CX’rs – I’m thinking about buying a CX bike. I’m an expert level MTB rider and an accomplished roadie from many years back. I have a road bike now and love how much it helps my fitness on the mountain bike. I know that I would be compromising some of the speed I have over my current road bike but I want to keep that to a minimum. What I’m looking for is a CX bike that handles more like a road bike. Perhaps steeper geometry (less slack seat & head tubes)???
I don’t intend on racing CX, but I would like a road bike that is dirt worthy, preferably with a carbon fork for comfort and weight savings. I intend on selling the road bike and just use the CX bike for all road and light trail duty.
A couple bikes have caught my eye and would like your esteemed opinions about them.
Frame, fork, component mix and wheels.
1. Bianchi Axis – Carbon fork, 105 shifter/levers, Sugino cranks, Alex wheels
2. Aquila MegaCX – Carbon fork, full 105 group, Aerohead Pro wheels
3. Cannondale CX – Non Disc – Carbon fork, Tiagra shifters, some 105 stuff, TruVativ Elita SL Cross cranks, Gipiemme wheels.
Here is a link for each of the bikes…
At the risk of being unpopular, I have discounted a number of bikes for a number of reasons. While all of these bikes are probably more dirt worthy than what I’m looking at, I’m not sure that they would fit the right niche for me.
1. Redline Conquest – too slack for the road riding I want to do, steel fork
2. Kona Jake the Snake – Same as above
3. Lemond Poprad – Same as above, steel frame (please don’t lecture me on steel)
4. Kelly – Same as above & price of building complete bike.
Thanks for your opinions,