Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How to run a 2 x 1 with track dropouts?

    I just built my SS OnOne il Pompino; she looks and rides great.

    Only problem is that I just signed up for the Almonzo Hundo and really want to ride it. I'm comfortable riding SS and FG in the city, but not so sure over 100 miles.

    Here's my plan: I'll run a double (or a triple) crank and keep my nice White Industries SS freewheel. I already ordered the DA bar-end shifter(s).

    Here's my problem: How do I run a chain tensioner from my track drop-outs? I'm stumped. There has to be some way to do it. Maybe someone has tried this before?

    CIMG0031.jpg

  2. #2
    Surf Bum
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pacifica, CA
    My Bikes
    Vintage Trek, Vintage Diamond Back Mountain Bike, Bianchi Axis CrossBike
    Posts
    2,011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use a bolt-on dropout to mount the chain tensioner or an old derailleur. This is one type, from Mr. Nemoto at cycleland.jp



    Some more links:

    Here's a good looking one from universal cycles: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...11&category=55:





    And here's another one from: http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...d=341815116956




    You could just use a derailleur as your tensioner and here's a cheap one with built-in bolt-on dropout: http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...d=341815116956

    Last edited by pacificaslim; 02-12-10 at 07:01 PM.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great ideas. I'll check these out.

    Has anyone tried this?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,964
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Egad just effing nut up you whiner. Yes, it will hurt. Deal with it.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The question is more technical, though I do appreciate the advice.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to bother with
    (1) a bar-end shifter
    (2) a front derailleur (I assume this is what you are doing, since you ordered a bar-end shifter)
    (3) a rear derailleur or chain tensioner to take up slack
    (4) a derailleur hanger like above

    Can I suggest getting a geared rear wheel and scrap the front derailleur/multispeed crank (or just get a different bike; this sounds like the biggest kludge ever).

    EDIT 1: If you are using an Il Pompino I think you don't even have cable stops, something else you're going to have to deal with. This has disaster written all over it.

    EDIT 2: Your Pompino is probably 120mm rear spacing so you can't even go with a geared rear wheel.

  7. #7
    Senior Member cnnrmccloskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    My Bikes
    '82 Giante super challange, 70 Gitane Tour de France, GT Gutterball
    Posts
    745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scruggle View Post
    If you are going to bother with
    (1) a bar-end shifter
    (2) a front derailleur (I assume this is what you are doing, since you ordered a bar-end shifter)
    (3) a rear derailleur or chain tensioner to take up slack
    (4) a derailleur hanger like above

    Can I suggest getting a geared rear wheel and scrap the front derailleur/multispeed crank (or just get a different bike; this sounds like the biggest kludge ever).
    +1
    Too much work for just 2 gears

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    My Bikes
    Serial bike flipper
    Posts
    313
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could always run two rings up front, and shift the wheel back or forwards manually to shift between the two different ratios. With the horizontal track ends of the Pompino, though, this may mean you have to adjust to the rear brake pads. But it would give you a bail out gear, at least.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mean to be harsh, by the way. Converting the Il Pompino to geared is tricky to say the least, and it'd be better to save you the hassle. Do you have a flip-flop hub? A second freewheel is probably the easiest, cheapest route. You could also get a 3-speed S3X hubbed-wheel (http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=1708). It's a bit expensive ($299) but maybe not more so than your alternatives. Welcome to BF.

  10. #10
    Gear Combo Guru Chris_W's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    My Bikes
    Spec' Tarmac (road), Spec' Secteur Disc (commuter & tourer), Salsa Mamasita (MTB), CoMo Speedster (tandem), Surly Big Dummy (cargo), Airnimal (folder), a train pass, and NO car :)
    Posts
    2,008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a proper bike with gears and a frame that is made to take them! Singlespeeds are often a useless waste of money, as evidenced by this thread.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its going to be tough. Costs will be more significant than you want for a temporary fix. I went thrugh a phase where i was thinking about doing this on a cross bike but with a hammerschmidt up front. It would seem to be the simplest way to do it but will cost around 400.

    http://www.amazon.com/Truvativ-Hamme.../dp/B001QVZ0M0

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by winebelly View Post
    Its going to be tough. Costs will be more significant than you want for a temporary fix. I went thrugh a phase where i was thinking about doing this on a cross bike but with a hammerschmidt up front. It would seem to be the simplest way to do it but will cost around 400.
    Show me a cross bike with ISCG mounts (you need them to mount the Hammerschmidt).

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scruggle View Post
    Show me a cross bike with ISCG mounts (you need them to mount the Hammerschmidt).
    Never said there was one

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by winebelly View Post
    Never said there was one
    If there are no cross bikes with ISCG mounts then why bother saying that 'a cross bike with a Hammerschmidt would seem to be the simplest way to do 2x1'? I figured I should give the OP and any other readers that detail before someone spends $400 on something they can't use because you said it was 'simple, but expensive'.

  15. #15
    I suck, but you're worse
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    LA
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Uno-Got rid of the rest when I moved to LA:(
    Posts
    672
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a flip flop hub on your bike(which Im sure you probably do) you can get 2 different freewheels and then use a double chainring crank. Just make sure that the total number of teeth on the smallest chainring and biggest freewheel added together is within about 2 teeth of the total number of teeth of largest chainring and smallest freewheel added together. If you have relatively long track ends and/or plenty of tire clearance you can make it as much as 4 teeth different but that is extreme.

    use the inside(smaller) chainring with the larger freewheel and the outside(larger) chainring with the smaller freewheel. Its a manual change but you can get a pretty big ratio difference this way without messing with a bunch of workarounds.

    For instance(just an example):
    run a 36F-18R you have a 2:1 ratio with a total of 54 teeth in the drivetrain
    and on the other side
    run a 34F-22R you have a 17:11(or 1.5454:1) ratio with a total of 56 teeth in the drivetrain

    The latter setup will be approximately 1/4" shorter distance between BB and rear axle, which should not make much difference unless you have very little tire clearance. Basically every 1 tooth difference between the two gearing options will require 1/8" of room to play at the rear axle. The larger toothed combination will obviously result in the shorter BB to axle distance.

    FYI you might need a half link to mess around with the different gear ratios if you are using larger tires.

    BTW-I've done this with my bike and it took some trial and error to get it dialed in correctly. I suggest finding a geared bike similar to yours and find the two ratios you want to get close to for your ride. Then match the ratios to the best options based on the criterion above.
    Last edited by sooprvylyn; 02-22-10 at 05:29 PM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member cnnrmccloskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    My Bikes
    '82 Giante super challange, 70 Gitane Tour de France, GT Gutterball
    Posts
    745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_W View Post
    Get a proper bike with gears and a frame that is made to take them! Singlespeeds are often a useless waste of money, as evidenced by this thread.
    Hey hey hey... People waste single speed frames, they don't waste themselves

  17. #17
    www.theheadbadge.com cudak888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Florida
    My Bikes
    http://www.theheadbadge.com
    Posts
    22,729
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a Sturmey hub.

    -Kurt

  18. #18
    I suck, but you're worse
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    LA
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Uno-Got rid of the rest when I moved to LA:(
    Posts
    672
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A sturmy hub is an option, but the track ends will need to be spread from 110mm to at least 114mm to fit even a 3 speed hub. Then you will need to find a way to run the gear chain along the frame, not impossible, but tricky. Then you will also need to run the shift cable without any cable bosses or braze-ons.

  19. #19
    www.theheadbadge.com cudak888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Florida
    My Bikes
    http://www.theheadbadge.com
    Posts
    22,729
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sooprvylyn View Post
    A sturmy hub is an option, but the track ends will need to be spread from 110mm to at least 114mm to fit even a 3 speed hub.
    From 110? I'd expect it to be 120 oln.

    Quote Originally Posted by sooprvylyn View Post
    Then you will need to find a way to run the gear chain along the frame, not impossible, but tricky.
    Gear chain? Try gear cable. He'll have to use one whether he goes with a Sturmey hub or a derailer, unless he wishes to use a cableless, 2-speed Bendix kickback hub.

    Quote Originally Posted by sooprvylyn View Post
    Then you will also need to run the shift cable without any cable bosses or braze-ons.
    Full housing, tie wrapped, if you're a Grant Peterson follower - or a slob (same thing ). Those who wish to be less crude can use a clamp-on, over-the-BB cable guide, and a cable stop further up the frame leading to a bar-mounted shifter.

    -Kurt

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scruggle View Post
    If there are no cross bikes with ISCG mounts then why bother saying that 'a cross bike with a Hammerschmidt would seem to be the simplest way to do 2x1'? I figured I should give the OP and any other readers that detail before someone spends $400 on something they can't use because you said it was 'simple, but expensive'.
    I dont want to argue about it, but you could get an ISCG adaptor plate. Its no more far fetched than other ideas thrown out on this thread. Obviously, I would expect someone to do some of their own independent research.

  21. #21
    Senior Member squirtdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
    My Bikes
    '89 Miyata 1400, '82 nishiski (current utilty/commuter project)
    Posts
    3,097
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As suggested if there is enough room in your track ends.... flip flop hub, double up front..... stop, loosen/take of wheel, change gear.

    this is what rivendell does with their SS http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/quickbeam/50-150
    '82 Nishiski commuter/utility
    '83 Torpado Super Strada ... cafe commuter
    '89 Miyata 1400
    Soma rush Fixie
    '78 Univega gran turismo (son's Fixie/SS)
    06 Haro x3 (son's bmx)
    Electra cruiser (wife's bike)

    looking for: De Rosa 58cm ELOS frame and fork internal cable routing

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by winebelly View Post
    I dont want to argue about it, but you could get an ISCG adaptor plate. Its no more far fetched than other ideas thrown out on this thread. Obviously, I would expect someone to do some of their own independent research.
    Who's arguing? I'm just making sure the readers of this thread aren't given bad advice. SRAM even says not to use the Hammerschmidt with an ISCG adapter. Also, if you think people should do their own independent research, then no answer is better than a misleading one.

  23. #23
    Hello. crushkilldstroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West Seattle
    Posts
    2,902
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squirtdad View Post
    As suggested if there is enough room in your track ends.... flip flop hub, double up front..... stop, loosen/take of wheel, change gear.

    this is what rivendell does with their SS http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/quickbeam/50-150
    Another thing you can do is trade your WI 17t freewheel for a WI Dos Eno freewheel and then you don't even have to flip flop your flip flop. Or you could go nuts and get a 16/18 for one side and a 17/19 for the other. Set up with the proper chain length, you'd be fine on all four.

    Or for the money you've spent on that, you could just lace in a used 8sp Alfine. Although a 120/135 stretch may be a bit much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacquie Phelan
    Until mountain biking came along, the bike scene was ruled by a small elite cadre of people who seemed allergic to enthusiasm.

  24. #24
    www.theheadbadge.com cudak888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Florida
    My Bikes
    http://www.theheadbadge.com
    Posts
    22,729
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squirtdad View Post
    As suggested if there is enough room in your track ends.... flip flop hub, double up front..... stop, loosen/take of wheel, change gear.
    If he wants a 2x1, all he needs is the flip-flop hub, actually.

    -Kurt

  25. #25
    I suck, but you're worse
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    LA
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Uno-Got rid of the rest when I moved to LA:(
    Posts
    672
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
    From 110? I'd expect it to be 120 oln.
    You are correct, I shouldnt drink before posting, I get my numbers mixed up.



    Quote Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
    Gear chain? Try gear cable. He'll have to use one whether he goes with a Sturmey hub or a derailer, unless he wishes to use a cableless, 2-speed Bendix kickback hub.
    I know there is a cable, but there is ball chain going into the hub, I was referring to this part.



    Quote Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
    Full housing, tie wrapped, if you're a Grant Peterson follower - or a slob (same thing ). Those who wish to be less crude can use a clamp-on, over-the-BB cable guide, and a cable stop further up the frame leading to a bar-mounted shifter.
    Well he can use duck tape too, if he doesnt care about aesthetics at all. Since he is riding a single speed bike I assumed he wanted to keep with the clean look that singles are famous for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •