Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Recreational Cyclocross and Gravelbiking This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-13, 11:54 AM   #126
bigbenaugust 
derailleurs are overrated
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,974
I get a little toe strike with the 175s, but I also do on my Fantom CX with 172.5s, so it's a matter of coordination for me.

There is a compatible 170mm 110mm BCD origin8 crankset sitting in my parts bin. I could do the swap, but a) it's chrome and not black, and b) at least mathematically, the shorter cranks would slow it down a little more.
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: openSUSE Leap - LinuxMint Debian Edition 2 - Mac OS 10.6 - Android 4.4 - CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-13, 12:11 PM   #127
aquateen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: CAAD10 5, Trek 1000 Alpha Series
Posts: 623
got my uno this week and so far i love it. hopefully ill put some miles on it this weekend and dial in the fit.
aquateen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-13, 12:21 PM   #128
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 5,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
There is a compatible 170mm 110mm BCD origin8 crankset sitting in my parts bin. I could do the swap, but a) it's chrome and not black, and b) at least mathematically, the shorter cranks would slow it down a little more.
i don't have the orange one but i think the white one looks better with a silver crank.. i actually think the more silver, the better, since it tends to make the decals less obvious

i'm not really familiar with how crank arms affect gearing/speed, but i know i can spin the 170mm arms a little easier than the 175mm arms on my mtbs.
frantik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-13, 12:26 PM   #129
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 5,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquateen View Post
got my uno this week and so far i love it. hopefully ill put some miles on it this weekend and dial in the fit.
frantik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-13, 01:37 PM   #130
bigbenaugust 
derailleurs are overrated
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
i don't have the orange one but i think the white one looks better with a silver crank.. i actually think the more silver, the better, since it tends to make the decals less obvious

i'm not really familiar with how crank arms affect gearing/speed, but i know i can spin the 170mm arms a little easier than the 175mm arms on my mtbs.
According to the late great Sheldon Brown's Gear Calculator... hmm, maybe it's the same speed for cadence with either crank. Oops, guess I will dig that crankset out and try it.
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: openSUSE Leap - LinuxMint Debian Edition 2 - Mac OS 10.6 - Android 4.4 - CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-13, 02:02 PM   #131
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 5,967
yeah gear inches aren't affected by crank arm length, but Sheldon's "gain ratio" is

it seems for average sized people, the reports are 170 is easy to spin while 175 offers more leverage for climbing/mashing. thats why road bikes usually come with 170 and mtbs with 175

I went with the 170 just cause it was what i had that fit the 39t ring..
frantik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-13, 02:06 PM   #132
bigbenaugust 
derailleurs are overrated
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,974
Well now I am just overcome with curiosity and will have to try it. My knees might appreciate it.
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: openSUSE Leap - LinuxMint Debian Edition 2 - Mac OS 10.6 - Android 4.4 - CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-13, 05:04 PM   #133
bigbenaugust 
derailleurs are overrated
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,974


So far I am up to replacing the wheels, crankset, seat, z-link cables, toe clips, and bars/levers. I'd say I changed the stem, but the bike didn't come with one.

Approximately 2220 miles in 10 months (alternating with my other bikes, of course).
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: openSUSE Leap - LinuxMint Debian Edition 2 - Mac OS 10.6 - Android 4.4 - CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-13, 12:29 AM   #134
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 5,967
why'd you replace the wheels? did you have a set handy? I trued my wheels recently using my new truing stand, haven't ridden the Uno for a bit though.. need to finish swapping on the Deore cantis with Avid Tri-dangle hangers to replace the z-links and wrap the bars with the new Gary II bar i installed..

a ton of parts from the Uno have ended up on this MTB crankset, brakes, levers, handlebar and even the bar tape

frantik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-13, 12:36 AM   #135
bigbenaugust 
derailleurs are overrated
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,974
The stock Jalco wheels had a lot of bad reviews, so I was afraid. They're still sitting in my shed, though. The Alex SUB rims are 29er mountain rims, though... tough stuff.
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: openSUSE Leap - LinuxMint Debian Edition 2 - Mac OS 10.6 - Android 4.4 - CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-13, 12:44 AM   #136
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 5,967
yeah the stock wheels definitely have bad reviews.. i'm hoping the fact i trued and also tightened the tension somewhat will keep them from going out of true. I was wondering if you tacoed them already or something.

how wide are those 29er rims, and what tires did you put on? cool to know you can fit 29er rims on it
frantik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-13, 12:59 AM   #137
bigbenaugust 
derailleurs are overrated
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,974
Right now, I have a 32mm Panaracer Pasela TG in the front and a 32mm Panaracer UrbanMax in the rear. I have not checked them for width, and it's dropped off of the Alex Rims site. BikeIsland says 20mm.
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: openSUSE Leap - LinuxMint Debian Edition 2 - Mac OS 10.6 - Android 4.4 - CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-13, 04:13 PM   #138
AK404
toasty!
 
AK404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Troy, MI
Bikes: 1998 Cannondale r200, 2011 Bianchi Via Nirone 7; 2007 Redline Conquest Pro
Posts: 719
Quick question about the Uno: How much does it weigh?
AK404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-13, 07:15 PM   #139
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 5,967
~23lbs with the stock setup
frantik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-13, 11:16 PM   #140
bigbenaugust 
derailleurs are overrated
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,974
I've never bothered, but it sure feels and rides lighter than my Fantom CX.
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: openSUSE Leap - LinuxMint Debian Edition 2 - Mac OS 10.6 - Android 4.4 - CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 08:16 AM   #141
SSbalt
Senior Member
 
SSbalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Baltimore MD
Bikes:
Posts: 241
Anybody using these things for actual CX racing, and not just commuting?

I have a stripped down fixed gear that I use for commuting - but I want to get into CX racing on the cheap - was looking at FCU's obviously because they are the only real option. I'm assuming pedals, tires, and brakes+hoods are the first things that have to go.
SSbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 12:41 PM   #142
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 5,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbalt View Post
I'm assuming pedals, tires, and brakes+hoods are the first things that have to go.
along with pretty much everything else.. i've replaced cranks/chainring, brakes, levers, handlebar and stem. Still want to replace the tires and pedals. the tires are ok i just want something fatter (which is why i got this frame in the first place)

i finally got back to finishing up my UNO the other day with the new brakes/levers/bars.. need to take some pics.

Last edited by frantik; 03-04-13 at 12:59 PM.
frantik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-13, 07:26 PM   #143
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 5,967
maybe i'm just used to riding MTBs too much, but i've been wondering what the UNO might be like with a riser bar.. I put a Gary bar on there (a dirt drop style drop bar) and the drop is too low. Maybe i just need a riser stem instead of rider bars. I never really liked rinding in the drops on the stock bar but i just blamed that on the anatomic drops and crappy levers

anybody converted their UNO to a flat bar or a riser bar? I'm pretty tempted to try it, though i JUST set up the new bar and brakes so redoing that is mostly what's holding me back
frantik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-13, 07:17 PM   #144
Vlaam4ever
Senior Member
 
Vlaam4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lake Claire, GA
Bikes: 2008 Giant TCR Advanced
Posts: 802
I just picked up a used FCU yesterday ~250 . I really pumped about it. I spent some time yesterday wrenching on it. It needed new brake pads to be safe to ride on the road. But I see myself spending some more on it in the coming weeks.

Initial impressions are that it rides very nice. Gearing is perfect.
The levers, bars and wheels are sub par for my standards and will get replaced in the next month or 2.
The graphics are hideous. I have a the white one, so I'll be replacing the bar, stem and tape with some thing silver or white just to reduce the contrast a bit. Any suggestions on covering or hiding the graphics on the top bar.

Can anybody recommend a wheel replacement. I'm not sure what is needed to replace them.
Vlaam4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-13, 11:22 PM   #145
bigbenaugust 
derailleurs are overrated
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
maybe i'm just used to riding MTBs too much, but i've been wondering what the UNO might be like with a riser bar.. I put a Gary bar on there (a dirt drop style drop bar) and the drop is too low. Maybe i just need a riser stem instead of rider bars. I never really liked rinding in the drops on the stock bar but i just blamed that on the anatomic drops and crappy levers

anybody converted their UNO to a flat bar or a riser bar? I'm pretty tempted to try it, though i JUST set up the new bar and brakes so redoing that is mostly what's holding me back
I have seen pics on the interwebs of people with flat bars on their Unos. Perhaps they were risers and I was not paying attention.
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: openSUSE Leap - LinuxMint Debian Edition 2 - Mac OS 10.6 - Android 4.4 - CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-13, 04:58 AM   #146
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 5,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlaam4ever View Post
Initial impressions are that it rides very nice. Gearing is perfect.
The levers, bars and wheels are sub par for my standards and will get replaced in the next month or 2.
The graphics are hideous. I have a the white one, so I'll be replacing the bar, stem and tape with some thing silver or white just to reduce the contrast a bit. Any suggestions on covering or hiding the graphics on the top bar.

Can anybody recommend a wheel replacement. I'm not sure what is needed to replace them.
I *hated* the graphics until I added a silver crankset and silver brakes.. now i don't mind them as much. Reflective tape, white vinyl tape or white electrical tape all could be used to easily cover up the logo.

As far as the wheels.. I just tightened the spokes and trued them up. I don't ride my UNO a lot but I would just keep the stock wheels on there for now and wait until they are toast or if you get tired of truing them
frantik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-13, 09:18 AM   #147
Vlaam4ever
Senior Member
 
Vlaam4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lake Claire, GA
Bikes: 2008 Giant TCR Advanced
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
I *hated* the graphics until I added a silver crankset and silver brakes.. now i don't mind them as much. Reflective tape, white vinyl tape or white electrical tape all could be used to easily cover up the logo.

As far as the wheels.. I just tightened the spokes and trued them up. I don't ride my UNO a lot but I would just keep the stock wheels on there for now and wait until they are toast or if you get tired of truing them
I like what you did with yours. The silver crank looks nice. What crank is that? Most of the single cranks I found are built for track have 42 or 46 rings on them. That may be a bit tall for me to push on the uphills.

I also like your bars how comfortable are they? Mine has this hideous red tape tha make the graphics even worse. I'm looking to tune downt the collor pallate significintly on it.
Vlaam4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-13, 02:58 PM   #148
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 5,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlaam4ever View Post
I like what you did with yours. The silver crank looks nice. What crank is that? Most of the single cranks I found are built for track have 42 or 46 rings on them. That may be a bit tall for me to push on the uphills.

I also like your bars how comfortable are they? Mine has this hideous red tape tha make the graphics even worse. I'm looking to tune downt the collor pallate significintly on it.
the crank arms are Shimano 600 EX cranks (from the mid 80s) they are 130bcd and can take a ring as small as 39t (which is the size i've got on mine)

The bars i had on in the last pic i took were the On One Midge bars.. they were ok but too wide for me. I have an Origin 8 Gary II bar on there now but i need a more "riser" stem since they have such a low drop. i've been contemplating trying out some of these riser bars i have on hand just for fun but right now i'm so busy haven't had much time to work on any of my bikes
frantik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-13, 03:02 PM   #149
bigbenaugust 
derailleurs are overrated
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,974
I have silver Origin-8 cranks on mine and some orange Scotchlite.
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: openSUSE Leap - LinuxMint Debian Edition 2 - Mac OS 10.6 - Android 4.4 - CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-13, 03:58 PM   #150
SnowJob
Dirt junkie.
 
SnowJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Minneapolis
Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Traitor Ruben, Redline Monocog 29er
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbalt View Post
Anybody using these things for actual CX racing, and not just commuting?

I have a stripped down fixed gear that I use for commuting - but I want to get into CX racing on the cheap - was looking at FCU's obviously because they are the only real option. I'm assuming pedals, tires, and brakes+hoods are the first things that have to go.
I've seen and raced against quite a few ss rigs at 'cross races, but have never seen one of these BD bikes. That doesn't mean jack ****, though, because people ride whatever they have, especially at the "citizen's" class, or beginner, races. So I say go for it. You may want to make sure your gearing is 'cross race friendly, though.
SnowJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:55 PM.