Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edwardsville or Chicago Illinois
    My Bikes
    Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
    Posts
    9,573
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Which front brake cable hanger?

    I've never liked the fit of a short cable hanger.



    Mine needs to be off-set to one side which effects alignment!

    IRD makes an extra-long hanger: http://www.interlocracing.com/cablehanger.html

    Has anyone tried it?
    Any alternatives?
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-05-11 at 08:09 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Commodus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Burnaby, BC
    Posts
    4,144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried several and they all have the same problem!

    I'm going to make my own. I'm a machinist. If I get something that works I'll post it up on here. Maybe I'll make some extras and give 'em away for the cost of material.

    I'm thinking of a 1/8th spacer and an extra deep drop, maybe one of those little elbows to fit.

  3. #3
    Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edwardsville or Chicago Illinois
    My Bikes
    Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
    Posts
    9,573
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Commodus View Post
    I've tried several and they all have the same problem!

    I'm going to make my own. I'm a machinist. If I get something that works I'll post it up on here. Maybe I'll make some extras and give 'em away for the cost of material.

    I'm thinking of a 1/8th spacer and an extra deep drop, maybe one of those little elbows to fit.
    I like this idea! It would reduce brake shudder also. Does a long hanger cause any loading on the headset?

    What about a hanger that is installed on the fork? Something like this: http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1805

  4. #4
    Senior Member GrayJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    EagleRiver AK
    Posts
    1,230
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    I like this idea! It would reduce brake shudder also. Does a long hanger cause any loading on the headset?

    What about a hanger that is installed on the fork? Something like this: http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1805
    fork mount hangars are the ticket for reducing/eliminating brake shudder. Read Zinn's explanation;
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/...o-cross_101807

  5. #5
    Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edwardsville or Chicago Illinois
    My Bikes
    Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
    Posts
    9,573
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    fork mount hangars are the ticket for reducing/eliminating brake shudder. Read Zinn's explanation;
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/...o-cross_101807
    Is anyone using one? Can I still hang a fender if I install this unit?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Commodus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Burnaby, BC
    Posts
    4,144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not using a fork mounted hanger myself, but I briefly tried and had problems with clearance for the fancy cable-straddle thingy I like to use. The ones from Tektro.

    I've heard they are the solution though, maybe I just had the wrong one.

    Maybe I should make one of those instead...

  7. #7
    pmt
    pmt is offline
    Experienced
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great one. No brake shudder for me. http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=21838

  8. #8
    Senior Member GrayJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    EagleRiver AK
    Posts
    1,230
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    Is anyone using one? Can I still hang a fender if I install this unit?
    I am using a fork hangar, it was a huge improvement for my braking. It should not contribute to fender clearance problems.

  9. #9
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BR 3362, [QBP SKU]
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=40518
    looks like a fairly deep drop clamp on hanger with some substance to it,
    there is another version made to integrate with a cane creek Interlok headset and spacer set
    presume it has the grooves on both faces.

    integrated in headset:http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...5&category=726
    Of course it is possible to just go over the stem and back to the opposite side ,
    and thus make a longer cable run , but with smoother curves.
    Last edited by fietsbob; 10-12-11 at 03:00 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •