Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Recreational Cyclocross and Gravelbiking This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-05-09, 07:27 PM   #1
UBUvelo
astrositupataphysicyclist
Thread Starter
 
UBUvelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Media PA
Bikes: too many now
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
who owns a current Giant TCX 2 (2009-2010)?

not sure my lbs has one for test riding (yet), but would like to hear from some proud (or not) owners of this bike in whatever application (cx, commute, etc) you do with it. the new bike in blue looks really sharp, but wondering if it is just a cx version of the roadie Defy 3?

2010
http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-us....2/3889/36630/

2009
http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...ad/2299/32184/
UBUvelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 08:11 PM   #2
ljrichar
bf is my facebook.
 
ljrichar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Greensboro, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just looked at the TCX 0 today, same frame different components. Looks pretty solid but was not in my size so I couldn't ride it. The TCX 1 comes with full Rival & that's what I have on my road bike. I'd like to hear from some of the owners as well.
ljrichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 11:33 PM   #3
Majestik
Hup Hup
 
Majestik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Flatland
Bikes: 1987 Cannondale Aluminum 3.0/2006 Giant Yukon/1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp SS/2009 Giant TCX1
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the latest Tcx1. I love it. It's more fun than any other bike I own.
Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 04:08 AM   #4
UBUvelo
astrositupataphysicyclist
Thread Starter
 
UBUvelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Media PA
Bikes: too many now
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestik View Post
I have the latest Tcx1. I love it. It's more fun than any other bike I own.
i need to compare, but i wonder if the defy frames are the same...

yeah, there's something about my Defy that makes me just want to get on it more than my mtb (lately). alot of fun. but really wishing it was cx equipped so i could have the best of both worlds and fly down a gravel or cobblestone path (instead of STOP and turn around like we had to do on the Schuykill River Trail near Manyunk...and find smooth pavement).

i can't afford the TCX0 or 1....was hoping the 2 would be decent enough for future upgrading. the frame seems to be a keeper
UBUvelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 06:21 AM   #5
nitropowered
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Athens, Ohio
Bikes: Custom Custom Custom
Posts: 5,104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They are totally different frames. But the TCX is a very nice frame. I've got one with another one on its way
nitropowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 07:54 AM   #6
meanwhile
Senior Member
 
meanwhile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 4,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBUvelo View Post
not sure my lbs has one for test riding (yet), but would like to hear from some proud (or not) owners of this bike in whatever application (cx, commute, etc) you do with it. the new bike in blue looks really sharp, but wondering if it is just a cx version of the roadie Defy 3?
If you're asking if the bike could just be a re-branded Defy, no. Cross bikes need much more tyre clearance. And I'd be surprised if the chain stays weren't longer and the fork angle slightly softer. Go to Giant's site and compare the frame geometry data.
meanwhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 07:58 AM   #7
R900
Double Secret Probation
 
R900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Eastern Indiana
Bikes: Madone 6 series SSL, Cannondale CX9, Trek TTX, Trek 970, Trek T2000
Posts: 2,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They seem very long, the large was too big for me. I'm normally about a 58.
__________________
Time to Ride...
R900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 08:33 AM   #8
ljrichar
bf is my facebook.
 
ljrichar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Greensboro, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, the smallest size offered is a small & it may be too big! 53.5 TT for a small seems weird to me but I'm a roadie. My current road bike has a TT of 52.5 but I know there's other factors at play, ie. more upright position on the cross bike.
ljrichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 09:18 AM   #9
R900
Double Secret Probation
 
R900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Eastern Indiana
Bikes: Madone 6 series SSL, Cannondale CX9, Trek TTX, Trek 970, Trek T2000
Posts: 2,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ended up with a Cannondale 56, top tube is about 7mm shorter then my road bike, and I also run a 1cm shorter stem on the CX. I've been very happy with the fit.
__________________
Time to Ride...
R900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 10:18 AM   #10
ljrichar
bf is my facebook.
 
ljrichar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Greensboro, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It looks like the Giant's TT slopes much more than my Caad 9's. Wouldn't this effectively change the actual TT length, that is the more slope, the longer you could go?
ljrichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 03:34 PM   #11
Majestik
Hup Hup
 
Majestik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Flatland
Bikes: 1987 Cannondale Aluminum 3.0/2006 Giant Yukon/1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp SS/2009 Giant TCX1
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBUvelo View Post
i need to compare, but i wonder if the defy frames are the same...

yeah, there's something about my Defy that makes me just want to get on it more than my mtb (lately). alot of fun. but really wishing it was cx equipped so i could have the best of both worlds and fly down a gravel or cobblestone path (instead of STOP and turn around like we had to do on the Schuykill River Trail near Manyunk...and find smooth pavement).

i can't afford the TCX0 or 1....was hoping the 2 would be decent enough for future upgrading. the frame seems to be a keeper
The 2 would probably be good to upgrade how you want it. I bought the 1 because the drivetrain is 105, solid in my opinion.

Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 05:48 PM   #12
UBUvelo
astrositupataphysicyclist
Thread Starter
 
UBUvelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Media PA
Bikes: too many now
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so, if i looked into a TCX for racing, would i want to go a size down? my Defy is a Medium frame.

so, a small? and why...?
UBUvelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 07:08 PM   #13
raceline
Senior Member
 
raceline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i had (2) 2009 tcx bikes , i had the bottom line and sold it to buy the middle line , sold it and bought a 2009 gt gtr type cx for the same amount of money and it rides better has better components and is a lot lighter and for 1250.00 no better deal in my opinion , see performance bikes they are selling off the 09's
raceline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 11:08 PM   #14
Majestik
Hup Hup
 
Majestik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Flatland
Bikes: 1987 Cannondale Aluminum 3.0/2006 Giant Yukon/1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp SS/2009 Giant TCX1
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBUvelo View Post
so, if i looked into a TCX for racing, would i want to go a size down? my Defy is a Medium frame.

so, a small? and why...?
I'm 5'8'' and the medium fits really really well. Test ride if you can.
Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 08:02 PM   #15
UBUvelo
astrositupataphysicyclist
Thread Starter
 
UBUvelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Media PA
Bikes: too many now
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestik View Post
I'm 5'8'' and the medium fits really really well. Test ride if you can.
dang yeah....now why are folks saying the smalls are a bit large???
UBUvelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 11:27 PM   #16
Fishy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a pair of them - one set up for cross and one as a lightweight touring bike. My brother has one as well.

Is it similar to the Defy? No - different bikes entirely. The TCX is longer, more stable - very versatile bike. Highly recommend it.

If you're good on the Defy's medium frame, I think you're going to want to be on the medium for the TCX as well. I'm a little over 6'1" and the large TCX and Defy are perfect. I suspect that the compact frame design carries sizes pretty well from line to line.

My brother is about 5'8" and he's on a medium - the small might be a little lighter to carry in a race, but harder to get onto your shoulder. I would definitely try to find and ride a small before you committed to buying one.
Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 05:17 AM   #17
Sourpuss Magee
Senior Member
 
Sourpuss Magee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Middlesex
Bikes:
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having a difficult time finding any bike shop with the TCX in stock. Is this a bad time of year to be shopping for a 'cross bike. It seems most LBS are only stocking a few bikes.
Sourpuss Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 06:25 AM   #18
ljrichar
bf is my facebook.
 
ljrichar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Greensboro, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBUvelo View Post
dang yeah....now why are folks saying the smalls are a bit large???
That was me commenting on the fact that the small has a 53.5cm TT. I haven't actually seen or ridden one.
ljrichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 04:09 PM   #19
UBUvelo
astrositupataphysicyclist
Thread Starter
 
UBUvelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Media PA
Bikes: too many now
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
as a (formerly JUST) mountain biker, the specificities of both road and cx still intrigue me...yeah, i love my Defy and am loving road riding. cx seems to be a natural to jump into since it sort of straddles elements of both mtn and road. yes, sort of...

now, my Defy i know is a totally different animal than the TCX...the Defy is touted as an 'endurance' bike and i think it was explained to me that that means it is a race bike more less designed for some distance.....it's no Ferarri...more of a (i guess) tuned VW GTI...? so a bit more comfortable than something for shorter races on the road...does that mean longer wheelbase?

anyways, so the TCX has an even longer wheelbase? sounds like it is also a more all-around bike and would be a little tougher than the Defy. good for commuting and of course, some of the rougher, gravel-cobblestone parts of the Schuykill River Trail near Manyunk...!

will have to find a local dealer that has the small and medium in stock for a test ride. not sure if i want to shell out and save some money on the 09 TCX 2...or save money and wait a year for the '10 models when they are being phased out next year....

nonetheless, i'll be entering my first race in a month with a semiMTB trek...if it's more of a blast than imagined, i'll be figuring out what bike will make it more fun each time
UBUvelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 04:11 PM   #20
UBUvelo
astrositupataphysicyclist
Thread Starter
 
UBUvelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Media PA
Bikes: too many now
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
btw, not that it matters alot, but it does to a degree: that is a cool looking bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestik View Post
The 2 would probably be good to upgrade how you want it. I bought the 1 because the drivetrain is 105, solid in my opinion.

UBUvelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-09, 06:13 PM   #21
macbugs
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2009 Giant TCX 1

I bought my 2009 TCX 1 in May 2009, here's some thoughts and observations:

1) The wheels are less than impressive. I had consistently loose spokes on the rear wheel. Giant warrantied the wheel but it took a month and a half. That wasn't a problem since I had other wheels that I tried out on the bike. I don't use the stock Kenda tires or the rims now, maybe if I went really rough off-road. I have a pair of Mavic open pro CD with Specialized borough tires for commuting and Bontrager race wheels with Ritchey speed max tires for training/racing.

2) The frame is the highlight of the bike. It is sweet. I wasn't so down with the compact frame geometry thing but after trying and riding I like it. I'm 6'0 without shoes and ride a large frame size.
The top tube is nice for shouldering and carrying. The bottom bracket shell has a small hole at the bottom so water can drain out - nice touch. The fork is stiff and nice.

3) The bike has 105 drivetrain - solid, dependable and Tektro 720 brakes. Ditch the brake pads and put some salmon KoolStop pads on - big world of difference. I switched the saddle to my old MTB saddle and replaced the pedals with Shimano XT. I also replaced the Giant stem with a shorter (100mm) Race face cadence stem.

Highly recommend - great value. I still can't get over how little this bike cost. Don't tell Giant.
macbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 05:37 AM   #22
ljrichar
bf is my facebook.
 
ljrichar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Greensboro, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbugs View Post
I bought my 2009 TCX 1 in May 2009, here's some thoughts and observations:

1) The wheels are less than impressive. I had consistently loose spokes on the rear wheel. Giant warrantied the wheel but it took a month and a half. That wasn't a problem since I had other wheels that I tried out on the bike. I don't use the stock Kenda tires or the rims now, maybe if I went really rough off-road. I have a pair of Mavic open pro CD with Specialized borough tires for commuting and Bontrager race wheels with Ritchey speed max tires for training/racing.

2) The frame is the highlight of the bike. It is sweet. I wasn't so down with the compact frame geometry thing but after trying and riding I like it. I'm 6'0 without shoes and ride a large frame size.
The top tube is nice for shouldering and carrying. The bottom bracket shell has a small hole at the bottom so water can drain out - nice touch. The fork is stiff and nice.

3) The bike has 105 drivetrain - solid, dependable and Tektro 720 brakes. Ditch the brake pads and put some salmon KoolStop pads on - big world of difference. I switched the saddle to my old MTB saddle and replaced the pedals with Shimano XT. I also replaced the Giant stem with a shorter (100mm) Race face cadence stem.

Highly recommend - great value. I still can't get over how little this bike cost. Don't tell Giant.
Thanks for the review. It seems that stock wheels are always so-so. Also, the TCX 1 comes w/ Rival instead of 105 this year.
ljrichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 09:09 AM   #23
macbugs
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sram

I kind of wished I had waited for the SRAM Rival on the '10 but the price was too good at the time. I'm thinking of moving the 10 speed 105 over to my road bike and put SRAM Rival on the cross bike.
macbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 09:30 AM   #24
UBUvelo
astrositupataphysicyclist
Thread Starter
 
UBUvelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Media PA
Bikes: too many now
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbugs View Post
I don't use the stock Kenda tires or the rims now, maybe if I went really rough off-road. I have a pair of Mavic open pro CD with Specialized borough tires for commuting and Bontrager race wheels with Ritchey speed max tires for training/racing.

...

Highly recommend - great value. I still can't get over how little this bike cost. Don't tell Giant.
nice info...now, why not the Kendas...in the sense they are too knobby for your area's terrain (where are you located?). and yes, i hear the frame is really the sweetest aspect of this bike. different application, but that's why i went with the aluxx Defy and not the C-dale CAAD.
UBUvelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 09:17 AM   #25
macbugs
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tires

I don't think they roll that well. I kept them so I should try them again, I had no experience with a cross bike when I bought this. I'm in Ephrata.
macbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:25 AM.