Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Recreational Cyclocross and Gravelbiking This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-09, 05:59 PM   #1
rankin116
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rankin116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ChapelBorro NC
Bikes:
Posts: 3,986
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
What comes with the Nashbar X frame?

I called today, but the guy I spoke with didn't have any answers and said he would email me tomorrow. I'm not counting on it.

What I am trying to figure out is if the correct pieces for using canti's comes with the frame. I'm thinking the seat post collar/cable hanger and the front headset spacer/cable hanger. Anyone know for sure? Thanks.
rankin116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 01:53 AM   #2
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Nashbar cross frame is just that, a frame and fork, nothing else. You have to purchase parts you mentioned to use cantilevers. While it's a nice frame, the welding is kind of crude. IMO, the Motobecane/Windsor frames are a lot nicer.



Good luck.

Last edited by cs1; 08-14-09 at 02:02 AM.
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 05:50 AM   #3
rankin116
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rankin116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ChapelBorro NC
Bikes:
Posts: 3,986
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Thanks, that's what I thought.

I am looking for a fork that has canti and disc mounts though, that's why I've been looking at the X frame and the nashbar fork. Do you have any experience with that fork? I might consider picking up one of the BD framesets and the nashbar fork to have the disc option.
rankin116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 07:44 AM   #4
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel
 
Barrettscv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edwardsville, Illinois
Bikes: Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Posts: 10,478
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
This fork has what you want: http://www.winwoodbike.com/muddydisc.html
__________________
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 08:09 AM   #5
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!
 
bobthib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2
Posts: 2,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs1 View Post
Nashbar cross frame is just that, a frame and fork, nothing else. You have to purchase parts you mentioned to use cantilevers. While it's a nice frame, the welding is kind of crude. IMO, the Motobecane/Windsor frames are a lot nicer. Good luck.
I didn't see this on the BD site. Is it still available? How much? Fork included?
bobthib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 08:51 AM   #6
rankin116
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rankin116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ChapelBorro NC
Bikes:
Posts: 3,986
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthib View Post
I didn't see this on the BD site. Is it still available? How much? Fork included?
Bikeisland.com Many to choose from as well.
rankin116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 08:59 AM   #7
rankin116
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rankin116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ChapelBorro NC
Bikes:
Posts: 3,986
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
This fork has what you want: http://www.winwoodbike.com/muddydisc.html
That's a pricey alternative to the Nashbar fork. I'm not a cheap person, but is there really an advantage to paying almost 2x the cost? They look like they could be identical except for the stickers.

rankin116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 10:12 AM   #8
IK_biker
old fart
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Shippensburg, PA
Bikes:
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
As I and many others here on BF have discovered, this Winwood fork is exactly the fork Nashbar sells. It comes with the M8 canti bosses installed.

The X frame from Nashbar comes with M10 canti bosses installed, and a bag with:
- RD hanger with mounting hardware
- plastic cable guide for under the BB with a screw
- two plastic retainers for the brake cable guides on the LH seatstay
\And that's it.

To mate this fork with the X frame you need a 1-1/8 inch normal style headset.
IK_biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 12:37 PM   #9
rankin116
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rankin116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ChapelBorro NC
Bikes:
Posts: 3,986
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK_biker View Post
As I and many others here on BF have discovered, this Winwood fork is exactly the fork Nashbar sells. It comes with the M8 canti bosses installed.

The X frame from Nashbar comes with M10 canti bosses installed, and a bag with:
- RD hanger with mounting hardware
- plastic cable guide for under the BB with a screw
- two plastic retainers for the brake cable guides on the LH seatstay
\And that's it.

To mate this fork with the X frame you need a 1-1/8 inch normal style headset.
Thanks. That's exactly what Tech Support told me as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashbar
The parts bag includes:
rear derailleur hanger
bottom bracket cable guide
2 plastic cable housing clips
2 barrel adjusters

Tech
What are the differences between the M8 and M10 canti bosses? Maybe I will be going with a different frame based on what comes with it. The Moto frameset has all of that with it. Decisions decisions.
rankin116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 02:18 PM   #10
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rankin116 View Post
Bikeisland.com Many to choose from as well.
You beat me to it. I snagged the pics off of ebay. Just do a search on Motobecane. There are 2 variations one is something like $289 the other $389 Good luck
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 02:26 PM   #11
rankin116
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rankin116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ChapelBorro NC
Bikes:
Posts: 3,986
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I'm also looking at the Scattante XRL Cross frame, but the sizing is bit off.

What would you guys recommend for the scattante size? I'm on a 54cm CAAD9. If I go with the 51cm Scattante then I'm looking at ~2cm shorter top tube, but if I go with a 54cm, it's 0.5cm longer than the C-dale.

Edit: I can get a Moto 54cm that has a 54.8cm toptube, so only 3mm longer than the C-dale, but for $126 more than the Scattante. Damn.




Last edited by rankin116; 08-14-09 at 02:34 PM.
rankin116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 10:45 PM   #12
IK_biker
old fart
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Shippensburg, PA
Bikes:
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rankin116 View Post
What are the differences between the M8 and M10 canti bosses? Maybe I will be going with a different frame based on what comes with it. The Moto frameset has all of that with it. Decisions decisions.
The difference is the thread size - usually frames have M10 female thread and forks have M8 female thread (although many suspension forks do have the M10 thread) for the bosses.
Otherwise, the bosses are externally the same and fitting canti brakes on either is exactly the same.

I chose the Nashbar frame for 2 reasons:
1. It had the disc brake mounts which is what I wanted
2. It had the shifter cables routed under the down tube just as I wanted, thus obsoleting the pulley for the front derailleur setup which is necessary for top tube cable routing as done on most CX frames
I just finished the build 3 hours ago, gave it a spin, and liked the result very much.
IK_biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-09, 05:18 AM   #13
rankin116
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rankin116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ChapelBorro NC
Bikes:
Posts: 3,986
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK_biker View Post
The difference is the thread size - usually frames have M10 female thread and forks have M8 female thread (although many suspension forks do have the M10 thread) for the bosses.
Otherwise, the bosses are externally the same and fitting canti brakes on either is exactly the same.

I chose the Nashbar frame for 2 reasons:
1. It had the disc brake mounts which is what I wanted
2. It had the shifter cables routed under the down tube just as I wanted, thus obsoleting the pulley for the front derailleur setup which is necessary for top tube cable routing as done on most CX frames
I just finished the build 3 hours ago, gave it a spin, and liked the result very much.
Very cool, thanks. Can you post some pics?
rankin116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-09, 01:08 PM   #14
IK_biker
old fart
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Shippensburg, PA
Bikes:
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The saddle would have to be changed. I just slapped on what I already had, just for a few rides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg X1-resized.jpg (100.0 KB, 83 views)
IK_biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-09, 03:20 PM   #15
doorunrun
Senior Member
 
doorunrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Central Florida
Bikes: Giant Rincon '08, Nashbar CX Homebrew
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On the bike I built up using Nashbar X frame and their carbon fork I decided to go with canti brakes but the Nashbar frame doesn't have any cable support on the seat stays. I wound up using a Surly Constrictor seat post clamp with their Stainless Steel Cable Hanger.

I really gave it the drop test not long after getting it finished. It fell off my trunk-mount car rack at about 50 mph onto the highway. The left side, handlebars, pedal and seat took the brunt of the crash. The frame was OK; the welds held, no hairline cracks. It's a pretty solid frame.

Cheers!
doorunrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-09, 05:37 PM   #16
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Bikes:
Posts: 20,241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think you want to run a slightly shorter stem on a cross bike so you have a hair less weight over the front wheel.

Less endo potential.

Cross season is almost here. Heck yessss!!!

Crap, that means I need to build up my frame.
ridethecliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:36 AM.