Hi Guy and Gals,
Thanks for putting together such an informative forum.
A bit of background on me: 5'9" tall, 215lbs, 31" inseam. All previous biking experience has been on a mountain bike. Used to do a lot of off trail stuff back home in Australia, but since moving to NorCal about 1.5 years ago put slicks on my MTB and have been riding only on the road. Was initially looking at getting a road bike, but then came across some cyclocross bikes and started looking into them. I recently did a bit of buying and selling on eB** and ended up with a decent clincher wheelset, Ritchey bar/stem/post and full 2006 campy record group for less than $150.
My aims/requirements are as follows:
* for the next year or two, until we go back to Australia, my riding will be 100% road, so will be running skinny tires on the cx bike.
* it's easier for me to lose some weight than to pay mucho $$ to drop a pound or two, but would still like the final bike to be in the 17-19lb range when wearing "road wheels".
* don't want a frame that is a noodle, due to my weight. Would like the frame to be built tough enough to last me many years.
* looking for a frame that will still be comfortable after a metric century.
* don't want to spend more than another $1000 preferably.
* I realise that it might come down to the fit of a particular frame
The three frames in the subject line I have come across and been interested in. Buying new they all look to fall around the same mark - $900-1000 for the frame and fork.
* Anyone have any opinions as to which might be the best for me given the criteria above?
* Also, the best carbon fork for a heavier rider?
* best brakes for riding on the road when mud clearance isn't a problem?
Sorry for the long post, but TIA for any wisdom shared. Jared