Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quick frame / bike advice needed - moving to a CX Addict or Kona Major Snake

    I currently have stuck to road bike, have a Madone.
    I want to purchase a CX bike for some gravel and mud rides out in the country. I will also tour with the bike and commute.

    I have searched around and found a 2011 Major Snake Ultegera and Addict CX Rival for $1500 (lightly used)

    My own research is leading towards the Jake, because of slightly more road geometry.

    Opinions?

  2. #2
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 1999 Kona Muni Mula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    7,023
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given your intended use, I think the base level Jake would be better than the Major Jake. Sure, the Major Jake is all carbony and everything, but that's a bad thing for touring. The base level Jake, on the other hand, adds a triple crankset and eyelets for rack and fenders. The new Tiagra stuff is plety good enough for gravel and mud rides out in the country.

  3. #3
    All Bikes All The Time Sawtooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Boise, ID
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed
    Posts
    2,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to agree with Andy_K on this one. Carbony race bikes are AWESOME fun to ride and have their place but I would probably not tour on one. I would, however, do extended Credit Card touring on one.

    The exception in your description might be if the types of off road adventure riding you are doing will be with ultra fast club/team racing type riders. But even then I have seen many situations where someone was out in front on an old FUJI aluminum cross bike and having the bling just was not that big of a deal.

    I have a scandium Major Jake and can't think of anything it can't do (besided technical off road fast descents). I reach for it just about every day but I probably would choose my Jake the Snake or a Jake (if I had one) if I intended to load one up with racks/panniers.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
    Going to agree with Andy_K on this one. Carbony race bikes are AWESOME fun to ride and have their place but I would probably not tour on one. I would, however, do extended Credit Card touring on one.

    The exception in your description might be if the types of off road adventure riding you are doing will be with ultra fast club/team racing type riders. But even then I have seen many situations where someone was out in front on an old FUJI aluminum cross bike and having the bling just was not that big of a deal.

    I have a scandium Major Jake and can't think of anything it can't do (besided technical off road fast descents). I reach for it just about every day but I probably would choose my Jake the Snake or a Jake (if I had one) if I intended to load one up with racks/panniers.
    I want a light race oriented cx bike for country roads. I don't ever carBaganda and junk all over my bike. I carry a large camelbak. By touring I mean longer 50-100 mile charity races and rides.

    Mostly I want to train on gravel and light trails for fitness but still have the road bike feel for commuting. Some group rides with the ability to hang with roadies if i want (mostly due to my legs of course) I like carbon. I'm going to get carbon. I would ride ti, but right now I found good deals on the mentioned bikes.

  5. #5
    All Bikes All The Time Sawtooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Boise, ID
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed
    Posts
    2,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchEtech View Post
    I want a light race oriented cx bike for country roads. I don't ever carBaganda and junk all over my bike. I carry a large camelbak. By touring I mean longer 50-100 mile charity races and rides.

    Mostly I want to train on gravel and light trails for fitness but still have the road bike feel for commuting. Some group rides with the ability to hang with roadies if i want (mostly due to my legs of course) I like carbon. I'm going to get carbon. I would ride ti, but right now I found good deals on the mentioned bikes.
    Ok, that is quite different from what I originally thought. In that case carbon will be wonderful. I don't own the carbon MJ but my scandium one is probably my favorite bike I have ever owned (including my carbon tarmac). I am sure the addict is a great bike too but I can't speak highly enough of the Major Jake or the entire Jake series. Fun to ride, great to race, do anything-bikes.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't find a whole lot of reviews for either bike. They are similar in weight and price. The Jake appears to be a bit more road bike in geometry. Jake has Ultegra, Scott Rival. But an all around fun bikes exactly what I'm after.

  7. #7
    Senior Member IcySmooth52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portland, ME
    My Bikes
    Lapierre Xelius, Marin Palisades Trail 29er, & Trek T1
    Posts
    1,094
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd personally be going Jake instead of Addict because of a preference in handling. Quicker on a turn.
    '15 Lapierre Xelius 200 "Layla" - '13 Marin Palisades Trail SE 29er "Matilda" - '11 Trek T1 "Voskhod"

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked up the Jake. I almost forgot what it was like to ride off pavement without fear!

    I was a SRAM guy and still prefer it, but ultegra is definitely more quiet and smooth.

    With road tires I really can't tell it's not a road bike, but then agin I dont ride with an aggressive set up.

  9. #9
    All Bikes All The Time Sawtooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Boise, ID
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed
    Posts
    2,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchEtech View Post
    Picked up the Jake. I almost forgot what it was like to ride off pavement without fear!

    I was a SRAM guy and still prefer it, but ultegra is definitely more quiet and smooth.

    With road tires I really can't tell it's not a road bike, but then agin I dont ride with an aggressive set up.
    Glad you like it ArchEtech. Keep us posted. One thing to consider is selling the ultegra before it gets "used" and putting sram on it. Would be pretty easy and probably not cost you too much.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •