Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    2009 Jake the Snake vs 2011 Tricross Sport

    I have a local bike shop that still has a couple 2009 Jake the Snake bikes new and are selling them at $1100 complete with Shimano 105 10speed components.

    However they also have the 2011 Specialized Tricrosses at $1250. Is it worth the $150 to have the tricross that is newer even though it only has Tiagra components and a 9speed rear derailleur?

    They also have a Felt F35X in my size that is a 2009 as well with Shimano 105 components. But I can't seem to find out much on this bike and can't seem to find out why they only made it in 2009 and no other years!

    It seems like people love both bikes, but I didn't know if the 105 components are better enough to justify getting an older (but still new) bike.

    Any advice is appreciated. I will be using it for Touring, dirt/gravel roads and for road biking to work.

  2. #2
    Bicyclist
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    My Bikes
    The two wheeled variety.
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwilde1 View Post
    ...the 105 components are better enough to justify getting an older (but still new) bike...
    Yes this ^.

    I have used the Tiagra shifters, they work but they are not as good as the 105s.

  3. #3
    Senior Member meanwhile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,033
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwilde1 View Post
    I have a local bike shop that still has a couple 2009 Jake the Snake bikes new and are selling them at $1100 complete with Shimano 105 10speed components.

    However they also have the 2011 Specialized Tricrosses at $1250. Is it worth the $150 to have the tricross that is newer even though it only has Tiagra components and a 9speed rear derailleur?

    They also have a Felt F35X in my size that is a 2009 as well with Shimano 105 components. But I can't seem to find out much on this bike and can't seem to find out why they only made it in 2009 and no other years!

    It seems like people love both bikes, but I didn't know if the 105 components are better enough to justify getting an older (but still new) bike.

    Any advice is appreciated. I will be using it for Touring, dirt/gravel roads and for road biking to work.
    Yearly model differences are mostly marketing BS. I doubt that a 2015 Snake will be much different to a 2005 one.

    Big tip: get the store - or do this yourself - to fit a fork mounted brake hanger to the Snake. Braking power and feel will zoom up.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the advise on the breaks. It sounds like the older one is a much better deal. I wish it wasn't so ugly, I am not a fan of the forest green and white.

    Any thoughts on the Felt F35X, it looks like it has the same components but is missing some eyelets for mounting a rack...

  5. #5
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 1999 Kona Muni Mula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    6,841
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meanwhile View Post
    Yearly model differences are mostly marketing BS. I doubt that a 2015 Snake will be much different to a 2005 one.
    While this is often true, it happens to not be the case this time. Kona redesigned the Jake line for 2011. Comparing the 2010 JtS (which is mostly identical to 2009 and 2008) to the 2011 JtS, you'll see the bottom bracket is now BB30 rather than standard threaded, the bottom bracket is lower, the seat tube angles are steeper, the chain stays are shorter and the steerer is now tapered with an integrated headset. There are also some component differences, not least of which is the move to Shimano's new 105 group. Just about the only thing that's the same here is the name.

    That said, I would absolutely buy the 2009 JtS over the 2011 TriCross.

  6. #6
    Senior Member meanwhile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,033
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
    While this is often true, it happens to not be the case this time. Kona redesigned the Jake line for 2011. Comparing the 2010 JtS (which is mostly identical to 2009 and 2008) to the 2011 JtS, you'll see the bottom bracket is now BB30 rather than standard threaded, the bottom bracket is lower, the seat tube angles are steeper, the chain stays are shorter and the steerer is now tapered with an integrated headset. There are also some component differences, not least of which is the move to Shimano's new 105 group. Just about the only thing that's the same here is the name.
    Very detailed - thank you This is another problem with meaningless yearly model changes - they obscure real changes, when they rarely occur!

  7. #7
    Senior Member captnfantastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hammerville
    Posts
    779
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't like the way it looks buy the tri cross instead! My cross bike has 9 speed tiagra... it works wonderfully. Don't worry about a group that is mildly better over the overall look of your bike! Felt makes a great bike too. I am about to pick up a felt SS cross.
    DROP THE HAMMER!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know why the felt F35X was only made for one year? That is what worries me about that particular bike, seems like they built it for 2009 and then stopped.

  9. #9
    All Bikes All The Time Sawtooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Boise, ID
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed
    Posts
    2,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwilde1 View Post
    thanks for the advise on the breaks. It sounds like the older one is a much better deal. I wish it wasn't so ugly, I am not a fan of the forest green and white.

    Any thoughts on the Felt F35X, it looks like it has the same components but is missing some eyelets for mounting a rack...
    I am not really a fan of the green either. I just bought a 2010 (blue and black) JTS. I was always going to buy a year old JTS as a commuter/pit bike but I just could not bring myself to do it in 2010 due to the fact that I could not stand the 2009 graphics. I did buy one (2009) and build it up for my buddy in 2010, however. He loves his.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jc I was wondering where you live? I have been wanting a 2009 jake the snake but am unable to find that model around me anymore. I love the green.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Kansas City. They have a few of the 2009's in stock.

    This forum has been a huge help but unfortunately I have found more choices than just the ones I posed at the start of this post and I have got to ride several bikes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •