Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Jamiebel
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    VT
    My Bikes
    Cannodale R3000, Jamis Dragon MTB, Jamis Nova CX
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am having a problem with the set up on my Jamis Nova. The front brake cable is hitting the shifter cables when I turn. This is applying pressure to the cable and applying the front brake. The shifter cables attach to braze ons at the head tube. The head tube is 1 inch. There is not much turn in the hanndlebar before the brake is applied. Any suggestions on a fix??

    Thanks, Jamie
    Last edited by Jamiebel; 09-15-04 at 06:46 AM.

  2. #2
    Direct Hit Not Required BlastRadius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    San Bruno, CA
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Galileo, Bianchi Alloro, Guerciotti Cross Force, Iron Horse Hollowpoint MKIII
    Posts
    6,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much you can do for that. Maybe loosen the brake so that when it does catch, it doesn't apply the brake. How often do you turn your bar that far during riding anyway?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, i doubt you will be turning the bars that far. One thing i do on all my road/cross bikes is to switch the der cables so the right shifter cable/housing crosses over the head tube & into the left side barrell adjuster & do the same with the left shifter. You can then cross the cables back underneath your downtube. This actually decreases the hard bend you have in your housing when its routed the other way & definately improves shifting too. I've raced plenty of muddy cross races & have never had any trouble with this set up. Good Luck!!

    DP

  4. #4
    Long member...oh wait....
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamie,
    Try a fork mounted cable stop. I have one on my cross bike and it works great. They are also great at eliminating that horrible brake shutter you get when braking.

  5. #5
    Direct Hit Not Required BlastRadius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    San Bruno, CA
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Galileo, Bianchi Alloro, Guerciotti Cross Force, Iron Horse Hollowpoint MKIII
    Posts
    6,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by namaste1978
    Jamie,
    Try a fork mounted cable stop. I have one on my cross bike and it works great. They are also great at eliminating that horrible brake shutter you get when braking.
    Where do you find one of those to buy seperately? One came with my Redline frame but I've not found it for sale seperately.

  6. #6
    Long member...oh wait....
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,
    Not sure where to get one online but just go to your LBS and they can order one for ya. I work for a shop and we have a dozen or so on hand at all times. I strongly recommend them to everyone with carbon or aluminum cross forks. Steel forks don't shudder so it's not a problem with them. Here's a pic for everyone else that hasn't seen one.
    Good Luck!

  7. #7
    Direct Hit Not Required BlastRadius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    San Bruno, CA
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Galileo, Bianchi Alloro, Guerciotti Cross Force, Iron Horse Hollowpoint MKIII
    Posts
    6,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by namaste1978
    Hey,
    Not sure where to get one online but just go to your LBS and they can order one for ya. I work for a shop and we have a dozen or so on hand at all times. I strongly recommend them to everyone with carbon or aluminum cross forks. Steel forks don't shudder so it's not a problem with them. Here's a pic for everyone else that hasn't seen one.
    Good Luck!
    What is the exact part name and number (if you have it)? Do you order it from QBP or some other distributor?

  8. #8
    Cranky Ol' Curmudgeon
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by namaste1978
    Steel forks don't shudder so it's not a problem with them.
    I've seen PLENTY of steel forks shudder, including several IFs. I've also seen lots of carbon and aluminum ones not shudder. Come to think of it, one of the IFs had the worst shudder/stutter I'd ever seen and no matter how you toed-in the brakes it was not fixable.

  9. #9
    nutcase
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crossing over the der. cables underneath the down tube is a good option, you can also cut long housing from the shifters to the downtube braze-ons such that the shifter housings overlap in front of the head-tube - but still stay on their side when meeting the braze-on.

  10. #10
    Neophyte
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Well, there's 9 of them
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiebel
    I am having a problem with the set up on my Jamis Nova. The front brake cable is hitting the shifter cables when I turn. This is applying pressure to the cable and applying the front brake. The shifter cables attach to braze ons at the head tube. The head tube is 1 inch. There is not much turn in the hanndlebar before the brake is applied. Any suggestions on a fix??

    Thanks, Jamie
    Jamie, what year is your Jamis Nova. I have a 2003 (I think) which doesn't have that problem. The shifter bosses on mine are standard downtube bosses. When I turn the handlebars the shifter cables just move out of the way of the brake cable.

    Sounds like namaste1978 has a good approach, try a fork mounted cable stop. With it mounted the brake cable housing should hit the shifter cables instead of the inner cable , so braking shouldn't be affected when turning. It's somewhat of a guess though since you don't know if you'll run into other interferences.

  11. #11
    Neophyte
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Well, there's 9 of them
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiebel
    I am having a problem with the set up on my Jamis Nova. The front brake cable is hitting the shifter cables when I turn. This is applying pressure to the cable and applying the front brake. The shifter cables attach to braze ons at the head tube. The head tube is 1 inch. There is not much turn in the hanndlebar before the brake is applied. Any suggestions on a fix??

    Thanks, Jamie
    BTW, how do you like your Nova?

  12. #12
    Jamiebel
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    VT
    My Bikes
    Cannodale R3000, Jamis Dragon MTB, Jamis Nova CX
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it. Its very stable on the technical courses but it feels like a truck when sprinting on pavement. (better than a cannondale though). Its 631 renyolds and very damp. It has a steel fork with no brake shutter or squeal. If I had to chose again I would look for steel with a slightly lower bottom bracket and shorter chain stays and fork rake. The bike's wheel base could be a little tighter. The BEST part is that its pumpkin orange!!

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    NE South Dakota
    My Bikes
    89 Bottecchia, 90's Eddy Merckx MXL, Vision R40, Blk Mtn Cycles Super Cross
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fork mounted cable hanger shown above is horrible on the 01 (Orange) Jamis Nova. I had the same bike and it came stock with that setup and changed it to the cable stop similar to the original poster's setup which is the best bet.

    The Jamis design is just piss poor, if you get the fork mount you will have a solid connection to the fork then have rigid cable housing that bumps into your shift cables when you turn your bars. This eventually causes damage to the housing which could affect shifting. At least with the flexible cable as shown in the OP it will move and not damage the shift cables.

    I used that as my primary reason to sell my 01 Jamis and buy an new 03 Jamis which uses normal downtube shifter boses as the cable attachment point.

  14. #14
    Hardtail WorldWind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Az. & Ca.
    My Bikes
    Richey Everest, Supercomp, Richey custom handbuilt Road, and others.
    Posts
    663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can the adjusting barrels at the braze-ons be moved to the levers? If not just remove them.
    Also you want to use a break housing with a shortened ferrule at the braze-on or just remove the ferrule and replace it with a piece of shrink sleeve.

    As an aside your breaks are not set up optimally. The angle at the center pull cable is way to small. Readjust so that the triangle rides about 1 inch off the tire. Yes I know it means a new cable.

  15. #15
    Long member...oh wait....
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorf411
    The fork mounted cable hanger shown above is horrible on the 01 (Orange) Jamis Nova. I had the same bike and it came stock with that setup and changed it to the cable stop similar to the original poster's setup which is the best bet.

    The Jamis design is just piss poor, if you get the fork mount you will have a solid connection to the fork then have rigid cable housing that bumps into your shift cables when you turn your bars. This eventually causes damage to the housing which could affect shifting. At least with the flexible cable as shown in the OP it will move and not damage the shift cables.

    I used that as my primary reason to sell my 01 Jamis and buy an new 03 Jamis which uses normal downtube shifter boses as the cable attachment point.
    Very good point! Yea, looks like it would interfear with those dumb a%# cable stops. Alright, I take back what I said, don't use that fork mount on your bike! lol
    Why anybody would use them on a frame without lugs is beyond me! They used to be up on the headtube like that because they were part of the lower headtube lug. But on a non lugged frame? Why would they do that. Schwinn used to do that on some of their road bikes and actually realized how crappy it was and offered retrofit cable stop barrel adjusters that had a little more clearance.
    "The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."
    -Iris Murdoch, writer (1919-1999)

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    NE South Dakota
    My Bikes
    89 Bottecchia, 90's Eddy Merckx MXL, Vision R40, Blk Mtn Cycles Super Cross
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cable stops on the head tube may not be so obtrusive on a bike with caliper brakes but for Canti's they pretty much suck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •