Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Racing cross with flat bars?

    What do you guys think about flat bars and cross bikes?

    I know it's banned from UCI races, but I see them once in awhile in amateur race photos.

    I got a used Surly Cross Check that came with a Shimano XT group, thumb shifters, and risers. I feel quite comfortable on them, but I've read that I'm really missing out since I only have one hand position.

    I'd like to try it, but, I'm happy with what I have now. I'm not sure if I'll like it, and it would be a bit of an investment if I were to experiment with it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,963
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using flat bars makes sense for cross.

    There are at least three hand positions you can use. 1. The usual. 2. Hands near stem. 3. Hands on bar-ends (as if you had bar-end extensions).

    Watch the pros race cross. They spend 99% of their time in the same place (hoods), and the other 1% is in the hooks for steep descents because grabbing the levers is most secure there.

    Thomas Frischknecht got a second place in 1996 Cross Worlds using flat bars before the UCI required drop bars. See
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONGYDR7STA8 @ 5:36. I've read that Liggett was predicting the flat bars would be a handicap in the sprint for second place; Frischknecht then proceeds to outsprint Luca Bramati.

  3. #3
    nowheels
    Guest
    I believe that bar-ends are not allowed in cross racing

  4. #4
    antisocialite dirtyphotons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,385
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nowheels View Post
    I believe that bar-ends are not allowed in cross racing
    right. flargle was saying hands on the end of straight bars, as if they were there.

    lots of guys run flat bars, and some do really well. doesn't seem to be much of a disadvantage, if at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
    Because when fashion conflicts with function, I vote for function.

  5. #5
    M_S
    M_S is offline
    All Mod Cons M_S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Face down in a snowbank
    My Bikes
    K2 Enemey Cyclocross franken build; Redline D660 29er, Volpe SS Cross
    Posts
    3,694
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more techy the course, the more it makes sense. You may only really have a disadvantage on fast/dry courses or ones with lots of pavement, where drafting and higher speeds enter into the equation. Or if it's a really windy day.

  6. #6
    Senior Member c_m_shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Paradise, TX
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross Check, Redline Monocog 29er, Generic Track bike, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker
    Posts
    1,517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UCI alows flat bar as long as there are no bar ends I believe.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.
    May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,963
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c_m_shooter View Post
    UCI alows flat bar as long as there are no bar ends I believe.
    The UCI does not allow flat bars for cyclocross. Section 1.3.022:
    http://www.uci.ch/english/about/rules_2004/ch01.pdf
    As I wrote earlier in this thread, Frischknecht rode flat bars before they were disallowed by the UCI.

    This rule, of course, only applies to UCI-sanctioned races. I have never heard of flat bars being forbidden in non-UCI races.

  8. #8
    Senior Member TexasKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Flo Mo, TX
    My Bikes
    '08 Specialized Tricross, '05 Haro MTB, '94 Raliegh M-30, et al.
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote for hands on the ends of the bars. It's always been the most comfortable and natural feeling for me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •