Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Recreational Cyclocross and Gravelbiking This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-08, 04:42 PM   #1
bikesdirect_com
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New Ti Cyclocross bike

Since I first posted about the 2009 Fantom Cross Team Ti, I have had many PMs asking when the bike will be available. It is now on the way.

I, of course, feel this is the best CX bike available under $2000. And actually would not be a bad deal with an aluminum frame; but with a Ti frame it is a very special bike.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...m_cross_ti.htm

Buyers that book prior to landing get an extra discount.

Mike
__________________
http://www.bikesdirect.com

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." Mahatma Gandhi
bikesdirect_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 05:13 PM   #2
3MTA3
★ ★ ★
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 07:36 PM   #3
crushkilldstroy
Hello.
 
crushkilldstroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West Seattle
Bikes:
Posts: 2,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
He's said before that he bought a red star with his other profiles, not to mention all of the side ads that he's thrown on here.

I'm not a huge fan of the constant updates with new threads either, but the red star argument is kind of moot.

You have to admit that it's a pretty good deal for a titanium ride, assuming there's a warranty of sorts.
crushkilldstroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 08:08 PM   #4
3MTA3
★ ★ ★
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crushkilldstroy View Post
He's said before that he bought a red star with his other profiles, not to mention all of the side ads that he's thrown on here.
then he can post these ads with the accounts in which he has a red star.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 08:17 PM   #5
bigmasher
90 rpm
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Bikes: Litespeed Siena, Serotta Big Dig, IF Deluxe, Kestrel 200sc
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A few questions:

I'm mostly looking for a fast and rugged winter commuter and utility bike.

Will there be a disc equipped version for sale at some point, or a frameset only?

What's the biggest tire there's clearance for? Will it take a 40mm studded tire?

Thanks,
BigMasher
bigmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 08:45 PM   #6
crushkilldstroy
Hello.
 
crushkilldstroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West Seattle
Bikes:
Posts: 2,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
then he can post these ads with the accounts in which he has a red star.
This is kind of a silly thing to argue, but come on now. If you look to the right, you'll see two ads that he paid for. I'm sure that both of those ads cost quite a bit more than a red star.

Back on subject though. It'd really be nice to have all of this Motobecane stuff in a single thread. That way all of the answers are right there and not thrown sporadically around the forum.
crushkilldstroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 03:02 AM   #7
bikesdirect_com
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
then he can post these ads with the accounts in which he has a red star.

we have a couple of accounts with red stars
but I do not use those as I like seeing the ads on the sides

also I am guessing BF management is not unhappy with our support of the site {which we intend to increase each year**

I support the free exchange of ideas on BF
and feel it is great for cycling
__________________
http://www.bikesdirect.com

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." Mahatma Gandhi
bikesdirect_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 03:10 AM   #8
bikesdirect_com
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmasher View Post
A few questions:

I'm mostly looking for a fast and rugged winter commuter and utility bike.

Will there be a disc equipped version for sale at some point, or a frameset only?

What's the biggest tire there's clearance for? Will it take a 40mm studded tire?

Thanks,
BigMasher
I am fairly sure a 40c will fit; did not try it but looks like plenty of room [fyi - most CX frames and forks like these have 52c width - so a 40c leaves a bit on each side]

We have disc wheels for CX on the way and standard equip on the Outlaw
we have the disc equipped Aluminum CX bike in route [Fantom Cross Outlaw]

The Ti bike may come in a disc stock version next season [Sept 2009]
And we have plans for Ti frames starting next year around Summer; however a frame and fork will be $1200 on this model - so at the intro price of $1695 for an entire bike; I do not think many would buy the frameset.
__________________
http://www.bikesdirect.com

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." Mahatma Gandhi
bikesdirect_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 07:52 AM   #9
bigskyTi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Detroit
Bikes: LS Archon T1, LS Ghisallo, QR TiPhoon
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So if i understand correctly, this will be the only Ti Cross offering for this season?

I know you had mentioned an SL version in addition to the disc and framset option (which appears to be for next year). Will you offer other component sets with this frame (SRAM or Campy)

Bottom line, I've got one in my shopping cart right now and want to make sure that I'm ordering the right one.

BTW any idea on frame/complete bike weight? Are these on the boat?

Thanks, this is a killer deal on a super nice bike.
bigskyTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 07:56 AM   #10
bikesdirect_com
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskyTi View Post
So if i understand correctly, this will be the only Ti Cross offering for this season?

I know you had mentioned an SL version in addition to the disc and framset option (which appears to be for next year). Will you offer other component sets with this frame (SRAM or Campy)

Bottom line, I've got one in my shopping cart right now and want to make sure that I'm ordering the right one.

BTW any idea on frame/complete bike weight? Are these on the boat?

Thanks, this is a killer deal on a super nice bike.
Yes
this is the only one we will get in this season
next year we will be looking into framesets and Sram equipped [no Campy until the Euro falls in value vs USD]

complete bike is about 19lbs; it seems

thanks
you will love this bike and my guess is it will quickly become your favorite bike
__________________
http://www.bikesdirect.com

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." Mahatma Gandhi
bikesdirect_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 11:45 AM   #11
adrien
Senior Member
 
adrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Alexandria, VA
Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear
Posts: 1,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
how long is the stem?

trying to match geometry to a 58 JTS. looks like your top tube is more compact than i'd like and I'm tryting to figure out if the 61 is too big.

any thought to a longer TT? say 58 for the 58?
adrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 12:02 PM   #12
bigskyTi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Detroit
Bikes: LS Archon T1, LS Ghisallo, QR TiPhoon
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh yeah, any ideas on Head Tube length? that will make the call fe me between the 56 and the 58
bigskyTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 02:14 PM   #13
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
Get a life. If he keeps the forum alive with financial support he deserves to post. BTW, how much financial support are you giving? Hot air doesn't count.
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 03:24 PM   #14
NeezyDeezy
Senior Member
 
NeezyDeezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is the head-tube length on the 61cm? I am ready to order, but need to know this part.

Also, what are the frame weights?

Thanks!

Last edited by NeezyDeezy; 08-28-08 at 03:33 PM.
NeezyDeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 08:39 PM   #15
mrbubbles
?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like you're stuck with 130mm AND disc tabs. ULTIMATE FAIL.

Guess I'm looking elsewhere.
mrbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 03:25 AM   #16
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubbles View Post
Looks like you're stuck with 130mm AND disc tabs. ULTIMATE FAIL.

Guess I'm looking elsewhere.
For a guy with such a cute name you're pretty pessimistic. What exactly is the ULTIMATE FAIL? Somebody who tries to make a better product or someone who sits back and does nothing but throw insults?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubbles View Post
Funny nobody has mention rear spacing yet. Rear spacing please?

If 135mm, great.

If it's 130mm, there's no way anyone should be buying it. Why?

1. 130mm spaced disc hubs are little to non-existent.
2. You can't cold set aluminum to 135mm.
3. 130mm spaced disc hubs means you have to buy wheelsets from BD if the wheelset is toasted. Forget that.
4. Need to borrow a wheelset? Good luck finding 130mm disc wheelsets besides BDs or crappy Bontrager Selects (won't be available after this year when Lemond no longer sells the XC disc).
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 07:44 AM   #17
bigskyTi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Detroit
Bikes: LS Archon T1, LS Ghisallo, QR TiPhoon
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
130mm disk hubs are available from a number of people including Velocity. This is a Ti frame not Al and coudl be cold set.

What exactly is the problem with having disk tabs? Are you worried about the extra 10grams?
bigskyTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 01:11 PM   #18
mrbubbles
?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs1 View Post
For a guy with such a cute name you're pretty pessimistic. What exactly is the ULTIMATE FAIL? Somebody who tries to make a better product or someone who sits back and does nothing but throw insults?
Funny you would commend the product before even seeing it or riding it for that matter.

It's not an insult, it's criticism, this has been discussed and recommended by members here on the previous threads. Most 700c bikes with disc tabs on the market (besides LeMond Poprad disc, Redline Conquest disc, and Fetish) are equipped with 135mm rear spacing or at least 132.5.

I'm not a BD basher or anti-BD, I was looking forward to ordering this bike, but with 130mm rear spacing, so far, I'm most likely looking elsewhere.
mrbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 01:52 PM   #19
bikesdirect_com
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubbles View Post
Funny you would commend the product before even seeing it or riding it for that matter.

It's not an insult, it's criticism, this has been discussed and recommended by members here on the previous threads. Most 700c bikes with disc tabs on the market (besides LeMond Poprad disc, Redline Conquest disc, and Fetish) are equipped with 135mm rear spacing or at least 132.5.

I'm not a BD basher or anti-BD, I was looking forward to ordering this bike, but with 130mm rear spacing, so far, I'm most likely looking elsewhere.
Thanks for your input

We are stocking CX wheels with 130mm spacing and disc hubs
and we will be stocking at least 3 levels of wheels that work on 130 spacing with disc hubs

This will become more common with other suppliers too; as disc on these style bikes increases in sales
__________________
http://www.bikesdirect.com

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." Mahatma Gandhi
bikesdirect_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-08, 08:19 AM   #20
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubbles View Post
Funny you would commend the product before even seeing it or riding it for that matter.
I'm not commending the product. Read the post again. I'm commenting on your ULTIMATE FAIL comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubbles View Post
It's not an insult
It is indeed an insult. If you don't like the bike don't buy it. Your remark ULTIMATE FAIL in all caps was intended to be an insult. If it wasn't you wouldn't have said it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubbles View Post
it's criticism, this has been discussed and recommended by members here on the previous threads. Most 700c bikes with disc tabs on the market (besides LeMond Poprad disc, Redline Conquest disc, and Fetish) are equipped with 135mm rear spacing or at least 132.5.
If it's been discussed so much, why are you bringing it again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubbles View Post
I'm not a BD basher or anti-BD
You certainly can't tell from your remarks. If you really don't like the product then go out and design, build and market your own line of bikes. All the memberse who discussed and recommended 135mm spacing can buy your bike. It's easy to criticsize but hard to do something about it.
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-08, 03:05 PM   #21
BryanS
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry to jump in and I hope this isn't the wrong place to bring this up, but I saw that Mike mentioned an 853 framed version of the Fantom back in April. I wonder if that's coming any time soon and if a frameset might be available for that as well. My Fantom Cross pro is due here next week, and although I'm sure it will be a great bike, it's still aluminum. If I knew I could buy a steel frame before spring it would make me a very happy camper.
BryanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-08, 04:57 PM   #22
dromond
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesdirect_com View Post
Thanks for your input

We are stocking CX wheels with 130mm spacing and disc hubs
and we will be stocking at least 3 levels of wheels that work on 130 spacing with disc hubs

This will become more common with other suppliers too; as disc on these style bikes increases in sales
What sort of wheels and price points? I'm hoping for something with a light rim and a full spoke count. I have a 130mm disc bike. No problems so far other than hub availability.
dromond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-08, 05:40 PM   #23
d2p
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What? Is BD selling at Macy's now?
d2p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-08, 07:04 PM   #24
timcook
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanS View Post
Sorry to jump in and I hope this isn't the wrong place to bring this up, but I saw that Mike mentioned an 853 framed version of the Fantom back in April. I wonder if that's coming any time soon and if a frameset might be available for that as well. My Fantom Cross pro is due here next week, and although I'm sure it will be a great bike, it's still aluminum. If I knew I could buy a steel frame before spring it would make me a very happy camper.
This post by BD is a bit more recent than April. I haven't seen any updates since then, but it looks like the steel bike won't happen anytime soon:

Motobecane Fantom Cross Disc
timcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-08, 09:42 PM   #25
NeezyDeezy
Senior Member
 
NeezyDeezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please post the head tube lengths. Thank you.
NeezyDeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:15 AM.