For the Brake FAQ: V-brake questions
Help *much* appreciated!
1. Disadvantages of vees? Just clearance? I've always found the modulation to be poor, but I'm told some brakes (Avid Single Digits?) overcome this?
2. Any particular problems with using Travel Agents?
3. Vees plus TAs vs Mini Vees - how to decide?
4. Any recommended models for cross? Any hints?
5. Big question: can anyone compare vees to properly set up (fork mounted hanger, tuned straddle cable) cantis?
Compared to brakes on bikes I've previously owned, I really like my V-brakes. Disc brakes are probably better in the wet.
The rear can get gunked up with crud pretty quickly. Front, not so much. So I run V-brake+TA in front and low-profile canti in back, seems to match up pretty well.
Originally Posted by meanwhile