtornadohead
dork. yup.
 
mrtornadohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ohio
Bikes: Trek xo2, Fuji Cross Pro, Schwinn Traveler cross-conversion, Concours, Trek 2300, Takara, Specialized Hard Rock, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, GT LTS Team issue, BikeE, Miyata 110, and some others. Somewhere.
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cs1 - sorry for the delay getting back to you. When I run a triple as a double, usually I go with a bottom bracket at 110 or 107 mm. Usually I try to go with the 107. Works just fine.
mrtornadohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 01:37 PM   #9
dirtyphotons
antisocialite
 
dirtyphotons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 3,385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cs1, the reason you want to grind those bosses off if you can, is because if the chain does fall off, it can get stuck in the crevice between the bb shell and the bosses and is a huuuuuge pain to get out. can lose you minutes in a race, i'd avoid at all costs.
dirtyphotons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 04:49 AM   #10
cs1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyphotons View Post
cs1, the reason you want to grind those bosses off if you can, is because if the chain does fall off, it can get stuck in the crevice between the bb shell and the bosses and is a huuuuuge pain to get out. can lose you minutes in a race, i'd avoid at all costs.
Never thought about that. I have an old Takagi that doesn't have bosses. It uses spacers instead. That would probably make a better choice.
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:06 AM.