Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Which shoe would you choose?

    Last season I used my old Sidis (which are to narrow) and my feet hated them. So I'm thinking about Northwave Striker SBS, Northwave Rebel SBS, or Bontrager? Anyone race in any of these or other wide shoes and have opinions?

    I did search for wide CX racing shoes, but none make specific comparisons Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Specialized shoes are fairly wide. I like 'em

  3. #3
    Senior Member Sourpuss Magee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    323
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe Lake shoes have wide sizes available.
    Every word is like an unnecessary stain on silence and nothingness.

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sidis also have a wide version.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CT, VT
    Posts
    269
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch the weight. Last year I bought a pair of Lake wide shoes and they weigh a ton, probably because they use a Vibram sole. I just replaced them with Sidi Megas.
    Last edited by ct-vt-trekker; 06-07-11 at 05:53 AM.
    2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem, 2010 Specialized Tricross Sport, 2006 Trek Madone 5.2, 1995 Specialized Rockhopper A1 FS

  6. #6
    Senior Member telebianchi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    My Bikes
    2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2010 Giant Trance, 2006 K2 Mod 4.0, 2010 Schwinn Madison
    Posts
    1,241
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonD View Post
    Sidis also have a wide version.
    You still need to try them on. I've only checked the lower-priced SIDIs, but the normal squish my toes while the wides leave my feet swimming.
    May your tires or beer never be flat.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks all for the notes. i went to my lbs which carries specialized and asked about the pro "wide". they said specialzied's wide version have the same soles as the norma version, but with a larger foot volume...they also said sidi megas are wider (which i have currently and are too narrow).

    i'm a 40-eee which is a hard size to fit

  8. #8
    Riding like its 1990 thenomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    IE, SoCal
    Posts
    3,639
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have wide feet and found Adidas shoes a while back, road shoes but they feel good. Now they need better insole inserts but still feel fine width wise.

    I also agree Specialized seem to be wider than most euro brands. Just got a set of mtn specialized shoes ad they fit very nice. I've still got to put some mils on them to see how they fare long term.
    My blog about rides, bikes and builds: ridesgoneby.blogspot.com

  9. #9
    Senior Member Werkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Posts
    418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsutaoka View Post
    ...i went to my lbs which carries specialized and asked about the pro "wide". they said specialzied's wide version have the same soles as the norma version, but with a larger foot volume...they also said sidi megas are wider...
    I ordered "wide" in the Pro MTB, it was not wide enough, and it certainly didn't have enough "volume" for my high instep, in fact it wasn't any wider than going up a full size & half in regular width, which for Specialized is quite a bit larger. I think you made the right decision avoiding those with your EEE foot.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Werkin View Post
    I ordered "wide" in the Pro MTB, it was not wide enough, and it certainly didn't have enough "volume" for my high instep, in fact it wasn't any wider than going up a full size & half in regular width, which for Specialized is quite a bit larger. I think you made the right decision avoiding those with your EEE foot.
    thanks Werkin. did you end up trying another brand?

  11. #11
    Senior Member Werkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Posts
    418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diadora, Lake, and Shimano; a Lake road shoe felt good standing, but produced hot spots on the bike, and were too thick on the inside ankle causing crankarm contact, the BOA wires on that model dug-in also. I realize you are interested in Cross use, I mention the Lake road shoe because that model in CX/C size was the widest to date, more so than the MX/C MTB shoe I tried.

    I'm waiting for Sidi Megas, and I hope to have better fit than your experience. I've been stuffed into standard width Sidis for ten years (Megas weren't available when I purchased), a distributor spokesperson said the last changed in 2010 so Mega sizing overall should be larger than previous versions.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Werkin View Post
    Diadora, Lake, and Shimano; a Lake road shoe felt good standing, but produced hot spots on the bike, and were too thick on the inside ankle causing crankarm contact, the BOA wires on that model dug-in also. I realize you are interested in Cross use, I mention the Lake road shoe because that model in CX/C size was the widest to date, more so than the MX/C MTB shoe I tried.

    I'm waiting for Sidi Megas, and I hope to have better fit than your experience. I've been stuffed into standard width Sidis for ten years (Megas weren't available when I purchased), a distributor spokesperson said the last changed in 2010 so Mega sizing overall should be larger than previous versions.
    Werkin thanks again. Let me know your experience with the 2010+ Sidi wides...as mine are pre-2010. As for Lakes, I did try on a pair and were too narrow They also seemed very heavy + somewhat flexy sole. both not really desirable for norcal cross courses.

  13. #13
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    1,746
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about Shimano Sandals? then, width is an adjustment of the straps .


    Back of Velo News has custom cycling shoe makers listed.

    .. the last resort of the chronically hard to fit.
    Last edited by fietsbob; 06-08-11 at 11:32 AM.

  14. #14
    Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz cc700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    seattle
    My Bikes
    tirove
    Posts
    8,544
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am STARING DOWN THE BARREL at these:


    and also thinking of specialized, sidi and shimano.

    i don't need or want to spend much money on shoes but i really really need something better than the paincases that are my three year old adidas marathon mtbs.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    How about Shimano Sandals? then, width is an adjustment of the straps .


    Back of Velo News has custom cycling shoe makers listed.

    .. the last resort of the chronically hard to fit.
    thanks, but i'm not ready for last resort or sandals for racing. i did end up getting custom d2s for road racing...but dirt seems a bit harder on shoes.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cc700 View Post
    I am STARING DOWN THE BARREL at these:


    and also thinking of specialized, sidi and shimano.

    i don't need or want to spend much money on shoes but i really really need something better than the paincases that are my three year old adidas marathon mtbs.
    if your feet are wide, you won't like mavic. i tried them on and they're the most narrow on your list

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for all the comments. i ended up with northwave rebels. a lbs had my size. they're not the lightest, nor stiffest, nor sexiest...but they fit! if you have wide feet, i'd recommend checking them out.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Werkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Posts
    418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsutaoka View Post
    ... i ended up with northwave rebels...they fit!...
    Glad to hear, good for you!

    My Mega Sidis arrived and they are plenty large enough; whole size for wide feet, half size for huge feet. I have the half size and if I wasn't desperate for toe room, I would exchange for a whole size. The extra space does allow more air circulation. The sole has a little flex BTW.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Werkin View Post
    Glad to hear, good for you!

    My Mega Sidis arrived and they are plenty large enough; whole size for wide feet, half size for huge feet. I have the half size and if I wasn't desperate for toe room, I would exchange for a whole size. The extra space does allow more air circulation. The sole has a little flex BTW.
    Werkin, thanks for all the advice and comments. good luck with the Sidis...and have fun riding!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •