Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Missoula Mt
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Need help picking my starter bike

    This is my first post on this forum, and actually any forum! I am new to the biking scene and I am trying to pick a new starter bike. I found a trek PDX 2011 for $500(which i think is a good deal) at my local shop. i think this would be a good bike to start using for commuter rides and some mild cyclocross training that i can then build up to be more aggressive as time goes by. for the time being it will primarily be used for commuting to school and work, and for casual group rides. I am trying to determine if this is a good deal, a good bike, and a good idea in general. thank you so much and i look forward to your responses!

  2. #2
    .
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Moots Psychlo-x ybb, Soma ES, Trek 950
    Posts
    3,768
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably great as a commuter, but I wouldn't choose it for cross racing. For $500 you can probably get a lightly used full on cross bike.
    Demented internet tail wagging imbicile.

  3. #3
    Senior Member meanwhile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,033
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by knobster View Post
    Probably great as a commuter, but I wouldn't choose it for cross racing. For $500 you can probably get a lightly used full on cross bike.
    In most places you have wait years for a used crosser to come along in your size. Of course some people will ship used bikes bought on ebay, but I suspect shipping a bike far across the US isn't cheap???

    $500 should buy a pretty decent crosser ***new*** from BikesDirect. Most people are happy with them from the forum chatter I pick up - but it helps if you're willing to do some tweaking and checking yourself, or can put a few extra dollars aside to get a mechanic to do it. Look at:

    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/cross_bikes.htm

    For versatility I'd pick a triple chainring bike:

    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._cross_cx3.htm

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Missoula Mt
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the responses. I think i am going to continue ahead and get the pdx, swap out the bars for either a swept back or flat bar, get some spd's as soon as i can afford some shoes, throw on a water bottle holder, a chain guide, a comp and some lights and just run it as a daily commuter. once ive been really riding for a while ill try to sell it out and move up to a cross, or probably just start putting one together piece by piece for the next few years. I am thinking of taking off the disk brakes right away and switching to cantilever brakes. do you think this would be a good idea? can i get any money out of those disk brakes?
    Last edited by htathelizzo; 03-20-11 at 03:17 PM.

  5. #5
    One-track, one-speed mind XianRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    My Bikes
    Surly Karate Monkey, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Rustbelt Marco polo bike
    Posts
    358
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disc brakes offer more stopping power, especially in the front. If you're commuting, why not keep them on? As far as I know (anybody can correct me if I'm wrong), disc brakes provide better stopping power in the elements, such as rain. I'm assuming you'll still commute when it rains, so the disc brakes will be an added bonus.
    Go bike yourself.

  6. #6
    .
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Moots Psychlo-x ybb, Soma ES, Trek 950
    Posts
    3,768
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by htathelizzo View Post
    Thank you for the responses. I think i am going to continue ahead and get the pdx, swap out the bars for either a swept back or flat bar, get some spd's as soon as i can afford some shoes, throw on a water bottle holder, a chain guide, a comp and some lights and just run it as a daily commuter. once ive been really riding for a while ill try to sell it out and move up to a cross, or probably just start putting one together piece by piece for the next few years. I am thinking of taking off the disk brakes right away and switching to cantilever brakes. do you think this would be a good idea? can i get any money out of those disk brakes?
    Why reduce your braking performance with canti's?
    Demented internet tail wagging imbicile.

  7. #7
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 1999 Kona Muni Mula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    6,968
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by htathelizzo View Post
    Thank you for the responses. I think i am going to continue ahead and get the pdx, swap out the bars for either a swept back or flat bar, get some spd's as soon as i can afford some shoes, throw on a water bottle holder, a chain guide, a comp and some lights and just run it as a daily commuter. once ive been really riding for a while ill try to sell it out and move up to a cross, or probably just start putting one together piece by piece for the next few years. I am thinking of taking off the disk brakes right away and switching to cantilever brakes. do you think this would be a good idea? can i get any money out of those disk brakes?
    You probably wouldn't get more than $20 for those brakes, and you can't put cantis on the PDX anyway.

    If you're open to tinkering with the parts and you don't want disc brakes, look for a good used late 80's mountain bike. You can probably find one for around $100 and work on the parts upgrades from there. This also has the advamtage that a used late 80's mountain bike will be worth almost exactly the same in a few years as it is now, whereas the new PDX will lose a lot of it's value as soon as take it out of the shop. With some judicious part upgrades, the old mountain bike could also be lighter than the PDX.

  8. #8
    One-track, one-speed mind XianRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    My Bikes
    Surly Karate Monkey, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Rustbelt Marco polo bike
    Posts
    358
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
    If you're open to tinkering with the parts and you don't want disc brakes, look for a good used late 80's mountain bike. You can probably find one for around $100 and work on the parts upgrades from there. This also has the advamtage that a used late 80's mountain bike will be worth almost exactly the same in a few years as it is now, whereas the new PDX will lose a lot of it's value as soon as take it out of the shop. With some judicious part upgrades, the old mountain bike could also be lighter than the PDX.
    Ha, you sound like my buddy, which is a good thing; not bashing you. He loves the old chromoly MTB farmes. His polo frame is an old Diamondback static/acid wash. He also picked up a Scwhinn Sidewinder a few weeks ago. They're bombproof frames that make for fun tinkering.
    Go bike yourself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •